5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer and the told me that the rear brake light needs to be replaced. Should be in within a week. When I asked about to hairline crack in the back they told me I have to file an insurance claim to have it replaced. Can anyone help me get this resolved? The truck is only 9 months old with less than 6k miles on it. Warranty should cover it shouldn't it?
Total BS! A crack like that shouldn’t happen for any reason other than some kind of defect which is 100% covered by warranty. Speak to the GM.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
As others have stated, it’s covered 100%, they are replacing so many, mine is on order with no ETA..

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have the crack yet, but when it does crack, at least the plastic part you can see inside the cab, does that mean it will start leaking for sure?

Jyates04

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer and the told me that the rear brake light needs to be replaced. Should be in within a week. When I asked about to hairline crack in the back they told me I have to file an insurance claim to have it replaced. Can anyone help me get this resolved? The truck is only 9 months old with less than 6k miles on it. Warranty should cover it shouldn't it?
Absolutely not. That’s a 100% Ram warranty issue. It took about a week after calling the case manager and dealership twice a day to get mine approved. I wasn’t taking no for an answer. My next step was going to be my lawyer. So far I’ve got 6 acknowledged issues in 400 miles. The dealer has had possession of it more than I have since I’ve signed papers, made my first payment today and it’s in pieces at the dealership.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
Absolutely not. That’s a 100% Ram warranty issue. It took about a week after calling the case manager and dealership twice a day to get mine approved. I wasn’t taking no for an answer. My next step was going to be my lawyer. So far I’ve got 6 acknowledged issues in 400 miles. The dealer has had possession of it more than I have since I’ve signed papers, made my first payment today and it’s in pieces at the dealership.
Damn, your story sounds horrible. Sorry, you have to deal with this.

Jyates04

Reaction score
Crack in the plastic trim does not mean you have a leak or will get a leak. The piece that is cracking is not integral to the seal of the rear window or slider. I have had two cracks on that piece for about 6 months, no leaks whatsoever. When people are posting pictures showing water dripping from the cracks, it is because the leak is in the window seal near the cracks and the water is just flowing down near the cracks. I took my truck to the dealership, had them document the cracks on my records and should my window start leaking in the future ( because of the cracks?) I will have it replaced under warranty. I chose this route because the cracks are nearly invisible and I was more afraid of causing a leak by replacing a perfectly good window. Just my two cents on the issue.
I thought about going that route as well, but a truck with a $56,000 sticker with this many nuisance issues is completely unacceptable no matter what brand. If I could get out of this thing I would, I’m exhausting all avenues to do so at this point.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Update: Rear window defroster/defogger doesn't work now. Going to dealer tomorrow-hoping it is something simple while doing the rear window replacement.
6d5ea09752ebaff8f8a3d682945492e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Just left dealer; be advised, if having rear sliding defroster window replaced, make sure your defroster wires are attached and defrost function is working. Rubbing some snow or ice cube should produce enough cold moisture to see horizontal lines working.

Last edited:

steindog

Reaction score
Since so many of these rear windows are cracked and leaking does this mean the dealers are replacing these under warranty as a defective part even beyond the 12 months stated in the basic warranty? I just found the crack and only a few dried water drops underneath it on the glass. it will likely only get worse. I also have the lifetime warranty so either way I should have this addressed sooner than later. Thanks.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Since so many of these rear windows are cracked and leaking does this mean the dealers are replacing these under warranty as a defective part even beyond the 12 months stated in the basic warranty? I just found the crack and only a few dried water drops underneath it on the glass. it will likely only get worse. I also have the lifetime warranty so either way I should have this addressed sooner than later. Thanks.
You should be good with your warranty, physical cracks, and signs of leaking. I would recommend private message to RamCares, attach pics, then go from there.

whetrick1

Reaction score

Yes I've had mine for 1 1/2 ureas and they replaced mine under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score

That should definitely be covered under the 3yr / 36k mile warranty or under a recall after a warranty has expired.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I agree. I haven’t noticed any cracks on mine but have seen a couple water drips. I’m keeping an eye on it and if it gets worse, I’ll take it in. I’m not confident a replacement wouldn’t do the same thing unless their is a new design.

Crack in the plastic trim does not mean you have a leak or will get a leak. The piece that is cracking is not integral to the seal of the rear window or slider. I have had two cracks on that piece for about 6 months, no leaks whatsoever. When people are posting pictures showing water dripping from the cracks, it is because the leak is in the window seal near the cracks and the water is just flowing down near the cracks. I took my truck to the dealership, had them document the cracks on my records and should my window start leaking in the future ( because of the cracks?) I will have it replaced under warranty. I chose this route because the cracks are nearly invisible and I was more afraid of causing a leak by replacing a perfectly good window. Just my two cents on the issue.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Just Out Of Curiosity...Where is everyone From that is Having this Issue??
I bought my 2019 in July,, Build Date May 2019 and Live In San Antonio Texas.
Just wondering ,,,Because I cant Possibly Be the Only One In San Antonio with this Problem??

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 86

tonyplants

Reaction score
Just Out Of Curiosity...Where is everyone From that is Having this Issue??
I bought my 2019 in July,, Build Date May 2019 and Live In San Antonio Texas.
Just wondering ,,,Because I cant Possibly Be the Only One In San Antonio with this Problem??
I highly doubt you are the only one in San Antonio. I'm from MI and have had mine replaced after almost a year. There are multiple forums, Facebook groups, and threads on 5th Gen Rams on this issue.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
I highly doubt you are the only one in San Antonio. I'm from MI and have had mine replaced after almost a year. There are multiple forums, Facebook groups, and threads on 5th Gen Rams on this issue.

Yeah...I am on Two FB groups that have owners with this issue.
Not sure what other forums are available??

Users who are viewing this thread