5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh lovely...so I brought the truck in yesterday to replace the rear window and complete the floor mat recall. The work on the truck took the full day so I picked up the truck today. After receiving the keys and checking the truck over inside and out I identified some troubling issues. When I flipped the rear seat up, the middle seat belt fell to the floor. I noticed that the elastic harness for the middle seat belt was torn and broken... Fantastic...after further inspection I noticed one of the bolts securing the seat to the floor was not torqued and the metal washer was loose. Clearly I am beyond frustrated and I showed the advisor. He called a technician in to tighten the bolt but the bolt is cross threaded. I left the truck with them and they claim they will fix it tomorrow.

This is FCA dealership quality at the moment. I don't trust them to do my oil change, I cringe at the thought of trusting them with something like this should it happen.

Jrljr829

Reaction score
So I just went outside to see if my truck has this issue and BAM. Cracked drivers side and the headliner looks stained on the passenger side after using a flashlight. Man am I pissed off. Its a 2019 certified used truck that I bought in September, 31k. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210105_194822.jpg
    20210105_194822.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45

Gs72174

Reaction score
Why don’t you contact Ram Cares and see if they can help out? I haven’t had much luck with them but maybe you will.

borden72

Reaction score
I don't know if there are any lawyer types in here or not but does anyone know what a class action suit involves? It just seems like there is a fairly high number of failures. Granted, FCA if currently rectifying them but eventually once the warranty expires, is there any recourse for a design flaw? I am sure it is a long process especially with court backlogs with Covid.

My rear window has been replaced because the center glass rattled. I assume, I will either have the cracks or leaks one day. I have the MaxCare? (Mopar) extended warranty for 8 years, but reading the fine print, I am curious if they would cover a repair under the extended warranty.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I contacted Ram yesterday and received an email back this morning stating, "In order for a potential recall or further action required FCA requires multiple concerns to be reported to FCA and NHTSA."

That said, we need Ram to support this issue long term not just under the bumper to bumper so a few links below so per their request in the email response...

1. NHTSA Claim Report Link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Takes 15 minutes to complete the complaint form. Have your VIN available. You can provide pictures, dates, and a brief description. We aren't asking for a recall just asking for long term support for this issue which Ram will not do without some nudging (hopefully).

2. Ram Customer Care Form: Keep it simple with this forum, focus here is How will Ram Support this issue long term and how are they going to provide piece of mind about this issue. Replacing these windows is not cheap and if they leak, the collateral damage can be a mess. We want Ram to support us outside of bumper to bumper warranties.

Anyways if you have a cracked rear window frame or have had one, please make sure you are reporting it through BOTH of these links. Every person who uses both links to report this issue makes our case that much stronger.

Thanks,

WF41

Jrljr829

Reaction score
Thanks WF41. I did both. Yesterday I contacted my dealer who I assume knows about this issue based on the response I received. They made an appointment for a water test and a loner vehicle. They also will order a replacement window if approved by Ram I was also told. I have a few STAR publications as evidence if need be. The truck goes in on 01/18/2021. Ill keep everyone posted on my situation and if I get a response from RAM or NHTSA.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Thanks WF41. I did both. Yesterday I contacted my dealer who I assume knows about this issue based on the response I received. They made an appointment for a water test and a loner vehicle. They also will order a replacement window if approved by Ram I was also told. I have a few STAR publications as evidence if need be. The truck goes in on 01/18/2021. Ill keep everyone posted on my situation and if I get a response from RAM or NHTSA.

Just a word of warning from what I've read from others on this thread....

I've heard of dealerships who have kept the truck for weeks and done multiple water tests only to not find the leak. Then you're left with your truck held hostage at the dealership. When I went to my dealership I was adamant that I wanted it replaced because it was cracked. There should be no need for a leak test in my opinion. It's cracked, it's under warranty, replace it. My dealer had me bring my truck in, he took pictures to document and send to FCA and that was it. I was in/out in 5 minutes and they got approval from FCA 2 days later. I have an appointment next week for them to replace the entire rear window assembly under warranty and the work is going to be done by a glass company.

Again, just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't be okay with dropping my truck off and having them do a leak test.... just setting yourself up for a potential battle in my opinion.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree 100% on this. I have seen some folks hesitant to take their truck in because the crack wasn't leaking but like you said, its a crack and even if there is no leak the crack is a warranty issue and needs to be addressed.

My hope from all of this is Ram extends coverage to 100,000 miles/10 years. Regardless of the owner, if the crack forms, Ram repairs it and any collateral damage from resulting leaks. I am not asking them to preemptively replace these but if the conditions develop, then its covered. Gives us some piece of mind...

If issues didn't happen by 100k miles the likelihood of them happening is probably low.

Jrljr829

Reaction score
I did think of that after reading multiple posts. When I go to the dealer I am on the same page as NewRam92. To me the water test is irrelevant if a crack is on the assembly of the window. Their part failed, truck is under warranty, make it right!

LHarv

Reaction score
Had my appointment today. After I was told they ordered the glass assembly earlier this week they now tell me they had to take pictures and send them off to Chrysler Canada to approve and said it can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to approve. But the dealer acknowledged the leak and could see where it was coming from.

Kind of disappointing on the process. The truck is still under factory warranty for another year. Clearly leaking water into the cab is a big problem.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
For those waiting for the window and don't have a nice covered garage such as myself, how are you covering your trucks? or you just putting towels back there? I ended up ordering a truck cover, annoying, but where I live it snows so didn't want to take any chances.

LHarv

Reaction score
Fortunately I park in a heated garage but when out and about, don't really have much of an option.

KSOTI

Reaction score
I have had this issue since day one! Dealership has replaced the rear window assembly several times. Now after almost a year its happening again. Has Ram done anything to improve the latest supply of rear window assemblies?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had this issue since day one! Dealership has replaced the rear window assembly several times. Now after almost a year its happening again. Has Ram done anything to improve the latest supply of rear window assemblies?
Not from what I’ve seen unless the 2021’s are updated it’s a big nope.

My guess is if something like this window frame cracks FCA bills the company that made it. Other than making it look like FCA doesn’t care it may not cost them much.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many times is “several”? And in addition to the cracks, did they all leak? Does the one you have installed now have cracks and leaks? Thanks for more specific info.

Last edited:

Jrljr829

Reaction score
Does anyone truly know if the rear window assembly is an updated version that they are using for the repairs? I have seen a youtube video from some bearded guy claiming there is one, sorry forgot his handle. I cant find any documentation from FCA.

Uncleben78

Reaction score
So to add insult to injury, after finding out I have cracks in my rear window, my truck wouldn't start this morning. Last time this happened it was due to a bad factory battery. RSA is sending a tow truck today since it couldn't be jumped. I am hoping this isn't due to the leak. This is what I get for buying a first year of a redesign.
Mine is currently in the shop for this exact issue. Apparently the rear window leak short circuited a bunch of things behind the rear seat. They are saying it'll be there for 2 weeks to get it fixed. I had previously had it in for them to chase down the leak and they replaced the antenna, they are replacing the window assembly this time around.

Love the truck but what a pain!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KSOTI

Reaction score
How many times is “several”? And in addition to the cracks, did they all leak? Does the one you have installed now have cracks and leaks? Thanks for more specific info.
I have had 3 full assemblies replaced plus an additional 2 other half-assed dealership attempts to seal the leaks. Each new replacement window assembly eventually cracked and leaked. This last one lasted about a year. Really hoping they fix it before my warranty runs out.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Mine is currently in the shop for this exact issue. Apparently the rear window leak short circuited a bunch of things behind the rear seat. They are saying it'll be there for 2 weeks to get it fixed. I had previously had it in for them to chase down the leak and they replaced the antenna, they are replacing the window assembly this time around.

Love the truck but what a pain!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dam sorry to hear that. Initially I thought the same or ended up with a bad battery again, since I was part of the crew with bad batteries on the 2019's. But mine ended up being RF hub which they replaced, along with new fobs. I am still waiting on the window which will take a couple weeks.

Love the truck too, but my Taco never gave me this many issues, but then again this was the first year, somewhat expected.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
I have had 3 full assemblies replaced plus an additional 2 other half-assed dealership attempts to seal the leaks. Each new replacement window assembly eventually cracked and leaked. This last one lasted about a year. Really hoping they fix it before my warranty runs out.
This is crazy, do they plan to just keep replacing every time?

Users who are viewing this thread