5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
So unfortunately I get to join this illustrious club of cracked rear window liners with the slightest leak starting.

Heading to the dealership today with the pics and star case to see what they’ll do to help

a48757eaf82ccce3ee7d1d8e1cb72bcf.jpg
015e677193f31f286cc9ac7adce53d1b.jpg
97c7a16c58a766ef5fd9a9872bc9e75c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So just got done with the leak check visit at the dealers and they actually found two leaks. One obviously from the crack and one at the third brake light

They resealed the third brake light and put in the order and warranty approval for the rear window replacement.

Now we play the waiting game on the window and approval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just got done with the leak check visit at the dealers and they actually found two leaks. One obviously from the crack and one at the third brake light

They resealed the third brake light and put in the order and warranty approval for the rear window replacement.

Now we play the waiting game on the window and approval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So, just curious, has the cracks leaked anymore since the third brake light was re-sealed?

PanhandleRam

Reaction score
Just found the cracks today, 2019 1500 Laramie with 42K miles. Has anyone had to replace the rear window after warranty has expired? I had the third brake light leak about 6 months ago and the dealer has already repaired that.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just found the cracks today, 2019 1500 Laramie with 42K miles. Has anyone had to replace the rear window after warranty has expired? I had the third brake light leak about 6 months ago and the dealer has already repaired that.
So you have the cracks, but are you seeing leaks by the cracks?

Gs72174

Reaction score
I’ve got 60 plus thousand mile on my 2019 and I’m waiting to hear from Ram Cares to see what if anything they can do for me. The dealer said the rear window would be about $1500 before labor. I have cracks on both sides of the rear sliding window and that’s where the water was coming through. I’ve already replaced the gasket on the third brake light and it seemed to have stopped leaking through one of the cracks. If Ram Cares isn’t able to help out, I’ll try a sealer around the rear window.

borden72

Reaction score
I’ve got 60 plus thousand mile on my 2019 and I’m waiting to hear from Ram Cares to see what if anything they can do for me. The dealer said the rear window would be about $1500 before labor. I have cracks on both sides of the rear sliding window and that’s where the water was coming through. I’ve already replaced the gasket on the third brake light and it seemed to have stopped leaking through one of the cracks. If Ram Cares isn’t able to help out, I’ll try a sealer around the rear window.
Maybe this will help out.

2019-2020 Ram 1500 Backlite Glass 68426398AC | Steve White Parts

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, I have visible cracks in my frame, but no leaks , why?
What I am saying is that fixing your third brake light will not fix the crack issue with your window frame. Could the water coming in thru the brake light seep thru the rear frame? It is absolutely plausible. However, the cracked frame should still be replaced and still has the potential to leak on its own.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Well just got my truck back and was told the part number is the same as original, so no new revisions on the windshield. One thing that may be promising this go around is my new rear window doesn’t have the faint crack lines as before. On the factory one i noticed a faint line mark prior to the crack, this one doesn’t. Fingers crossed
06cb5cd286a7c09b8754992f6f9bf939.jpg

63be047cc13574d38b423a9b872c9640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

borden72

Reaction score
I really appreciate that. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm not sure they ship glass but you may be able to find another wholesale supplier that is close to you. With Steve White, use Face1 for an additional discount.

PanhandleRam

Reaction score
The cracks did not appear until about six months after I had the third brake light leak fixed, I'm going to try putting some silicone on the crack through the third brake light for now and see if that stops the leak. I really don't want to pay out of pocket to replace the rear window when it may just leak again.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cracks did not appear until about six months after I had the third brake light leak fixed, I'm going to try putting some silicone on the crack through the third brake light for now and see if that stops the leak. I really don't want to pay out of pocket to replace the rear window when it may just leak again.
How was the third brake light fixed? Was it replaced by the dealer or did you repair with a new gasket yourself?

NewRam92

Reaction score
Called my dealer today about the window surround crack, talked to the service advisor and he said bring it in, we'll take pictures and get authorization from FCA and bring you back in to do the repair once we get the green light from them. Seems like he's heard of this before and didn't give me any trouble. Fingers crossed!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp, add me to the list of rear window crack trucks...

Please make sure your third brake light gasket is sealing properly, If you replace the window without checking this gasket, you may still have a leak and not have the cracks to help you identify it.

Users who are viewing this thread