5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why do you leave it at dealer? When I had mine done twice it was a 2 minute appt for them to take photos and then I brought the truck back when the window came in. Window done and returned to me on same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe most dealerships farm out the work to local glass companies, maybe yours didnt? Or perhaps they just schedule the service with the glass company much more efficiently

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe most dealerships farm out the work to local glass companies, maybe yours didnt? Or perhaps they just schedule the service with the glass company much more efficiently

Mine did. Dropped off at 8, glass shop guys came to dealer at 9 and swapped it out in the dealer. A few hours for sealant to cure and I had it back in the afternoon. Maybe I got lucky or they have a good system. But I am lucky to have a great dealer.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did. Dropped off at 8, glass shop guys came to dealer at 9 and swapped it out in the dealer. A few hours for sealant to cure and I had it back in the afternoon. Maybe I got lucky or they have a good system. But I am lucky to have a great dealer.

That’s definitely way better than the 3.5 days they had my truck while I was in a dang Jeep Compass (certainly never even considering one of those after that experience)...and when I pick up my truck, whole interior reeks of cigarettes

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got word today "trucks been in the dealer for well over a week now Fiat/ram whtevr thier called now approved replacment of window and third brake light w new torque screws as advised by tsb, dealer said ready possibly by saturday.. have had a loaner grand cherokee for 9 days now, Goldstein
Dodge/Ram dealer Latham NY great people, went twice to Armory Garage in Albany and did nothing about the leak since June KUDOS Goldstein!! RamCares take note of that please

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add another one to the list. 2019 Laramie started leaking on 2/14/21. First noticed crack on the driver's side frame where it was leaking, then found a smaller crack on the passenger side. Truck has been at the dealership since 2/16/21, still waiting to hear if FCA is going to approve the warranty repairs. I took some pictures from this thread that I'll be showing them if they offer anything less than full replacement.

This will be my last Ram. I've already had it at the dealership 6 times total for them to replace the squeaking breaks and a bad fuel injector. I know there will always be some defects, but I just can't trust the truck past the B2B warranty. Plan to trade it in within the next year...hopefully sooner.
Hi there, we are sorry for the delay! Our team would be happy to assist in moving this process along for you and offer support in resolving any other existing concerns. Please send over a PM with your VIN, thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

vietatran05

Reaction score
It’s been over a month, but I finally got my warranty claim approved for the rear window. Thankfully the second dealership was willing to submit a warranty claim, but this is still just half the battle...

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
It’s been over a month, but I finally got my warranty claim approved for the rear window. Thankfully the second dealership was willing to submit a warranty claim, but this is still just half the battle...

I’m in the same boat and just heard back from my dealership as well that the warranty claim was approved...now we play the waiting game on when the glass actually comes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will make it right for you with an actual non-cracking window. GM and RAM have got big issues if all their trucks are going to get these cracks.
I must have Jinxed myself good with this previous post. My crack started leaking the next day. I identified it to the dealer this morning. Hopefully this second window replacement will solve this issue and it isn't just a new part number without improvements.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Less than 2 weeks after having the window replaced ...3 separate drips

2d040e6c63a39b94a60a89d2eb9dde8a.jpg

61cdc5a0bbc09865fc18c5b459dab760.jpg

bf4ffa8253239f91e5d28b47c6d8d037.jpg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe? Dropping it off again Wednesday morning so we’ll see

The brake light seal is probably shot. It deforms badly and really can’t be reused. I’d check also to see if the brake light screws are tight. But most likely your brake light seal is too compressed to work anymore

KSOTI

Reaction score
Less than 2 weeks after having the window replaced ...3 separate drips

2d040e6c63a39b94a60a89d2eb9dde8a.jpg

61cdc5a0bbc09865fc18c5b459dab760.jpg

bf4ffa8253239f91e5d28b47c6d8d037.jpg

That is quite possibly an installation error. Not sealed properly. Be very cautious if they tell you they can seal it. (Didn't work for me) Also, be even more cautious if they tell you they want to remove and reinstall the same window. I was told by a glass guy that that was nearly impossible to do without issue.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is quite possibly an installation error. Not sealed properly. Be very cautious if they tell you they can seal it. (Didn't work for me) Also, be even more cautious if they tell you they want to remove and reinstall the same window. I was told by a glass guy that that was nearly impossible to do without issue.

Yep and yep. They’re already aware I’m dissatisfied they installed the older model window and sent my truck back reeking like the Marlboro factory.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If/when mine cracks, I’ll suck it up and pay out of pocket and just get a solid back glass installed so I’ll never have to worry about it cracking again. I don’t use my slider so a solid back glass won’t be an issue for me.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If/when mine cracks, I’ll suck it up and pay out of pocket and just get a solid back glass installed so I’ll never have to worry about it cracking again. I don’t use my slider so a solid back glass won’t be an issue for me.

Not sure if that’ll help or change the fact that it’s the frame that’s cracking? Would that be a different part for a solid back?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think we are all waiting for the first AD part and the photos I think one person has it and I don’t think it looked different The Chinese probably just stamped a new part number on the same old part. Yes, the window is banged out by a Chinese company if that says anything.

The dealer called me back this morning and they are ordering the new part #68426398ad

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if that’ll help or change the fact that it’s the frame that’s cracking? Would that be a different part for a solid back?

Completely different part without moving parts The crack on the current frame is happening where the frame is thinnest due to the sliding window railing

Barqs

Reaction score
I guess this means I've officially joined the team. Just noticed the wet carpet under the rear seats and looked on the forums to find this thread and wouldn't you know it I've got a crack just above my sliding rear window on the passenger's side. So to catch me up quickly and not have to read 73 pages full of posts, is there a STAR number, TSB, or other thing for me to reference to help the dealership get this resolved instead of playing the guessing game with them again?

Attachments

• rearframecrack.jpg
    rearframecrack.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread