5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package vs. DIY

Renegade3

Reaction score
I love the look of the Rebel but wanted to keep the cost down, plus I'm towing a TT which is why I upgraded from a Jeep JK Willys.
I purchased a Big Horn, level 2 without LEDs (side note - my brother is the GM of a RAM dealership and he took care of me cost-wise.) Mine has the 3.92 rear and I added the LED lights and Rebel Rims/tires. I got the wheels/tires for $600 off of a guy who bought his rebel brand new and lifted it with new wheels and the headlights/fogs from a local shop for $800. I don't do any serious off-roading but wanted the look of the tires and added capability for light off-roading.
Overall I'm super happy with my truck but next time I'll buy a Rebel but since this was a last minute, I killed my Jeep decision, I'm happy!

DivingOtter

Reaction score
The Rebel is, in my opinion, the best looking truck. A close 2nd is a Laramie or Limited trip with the Night Edition and the Off-Road Group. If I were going for looks alone, and especially if I did regular off-roading, I'd go with the Rebel. But...

I will only do occasional/light off-roading and also will spend a good deal of time on the highway at 70+ MPH. Since you can't get the Rebel with the slightly more economical (at least at highway speeds) 3.21 gearing, I decided to go with either a Laramie or Limited with the Off-Road Group.

Also keep in mind that the Rebel has heaver/bigger LT (light truck) rated tires vs 'normal' P/passenger tires like the Laramie and Limited have. LT tires are beefier and heavier and better for towing, hauling, and off-roading, but they also are noisier on the interstate a make you a little slower off-the-line because the tires are usually larger (diameter) and heavier.

Having said that, I rented a 2020 Rebel from a local AVIS, and it rode better and quieter on the interstate than my sedan...just an awesome truck, really, for what it is. Then I test drove a Laramie (with no Air Suspension) with a 3.21 and it was even quieter, with 300 to 400 rpm lower at highway speeds in its extra gear and rode slightly better. So it'll be a Laramie or Limited for me. About ready to pull the trigger on an order.
I've been doing a lot of thinking along the same lines as you and for the same reasons. I don't need one just yet but will be very interested in hearing about your purchase process... I'm probably several months away from a purchase mostly just to save a larger down payment. I really like the look of the Rebel, but the 'bonus' features available in the Laramie will probably win me over since I'm going to be keeping this truck for long term.

Have you decided 4x4 or 4x2?

DevinB

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of thinking along the same lines as you and for the same reasons. I don't need one just yet but will be very interested in hearing about your purchase process... I'm probably several months away from a purchase mostly just to save a larger down payment. I really like the look of the Rebel, but the 'bonus' features available in the Laramie will probably win me over since I'm going to be keeping this truck for long term.

Have you decided 4x4 or 4x2?
4x4 as I will need it, no question, on occasion . And sure, I will post back here when I actually make the order. Happy Hunting.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my North Edition. The Rebel is the trim that brought me back to the Ram pickups. I LOVE it. But after all the dust cleared I came home with the North and then added my own wheels and tires. I personally think it looks better than the Rebel, it has all the equipment the Rebel has, it adds equipment that the Rebel doesn't have, and it's more unique.

20201203_144801_HDR.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love my North Edition. The Rebel is the trim that brought me back to the Ram pickups. I LOVE it. But after all the dust cleared I came home with the North and then added my own wheels and tires. I personally think it looks better than the Rebel, it has all the equipment the Rebel has, it adds equipment that the Rebel doesn't have, and it's more unique.

View attachment 78794
That is a great looking truck. This is exactly what I would do...except 6'4 bed and a HEMI

I am not usually a fan of aftermarket wheels...but those fit the image well

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a great looking truck. This is exactly what I would do...except 6'4 bed and a HEMI

I am not usually a fan of aftermarket wheels...but those fit the image well

I'm going to agree with you on that one, a lot of aftermarket wheels don't speak to me - but this gentleman's setup looks damn near factory!
Very tasteful look.

AE2347

Reaction score

View attachment 78794
Love thee setup! What wheels are those?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love thee setup! What wheels are those?

In that pic I had Vision Nemesis wheels in 20x9 size with 0mm offset, and the tires were 295/60R20 Milestar Patagonia M/T.

I have since switched up to Fuel Rebels in 18x9, and while I do like them, I MISS MY OLD setup! Should have kept those!

AE2347

Reaction score
In that pic I had Vision Nemesis wheels in 20x9 size with 0mm offset, and the tires were 295/60R20 Milestar Patagonia M/T.

I have since switched up to Fuel Rebels in 18x9, and while I do like them, I MISS MY OLD setup! Should have kept those!
Thanks for the info! Was the truck leveled in those pics also?

Users who are viewing this thread