5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

FGildred

Reaction score
Hi FGildred,

I'm sorry to hear that you also are experiencing this. If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Mark at RamCares, should I just contact my local RAM dealer? Just today, I discovered water dripping in. I was hoping to avoid the replacement because I use the truck daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mark at RamCares, should I just contact my local RAM dealer? Just today, I discovered water dripping in. I was hoping to avoid the replacement because I use the truck daily.

the dealer is going to replace the window if your still in warranty. If not, give you the estimate to replace it.

FGildred

Reaction score
the dealer is going to replace the window if your still in warranty. If not, give you the estimate to replace it.

Brought it to the local dealer yesterday and they scheduled the water test. Bummer to have to deal with this, but looks like they are going to handle it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Brought it to the local dealer yesterday and they scheduled the water test. Bummer to have to deal with this, but looks like they are going to handle it.

Hi,
We're glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're available via PM.

Rob
Ram Cares

FGildred

Reaction score

Final update on my 2019 5th Gen...my local dealer did the test and window was replaced. After the water test, they submitted everything and called me a few days later to say all was approved, window replacement was on its way, and they setup an appointment.

Day of appointment I showed up, they took the truck and gave me a rental. By end of the day-I was able to get my truck back with a new window. Left it out in the rain 2 days or so later and no more leaks.

Overall, great service. My local dealer and RAM took good care of me and the truck.

RAM#2

Reaction score
A "Funny" thing happened to my wife as she was driving through the rain about 2 weeks ago... Water was running into the back seat of my 2019. I initially thought the seal was folded/or even tore. I told her to open and close the window and it should be OK. I was wrong, she sent me a picture that showed little to nothing, and she took it straight to the dealer (STARR Motors of Suffolk, VA) who took a look at it the following day and then told her that they needed to check w/ MOPAR Vehicle Protection (which I was provided Free of Charge by FCA due to the many issues that I have had with my 2019 since Day #1 - Moon Roof Drain Seal improperly installed 3+ visits (I ultimately found the TSB and fixed it myself after flooding my rear floorboard multiple times because I bought my truck just before a mini monsoon season), poor A/C cooling - more visits then I care to count & dealer finally purged and recharged the system in order to get it to "cool", green lines in the backup camera X2, chattering breaks when backing up.....) to see if it was covered. Late last week I took a closer look at the picture and zoomed in on the window to see that the rain water was actually flowing over the top of the frame and in fact not coming from the glass in any way as I originally thought. Surely this would be covered as there was no cracked glass, cab damage in and around the rear window, etc...

Fast Forward almost 2 weeks - I called the dealer to see the status because STARR Motors of Suffolk Virginia had yet again failed to call &/or leave a message while claiming to have done so during the call and I was informed that this was NOT A COVERED repair. Believing that I was again getting the poor customer service that has become the norm for the dealer over the last 5ish years I chose to call the warranty folks myself to be told the very same thing (Sorry Starr Motors but the last 5 yrs of poor service led me to not believing you.)

I would like to know if this is in fact a covered problem/issue, fearing that I have already know the answer based upon all that I have read, for I am ready to end my 20+ year / 7+ vehicle relationship with Dodge, RAM, & Starr Motors especially due to the "FUN" that I continue to have with my 2019 RAM. (Green Lines in the backup camera intermittently (Already replaced twice), Side Mirrors that continue to fall (Dealer can't replicate but did turn off the down tilt function the last time I took it in to replace the driver side mirror that was chewing itself up when attempting to fold/unfold), a loud ticking sound that comes from engine compartment only when outside temperature is 45ish degrees and below (Dealer claims it is the injectors misfiring or clogged... but doesn't happen when it is warm outside and didn't attempt to check it out...), and now a rear window frame that cracks and leaks ....) Mind you that I have been anxiously awaiting the store front opening of Franklin Dodge/Ram in Franklin, VA for I am of the mind/heart set that much of my problem is with Starr Motors.... but I am starting to have some major second thoughts on the entire relationship.

Seriously Seeking Assistance!!!!!

