5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

McRAM19

Reaction score
Seal everything. Top of window, brake light and shark fin. There are no other penetrations in the roof for water to gain access. It’s stupid that we have to do this on new trucks but it’s worth the effort to resolve the annoying issue.
I had two coworkers ride with me for 8hrs to a bird hunt and they both repeatedly commented how amazing the ride is in my ram and how nice the interior is(Laramie). They both drive a comparable Sierrra, F-150(work), and Tundra.
I sealed my 3rd brake light and noticed it‘s still leaking but not has much. Will sealing the top part of the rear window work? I can see where water can get into the small ledge.

McRAM19

Reaction score
I just got the same response from Ram Cares. Hopefully, the new lawsuit against FCA for water leaks in the cab will gain some traction. Dodge RAM 1500 class action alleges vehicles have water intrusion defect

I love my truck but it's hard to avoid the rain.
Same here. Love the truck but this water issue is a joke and should not be happening. Ram needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge the issue and take care of their customers. It’s pretty obvious this is a defect.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I’ve had the rear assembly replaced very recently but they’ll have to do it again because the new assembly itself had some defects. Re: locks - there are days when I can’t unlock my truck and when I use the key it sets off the alarm. I sit there through the noise and try like hell to stop the horn. Minutes pass before I can stop the alarm. Further to this my driver’s side window switch doesn’t work properly and there was an instance when using the toggle switch my seat began to move - I was nowhere near the controls for my seat. FCA is going to replace the middle seat cover (typical Laramie leather scenario) but no time allocated for cleaning the carpet or headliner.

@RamCares ?

Last edited:

2019Raven

Reaction score
Add me to the list. I have the dreaded leaking of water around the sliding rear window. Just very minor right now but there. I am seeing if I can get the warranty transferred from the previous owner to me as I am still under the 3yr/36K bumper to bumper.

2019Raven

Reaction score
Pictures of the crack

Attachments

• 655F1E16-3612-4C0F-9B04-E3EEB37F326B.jpeg
    655F1E16-3612-4C0F-9B04-E3EEB37F326B.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 76
  • FB6B218B-FF97-4616-A364-2A9A578E2019.jpeg
    FB6B218B-FF97-4616-A364-2A9A578E2019.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 7B8C4C41-65E8-4ABD-A852-7507FC6F1929.jpeg
    7B8C4C41-65E8-4ABD-A852-7507FC6F1929.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 74
  • D3BD2177-A59C-46D9-9F3E-4ECFCED9CE2B.jpeg
    D3BD2177-A59C-46D9-9F3E-4ECFCED9CE2B.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 75

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list. I have the dreaded leaking of water around the sliding rear window. Just very minor right now but there. I am seeing if I can get the warranty transferred from the previous owner to me as I am still under the 3yr/36K bumper to bumper.
Hey!

We're sorry to hear about your rear window leak. If you'd like some assistance, and have had a dealer appointment in the last 2 weeks or one scheduled in the next two, we'd love for you to send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

biggggant

Reaction score
Just ran into this issue in my 2019 rebel and since I am out of warranty my dealer tried to go through my extended warranty company, fidelity, who said its not covered. This sucks truck only has 56k miles on it @RamCares I reached out on the ram cares twitter and they took down my info. Anything else you can do here?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

We work across all platforms to connect you with a case manager! You can reach out to us here or on Twitter, and we can help you just the same. We're glad we could help you on and are awaiting your case manager's response.

Callie
Ram Cares

biggggant

Reaction score
Hey there,

We work across all platforms to connect you with a case manager! You can reach out to us here or on Twitter, and we can help you just the same. We're glad we could help you on and are awaiting your case manager's response.

Callie
Ram Cares
just saw your reply on twitter. Thanks!

Untuchable14

Reaction score
I also just ran into this issue. My third party won't cover it either. I only have 30k miles but past my 3 year on my Bighorn. My tire sensors won't work either. The dealership is charging me $540 just to run the diagnostic and tell me there is a leak in the 3rd brake light, sharkfin, and glass. I need a new RF adapter too because of the leak. They quoted me $2,400 to fix everything. I have found Mopar documents sent nationwide telling dealerships how to fix the problem. Called Dodge customer service and was told they can tell its an issue but im on my own getting it fixed. Sounds like they are acknowledgeding the problem but will only fix it if it's under waranty. I messaged Ram Cares waiting on a response. Maybe the local news should start an investigation.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also just ran into this issue. My third party won't cover it either. I only have 30k miles but past my 3 year on my Bighorn. My tire sensors won't work either. The dealership is charging me $540 just to run the diagnostic and tell me there is a leak in the 3rd brake light, sharkfin, and glass. I need a new RF adapter too because of the leak. They quoted me $2,400 to fix everything. I have found Mopar documents sent nationwide telling dealerships how to fix the problem. Called Dodge customer service and was told they can tell its an issue but im on my own getting it fixed. Sounds like they are acknowledgeding the problem but will only fix it if it's under waranty. I messaged Ram Cares waiting on a response. Maybe the local news should start an investigation.
No doubt they will try not to fix it as much as possible. It can be a major safety issue if the water leaks onto the battery back behind the rear seat too.

2019Raven

Reaction score
You can try to fix the water leak on ur own. Permatex Windshild seal on the rear window. RTV the shark fin (just in case) and MD auto and marine weather seal the third brake light. That should fix the leak.

rocketsk8s555

Reaction score
2019 limited with 57k miles and finally saw the dreaded water stain on my headliner. I thought it was from the 3rd brake light since I had just swapped out the halogen for led bulbs. Pulled my 3rd brake light off and no sign of water. Also checked the the shark fin and no signs of leaking. Did check the seals on the rear window and saw some low points that fall beneath the window contact. My guess is, once the plastic cracks on the inside (which I just saw after seeing the water stain) the interior plastic will let water through from the low points of the sealant. Cleaning the water stain and sealing the top portion on the rear window. Will provide update, if anyone is interested. BTW, it's been pouring here so I believe my checks with the Shark fin and 3rd brake light are legitimate...
How are you coming along with a fix?

Users who are viewing this thread