5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Just got an update about Third Brake Light replacement on my 2021 Rebel

Original Part # 68298380AE

Ram superseded it to Part # 68545973AA - which is Supposably new redesign gasket & light.

No updates yet on the rear window

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s nice to hear that there is a new part for the rear window assembly. Is there going to be some sort of special program for those out of warranty to have their defective window assemblies covered by FCA?

My build date is feb 2020 so it looks like it’ll have the old part number which is prone to cracking. I have no visible cracks in the frame but by dealer did have their leak fix company repair a few cracks in the window frame that could only be seen once the headliner was removed. I suspect it’s only a matter of time before they spread and are visible.
Hi @Sascwatch. At this time, we are not aware of any additional support for these concerns. However, we would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to be discussed further alongside a dealer service. Please do not hesitate to reach out when support is needed.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

KSOTI

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Our team would like to inform you that as of November dealer part inventory has been changed. STAR S2023000005 online has been updated and our dealer stock has been purged of all outdated parts. Should future incidents arise or if current service is required, we would be happy to assist in getting this updated repair completed alongside your dealer. Feel free to follow up with us in a private message if you have any additional questions!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
THANK YOU @RAM Cares

vietatran05

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealership and they said it’s not covered, even though I have the maximum care plan extended warranty (85,000 miles). I have 37,000 miles on the truck. This is frustrating...anybody have any suggestions?
Quick update: Ram cares was able to get me in touch with a case manager. Basically, the case manager (Janet) said my maximum care plan does not cover the cracked window frame. After pleading my case further, she will see if she can get this covered just this one time. Then she told me my dealership refused to do the repair. To be honest, I’m not sure why. Now I have to start from scratch and find a different dealership so they can take pictures again (the first dealership did not upload any pictures). This is turning out to be a huge headache. Anyways, if anybody knows a good dealership in Washington state please let me know.
Thanks!

R.Duff

Reaction score
Just went outside since its raining to check mine. No cracks yet but some white lines where you guys have your cracks. So I'll have to keep an eye on it now cause it looks like the plastic is weakening.

And if I take it to the dealer now they'll say it's nothing.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Quick update: Ram cares was able to get me in touch with a case manager. Basically, the case manager (Janet) said my maximum care plan does not cover the cracked window frame. After pleading my case further, she will see if she can get this covered just this one time. Then she told me my dealership refused to do the repair. To be honest, I’m not sure why. Now I have to start from scratch and find a different dealership so they can take pictures again (the first dealership did not upload any pictures). This is turning out to be a huge headache. Anyways, if anybody knows a good dealership in Washington state please let me know.
Thanks!
Keep pushing! This is obviously a manufacturing defect and should be fixed on Ram's dime wether it's under warranty or not. Hell, they could even bill it back to the supplier if they wanted to.

vietatran05

Reaction score
Keep pushing! This is obviously a manufacturing defect and should be fixed on Ram's dime wether it's under warranty or not. Hell, they could even bill it back to the supplier if they wanted to.
Absolutely, It should not have to be this difficult!

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Add me to the list. No visible cracks but leaking at that same spot. Mine was an early built in Nov 2018, I can't believe that people are still having this problem today.

LHarv

Reaction score
Add me to the list. No visible cracks but leaking at that same spot. Mine was an early built in Nov 2018, I can't believe that people are still having this problem today.

No cracks = Most likely not the window issue. Look into the brake light seal.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Brake light seal. Go to Home Depot, get Marine weatherstrip and do it your self. Never have the problem again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new part is not a bad idea either if you are under warranty

Assuming that the new part actually fixes it. Hopefully they figured it out after 3 generations of leaking brake lights

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Brake light seal. Go to Home Depot, get Marine weatherstrip and do it your self. Never have the problem again

Would I need to remove the old seal before installing the marine weatherstrip? I'll give this a try. Thanks

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would I need to remove the old seal before installing the marine weatherstrip? I'll give this a try. Thanks

Yes. But it’s easy. Once you remove the old seal clean the area with goo gone and then wipe with alcohol. Fix it and forget it!

Users who are viewing this thread