DLucky

Reaction score
Wow, over 100 pages of window leaks just on this post. There are so many other posts on this forum about the same issue, and then there are a dozen other forums each with dozens of posts about the same issue... What a shame because I really liked Ram. It's too bad they don't stand behind their products when their is a known issue.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Wow, over 100 pages of window leaks just on this post. There are so many other posts on this forum about the same issue, and then there are a dozen other forums each with dozens of posts about the same issue... What a shame because I really liked Ram. It's too bad they don't stand behind their products when their is a known issue.
not many my21 or my22 have this issue

also remember people when they have an issue look for forums to voice a complaint.
there are thousands of rams that have no issue, people do not look for a forum to say they have no issues.

yellowboy

Reaction score
It's a real problem, and it says allot (of negative) about Ram and many dealerships. I had my truck in 4 times for repair, about 10 times total for it to be looked at, replicated, etc, etc. It took an outside glass company to get it (I THINK) . Never again Ram.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I had my rear window replaced in May 2021. It had the crack on the plastic trim and was leaking on the passenger side fixed window portion. Well, a few weeks ago I noticed water trickling down that same window. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they scheduled to have me bring it to the local glass company who did the install. The glass company water tested it this morning and just called me to say it is the sliding portion of the window that is leaking. They let the dealer know and the dealer is ordering another window.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
A "Funny" thing happened to my wife as she was driving through the rain about 2 weeks ago... Water was running into the back seat of my 2019. I initially thought the seal was folded/or even tore. I told her to open and close the window and it should be OK. I was wrong, she sent me a picture that showed little to nothing, and she took it straight to the dealer (STARR Motors of Suffolk, VA) who took a look at it the following day and then told her that they needed to check w/ MOPAR Vehicle Protection (which I was provided Free of Charge by FCA due to the many issues that I have had with my 2019 since Day #1 - Moon Roof Drain Seal improperly installed 3+ visits (I ultimately found the TSB and fixed it myself after flooding my rear floorboard multiple times because I bought my truck just before a mini monsoon season), poor A/C cooling - more visits then I care to count & dealer finally purged and recharged the system in order to get it to "cool", green lines in the backup camera X2, chattering breaks when backing up.....) to see if it was covered. Late last week I took a closer look at the picture and zoomed in on the window to see that the rain water was actually flowing over the top of the frame and in fact not coming from the glass in any way as I originally thought. Surely this would be covered as there was no cracked glass, cab damage in and around the rear window, etc...

Fast Forward almost 2 weeks - I called the dealer to see the status because STARR Motors of Suffolk Virginia had yet again failed to call &/or leave a message while claiming to have done so during the call and I was informed that this was NOT A COVERED repair. Believing that I was again getting the poor customer service that has become the norm for the dealer over the last 5ish years I chose to call the warranty folks myself to be told the very same thing (Sorry Starr Motors but the last 5 yrs of poor service led me to not believing you.)

I would like to know if this is in fact a covered problem/issue, fearing that I have already know the answer based upon all that I have read, for I am ready to end my 20+ year / 7+ vehicle relationship with Dodge, RAM, & Starr Motors especially due to the "FUN" that I continue to have with my 2019 RAM. (Green Lines in the backup camera intermittently (Already replaced twice), Side Mirrors that continue to fall (Dealer can't replicate but did turn off the down tilt function the last time I took it in to replace the driver side mirror that was chewing itself up when attempting to fold/unfold), a loud ticking sound that comes from engine compartment only when outside temperature is 45ish degrees and below (Dealer claims it is the injectors misfiring or clogged... but doesn't happen when it is warm outside and didn't attempt to check it out...), and now a rear window frame that cracks and leaks ....) Mind you that I have been anxiously awaiting the store front opening of Franklin Dodge/Ram in Franklin, VA for I am of the mind/heart set that much of my problem is with Starr Motors.... but I am starting to have some major second thoughts on the entire relationship.

Seriously Seeking Assistance!!!!!
MVP won’t cover it. I tried as well. They kept saying “glass isn’t covered”. I had to remind them that it isn’t the glass, it’s the frame. They kept refusing. My defroster failed though and they replaced the window. Mine wasn’t leaking, but it was cracked so I figured it was a matter of time.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Hi,
We're glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're available via PM.

Rob
Ram Cares
Just went to the dealer I have the rear window Crack. He said well is it leaking? I said no not yet but my truck wasn't built with a cracked rear window frame and I would like it fixed. He said well chrysler is only letting us replace windows that leak. That seems absurd to me. @RamCares is this true that it's acceptable to have a cracked frame? He said well ill call them in the morning and let you know what they say. he also said its such a prevalent issue that pictures are no longer required. Why does everything need to be a battle? It's cracked. It's under warranty. Please just do the right thing and fix it. I have purchases 4 brand new vehicles from this dealership in 5 years? No loyalty?

Amazing93

Reaction score
Just went to the dealer I have the rear window Crack. He said well is it leaking? I said no not yet but my truck wasn't built with a cracked rear window frame and I would like it fixed. He said well chrysler is only letting us replace windows that leak. That seems absurd to me. @RamCares is this true that it's acceptable to have a cracked frame? He said well ill call them in the morning and let you know what they say. he also said its such a prevalent issue that pictures are no longer required. Why does everything need to be a battle? It's cracked. It's under warranty. Please just do the right thing and fix it. I have purchases 4 brand new vehicles from this dealership in 5 years? No loyalty?
Dealership called me this morning and said they would replace my rear window. That they got the ok. I'm very happy with that but why did they have to be so combative right off the bat. I told him that they would replace a cracked frame and he wanted to just argue about it cause I said it's not leaking......yet! At least there should be a happy ending. They have 1 in stock so they are having it installed Wednesday.

RamCares

Reaction score
Dealership called me this morning and said they would replace my rear window. That they got the ok. I'm very happy with that but why did they have to be so combative right off the bat. I told him that they would replace a cracked frame and he wanted to just argue about it cause I said it's not leaking......yet! At least there should be a happy ending. They have 1 in stock so they are having it installed Wednesday.
Hi Amazing,
Thank you for following up to provide this update. We're glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation.

Rob
Ram Cares

yellowboy

Reaction score
Hi Amazing,
Thank you for following up to provide this update. We're glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation.

Rob
Ram Cares
so Ram Cares what happens when the window frame cracks and the vehicle is out of warranty ? Since this is a VERY WELL known defect is it covered ?

Bizkit

Reaction score
So, I had window "AE" installed last Tuesday. I know this is the latest part number but wonder if they still haven' fixed the problem. I guess time will tell.

Amazing93

Reaction score
So, I had window "AE" installed last Tuesday. I know this is the latest part number but wonder if they still haven' fixed the problem. I guess time will tell.
The window was never really the problem. It was the sealant Ram used with the window. The manufacturer of the window specified a flexible sealant and Ram used a rigid one so when the truck flexed there was no give and the flex transfered to the weakest point which is the truck plastic window frame. If Ram had used the proper specified sealant this wouldn't have been an issue. Now from what I understand the vendor has designed this new frame to be used with any type sealant so Ram can use whatever the sealant fairy has left for them at the time and it'll be ok. So to say they idiot proofed it.....or I guess in this case they RAM proofed it. 🤣

RamCares

Reaction score
so Ram Cares what happens when the window frame cracks and the vehicle is out of warranty ? Since this is a VERY WELL known defect is it covered ?

We can escalate a goodwill request case on your behalf. This does not guarantee any certain outcome, however it will connect you with a case manager who can help add an additional layer of support during that process.

Rob
Ram Cares

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We can escalate a goodwill request case on your behalf. This does not guarantee any certain outcome, however it will connect you with a case manager who can help add an additional layer of support during that process.

Rob
Ram Cares
Thanks. I don't have the issue, and I hope I never will. Pretty sure there will never be a recall because this isn't a safety issue right?

Users who are viewing this thread