5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
I Had My Brake Light Replaced At The Dealer Under Warranty Three Weeks ago,and ,when I washed the Truck Today,The window is still leaking.
The Cracked Frame must be the Problem.
Contacted my Service Advisor By Dealer Portal and sent him an email.
Not only That...a$48,000 dollar truck should not have broken trim in the first place.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I Had My Brake Light Replaced At The Dealer Under Warranty Three Weeks ago,and ,when I washed the Truck Today,The window is still leaking.
The Cracked Frame must be the Problem.
Contacted my Service Advisor By Dealer Portal and sent him an email.

I am very sorry to hear this. Please know that I just responded to your most recent PM. Please take a moment to view that and follow up when you can!

Mark
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
We can add my truck to the list ☹, two cracks in the rear window frame one crack on each side of the slider. Heading to the dealer Tuesday

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings, Florida Truck. I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for extra support if needed.

Mark
RamCares

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if the headliner can be replaced going in/out of the back glass area instead of removing the windshield?

Mine goes in Thursday for headliner replacement because of water stains. Dealer says it's the brake light leaking and it probably is but I also have the cracks in the back glass that is either leaking or will be leaking
I'm having to argue with them about the rear glass, so they plan to pull the windshield using a local glass company that has a reputation for screwing things up.
I've about had it with this thing, now I just about bet they are going to cause issues with the windshield.

Anyone besides me think the dealer tech needs to get his vision checked?

Rear Window Crack.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteRam

Reaction score
For those that have had their window replaced with a new one, has your new one cracked? Curious if they are slapping in the same part or installing an updated one.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
500 miles on ODO, just checked/noticed this weekend. Not leaking, but is cracked on both pillars, bringing it by dealer this afternoon. Build date 07-19, purchased just before Christmas with 24 miles on it. I have only opened and closed the slider window once since purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 104

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
500 miles on ODO, just checked/noticed this weekend. Not leaking, but is cracked on both pillars, bringing it by dealer this afternoon. Build date 07-19, purchased just before Christmas with 24 miles on it. I have only opened and closed the slider window once since purchase.
@RamCares WTF!!!!!

tonyplants

Reaction score
For those that have had their window replaced with a new one, has your new one cracked? Curious if they are slapping in the same part or installing an updated one.
I had mine done ~18 Nov and over 1,000 miles ago (see my threads earlier on the topic). I drove through ~6 hours of rain just yesterday.

I inspected it this morning and witnessed no visible cracks (as the original had) and no visible leaks (even felt the headliner for dampness).

Keep in mind, I had a year and 12,000 miles on the first rear window. Maybe having a person put it in vs. a robot will make the difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I had mine done ~18 Nov and over 1,000 miles ago (see my threads earlier on the topic). I drove through ~6 hours of rain just yesterday.

I inspected it this morning and witnessed no visible cracks (as the original had) and no visible leaks (even felt the headliner for dampness).

Keep in mind, I had a year and 12,000 miles on the first rear window. Maybe having a person put it in vs. a robot will make the difference.

Possible.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer knew it was a common issue. Said I wasn't the first with an eye roll. They said that others had come in because of leaks, and the techs found the cracks, luckily I caught mine pre-leaking. She took photos and have to order the replacement, will call when in to be replaced at a local auto glass shop, not there. Once I have it fixed, I will not use the slider at all and will keep an eye on it. Not sure if the cause is the tolerance in the channel and the glass, if it has to do with using the rear defroster and thermal expansion of that area when cold makes it snap or if initial installation is it. Obviously shouldn't be happening, but will deal with it. Otherwise, love the truck....so far.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
The dealer knew it was a common issue. Said I wasn't the first with an eye roll. They said that others had come in because of leaks, and the techs found the cracks, luckily I caught mine pre-leaking. She took photos and have to order the replacement, will call when in to be replaced at a local auto glass shop, not there. Once I have it fixed, I will not use the slider at all and will keep an eye on it. Not sure if the cause is the tolerance in the channel and the glass, if it has to do with using the rear defroster and thermal expansion of that area when cold makes it snap or if initial installation is it. Obviously shouldn't be happening, but will deal with it. Otherwise, love the truck....so far.

Hi Dookie,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern, however glad to hear that you are addressing it with your dealer. Please know that our team is just a private message away if you are in need of any extra support while working through this process with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Jyates04

Reaction score
My windshield is tinted, I told my dealer I don’t care what procedure says. DO NOT remove my windshield. This truck is like Pandora’s box, they fix one thing and 4 more things go wrong. I measured the rear window and windshield and theirs no reason it won’t fit through and it’d be easier to take it out through the bed instead of risking dragging it across the hood and possibly creaking more problems removing the windshield. I saw a guy post here in a thread that his dealer did his that way. It’d only make sense to kill two birds with one stone per say.

Does anyone know for sure if the headliner can be replaced going in/out of the back glass area instead of removing the windshield?

Mine goes in Thursday for headliner replacement because of water stains. Dealer says it's the brake light leaking and it probably is but I also have the cracks in the back glass that is either leaking or will be leaking
I'm having to argue with them about the rear glass, so they plan to pull the windshield using a local glass company that has a reputation for screwing things up.
I've about had it with this thing, now I just about bet they are going to cause issues with the windshield.

Anyone besides me think the dealer tech needs to get his vision checked?

View attachment 42859

Rexachef

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer and the told me that the rear brake light needs to be replaced. Should be in within a week. When I asked about to hairline crack in the back they told me I have to file an insurance claim to have it replaced. Can anyone help me get this resolved? The truck is only 9 months old with less than 6k miles on it. Warranty should cover it shouldn't it?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer and the told me that the rear brake light needs to be replaced. Should be in within a week. When I asked about to hairline crack in the back they told me I have to file an insurance claim to have it replaced. Can anyone help me get this resolved? The truck is only 9 months old with less than 6k miles on it. Warranty should cover it shouldn't it?

100% should cover it unless you had an accident that directly led to the defect/damage. Any defects are covered bumper to bumper unless it was caused by an external reason, such as paint chips on your hood. Certainly a cracked rear window frame is a factory defect unless they can prove it was caused by some external source.

You need to talk with the service adviser again and ask him why he thinks it isn't covered under warranty. Next step is to private message RamCares (see #134 post on this tread), send him your service adviser's office number extension.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
ya hell with that. that dealer is full of ****. they have probably replaced 100k rear windows by now.

Rexachef

Reaction score
100% should cover it unless you had an accident that directly led to the defect/damage. Any defects are covered bumper to bumper unless it was caused by an external reason, such as paint chips on your hood. Certainly a cracked rear window frame is a factory defect unless they can prove it was caused by some external source.

You need to talk with the service adviser again and ask him why he thinks it isn't covered under warranty. Next step is to private message RamCares (see #134 post on this tread), send him your service adviser's office number extension.
I sent RamCares a message already, just waiting on a response from them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I sent RamCares a message already, just waiting on a response from them.

Good, because your adviser is full if it if he thinks your insurance should cover that rear window crack. Unless it has a imprint of a baseball smashed into your rear window, he has no excuse for trying to pawn it off to another company.

Another option is to go to another RAM dealer, because they get paid decently to do warranty work. I suspect your service center is swamped and is using every trick in the book to avoid another vehicle coming in. These recent sales increases from RAM and Jeep seem to have inundated local dealerships for repair and maintenance work they weren't staffed for. I even get push-back from service department for doing oil changes they deem to early. I have 5 local FCA dealers in my county, they all seem really busy on the service side.

tonyplants

Reaction score

Update: Rear window defroster/defogger doesn't work now. Going to dealer tomorrow-hoping it is something simple while doing the rear window replacement.
6d5ea09752ebaff8f8a3d682945492e5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread