5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

toyboy1980

Reaction score
This is surprising to me since, as far as I know, there is no remote open for the rambox lids. When they are functioning correctly you have to push the button on the lid to open them. Only the lock is supposed to be powered. Maybe it's similar to the 4th gen tailgate issue when it would open when the auto locks engaged while driving. They had no remote open function either, but it seemed to be electrical.
Yeah it’s an electronic release scenario for me as well. Any time I open and then close a driver’s side door, wait a few seconds, and it unlatches.

I wound up unhooking the electronic latch via the harness, and am just using the key to unlock, until I can get it fixed.

Side note, I actually almost like the extra security of needing the key to get into it. Feels a little more secure, like a true tool box. Anyway, blah blah.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This problem started for me yesterday. It absolutely has something to do with the running boards retracting. When I exit the vehicle the RamBox door mechanism actuates (I can hear it) and the rambox opens. It usually does this twice. After closing the door the second time it usually doesn't do it again. If I open the rambox fully after it has done it the first time I have actually watched the electric lock moving while the truck is off. It is an electrical problem...100% positive. I've got it on video. I've reached out to RamCares and waiting on a call back. I will let yall know what they have to say. I can even hear something in the cab clicking when the Rambox opens. I assume this is coming from a relay in the cab that unlatches the box??
Please know that you may also reach out to our team directly via private messages on this forum. If you would like us to look into this further for you, please send us a PM with your VIN or case number. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
2021 Ram Bighorn night edition is doing the ram box magic open while driving. However I get rapid clicking under the drive side dash and the actuator for the driver side ram box is clicking as well. Usually start when I remote start the truck and unlock to get in. I have video of this happening.

Last edited:

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Happened a couple times a few weeks ago while in the driveway. Got something out of the truck cab and when I returned later it was unlatched. First time it's happened while driving today, though.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
Mine keeps happening was able to get appt with dealer on Tuesday. We will see what happens. I will keep everyone posted!

toyboy1980

Reaction score
It is for mine.
I think maybe it is for everybody. I’ve been too busy with the holidays and work to take it to the dealer, etc. I wound up taking the electronic release pin out of the harness at the locking mechanism. So it only opens with a key now, but the lights still work. In some ways I actually kinda like that one opening only with the key. I’ll probably still get it fixed, but I might leave it as key only.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
I think maybe it is for everybody. I’ve been too busy with the holidays and work to take it to the dealer, etc. I wound up taking the electronic release pin out of the harness at the locking mechanism. So it only opens with a key now, but the lights still work. In some ways I actually kinda like that one opening only with the key. I’ll probably still get it fixed, but I might leave it as key only.
I will more than likely do the same. I’m thinking somehow it got wet because it started after I washed it. Somehow it has changed. Now the clicking has stopped but when I shut the truck off and get out, it will pop open. I can close it and noticed the button no longer popes the actuator. It’s so odd just the driver side. But it has me worried as the passenger side and tailgate are actuators as well. So disappointing to spend a ton of money have 1200 miles on it and already having issues. Granted it’s not a big deal but what next. I have owned rams for years and never experienced issues in any of them accept this one.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow, I am about to factory order a truck with ram box and MFT now I'm second guessing those options. interested to see what comes of this!
do you all have power running boards?

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
wow, I am about to factory order a truck with ram box and MFT now I'm second guessing those options. interested to see what comes of this!
I don’t. I can see a recall coming for sure. It’s a little scary having It pop open while driving I haven’t been going fast enough to cause damage but I can only imagine.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Despite this issue, I REALLY like the Ram Box functionality and storage. It’s undeniably handy.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
Despite this issue, I REALLY like the Ram Box functionality and storage. It’s undeniably handy.
I do agree. I think I will get rid of the actuators and just use key to open. It funny I’m sitting in living room keys are right next to me and I can hear it pop. I go in garage to close it 15min later it pops again. So strange!!!

toyboy1980

Reaction score

this shows the box opening for no reason.
Yeah. That’s exactly what mine was doing. Just an FYI, if you remove the push pins from the plastic cover on the inside and remove it, you’ll see the white harness plug at the actuator/locking mechanism. You can unplug that and it’ll solve the problem. I didn’t like that it also killed my lights inside the box though, so I pulled the individual wire responsible for electronic unlocking out of the harness, that way my lights still work. I’m actually totally happy with this setup. My passenger side still opens with the button, but you need the key for the driver side. Makes it slightly more secure. I can take a picture tomorrow of which wire it is, if you’re interested.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
Yeah. That’s exactly what mine was doing. Just an FYI, if you remove the push pins from the plastic cover on the inside and remove it, you’ll see the white harness plug at the actuator/locking mechanism. You can unplug that and it’ll solve the problem. I didn’t like that it also killed my lights inside the box though, so I pulled the individual wire responsible for electronic unlocking out of the harness, that way my lights still work. I’m actually totally happy with this setup. My passenger side still opens with the button, but you need the key for the driver side. Makes it slightly more secure. I can take a picture tomorrow of which wire it is, if you’re interested.
Ya if you could that would be great

redbranch

Reaction score
Driver's side on mine too. Bought the truck not two weeks ago, and love everything else about it. Please do post a pic so I'll know which wire to pull. Thanks!

toyboy1980

Reaction score
@redbranch @RAMguy1981 Sorry it took me until tonight to get to this.

Here’s a picture of the wire to pull out of the harness. It’s the lighter green wire. No stripe. I put a piece of heat shrink over it just to guarantee that it wouldn’t touch anything and do anything weird.

The other two are for the lights, which I wanted to still function normally. Pulling the wire pictured just disables the electronic portion of the lock. You’ll need to use the key to open it. Which I actually don’t mind.

Attachments

• C3261422-7DC4-4925-9B5A-B0144606131B.jpeg
    C3261422-7DC4-4925-9B5A-B0144606131B.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 80

Users who are viewing this thread