5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the hellwig sway bar will help, it definitely stops a lot of the body roll, who knows?
Was thinking this, it might, a little.

I also wonder if people who off-road more, or just drive over rougher roads/terrain more often will be more likely to get this.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, and if this was Toyota, yes, they likely would fix this issue. But this is FCA/Stellantis, they have no such qualms is shafting us out of warranty. I mention Toyota because my buddy has an older 2012 RAV 4, but there is an issue with some white paint on that generation. Guess what, Toyota repainted his whole truck 8 years later due to that fault, even though paint is only covered for 3 years / 36K on his car, no extended warranty either, no recall even. Just a technical bulletin. There is a technical bulletin on our windows, but it won't be honored out of warranty.

Though if you got a good relationship with your dealer, they may help you out of warranty, it's worth a try.
I don't know about that. Toyota builds a good vehicle but they're no different than any other manufacturer. They had a known problem with wheel bearings on the Tundra's. The service manager told me they continued to produce the same flawed bearing for years until finally improving the part. Not sure if it was driven by a law suit. That repair cost me $1200. The Toyota dealership wanted almost $2000 to fix it. My truck only had 30k miles on it but it was more than 36 months old. The Tundra's also had an issue with leaky timing chain covers. Fortunately I caught mine before my warranty expired. A buddy of mine wasn't so lucky.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Toyota builds a good vehicle but they're no different than any other manufacturer. They had a known problem with wheel bearings on the Tundra's. The service manager told me they continued to produce the same flawed bearing for years until finally improving the part. Not sure if it was driven by a law suit. That repair cost me $1200. The Toyota dealership wanted almost $2000 to fix it. My truck only had 30k miles on it but it was more than 36 months old. The Tundra's also had an issue with leaky timing chain covers. Fortunately I caught mine before my warranty expired. A buddy of mine wasn't so lucky.

Well these are all anecdotal evidence that we gain from personal experience. Yours can be much different than mine. But I can tell you owning both my Rebel and a Toyota C-HR is literally night and day when it comes to dealership customer service. I don't want to go into detail, it would be a giant rant.

However, if you look at RAM and the rest of FCA/Stellantis dealership network, they have placed last these last few years in dealership customer service rankings, while Toyota is in the Top 5. Surprisingly, Chevrolet is ranked 2nd! Fixing that Silverado interior and good dealer customer service may make my eye wonder over to that 2022 Trail Boss.

Luckily, my Rebel has been one of the most solid and trouble free vehicles I've ever owned since new. But I cringe at the thought that I will get something that will actually require me to go to a dealership. Again, based on my own experiences.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well these are all anecdotal evidence that we gain from personal experience. Yours can be much different than mine. But I can tell you owning both my Rebel and a Toyota C-HR is literally night and day when it comes to dealership customer service. I don't want to go into detail, it would be a giant rant.

However, if you look at RAM and the rest of FCA/Stellantis dealership network, they have placed last these last few years in dealership customer service rankings, while Toyota is in the Top 5. Surprisingly, Chevrolet is ranked 2nd! Fixing that Silverado interior and good dealer customer service may make my eye wonder over to that 2022 Trail Boss.

Luckily, my Rebel has been one of the most solid and trouble free vehicles I've ever owned since new. But I cringe at the thought that I will get something that will actually require me to go to a dealership. Again, based on my own experiences.
I had a great dealer for my Tundra but unfortunately they didn't do anything to help me out. I agree with you that Toyota dealerships have a better reputation that Ram, but I'm not going to choose a vehicle based on that alone. Most vehicles today are pretty reliable, so unless bad luck follows you around, you shouldn't have much interaction with your dealer after the purchase.

So far, my Ram dealership has been awesome. I couldn't believe how willing they were to get my wheels/tires and leveling kit installed...I didn't even ask, they offered. They also bought my stock wheels/tires without me asking. Hopefully I never need warranty work, but if I do the Google reviews for my dealership are promising.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had a great dealer for my Tundra but unfortunately they didn't do anything to help me out. I agree with you that Toyota dealerships have a better reputation that Ram, but I'm not going to choose a vehicle based on that alone. Most vehicles today are pretty reliable, so unless bad luck follows you around, you shouldn't have much interaction with your dealer after the purchase.

