5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's here but I'm heading to a kid's bday party. I have to wash the area first and make it nice and clean then I will attempt the full install.

I did test it and the 6mm squashes in the gaps perfectly. My guess is gap size may vary.

My plan:
Wash area
Apply 303 to seal for a bit of lube
Insert seal with my trim tools
Wait for storm
Report back to forum
Complain if it didn't work

Open to suggestions. I'll post a pic of my gap with measurement and the seal when I do it.

Time to go take over the kids waterslide :)

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone used a moisture meter? The water in my truck was a pretty small area and difficult to tell if it's damp sometimes with Florida humidity.

Would a typical moisture meter for drywall, concrete, wood, etc. work?

I've only seen ServPro use them in homes and other structures that get water damage when they are testing during restoration.

Screenshot_20230624_141027_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
84CE856E-41CB-4333-A749-D99E549D3467.jpeg
So it finally happened, after a week of heavy rain in Florida my rear window started leaking in the passenger side corner between the glass and plastic frame. No cracks yet at the slider but it looks like it’s bulging there. Has anyone else had the leak from the corner? I have a couple months left of the 3 year and have 32000 miles. I thought about using the flowable silicone on the outside and ATV on the inside but I’m sure If I do that the warranty will run out and I’ll have issues down the road with leaks from other spots. So off to the dealer I go next week to start my nightmare. Just wondering if anyone has had the corner leak and what was the response. Thanks I’m advance for any insight.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6mm failed because it was too small. I was able to squish it in there with my trim tools but there is a lot of space in there. I ended up doubling it up just because I was already there doing it. I'm going to see if I can go bigger and still get the seal in the gap.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6mm failed because it was too small. I was able to squish it in there with my trim tools but there is a lot of space in there. I ended up doubling it up just because I was already there doing it. I'm going to see if I can go bigger and still get the seal in the gap.
The guy in that Ford video was using 3/8th inch which would be closer to 10mm. However, if you were able to double it up I wonder if 13mm which is closer to 1/2 inch would work best?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I agree I'm definitely going to go bigger. I recall his gap was a bit bigger too. Mine is pretty tight but like I mentioned there is more void in there than I anticipated. I'm going to order a few sizes and see. Believe it or not, I had to stretch it a bit to get it through the gap as I was pushing it in with my trim tool as I was trying not to damage it. I could probably just fill that gap perfectly but it was very tedious trying to get it just right. I would rather stuff it all the way in like the Ford video.

Never retreat, never surrender!

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea I agree I'm definitely going to go bigger. I recall his gap was a bit bigger too. Mine is pretty tight but like I mentioned there is more void in there than I anticipated. I'm going to order a few sizes and see. Believe it or not, I had to stretch it a bit to get it through the gap as I was pushing it is with my trim tool as I was trying not to damage it. I could probably just fill that gap perfectly but it was very tedious trying to get it just right. I would rather stuff it all the way in like the Ford video.

Never retreat, never surrender!
Thanks for experimenting for us!

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
View attachment 161546
So it finally happened, after a week of heavy rain in Florida my rear window started leaking in the passenger side corner between the glass and plastic frame. No cracks yet at the slider but it looks like it’s bulging there. Has anyone else had the leak from the corner? I have a couple months left of the 3 year and have 32000 miles. I thought about using the flowable silicone on the outside and ATV on the inside but I’m sure If I do that the warranty will run out and I’ll have issues down the road with leaks from other spots. So off to the dealer I go next week to start my nightmare. Just wondering if anyone has had the corner leak and what was the response. Thanks I’m advance for any insight.
So I rolled into my local dealership this morning without an appointment explained to the service writer that I had a leak and I had the trim pieces off and had located the leak. All they needed to do was pour a cup full of water on it and take a picture. The rude women I was dealing with told me I needed a appointment and the first available was July 10, she said they would need the truck for a whole day, I questioned why she said there was a process they had to go through but could not explain what the process was. I asked if they had something I could drive for the day she rudely said no. So here I am rainy season in Florida with a nice leak she didn’t care if the carpet got ruined in the mean time. I have done all the detection work for them I would have thought they could take 5 minutes to document it and make the claim. So I’m looking at least a month before anything gets fixed what a joke! I’d rather get a root canal than dealing with the service department I hope that class action lawsuit happens soon this is ridiculous. Hey rams care I’m I going to get new carpet also since it will be ruined in a month of Florida rain.

carbonfold

Reaction score

After looking at mine, it might be worth doubling up in the long run due to the gap under the glass. There is a voided channel that runs under the glass (under the glass between the urethane seal and the edge of glass). I'm thinking it might be best to tightly tuck a seal in there between the glass and the body. Then take a second strip that pushes from the body (to the left/right of the glass edge) into the newly placed seal (wedge under the glass) to keep it in place and pressed into the channel under the glass. This would allow to run a 2nd outer (larger/thicker) seal towards the rooftop to fill the larger void and then go slightly small down the left/right sides of the glass where it is narrows.

