5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package vs. DIY

southernyoop

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m super new to the forum and so far I’m really enjoying all of the content.

I’m seriously looking at upgrading my current truck to a Ram. After scrolling through and seeing some of the great builds/mods that have been done on here, it got me thinking.....

What made you choose your trim level when you went with your Ram?

What about the Rebel put it ahead of a Laramie/Big Horn with the Off-Road Group?

Or if you decided to go directly towards the after market route, what trim level and factory features did you select? And more importantly, what did you wish you had now?

I understand that a lot of this is based on personal preference and lifestyle, but I’m guessing that I’m not the only “newbie” wondering this kind of thing.

I look forward to the responses and appreciate your feedback.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the rebel as well. I really like how it looks, on the outside and inside. One thing that’s tough tho is that there’s quite a few accessories that don’t work with the Rebel. You gotta be careful with lifts and some exterior mods since the rebel is quite a bit different from the other trims. I was torn between a rebel and Laramie. I would’ve loved a classy looking lifted Laramie lol but I have no regrets

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Rebel fits my style and my needs/wants. I wanted a more "basic truck" with great performance and off-road capabilities. Love exterior styling as well as the interior (mine is a 2019 so lots of red accents). Rebel some great standard features I was looking for including Goodyear DuraTracs, a small lift, great suspension (whether you go with air or spring suspension), 3.92 with E Locker. It doesn't include many of the things that I don't want.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Went with a Rebel, fell in love with it on the dealership lot. The exterior styling, love the red interior accents (you can get black if you want), plus the off-road suspension and E-locker & 33" tires got me hooked on it.

You can spec one from very basic to very loaded as well depending on your tastes. Regardless of spec, it looks premium and gets a lot of attention.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of us that went with the Rebel (myself included) did so because of the looks. I did not like the way the Laramies looked, and I didn't like the interior styling. You can basically make a Laramie a more luxurious Rebel if you get the right options. I was torn between a Laramie with cooled seats and 360 camera vs my Rebel. Just didn't like the looks. When I park next to my friend's Laramie Sport or my co-worker's Laramie mine just looks mean.

If I really wanted to I could put the 360 camera in my Rebel, and I'm looking into having cooled seats. I just haven't had the time to dig into the bucket seats to see if the perforations are true holes or just "styling".

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel was what I wanted as far as the outside goes but didn't like the reduced options available and the red accents aren't my thing. Plus the price point was a little higher than my budget and there weren't as many incentives available for the Rebel at the time I purchased (March 2019).

It came down to a Laramie with fewer options or a Big Horn with all the options I wanted. I went with a loaded Big Horn and I bridged the gap with the ORP.

Last edited:

greels1

Reaction score
I went with a Bighorn North Edition (which includes the off road group). At the time I was looking, the Rebel's only option was the red interior which wasn't exactly my style. Also, with my lifestyle and winter driving the 4wd auto was a creature comfort that I wanted. I don't do much actual off roading at all so i didn't need the beefed up suspension, etc that the rebel offers.

The one thing on the Rebel that I loved the look of was the tires/wheels. So I found a set and put them on my truck. I couldn't be happier.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there's also ton's of people on this forum who sell their rebel wheels and tires as a set in the buy/sell section. that's how i sold mine
Yup, sold mine in about 2 weeks. I would guess to say most of the Rebel owners are looking to swap for 9+ inch wide wheels anyway for bigger tires.

STR

Reaction score
The Rebel was what I wanted as far as the outside goes but didn't like the reduced options available and the red accents aren't my thing. Plus the price point was a little higher than my budget and there weren't as many incentives available for the Rebel at the time I purchased (March 2019).

It came down to a Laramie with fewer options or a Big Horn with all the options I wanted. I went with a loaded Big Horn and I bridged the gap with the ORP.
Aside from the ventilated seats, rear heated seats, and a couple other things, the Rebel can be equipped out the yin-yang. As far as red accents, you can now elect the all black interior, which is what I did:
FD5FC712-1C3E-4867-A93F-01475DB9BFF6.jpeg

orange01z28

Reaction score
I wanted the Rebel because I wanted to be able to go wheeling without any mods. Being equipped with 33s, an E-locker, skid plates, and 3.92s make it a beast right from the factory

I recently found out on here it has a better (for off-roading) T case than the rest of the line as well

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My take is this. The Off Road Group is what RAM has needed for a long time.

The REBEL is a factory custom truck like The Adult Toys by Dodge from the 70s. It has different looks and a different style. It gives you a slightly more capable truck right off the factory floor.

It comes with the proper transfer case for off roading. If you are going off pavement more than a few tines a year...a Tradesman with ORG or REBEL are the trim you want. They are the only 2 trims to get the 48-12 part time transfer case.

If you get the other trims with the ORG you get the 48-11 with the 4wd auto. That is great for on road inclement weather...but as a few here have found out...not so good for off road.

Starting with the ORG is a good idea for what comes standard that isnt easily added latter.

Hill Descent Control is valuable once you learn how to use it. Off road the eLocker will also pay for itself.

If you are going to lift the truck and add your own flare too it...any of the trims are a good choice.

You can get the eLocker as a stand alone option aswell.

The selling point for ORG on other trims is you can get the 3.21 if you like.

Of course, soon the TRX will be out. Can not wait to see the trickle down for all RAM 1500 trims.

Myke

Reaction score
My first Dodge of any kind is the 2020 Rebel I recently purchased. I was coming from a Nissan Frontier Pro4x w/ 6” FabTech lift, 20” rims, etc. A decent 4x4 - I can honestly say I never got stuck with it hunting all over TX, CO, NE, WY and home in WI. But, both factory and after market parts were scarce at times. I needed a larger dealer network than Nissan USA.

Truck wise, I wanted a slightly larger truck, a lift, skid plates, decent mud / snow tires, better gas mileage, a transmission system which favored off road - as many FACTORY off road attributes as possible. I accepted the 6 cyl motor and a quad cab since I am not hauling kids, just hunting gear behind the seat. Picked my Rebel up for just under $41k before taxes. Adding a tonneau cover, nerf bars, and I am at $42.5k. I can not replicate this kind of truck with the other brands or Ram models without much modification and added cost. I get 18-20 mpg; hauls my 3 trailers (each <3000#); it even fits in the garage, since I can fold the mirrors in with the touch of a button. The ride is great, and even with a 6 cyl the engine accelerates smoothly. The 8 cyl Rebels tended to be loaded, and much higher priced. And it just feels much more like a “real” truck as I cannot stand that feeling of having my azz in a bucket when driving a Taco or a Ranger.

Last edited:

orange01z28

Reaction score
My first Dodge of any kind is the 2020 Rebel I recently purchased. I was coming from a Nissan Frontier Pro4x w/ 6” FabTech lift, 20” rims, etc. A decent 4x4 - I can honestly say I never got stuck with it hunting all over TX, CO, NE, WY and home in WI. But, both factory and after market parts were scare at times. I needed a larger dealer network than Nissan USA.

Truck wise, I wanted a slightly larger truck, a lift, skid plates, decent mud / snow tires, better gas mileage, a transmission system which favored off road - as many FACTORY off road attributes as possible. I accepted the 6 cyl motor and a quad cab since I am not hauling kids, just hunting gear behind the seat. Picked my Rebel up for just under $41k before taxes. Adding a tonneau cover, nerf bars, and I am at $42.5k. I can not replicate this kind of truck with the other brands or Ram models without much modification and added cost. I get 18-20 mpg; hauls my 3 trailers (each <3000#); it even fits in the garage, since I can fold the mirrors in with the touch of a button. The ride is great, and even with a 6 cyl the engine accelerates smoothly. The 8 cyl Rebels tended to be loaded, and much higher priced. And it just feels much more like a “real” truck as I cannot stand that feeling of having my azz in a bucket when driving a Taco or a Ranger.
V6 QC REBELS UNITE! :LOL::love:

Honestly the back seat is big enough for everyone in my family, it's a big truck

orange01z28

Reaction score
My take is this. The Off Road Group is what RAM has needed for a long time.

The REBEL is a factory custom truck like The Adult Toys by Dodge from the 70s. It has different looks and a different style. It gives you a slightly more capable truck right off the factory floor.

It comes with the proper transfer case for off roading. If you are going off pavement more than a few tines a year...a Tradesman with ORG or REBEL are the trim you want. They are the only 2 trims to get the 48-12 part time transfer case.

If you get the other trims with the ORG you get the 48-11 with the 4wd auto. That is great for on road inclement weather...but as a few here have found out...not so good for off road.

Starting with the ORG is a good idea for what comes standard that isnt easily added latter.

Hill Descent Control is valuable once you learn how to use it. Off road the eLocker will also pay for itself.

If you are going to lift the truck and add your own flare too it...any of the trims are a good choice.

You can get the eLocker as a stand alone option aswell.

The selling point for ORG on other trims is you can get the 3.21 if you like.

Of course, soon the TRX will be out. Can not wait to see the trickle down for all RAM 1500 trims.
The eLocker is wonderful, but I cannot get the hill descent to work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 4Lo and and the locker has worked for me, but I haven't figured out the *trick* yet. Does it have to be in park first?

Users who are viewing this thread