So far, my Ram dealership has been awesome. I couldn't believe how willing they were to get my wheels/tires and leveling kit installed...I didn't even ask, they offered. They also bought my stock wheels/tires without me asking. Hopefully I never need warranty work, but if I do the Google reviews for my dealership are promising.

Absolutely, I agree, or I wouldn't own a RAM if I went with the dealerships reputation alone. I took quite a jump to be honest, I'm traditionally a Ford guy, I bought a 2019 RAM, first of year production with a dealer network with low industry scores. But after seeing that red Rebel on the lot, I had to have it, the 25% discount (near end of year rebates) made the decision easy.

So far, I've been very happy, again zero issues with this truck, knock on wood of course.

SHANEOMACSKI23

Reaction score
2019 limited with 57k miles and finally saw the dreaded water stain on my headliner. I thought it was from the 3rd brake light since I had just swapped out the halogen for led bulbs. Pulled my 3rd brake light off and no sign of water. Also checked the the shark fin and no signs of leaking. Did check the seals on the rear window and saw some low points that fall beneath the window contact. My guess is, once the plastic cracks on the inside (which I just saw after seeing the water stain) the interior plastic will let water through from the low points of the sealant. Cleaning the water stain and sealing the top portion on the rear window. Will provide update, if anyone is interested. BTW, it's been pouring here so I believe my checks with the Shark fin and 3rd brake light are legitimate...

ammoking67

Reaction score
2019 limited with 57k miles and finally saw the dreaded water stain on my headliner. I thought it was from the 3rd brake light since I had just swapped out the halogen for led bulbs. Pulled my 3rd brake light off and no sign of water. Also checked the the shark fin and no signs of leaking. Did check the seals on the rear window and saw some low points that fall beneath the window contact. My guess is, once the plastic cracks on the inside (which I just saw after seeing the water stain) the interior plastic will let water through from the low points of the sealant. Cleaning the water stain and sealing the top portion on the rear window. Will provide update, if anyone is interested. BTW, it's been pouring here so I believe my checks with the Shark fin and 3rd brake light are legitimate...
Please keep us all informed on your progress.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I noticed a headliner stain(again) after having my brake light seal replaced last year. Hairline cracked frame this time. Dealer says they replace about one rear window a day on the rams and there were two(including my truck) that morning. After telling me that my mopar warranty wouldn’t cover the $1800 repair I backed out of the service bay and didn’t look back. I have a quote for $1300 from a private glass shop to do the work but I may try sealing it first. It’s worth a $10 tube of black silicone at this point.
If these trucks had failing engines at this rate, I would think FCA would publicly admit a flaw and resolve the issue.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a headliner stain(again) after having my brake light seal replaced last year. Hairline cracked frame this time. Dealer says they replace about one rear window a day on the rams and there were two(including my truck) that morning. After telling me that my mopar warranty wouldn’t cover the $1800 repair I backed out of the service bay and didn’t look back. I have a quote for $1300 from a private glass shop to do the work but I may try sealing it first. It’s worth a $10 tube of black silicone at this point.
If these trucks had failing engines at this rate, I would think FCA would publicly admit a flaw and resolve the issue.
as someone else said, it's probably only a small portion of the millions of trucks that were sold that have the issue. Everyone just thinks it's a problem because they see everyone complaining on here.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well, I purchased a 10oz tube of top shelf GE silicone and thinned it out with mineral spirits so that it flowed. Permatex sells a similar product that you can purchase in a tube for sealing leaky windshields.
To prep the area for application, I used compressed air to blow out dust, then used a pipe brush and isopropyl alcohol. To get the silicone into the channel between the glass and the body, I used a syringe for dosing cough syrup for kiddos. If I were to do it again I would use a squirt bottle(ie a condiment bottle).
Additionally, to keep the silicone from draining down the sides of the window, I stuck two pieces of foam backer rod in the channel to temporarily create a dam. Masking the body and the glass was a must and I would recommend pulling the tape while the silicone is wet to ensure a clean edge.
I tested the window again this morning with the hose and so far I think this has resolved the leak issue.
The silicone I used was “clear” but it dries cloudy. I would recommend black silicone, but in all honesty you can’t see the silicone unless you put your face up against the truck. I am picky and it doesn’t bother me.

Attachments

• 2C2940E4-DAA4-451F-9F62-3E7CD07FD4FA.jpeg
    2C2940E4-DAA4-451F-9F62-3E7CD07FD4FA.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 6191DD28-3FDB-41BF-98B1-477A0EDB0B0B.jpeg
    6191DD28-3FDB-41BF-98B1-477A0EDB0B0B.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 21446104-B10B-4FC9-9059-60F5F0755A67.jpeg
    21446104-B10B-4FC9-9059-60F5F0755A67.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 322

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, I purchased a 10oz tube of top shelf GE silicone and thinned it out with mineral spirits so that it flowed. Permatex sells a similar product that you can purchase in a tube for sealing leaky windshields.
To prep the area for application, I used compressed air to blow out dust, then used a pipe brush and isopropyl alcohol. To get the silicone into the channel between the glass and the body, I used a syringe for dosing cough syrup for kiddos. If I were to do it again I would use a squirt bottle(ie a condiment bottle).
Additionally, to keep the silicone from draining down the sides of the window, I stuck two pieces of foam backer rod in the channel to temporarily create a dam. Masking the body and the glass was a must and I would recommend pulling the tape while the silicone is wet to ensure a clean edge.
I tested the window again this morning with the hose and so far I think this has resolved the leak issue.
The silicone I used was “clear” but it dries cloudy. I would recommend black silicone, but in all honesty you can’t see the silicone unless you put your face up against the truck. I am picky and it doesn’t bother me.
That's pretty much how I was thinking it could be fixed. I will have the window replaced by a dealership if mine ever starts leaking while the truck is still under warranty. But I'll definitely do something like this if it happens after the warranty expires. Thanks for posting this.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
So my leaks almost completely stopped when I sealed the top of the rear window but I continued to get maybe 5% of the original leaking from before. I used some black silicone sealant and completely sealed the base of the shark fin and the gap between the third brake light and the cab, and now my leaks are gone. I do believe that part of the issue was the drain hole at the back of the shark fin. If I parked on my driveway(sloped) with nose down, rain water would roll off of my RTT onto the roof of my truck and hit right about the shark fin location. FYI.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I sealed my shark fin and the brake light with black silicone and all leaks are stopped!
I do think with the angle of my driveway and the rain water flowing off my RTT, that it hit the drain hole on the shark fin antenna and entered the cab that way.
One less flaw to worry about.

WanderingRam

Reaction score
I just noticed a stain on my headliner today. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it was from the 3rd brake light.
There are no visible cracks on the inside, the only possible crack I see is on the top seal between the window and cab
I have a 2019 with 32k miles that went out of waranty 2 months ago. It doesn't look like FCA wants to cover it under waranty anyways.
This problem did occur overnight and for the price of these things, I should not have to pay $1800+ to fix it at 3 years.

Looks I'm going to have to try to seal it or sell it.

Attachments

• 276013810_1273000569890295_6771028704368618480_n.jpg
    276013810_1273000569890295_6771028704368618480_n.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 1619196093362.png
    1619196093362.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

ScottWin

Reaction score
Greetings, I own a 2019 ram 1500 limited and took it in today for the rear window leaking from a cracked frame. I was told by my dealership (Kolosso dodge/ram-Appleton) that neither my certified preowned warranty or my platinum extended warranty I purchased covered fixing the cracks and quoted me for $2100! Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s 2 years old! Can someone please help me resolve this issue?
My 2020 Ram had the same issue, was covered under warranty. Replaced the back window (frame?) And now the replacement is one is leaking. Should have spent the extra money and got the Toyota Tundra. Back to the dealer on Monday to see what they are going to do.

Attachments

• 20220416_161304.jpg
    20220416_161304.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220416_161302.jpg
    20220416_161302.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 72

SD Rebel

Reaction score
All my leaks are solved. These are very nice trucks with a few flaws. $20 in silicone and two hours will resolve this issue. Not ideal, but it’s reality.

I may need to pick your brain in the next couple of years when mine may crack. I rather not have the window replaced, and since I'll be out of warranty regardless of any extended warranty I can purchase, I rather just seal it up with silicone, cover the interior cracks with some black decal and call it a day.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for this! Mine is cracked but is not leaking yet fortunately, I’m way past warranty so I’m gonna give this a shot

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Thank you for this! Mine is cracked but is not leaking yet fortunately, I’m way past warranty so I’m gonna give this a shot
If you don’t suffer from leaks but want to hide the cracks, you could use a small tube of black RTV silicone and fill the interior cracks with that. It would be flexible when cured and easy to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread