5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I agree 100% on this. I have seen some folks hesitant to take their truck in because the crack wasn't leaking but like you said, its a crack and even if there is no leak the crack is a warranty issue and needs to be addressed.

My hope from all of this is Ram extends coverage to 100,000 miles/10 years. Regardless of the owner, if the crack forms, Ram repairs it and any collateral damage from resulting leaks. I am not asking them to preemptively replace these but if the conditions develop, then its covered. Gives us some piece of mind...

If issues didn't happen by 100k miles the likelihood of them happening is probably low.
I get what you’re saying.... mine is cracked but not leaking yet. Problem is after reading multiple post is that the crack keeps happening again even after replacement. There hasn’t been a design change to address the issue.

I’d like to see a design change before I let them tear apart my truck... that way it’s only done once and not multiple times.

NewRam92

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying.... mine is cracked but not leaking yet. Problem is after reading multiple post is that the crack keeps happening again even after replacement. There hasn’t been a design change to address the issue.

I’d like to see a design change before I let them tear apart my truck... that way it’s only done once and not multiple times.
Devils advocate, I’ve seen people who have had it fixed and it has NOT cracked again. I had mine replaced yesterday so I’ll post updates if it cracks again

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Man this is not right, did all the cracks appear during winter? Just curious.
I mentioned this on another thread with water leaking issues. I believe water gets trapped and then freezes causing the crack.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread with water leaking issues. I believe water gets trapped and then freezes causing the crack.
Not a bad thought.... although I’m on the west coast near the ocean and we don’t dip below 32 very often and mine is cracked... maybe all it takes is once.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Not a bad thought.... although I’m on the west coast near the ocean and we don’t dip below 32 very often and mine is cracked... maybe all it takes is once.
I think this is prone to crack in cold climates due to water freezing +expanding and frame shrinking but I could be totally wrong. I will keeping a close eye on mine and update if anything happens. Normally temps here never drop beyond 60F. But man, this can easily escalate from a crack to health hazard. Moister in carpets and seats will definitely cause mold to grow effecting kids with chronic respiratory conditions and what not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had 3 full assemblies replaced plus an additional 2 other half-assed dealership attempts to seal the leaks. Each new replacement window assembly eventually cracked and leaked. This last one lasted about a year. Really hoping they fix it before my warranty runs out.
Bummer

dalailama23

Reaction score
Add to the crack list, Build 8/18 Limited 8000 miles garage kept almost never sees the weather. Yesterday we had our first good cold snap here in south Florida 42 degrees and this mourning my trim is cracked right down those mold lines i have been keeping an eye on. Don't know about leaks yet . Not sure its worth getting fixed if it doesn't leak , has anybody had the cracks without a leak.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add to the crack list, Build 8/18 Limited 8000 miles garage kept almost never sees the weather. Yesterday we had our first good cold snap here in south Florida 42 degrees and this mourning my trim is cracked right down those mold lines i have been keeping an eye on. Don't know about leaks yet . Not sure its worth getting fixed if it doesn't leak , has anybody had the cracks without a leak.
Yes, my truck has had the cracks for over a year with no leaks. I took it to the dealer and had them put it in their records. I chose not to replace unless it leaks because the cracks are not very visible and I was more concerned about more damage during the repair process.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I think ill check it for leaks when i get a chance and if it doesn't leak have the dealer document it like you did.

Scmil

Reaction score
I had no cracks, but you could start to see the stress line on the trim. It never leaked on the window like some others have experienced. I only noticed the headliner with a small wet spot after a 2 day down pour. The dealer here took the vin/pictures and had the window in for replacement within a week.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The cracks did not appear until about six months after I had the third brake light leak fixed, I'm going to try putting some silicone on the crack through the third brake light for now and see if that stops the leak. I really don't want to pay out of pocket to replace the rear window when it may just leak again.

Welp, add me to the list of rear window crack trucks...

2019 Ram Rebel here. 45k miles. Cracked rear window surround, leaking. Have we found out if this gets covered out of warranty, or is it out of pocket at that point. Just bought my Rebel used, and it looks like the crack has been there and has been leaking for a while. During recent rains i watched it drip drip drip, and it wasnt a slow drip.

If its not going to be recalled or covered out of warranty, then what has anyone done to seal the window themselves. Besides sealing up the third brake light, is the only other thing to do is run silicone around the exterior in the crack channel around the whole rear window? I read as many pages as i could.

Hello everyone, please know that our team would be more than willing to offer assistance in resolving your vehicle water leaks. As your advocate, we will happily review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved. If you have any further questions about this process or are ready to receive this additional support, please follow up with us in a private message with your VIN. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares

KSOTI

Reaction score
@ Ram Cares

Kathryn,

What guarantee/warranty will RAM provide for the replacement glass against leaks and frame cracking?

Many of us are nearing the end of our original bumper to bumper coverage. Some of us have first hand experience with replacements failing (mine lasted about 1 year). None of us want to pay $1500 after our warranty expires because the defective window was replaced with another defective window.

Does Ram have a policy (in writing) to grandfather existing and on going issues like this?

I apologize for putting you on the spot here but many of the customers on this forum as well as the face book forums (and there are a lot of them) are voicing the same concern regarding our warranty a the longevity/quality of the replacement window.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
My build date was August 2019 for my 2020 Rebel. The crack was visible at close to 3,000 miles. Replaced under warranty, been checking weekly just in case this one fails.

Mr.G

Reaction score
@ Ram Cares

Kathryn,

What guarantee/warranty will RAM provide for the replacement glass against leaks and frame cracking?

Many of us are nearing the end of our original bumper to bumper coverage. Some of us have first hand experience with replacements failing (mine lasted about 1 year). None of us want to pay $1500 after our warranty expires because the defective window was replaced with another defective window.

Does Ram have a policy (in writing) to grandfather existing and on going issues like this?

I apologize for putting you on the spot here but many of the customers on this forum as well as the face book forums (and there are a lot of them) are voicing the same concern regarding our warranty a the longevity/quality of the replacement window.
Gee, no answer from RAM CARES, Surprised ?

KSOTI

Reaction score
My build date was August 2019 for my 2020 Rebel. The crack was visible at close to 3,000 miles. Replaced under warranty, been checking weekly just in case this one fails.
Do you happen to know the part number of the window they installed? It should be on your service record reciept or the glass itself. Both of mine were PN68303352AE (E being the revision) and they failed. I think they are up to revision G now but don't hold me to it.

Randyp79

Reaction score
Just discovered my crack and leak. Unfortunately, I have 38k miles on my 2019 Ram, am I screwed or will Ram step up and fix this known issue?!?!
f1e3cccc6123297668a25d6398b5932a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I had mine replaced a few weeks ago. The dealer paperwork showed a new part number for the window. Not sure, I was mad I have to re tint my rear windows.

Users who are viewing this thread