5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop getting the head liner and rear window replaced right now. Thankfully I noticed it with in the 3000/3 Month warranty when I bought the truck.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
Rear window and headliner have been replaced and zero leaks. The back window looks newer/different design than the original one.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Seal everything. Top of window, brake light and shark fin. There are no other penetrations in the roof for water to gain access. It’s stupid that we have to do this on new trucks but it’s worth the effort to resolve the annoying issue.
I had two coworkers ride with me for 8hrs to a bird hunt and they both repeatedly commented how amazing the ride is in my ram and how nice the interior is(Laramie). They both drive a comparable Sierrra, F-150(work), and Tundra.
Sealing everything may sound easy but does anyone have any tips for doing this? I'd rather just do this myself than mess with the dealer.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sealing everything may sound easy but does anyone have any tips for doing this? I'd rather just do this myself than mess with the dealer.
Why do it yourself IF it is under warranty and gets replaced for free?
Only thing that you can seal during your lunch hour would be your rear brake light -- they have new foam that is sticky on one side that is used (if you don't want the light replaced).
The rear window tends to crack allowing water to seep in (especially from the original 2rd brake lights).
The shark fin : you need to pull your headliner down in the rear to gain access to the mount.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Why do it yourself IF it is under warranty and gets replaced for free?
Only thing that you can seal during your lunch hour would be your rear brake light -- they have new foam that is sticky on one side that is used (if you don't want the light replaced).
The rear window tends to crack allowing water to seep in (especially from the original 2rd brake lights).
The shark fin : you need to pull your headliner down in the rear to gain access to the mount.
I'm past factory and have an extended warranty but its a pain to deal with. I was just thinking if I could do something myself, might be easier. I do have the crack and have a little water seep in when it rains (rare in West TX) but almost always during a car wash.

I have some foam that is sticky on one side. I may trim it up and add it to the brake light and see if it helps any. Thanks!

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Get the marine gasket at Home Depot for the 3rd break light it cost about $10.00, remove the old gasket from light and use some go gone to remove any additional adhesive left behind stick on new gasket. While brake light is removed tape off the top of the glass and the paint above the rear window put a nice bead of black silicone in the gap between the glass and paint. Give the silicone a few minutes to start setting up then smooth it out with some alcohol on your finger tip. Remove tape before the silicone dries. After silicone is dry replace break light do not over tighten the screws. As far as the shark fin goes tape the paint around the base and put a bead of silicone around it, it’s on top and won’t be seen. Also keep in mind you can get water intrusion from the cab vents behind the back seat. I did the break light and the cab vents on my sons 2018 and it’s been dry since. New cab vents are around $12.00 for the set they are the same for the 4th and 5th gen. It sucks we have to do this but since your truck is out of warranty this is a way cheaper alternative to replacing the rear glass.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also use 3M rope caulk to seal things up. I purchased this stuff years ago when installing new TTop weather stripping. It remains pliable and seals well. I just used it in the top channel of my rear window to seal a leak in the window seal. I had two small leaks and I found it was in the window seal. I previously sealed up the 3rd brake light and ran water over the rear window only to find my leak. I'm thinking of removing the 3rd brake light and applying a thin bead of the rope caulk around the light to seal it up also.

gwatt86

Reaction score
You can also use 3M rope caulk to seal things up. I purchased this stuff years ago when installing new TTop weather stripping. It remains pliable and seals well. I just used it in the top channel of my rear window to seal a leak in the window seal. I had two small leaks and I found it was in the window seal. I previously sealed up the 3rd brake light and ran water over the rear window only to find my leak. I'm thinking of removing the 3rd brake light and applying a thin bead of the rope caulk around the light to seal it up also.
How did you get it in that channel? I have some stuff but the "straw" attachment is still too wide to fit in the gap.

Bassmas5

Reaction score
What i want to know is why isn't this a recall item on these truck? I read on this forum and other about the back window frame cracking. I'm on my 2nd window now, on my 2019 Rebel, first replacement last about a year. I just think its BS that FCA make customers pay for this window when its a country wide issue.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
What i want to know is why isn't this a recall item on these truck? I read on this forum and other about the back window frame cracking. I'm on my 2nd window now, on my 2019 Rebel, first replacement last about a year. I just think its BS that FCA make customers pay for this window when its a country wide issue.

Because recalls are only used for safety issues.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you get it in that channel? I have some stuff but the "straw" attachment is still too wide to fit in the gap.
The rope caulk I have is about 1/4" round black caulk. I rolled it thru my hands until it was small enough to fit between the window and the body. I used a cardboard type card to push it in and around the top of the seal. Being that the caulk is sticky, it did get on the paint and the window, so I used a little gas on a paper towel to clean it all up. Cleans up easy and quickly with no remnants of the caulk install.

I do need to question if it worked as I washed my truck Saturday and I think I saw a dry water run on the back window yesterday. I need to check again.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Brought my truck in yesterday, window assembly being replaced and covered (TSB). But, they want to wait for the interior to be dry to assess the damage to the seats (potential issues with heated seats as well). They gave me two options, let them take the seat out to dry it, or I could dry it myself. I decided to dry it myself because I didn’t want to spend more time at the dealership (I’m in a different province at the moment and need the rear seats). Annnd, they’re replacing the shark fin because it was also leaking.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought my truck in yesterday, window assembly being replaced and covered (TSB). But, they want to wait for the interior to be dry to assess the damage to the seats (potential issues with heated seats as well). They gave me two options, let them take the seat out to dry it, or I could dry it myself. I decided to dry it myself because I didn’t want to spend more time at the dealership (I’m in a different province at the moment and need the rear seats). Annnd, they’re replacing the shark fin because it was also leaking.
they have to take the rear seats out anyway to replace the rear window, why not dry them with a fan while they are out?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
they have to take the rear seats out anyway to replace the rear window, why not dry them with a fan while they are out?
Good question, while I am waiting for parts I need to dry it out because it’s getting that moisture-laden smell. I’m hoping they’ll address the carpet, too, completely soaked.

gwatt86

Reaction score
The rope caulk I have is about 1/4" round black caulk. I rolled it thru my hands until it was small enough to fit between the window and the body. I used a cardboard type card to push it in and around the top of the seal. Being that the caulk is sticky, it did get on the paint and the window, so I used a little gas on a paper towel to clean it all up. Cleans up easy and quickly with no remnants of the caulk install.

I do need to question if it worked as I washed my truck Saturday and I think I saw a dry water run on the back window yesterday. I need to check again.
Did you get a chance to check if yours is sealed now?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did check and it is not. I spoke with my local body shop owner and asked how the roof trim comes off so I can see if the leak is coming from that, and seal it. He suggested that the factory sealant will only get worse and that I should have it addressed while under warranty. So, I plan on doing that. He said he has had luck in the past with having window tint covered by the warranty claim because I'm incurring additional out of pocket expenses for an issue that is a manufacturing flaw. I'll let you know if that works, but I doubt it.

nollocs

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 2019 Ram 1500 Sport. Ram "cares" is arguing that because the car is from Canada the warranty is voided, they refuse to help at all. I'm not sure why that should matter when it comes to a manufacturing defect! This is something that should be taken care of outside of warranty anyway since Ram is at fault. It's ok though ill drive my $50,000 truck with soaked carpets :)
I just got the same response from Ram Cares. Hopefully, the new lawsuit against FCA for water leaks in the cab will gain some traction. Dodge RAM 1500 class action alleges vehicles have water intrusion defect

I love my truck but it's hard to avoid the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread