5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package vs. DIY

popcenator

Reaction score
I will be honest, I mainly picked the Rebel because I love the way it looks. I don't have many places to off road locally but I would definitely use the truck for what it is built for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The eLocker is wonderful, but I cannot get the hill descent to work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 4Lo and and the locker has worked for me, but I haven't figured out the *trick* yet. Does it have to be in park first?
From the Owner's Manual:

HDC 1.jpg

HDC 2.jpg

HDC 3.jpg

This is from the Owner's Manual (20MB free download on-line), not the User's Guide that comes in your glove box when you buy the truck (which makes no mention about Hill Descent Control).

Last edited:

STR

Reaction score
That black interior looks great. The ventilated seats would be nice, but aren’t a deal breaker for me.
Thx. I have the ventilated seats in other vehicles, and they are nice, but wasn’t a must have on my Rebel. My neighbor was just over and raving about the 19 speaker/950 watt HK system, and reminiscing about his one dash speaker in his ‘82 Ram. They’ve certainly come a long way with the creature comforts :D

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I absolutely would've loved to have a rebel but 4WD Auto was something I really wanted. I'm in Georgia and we don't get much snow but we do deal with lots of black ice. So being able to put the truck in 4Auto in those conditions makes me feel a little bit safer. Let's be honest - the most off roading my truck sees is going down my gravel driveway 90% of the time lol. The off road group comes as part of my Built to Serve truck so I was happy to have it. On a recent trip to the mountains I was glad to have 4lo. I like that it gives me the option to do some light off roading in the future if I so choose but I'm going to be going down mountain trails and stuff to camp. Nothing too off the beaten path so the tech in the Rebel would've been lost on me.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up with a Laramie with ORP, though admittedly I prefer the look of the Rebel. Creature comforts won out, for me. Electronic passenger seat, cooled seats, and reclining rear seats were all important features to my family of 5. I must say, the only thing I liked better about the Rebel package was the interior trim pieces and lower front bumper.... nothing functional for my uses, but definitely caught my eye.

I elected to do my own suspension, so I lifted the front to level it, spaced the wheels out, and put on a set of Rebel takeoffs. Topped it off with removal of the front wind dams and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
3ab2966b8b1fcd79879354bd0bf92981.jpg

Last edited:

southernyoop

Reaction score
I ended up with a Laramie with ORP, though admittedly I prefer the look of the Rebel. Creature comforts won out, for me. Electronic passenger seat, cooled seats, and reclining rear seats were all important features to my family of 5. I must say, the only thing I liked better about the Rebel package was the interior trim pieces and lower front bumper.... nothing functional for my uses, but definitely caught my eye.

I elected to do my own suspension, so I lifted the front to level it, spaced the wheels out, and put on a set of Rebel takeoffs. Topped it off with removal of the front wind dams and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
3ab2966b8b1fcd79879354bd0bf92981.jpg
Nice looking truck, and thank you for the great reply!

southernyoop

Reaction score
.....I like that it gives me the option to do some light off roading in the future if I so choose but I'm going to be going down mountain trails and stuff to camp....
I think I’d be in a similar situation, I‘d like to have more capability than my current 2wd Tacoma. And I’m in SC, so the majority of the time the truck would be in 2wd.

But since this is a “safe space” for irrational truck thoughts....the idea of having a truck that is able to be a daily driver and handle itself off the beaten path has me thinking more about the Off Road Package on a Laramie/Big Horn.

southernyoop

Reaction score
I think I’d be in a similar situation, I‘d like to have more capability than my current 2wd Tacoma. And I’m in SC, so the majority of the time the truck would be in 2wd.

But since this is a “safe space” for irrational truck thoughts....the idea of having a truck that is able to be a daily driver and handle itself off the beaten path has me thinking more about the Off Road Package on a Laramie/Big Horn.
.....and maybe a Rebel...haha.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Originally I wanted a rebel but didn’t want to go without leather seats and a few of the other options the Laramie had. I ended up with a Laramie Sport with off road package. I did a bit of customizing to make it look meaner and have been very happy with it. I believe more options are available on the Rebels now, if so, a Rebel with the Laramie interior would be fantastic

2slow95vert

Reaction score
I just got a Laramie because I prefer the way it looks, wanted the ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, and the 360 camera (among other things). I'll be adding the Mopar lift with bigger tires and will have the best of both worlds.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I would have loved a rebel probably just as much as my laramie. I went with the Laramie for the price. I wanted V8 and ventilated seats and this was the cheapest way to get them. I'm not going to do any serious off roading but do plan to do a level lift and slightly larger tires when these need to be replaced. The Rebel would have been overkill for my use, but I would drive one based on the looks alone.

Helmetface

Reaction score
I ordered my 2019 Big Horn North Edition because I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend that much money and not get everything I want!

Despite popular opinion, I personally like look of a color matched Big Horn over the Rebel. Something about that grill just doesn't do it for me.

I absolutely did not want leather seats or trim, but I did want a number of creature comforts.

I ended up with 5.7, ORP/North, pano roof, 8.4", LED lighting (a must IMO), 3.92's, 33 gal tank and probably another paragraph of options I'm forgetting.

She does what I need her to do and looks mean as hell in the process!

20200725_113101.jpg

JimD007

Reaction score
I got a Tradesman because of price and because I wanted a work truck - something I can haul stuff in without feeling bad about it. It looks a little like the blacked out look of fancier models with the black bumpers and paint. I could paint the wheels and get closer. I like the vinyl floors because they are super easy to clean. I am fine without the plastic trim pieces hiding the jack better under the passenger's seat. I really like the two compartments below the passengers feet for tie down stuff. My son-in-law has a much nicer Tradesman but it listed for about $10K more. He takes clients in it so it probably makes sense for him. But for me, I am happy with my very basic model. I did go to an aftermarket radio, however.

southernyoop

Reaction score
I ordered my 2019 Big Horn North Edition because I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend that much money and not get everything I want!

Despite popular opinion, I personally like look of a color matched Big Horn over the Rebel. Something about that grill just doesn't do it for me.

I absolutely did not want leather seats or trim, but I did want a number of creature comforts.

I ended up with 5.7, ORP/North, pano roof, 8.4", LED lighting (a must IMO), 3.92's, 33 gal tank and probably another paragraph of options I'm forgetting.

She does what I need her to do and looks mean as hell in the process!

View attachment 63264
That is one great looking truck. What tires/rims do you have?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Laramie with 5.7 eTorque (lot of stop and go here in SoCal), off road package, HK sound, power side steps (as I like how they look and that they do not stick out), 33 gal gas tank, and 4 corner air (easier to get in and out and when we do go off road easy to lift).

live in SoCal so easy to go from beach to mountain to desert for hiking and camping (some of the trail heads especially on the PCT require 4 wheel to get to).

went with the short bed which works for our kayaks and it also barely fits in the garage.

wife loves the vented and heated seats and I really like the adaptive cruise and rain sense wipers. Not a fan of lane sense nor auto highbeams.

also did not do the sun roof. Had one on my grand Cherokee and seldom used it as it would get to hot or to bright. I find the it is cooler and quieter insider without it.

just my couple of cents.

jholder70

Reaction score
I also like the look of the Rebel, I even had a first Gen rebel in 2013. I decided to go this time with the 2020 LAR/ORP Night Edition what ultimately won out was a little cheaper after the deal then the Rebel, the Rebels they had all had the graphics packages (not a big fan of) and the Red interior (it's nice but not my taste - they did not have a Rebel Black). and lastly, the few extra creatures comforts inside, 19 speakers, full leather, ventilated states, Auto 4WD. Also for what .5% of off-roading I will do.
E6B8F230-F8CF-479D-9060-C1E2E67912EE_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread