5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

gwatt86

Reaction score
I actually have not sealed the back window yet, after replacing the 3rd brake light seal all my leaks stopped, even though the rear window frame is definitely cracked.
It may be in a post further back, but did you just replace the seal with one from a Lowes/Home Depot?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may be in a post further back, but did you just replace the seal with one from a Lowes/Home Depot?
I did it a while ago and not sure I posted on this thread about it, just some rubber weather stripping and silicone from Home Depot did the trick!

scenicroute9

Reaction score
I noticed the rear window cracks a few weeks ago -- kids noticed some water on inside after going through a car wash. My local dealer is notoriously bad regarding service. Still under warranty, but close (31,400/Nov). It took a week of calls and online chat to finally get a hold of someone only to be told that they can't get me into the shop until Sept 20th and that it will take at least 3 days to diagnose issue. I mentioned the StarCase that was shared on the forum and was told that wasn't useful. They also said no loaner vehicles and warranty doesn't cover rental. I live in the Tacoma, WA area so rainy season is about to start and makes me super nervous. I'm assuming any of the DIY fix options would void my warranty? (not that the warranty has much value based on alot of these posts).

I did reach out to RamCares here, so hopefully they are able to assist somehow. These forums have been great for lots of easy to find info - so thanks to everyone!

N0cturnal

Reaction score
Forgive me if this sounds silly, but did anyone with air suspension experienced the cracked rear window frame?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this sounds silly, but did anyone with air suspension experienced the cracked rear window frame?
Yes, my wife's 2020 Limited has cracks in her rear window frame. They've been there since it was 6 months old. No signs of leaking yet but we're keeping a close eye on it every time it rains, or after a wash.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I just replaced the seal with the auto weather stripping from Lowe's and I still have the same leak. Ran the garden hose over it to simulate rain. Prior to replacing the seal, I ran a bead of silicone right above the window. Not sure what else to do at this point but take it somewhere. I'm pretty sure my extended warranty doesn't cover a leak for some reason so I may need them to call it something else. What a joke, Ram.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out if the 3rd brake light and rear window leaks are happening to any 2022 models. Can anyone confirm please?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found a video this past week where someone purchased clear "flowable" window caulk. The tube is about 1.5oz. The guy put tape above and below the outside window channel and slowly started squeezing the caulk into the channel. It flowed down and into the channel filling any voids from the factory. He then water tested and had no more minor leaks. I bought the caulk this weekend and haven't tried this myself yet, but I will.

Permatex-81730-Windshield-and-Glass-Adhesive-1.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I found a video this past week where someone purchased clear "flowable" window caulk. The tube is about 1.5oz. The guy put tape above and below the outside window channel and slowly started squeezing the caulk into the channel. It flowed down and into the channel filling any voids from the factory. He then water tested and had no more minor leaks. I bought the caulk this weekend and haven't tried this myself yet, but I will.

Permatex-81730-Windshield-and-Glass-Adhesive-1.png
Can you put this around the shark fin too?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I would as it's a flowable caulk and will be runnier than a regular caulk. Once it dries, it has the same characteristics, but applying it would make a mess.

Check this out. Fast forward to the 5 minute mark.

Last edited:

gwatt86

Reaction score
I actually bought some yesterday and put it in the channel. Haven’t been able to test yet, I want to give it the 24 hours to cure. I’ll report back.

gwatt86

Reaction score
We had gentle rain this afternoon and sure enough, still a leak, even after using the Permatex. I went ahead and added some more but not sure it’s going to work.

It’s not coming from the brake light. I replaced the gasket and when I took off the light again today, there’s no evidence of water bypassing the gasket. It’s got to be getting in somewhere in that channel underneath.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We had gentle rain this afternoon and sure enough, still a leak, even after using the Permatex. I went ahead and added some more but not sure it’s going to work.

It’s not coming from the brake light. I replaced the gasket and when I took off the light again today, there’s no evidence of water bypassing the gasket. It’s got to be getting in somewhere in that channel underneath.
Do you have the sliding rear window?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

Mine leaked in two places, the third brake light and the shark fin.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone with 3.6 had the cracked rear window frame? Wondering if it's a body twisting/torquing thing with the higher HP engines.
There was talk about engineering change that ended up using incorrect adhesive, not allowing enough flex for differences in thermal expansion between the sheet metal and the window frame.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a small crack in mine today. We haven’t had any rain for a few weeks but no leak after washing it. I’m long past the warranty now but not looking forward to this repair. Curious if everyone is going to the dealer or should I just try a glass shop since the dealers almost always sub out glass work anyway.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glass shop if you don't feel like fixing it your self. I think it is around USD 1500 to replace the whole assembly?
Buys a lot of flow-able RTV

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious - Anybody with a '22 experiencing a glass/shark fin leak or was this fixed for the 2022 model year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online