5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you help me as my rear window shattered and FCA denied warranty replacement. I need to collect some VINs or at least the last 8 digits to illustrate that Ram is replacing a good number of these faulty rear window but denied mine. The cost to me is $1900+ and my policy isnt covering broken glass
Make sure to file a NHTSA complaint if you're in the US. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the truck back and they cleaned and dried the headliner and it looks good. The new window is the new design and I am hoping that there aren't any problems in the future. Already been through 3 car washes and no leaks. On a side note I had my 12V battery lose a cell and they replaced it under warranty.

So an update, a month later and no cracks or leaks. When you have your glass replaced make sure they know the proper way to install it without bending the rivets. The glass installer should be able to see that they need to Insert the top and then slide in the bottom of the glass, not the other way around.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I would def start with the brake light. Mine was dripping from the headliner area and I also do not have cracks. Replacing the seal on the brake light fixed mine.
Any tips on removing the water stains on the headliner?

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Any tips on removing the water stains on the headliner?

Dab onto area with paper towel,sponge. Let it set for 1 min. Take a damp, more dry then wet, sponge, preferably a white one . Work the product in. Now use a dry sponge on area and continue to run the area. Key is to not let it get to wet as you’ll create another water mark

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I would def start with the brake light. Mine was dripping from the headliner area and I also do not have cracks. Replacing the seal on the brake light fixed mine.

I’m not sure if u have already but would u mind posting a link to the seal u used to replace the stock one? Thanks

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you used to seal them together( end to end)?
e13a4c5c321417ef0402294f1070348b.jpg

You can put a dab of adhesive rtv or silicon. Rtv sticks to almost every kind of gasket. You can also use the 3m weatherstrip adhesive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramster1979

Reaction score
Not to state the obvious but a shattered window is a little different than a leaking window due to a manufacturer defect. I hope it works out for you but it's going to be hard to get FCA to replace a shattered window under warranty unless you can prove without a doubt that it shattered due to the defective frame. Maybe try working through your auto insurance to see if they can help. How did it shatter?
I was just driving on a paved road and hit a small pot hole, shattered but held together until I drove some more and pieces began to fall out. There was no exterior force on the window. I had noticed that the floor had been wet before but though one of my kids water bottles had leaked. Seeing all these reports of small stress cracks and frame issues I know its hard to connect a smoking gun to a target but theres clearly an issue here that should probably result in a larger recall to address the issue proactively; instead FCA is addressing these case by case. If enough people have an issue it should be addressed and covered, hence trying to obtain VINs of vehicles to see if mine falls into a group of trucks that had the issue addressed

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Why has Ram not addressed this? It’s the same window and they will leak again. Some are on at least their third window. Mind blowing
My Replacement looks a bit different and is slightly dimensioned different.
had mine done sometime in January or February...so far,no leaks.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Could you share some pictures so we can see the difference?

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
This picture of the crack i took back in January, it show cracked line but i never seen water or wet spot anywhere. Today i bring the car in for 2 recall (W33 and W25) so i show my advisor the crack, he said he will have tech looking into and call me. Anyway after couple hrs he called, recall taken care and the rear window need to replace, they got 1 in stock so he will keep the car and replace it, should be done next day.
0c67be3cb148a8b5e04e3bb47c4d1188.jpg
My Dealer had My Truck for a week,But I had a Rental Laramie that they paid for.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Who was this post addressed to?
I am Assuming it was me,since I recently stated my replacement looked and was dimensioned Slightly different.
If so,I will take some pics and post,But you may not be able to tell from the Pics.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Multiple leaks going on. Seems the two most common "rear" leaks are the Third Brake Light OR the Rear Sliding Window. If the cracks appear on the rear window, they replace with what looks to be the same window, however, the part numbers are different.
Mine looks and is slightly dimensioned different from the original.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Go remove your 3rd brake light and look for yourself. You can see the window frame. Also several people here and on the Facebook groups with cracked frames have posted pictures of the crack visible on the exterior. That’s why it leaks once it’s cracked... fill the crack with silicone, no more leak.
I would not recommend filling a crack with Silicone.....Broken is still Broken,and the dealer will replace it under warranty,AND provide a rental while they do it.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
I removed the third brake light and looked around but didn’t see anything obvious; but to be fair I was rushing. I’ll take another look tomorrow. I was thinking about just sealing everything up with RTV and hoping for the best. But I’m not about to accept a cracked frame as normal for what these trucks cost. I do have the sunroof. I’ll have to check that out tomorrow too.
I Am the Same Way...Broken is still Broken,,,and They replaced mine and provided me a rental truck.
I don't see why anyone would just seal up something that is Cracked.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just driving on a paved road and hit a small pot hole, shattered but held together until I drove some more and pieces began to fall out. There was no exterior force on the window. I had noticed that the floor had been wet before but though one of my kids water bottles had leaked. Seeing all these reports of small stress cracks and frame issues I know its hard to connect a smoking gun to a target but theres clearly an issue here that should probably result in a larger recall to address the issue proactively; instead FCA is addressing these case by case. If enough people have an issue it should be addressed and covered, hence trying to obtain VINs of vehicles to see if mine falls into a group of trucks that had the issue addressed
Man that sucks and that's obviously not normal. I hope it works out for you with your dealership. I only had the third brake light leaking and no cracks in my window so my vin would be no help.

Users who are viewing this thread