5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Im curious of all the guys that went with RTV how that holds up over time. I had my rear window replaced under warranty but I'm curious if it will come back.

Also, for all the guys with issues... does your auto-insurance not have 100% glass coverage? In my state we are forced to carry it.

RTV is a little over 1 year old now. Pacific NW so lots of rain. No issues. Under $20 saves the day (and the truck).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksauers

Reaction score
Callie,

I think we all appreciate that Ram Cares is willing to help as an interface to our local dealership, but this is a Corporate issue. We need your organization to raise this up to someone that can address this from the Top down.

No one wants to go through this and certainly not multiple times.

The Dealerships are as frustrated as us owners!!!! This is a complete waste of time and money.

I also believe the water penetration through the rear window is causing "Electrical" issues that are a major safety concern.
I bought my first ram. Didn’t know anything about this problem. Been driving trucks for over 40 years. Never have I ever had to worry about leaking rear windows that cause $1000’s of electrical damage. Just another story of big business who sells a knowingly crap product. I just bought a 19 last year and rams response is basically tough ****. Na na da na you’re out of warranty

Tnkrmdc

Reaction score
After four visits between dealership and window shop, I still have leaks into the headliner and no resolve to the leaks. I am not waiting for the electronics behind the back to seat to get fried from water intrusion. I loved the truck otherwise but I don’t want a truck that I am constantly having to worry about water intrusion and expensive repair costs not covered by the warranty. Ram just lost a customer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
After four visits between dealership and window shop, I still have leaks into the headliner and no resolve to the leaks. I am not waiting for the electronics behind the back to seat to get fried from water intrusion. I loved the truck otherwise but I don’t want a truck that I am constantly having to worry about water intrusion and expensive repair costs not covered by the warranty. Ram just lost a customer.
Have you tried the three tricks to seal the window, third brake light, and shark fin? Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I would add to the thread to provide an update on the class action lawsuit. The class action lawsuit is still underway. It is "Effie Johnson Norman v. FCA US, LLC" (Case #2:22-cv-11393) and was originally filed on June 22, 2022 in Detroit. The last information I see is a May 10, 2023 Notice of Video Conference Hearing on a Motion to Dismiss Plaintiffs Complaint. The hearing is scheduled for June 10, 2023 at 2:00pm. It appears it may be a Zoom call. Not sure if this link is good or not, but if it is, we may be able to listen to the hearing.

Zoom Webinar Information: Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting
Passcode: 918619
Or One tap mobile : +16692545252,,1617184925# US (San Jose)

ksauers

Reaction score
Have you tried the three tricks to seal the window, third brake light, and shark fin? Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
You spend 10’s of thousands on a truck and YOU have to personally seal the windows to hopefully stop them from leaking. I call BS on that

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You spend 10’s of thousands on a truck and YOU have to personally seal the windows to hopefully stop them from leaking. I call BS on that
Welcome to America.
I cant even get an oil change from a dealership without getting the incorrect oil put in (yes it says on the cap).

If you want something done right do it yourself.
Most people working these jobs don't care about quality work or doing the job right and are often underpaid or qualified people not hired and people with no experience and very young who don't care about the job hired.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you want to spend all of your free time at the dealership, where they can't replicate the issue, or address the wrong "fix" for something, it's sometimes easiest and best to fix it yourself. At least you know it's done correctly and no additional damage will be done to your vehicle by an incompetent tech.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is BS for sure. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
Are you suggesting doing these three things preemptively, or if you encounter a problem? I'm not aware of any leaks in mine, but would I know?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone ever see the movie Idiocracy? It's pretty mediocre but scary how true it's becoming
Just swap "carbon emissions" with "electrolytes" and "has" and "doesn't have" and there we go.

There was another thread where the person got denied on a warranty repair at the dealership because they did not have a "leak technician" employed.
I wonder how many of them there would fail the IQ test.

carbonfold

Reaction score
Well, add me to the list. 2021 with about 50k. Have a slight dribble upper left and right but no visable crack. 3rd brake light has the 682298380AE as the factory installed. Might install the "AH" with the big fatter gasket... I'm assuming I'm out of pocket considering I'm outside the warranty period. Add this to another RAM expense that RAM doesn't cover for me.

I'll probably just hit it with the flowable silicone but found this video about "Poly Foam Caulk Saver" used in the same location on a Ford. Seems cleaner and easier to refresh later when needed. Anyone use this for this purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread