5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, add me to the list. 2021 with about 50k. Have a slight dribble upper left and right but no visable crack. 3rd brake light has the 682298380AE as the factory installed. Might install the "AH" with the big fatter gasket... I'm assuming I'm out of pocket considering I'm outside the warranty period. Add this to another RAM expense that RAM doesn't cover for me.

I'll probably just hit it with the flowable silicone but found this video about "Poly Foam Caulk Saver" used in the same location on a Ford. Seems cleaner and easier to refresh later when needed. Anyone use this for this purpose?

That would be worth a try before using Permatex, IMO.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at my back window, the gap is larger on top than it is on the sides. I'm not sure if you will be able to get 3/8" foam into the side gaps.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looking at my back window, the gap is larger on top than it is on the sides. I'm not sure if you will be able to get 3/8" foam into the side gaps.
That's what I was thinking too. Now that we have a new rear window, hopefully there won't be any more issues with that. But I'll be keeping a close eye on it...well when it starts raining again in the fall :ROFLMAO:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It'd be worth shoving the foam in there as a preventative measure. It rains so infrequently here that I could go years before I experience it and would likely be outside of warranty by then.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When they installed my new rear window they seem to have installed the glass with a lot smaller gap on the top so instead of the water draining off the roof and into that gap it tends to skip over the gap and go straight down the back glass which theritically should allow less water to have a chance to find a way in. Either way its been bone dry since I had the replacement 6 months ago.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, add me to the list. 2021 with about 50k. Have a slight dribble upper left and right but no visable crack. 3rd brake light has the 682298380AE as the factory installed. Might install the "AH" with the big fatter gasket... I'm assuming I'm out of pocket considering I'm outside the warranty period. Add this to another RAM expense that RAM doesn't cover for me.

I'll probably just hit it with the flowable silicone but found this video about "Poly Foam Caulk Saver" used in the same location on a Ford. Seems cleaner and easier to refresh later when needed. Anyone use this for this purpose?

This exactly the repair people need to see. The cracks can be imperceptible. Maybe it was this thread that I saw it but since guys are on the hook for the repair they are electing to go to shops to replace the glass with plain windows with no slider. Problem solved permanently at a fraction of the cost.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This exactly the repair people need to see. The cracks can be imperceptible. Maybe it was this thread that I saw it but since guys are on the hook for the repair they are electing to go to shops to replace the glass with plain windows with no slider. Problem solved permanently at a fraction of the cost.
Third break light leaking isn't going to be affected by getting rid of the sliding rear window

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Interesting. Seems much cleaner and easier. I just found a tiny bit of water under my rear passenger seat but have yet to find the source. No visible cracks in window framing and no headliner stains. I'm wondering if it came in when I was driving in the rain with the back window open which I do often. Not sure but definitely going to seal it anyway. I'm at 55K and never been to the dealer. Not gonna start now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Interesting.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Multiple sizes. After measuring, I chose 6mm. I'll follow up tomor if it gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread