5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RBRK

Reaction score
As much as I like this truck I must admit it has a lot,of quirky issues that shouldn’t be. This being one of them. My brake light leaked,my rear glass leaked like these have. I got some flowable silicone and found a spot on the rear glass that had a gap on the top,outside, and put a small amount in there. been ok so far, fingers crossed. If your headliner is wet, chances are it’s the center brake light, not the window. The new brake light has a much thicker seal to stop the water from going past it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mark, I PMd Ramcares last night. I hope the backorder on rear sliding windows is not as long as Twister is indicating. That is unacceptable, since vehicles are coming off the line each day with new sliding windows.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you for doing so, Tony! Your sentiments expressed here are completely understandable. Please know that I have responded to your private message. When you can, please take a moment to review my outreach and follow up with me there.

Mark
RamCares

Twister

Reaction score
Thank you for doing so, Tony! Your sentiments expressed here are completely understandable. Please know that I have responded to your private message. When you can, please take a moment to review my outreach and follow up with me there.

Mark
RamCares
thanks, I don' have any pms from you recently

tonyplants

Reaction score
thanks, I don' have any pms from you recently
Twister, Mark, from RamCares, was replying to me. You can access the PM feature, search "ramcares" and then send them a private message. You have to initiate the PM...

Twister

Reaction score
Twister, Mark, from RamCares, was replying to me. You can access the PM feature, search "ramcares" and then send them a private message. You have to initiate the PM...

ok THANKS, I hope you have better luck than I have so far

tonyplants

Reaction score
ok THANKS, I hope you have better luck than I have so far
I was pretty upset when I saw water leaking through those cracks. I hope a total window replacement fixes that. It would make more sense for those frames to be made of aluminum, but we know how that goes...

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went outside today when it was very sunny and looked in the rear view mirror... Low and behold I have the same crack in the rear window frame that I can see continues from the inside by the glass all the way up to the outside of the frame where it meets the headliner. I was going to take it in for the brake squeal which is back now that it is cold outside again (From a friend he said it is the calipers and he got his fixed and no more chewbaca in the morning backing up, not the shoes which I had replaced) and now have a second thing
(And a third which is my steering wheel leather having a spot that it is loosing its outer surface skin) to be addressed. rear window frame.jpg Steering wheel.jpg

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is going to selling dealer this Friday. I asked the service advisor if they had seen any trucks with this issue, they said they hadn't. Will keep this thread updated as issue progresses. My build date is 8/18, so I am seeing a very small trend with us responding to this thread.

I also have the crack as of today (28K miles) and don't think it was there when purchased. Build date of 08/18

RamCares

Reaction score
I went outside today when it was very sunny and looked in the rear view mirror... Low and behold I have the same crack in the rear window frame that I can see continues from the inside by the glass all the way up to the outside of the frame where it meets the headliner. I was going to take it in for the brake squeal which is back now that it is cold outside again (From a friend he said it is the calipers and he got his fixed and no more chewbaca in the morning backing up, not the shoes which I had replaced) and now have a second thing
(And a third which is my steering wheel leather having a spot that it is loosing its outer surface skin) to be addressed. View attachment 39909 View attachment 39910

Hi JJRamTX,

I sincerely regret to hear of the trouble you are currently experiencing with your truck. If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I'm new to Ram and the forum but saw this thread yesterday. I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn last week and just noticed it has two cracks. Very discouraging. I'm certain the cracks were there when I purchased it. It only has 25 miles on it now and has been in my garage since I drove it home from the dealer. The build date is August 2018.

Have no idea if it's leaking yet. Left message for my salesman and service department and hoping to hear from someone today.

RamCares

Reaction score
I'm new to Ram and the forum but saw this thread yesterday. I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn last week and just noticed it has two cracks. Very discouraging. I'm certain the cracks were there when I purchased it. It only has 25 miles on it now and has been in my garage since I drove it home from the dealer. The build date is August 2018.

Have no idea if it's leaking yet. Left message for my salesman and service department and hoping to hear from someone today.

Hi BaseballDad,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer. We would be more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

whetrick1

Reaction score
I have the same cracks but no leaks. I elected to have the dealer note it on my records and not replace it. To replace it means a whole new rear window and then no guarantee that it would not crack again. I am more concerned that replacing the window might create more problems. Just my thoughts. Good luck with it.

Well mine has just started leaking at 17,000 and I don't see any cracks. Taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out because it is soaking the too of the seat. Hope it's the 3rd brake light leaking and not a window problem.
763cc3af0766462a7fa7c5b6c644566e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaseballDad

Reaction score
Hi BaseballDad,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer. We would be more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. Talked to someone in the service department and am bringing my truck in next week to have the service manager look at it. The advisor was not familiar with the issue.

Also, how do I send a private message to you/RamCares?

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. Talked to someone in the service department and am bringing my truck in next week to have the service manager look at it. The advisor was not familiar with the issue.

Also, how do I send a private message to you/RamCares?

Hi BaseballDad,

Thank you for following up with me. I just sent you a private message proactively, please know that you can find it by clicking on the envelope in the top right corner of the page next to your username. Hope to hear back from you soon!

Mark
RamCares

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you have the rear crack. I hope you get it resolved quickly so you can start enjoying a problem free truck. Keep us posted on what happens. In the meantime....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

BaseballDad

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you have the rear crack. I hope you get it resolved quickly so you can start enjoying a problem free truck. Keep us posted on what happens. In the meantime....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
Thanks for the rebate information Patsy. Was not aware this was available. I used the Allstate link in your other thread to fill out the application online. Nothing to it. Hope to see a check in a couple months.

2wd

Reaction score
Dealer confirmed crack/leak, and has to order entire rear window assembly. Had to send pics to Chrysler for approval to order. No ETA.

Users who are viewing this thread