5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
So add me to the pile of leaky back windows. My Rebel is a month old with 1180 miles and I have water dripping today. My frame has no cracks in it and the dealership wants to replace the back window assembly. I told him it might be the 3rd brake light or antenna, and he assured me it isn't. Whatever, why go the expensive route instead of trying the smaller things first. Anyway, they subcontract out to a local glass place. Anything I should be aware of when I get my truck back? Anything I should look for? Or anything I should request? I know that there is the rear air bags, and I'm worried if there is signs of water, they'll just say F-It and go about their business. I hate that at 1180 miles it's going in for warranty work...
They did My Brake Light first,and it still Leaked..But My Window frame was Visibly cracked,so,they replace it,BUT...They put me in an Enterprise RAM Laramie While I waited for mine to get done...About a week. They Paid for it.
About $1400 Bucks total on their Dime.
They had to wait for some special Screw from Memphis.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So add me to the pile of leaky back windows. My Rebel is a month old with 1180 miles and I have water dripping today. My frame has no cracks in it and the dealership wants to replace the back window assembly. I told him it might be the 3rd brake light or antenna, and he assured me it isn't. Whatever, why go the expensive route instead of trying the smaller things first. Anyway, they subcontract out to a local glass place. Anything I should be aware of when I get my truck back? Anything I should look for? Or anything I should request? I know that there is the rear air bags, and I'm worried if there is signs of water, they'll just say F-It and go about their business. I hate that at 1180 miles it's going in for warranty work...

The fact that there isn’t any cracks in the frame, I would almost guarantee it’s your 3rd brake light seal leaking.

airgas1998

Reaction score
The fact that there isn’t any cracks in the frame, I would almost guarantee it’s your 3rd brake light seal leaking.
would this still be the case if the headliner is bone dry??? I had a leak when I power washed my truck right smack in the middle of the window frame and no visible crack...

Leinhauser01

Reaction score
They did My Brake Light first,and it still Leaked..But My Window frame was Visibly cracked,so,they replace it,BUT...They put me in an Enterprise RAM Laramie While I waited for mine to get done...About a week. They Paid for it.
About $1400 Bucks total on their Dime.
They had to wait for some special Screw from Memphis.
Did they use Mopar glass, or did they try and go cheap?

RamLink83

Reaction score
My headliner also got wet when the third brake light was leaking.
Mine goes into the shop on Friday when their water guy is there, but I'm almost positive it's my 3rd brake light. Below is a video I made showing how saturated the seal is. I had a wet headliner on the passenger side (my truck was leaning in that direction, so it makes sense the water ended up there.) I also don't have any visible cracks in the frame, at least not yet.

Third Brake Light Seal

jrr907

Reaction score
Dealer is replacing my rear sliding glass Today due to very noticeable cracks in frame on both sides. Guys is there anything ; I need to check after job is done ? They are subbing out job to a glass repair shop!

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine goes into the shop on Friday when their water guy is there, but I'm almost positive it's my 3rd brake light. Below is a video I made showing how saturated the seal is. I had a wet headliner on the passenger side (my truck was leaning in that direction, so it makes sense the water ended up there.) I also don't have any visible cracks in the frame, at least not yet.

Third Brake Light Seal
Yep, mine was the same way. When I removed the seal to replace it I could literally wring the water out of it. I'm no expert but I would be willing to bet it's the third brake light.

Last edited:

RamLink83

Reaction score
Yep, mine was the same way. When I removed the seal to replace it I could literally ring the water out of it. I'm no expert but I would be willing to bet it's the third brake light.
I am going to really push and have them just replace the third brake light instead of going the route of replacing the window. I'd rather have them do a small job like that then go through a big job of replacing the window and potentially screwing something up if they don't have to. And then also still have the leak because of the light. I'd add a new seal myself, but I want to have this documented on the record just in case I have other water issues in the future. Lemon Law in my state requires the FIRST issue to occur in the first year of ownership.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Yep, mine was the same way. When I removed the seal to replace it I could literally ring the water out of it. I'm no expert but I would be willing to bet it's the third brake light.
Wonder who's bright idea it was to use a sponge as a seal?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am going to really push and have them just replace the third brake light instead of going the route of replacing the window. I'd rather have them do a small job like that then go through a big job of replacing the window and potentially screwing something up if they don't have to. And then also still have the leak because of the light. I'd add a new seal myself, but I want to have this documented on the record just in case I have other water issues in the future. Lemon Law in my state requires the FIRST issue to occur in the first year of ownership.
That's the approach I would take. I hate having big items removed and replaced on my new vehicle as well unless it absolutely needs to be. Keep us updated.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder who's bright idea it was to use a sponge as a seal?

Theoretically a compressed foam cellular gasket shouldn’t be absorbing water. Squeeze a foam cell sponge and see if water enters it. That’s why many of the leaking gaskets were fixed by simply retorquing the light. Mine was tightened super tight when I checked. I told a client of mine who has a ram as well to check and he said his were barely hand tightened and he was able to get another 2-3 turns on each screw.

End of the day, ram did cheap out on that gasket. Can’t imagine a normal rubber gasket would have put my truck out of my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Theoretically a compressed foam cellular gasket shouldn’t be absorbing water. Squeeze a foam cell sponge and see if water enters it. That’s why many of the leaking gaskets were fixed by simply retorquing the light. Mine was tightened super tight when I checked. I told a client of mine who has a ram as well to check and he said his were barely hand tightened and he was able to get another 2-3 turns on each screw.

I removed and cleaned the area where the seal contacts and reinstalled by tightening as tight as I could without cracking the housing and it still leaked with oem seal. Put on new quality seal from Lowe's and tightened the same as before and vuala no leak. OEM seals are not good.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed and cleaned the area where the seal contacts and reinstalled by tightening as tight as I could without cracking the housing and it still leaked with oem seal. Put on new quality seal from Lowe's and tightened the same as before and vuala no leak. OEM seals are not good.

It’s amazing how big the differences are between trucks and this seal. You would think we’d all have the problem, or no one would have it. I think when I put LEDs in there, or replace the whole unit with a new aftermarket one that is all smoked out (coming out this summer), I’ll upgrade to the rubber gasket you’re using just for peace of mind.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s amazing how big the differences are between trucks and this seal. You would think we’d all have the problem, or no one would have it. I think when I put LEDs in there, or replace the whole unit with a new aftermarket one that is all smoked out (coming out this summer), I’ll upgrade to the rubber gasket you’re using just for peace of mind.

I know, seems like they use different manufacturers for the light assembly or something. I had the same issue on my 4th gen, you think they would have fixed this by now. Those smoked out third brake lights are sweet.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
would this still be the case if the headliner is bone dry??? I had a leak when I power washed my truck right smack in the middle of the window frame and no visible crack...
More than likely. These rams all the way back to the early 2000s have been known to have a leaking 3rd brake light seal. Once you remove the light, you’ll see why it’s dripping in the center.

RamLink83

Reaction score

End of the day, ram did cheap out on that gasket. Can’t imagine a normal rubber gasket would have put my truck out of my budget.

I was hoping my screws on the light were loose, but unfortunately they were very tight. I'm guessing the gasket just isn't thick enough to properly compress along with it being a super cheap crap gasket. I'm finding Ram cheaped out a lot on the parts they used. Wonder what it truly cost to build my truck?

RamLink83

Reaction score
More than likely. These rams all the way back to the early 2000s have been known to have a leaking 3rd brake light seal. Once you remove the light, you’ll see why it’s dripping in the center.
I was just saying to my wife that it's crazy that they are still having these leak at the light. You would think by now it would be solved. There are so many ways that it could be fixed. One sure way would be to have that area where the breaklight gets inserted sealed along with a drain hole to the exterior if water would make itself into that cavity. Guess it's cheaper to stamp out the metal the way they do instead of having a sealed void where the light gets screwed into.

Users who are viewing this thread