Meaning, one solid strip all the around, two slightly larger dia vertical strips to keep it pressed in on the left/right and one larger dia horizontal strip to keep in pressed in on the roof top. Creates a double down water tight seal. Sounds good in theory that is....

@kdoublep , how tight did that 6mm tuck under the glass?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I rolled into my local dealership this morning without an appointment explained to the service writer that I had a leak and I had the trim pieces off and had located the leak. All they needed to do was pour a cup full of water on it and take a picture. The rude women I was dealing with told me I needed a appointment and the first available was July 10, she said they would need the truck for a whole day, I questioned why she said there was a process they had to go through but could not explain what the process was. I asked if they had something I could drive for the day she rudely said no. So here I am rainy season in Florida with a nice leak she didn’t care if the carpet got ruined in the mean time. I have done all the detection work for them I would have thought they could take 5 minutes to document it and make the claim. So I’m looking at least a month before anything gets fixed what a joke! I’d rather get a root canal than dealing with the service department I hope that class action lawsuit happens soon this is ridiculous. Hey rams care I’m I going to get new carpet also since it will be ruined in a month of Florida rain.
That’s dumb. I would pick up some of the 10mm foam stripping or at least tape up the whole seam outside the truck with some painters tape for now.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
That’s dumb. I would pick up some of the 10mm foam stripping or at least tape up the whole seam outside the truck with some painters tape for now.
Yea I’m going to do something for now the problem is water gets in the roof channel and flows to that corner even taping it the water would get under the tape because of the plastic channel. I will park as much as possible with the front facing down hill and keep towels crammed in the corner. What really pisses me off is the fact I had the trim off and found the leak in 10 minutes but I guess they need a whole day to figure it out. I’ve already sealed the shark fin and replaced the third brake light gasket with the rubber marine one so I’m positive it’s not those plus you can clearly see the water flowing in between the plastic frame and glass.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea I’m going to do something for now the problem is water gets in the roof channel and flows to that corner even taping it the water would get under the tape because of the plastic channel. I will park as much as possible with the front facing down hill and keep towels crammed in the corner. What really pisses me off is the fact I had the trim off and found the leak in 10 minutes but I guess they need a whole day to figure it out. I’ve already sealed the shark fin and replaced the third brake light gasket with the rubber marine one so I’m positive it’s not those plus you can clearly see the water flowing in between the plastic frame and glass.
Oh I see. If it's coming from that channel on the side of the roof you would need to seal it with silicone or something. I guess the you could still try the 10mm stripping, but youre right tape wont help. What a mess.

Roccologjam

Reaction score
Totally normal…/s I saw the water stains months/ miles ago, figured It was sons wet pool hair. Left truck out last night in rain and headliner was dripping. called Ram cares at the dealership direction, they basically told me to FOAD.

So here we are… I can tell you with good authority there is way more than 38

Mhons

Reaction score
Greetings, I own a 2019 ram 1500 limited and took it in today for the rear window leaking from a cracked frame. I was told by my dealership (Kolosso dodge/ram-Appleton) that neither my certified preowned warranty or my platinum extended warranty I purchased covered fixing the cracks and quoted me for $2100! Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s 2 years old! Can someone please help me resolve this issue?
Get hold of Ram Cares and see if they can help you. I'm going through the same with my 2021. Although mine is under 36 month warranty. and my Rf module fried as well.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking at mine, it might be worth doubling up in the long run due to the gap under the glass. There is a voided channel that runs under the glass (under the glass between the urethane seal and the edge of glass). I'm thinking it might be best to tightly tuck a seal in there between the glass and the body. Then take a second strip that pushes from the body (to the left/right of the glass edge) into the newly placed seal (wedge under the glass) to keep it in place and pressed into the channel under the glass. This would allow to run a 2nd outer (larger/thicker) seal towards the rooftop to fill the larger void and then go slightly small down the left/right sides of the glass where it is narrows.

Meaning, one solid strip all the around, two slightly larger dia vertical strips to keep it pressed in on the left/right and one larger dia horizontal strip to keep in pressed in on the roof top. Creates a double down water tight seal. Sounds good in theory that is....

@kdoublep , how tight did that 6mm tuck under the glass?
It may take a few smaller sizes as you stated due to the small gap before the void. I'm going to keep experimenting. Thanks for the ideas.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Oh I see. If it's coming from that channel on the side of the roof you would need to seal it with silicone or something. I guess the you could still try the 10mm stripping, but youre right tape wont help. What a mess.
Im just going to keep it dry as possible until my appointment I don’t want to do anything with it at this point I don’t want to give them a reason to void the warranty. Yea a mess for me and everyone that’s had to deal with this. Customer service really sucks since 2020.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Totally normal…/s I saw the water stains months/ miles ago, figured It was sons wet pool hair. Left truck out last night in rain and headliner was dripping. called Ram cares at the dealership direction, they basically told me to FOAD.

So here we are… I can tell you with good authority there is way more than 38
Total BS hopefully the pending class action suit will compensate anyone that’s had this crap problem!

Users who are viewing this thread