5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

moparleo51

Reaction score
I never got a part number.they said it would work and it was from a 2019 ram. That's why I haven't bought it yet waiting for someone to show and confirm what one looks likes from a ram with the mirror smart beam feature.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hulk181

Reaction score
The part number for the interior mirror with the camera for smart beam is MOP-68312206AA MIRROR, INSIDE REAR VIEW, 2019-2020 (Mfr. #: 68312206AA). I purchased mine through Summit Racing Equipment.
Initially when I put mine in and used the five AlfaOBD commands that are posted online to activate it my tailgate would lock up and couldn't open it. I went through line by line and found out what was causing it to happen. It was the third AlfaOBD line LIN & Misc: Smart Beam Present (AHBM). Once I changed it back to NO the tailgate worked again and the smart beam worked. 053c595db6a33cb844277e66b61c3b90.jpg I
I also just got my rain sense wipers to work once I switched out the sensor that came with the truck.

papester

Reaction score
The part number for the interior mirror with the camera for smart beam is MOP-68312206AA MIRROR, INSIDE REAR VIEW, 2019-2020 (Mfr. #: 68312206AA). I purchased mine through Summit Racing Equipment.
Initially when I put mine in and used the five AlfaOBD commands that are posted online to activate it my tailgate would lock up and couldn't open it. I went through line by line and found out what was causing it to happen. It was the third AlfaOBD line LIN & Misc: Smart Beam Present (AHBM). Once I changed it back to NO the tailgate worked again and the smart beam worked. View attachment 45764 I
I also just got my rain sense wipers to work once I switched out the sensor that came with the truck.
Is there a spot on your windshield for the camera to "see" out of ? Like there is for the rain sensor.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Is there a spot on your windshield for the camera to "see" out of ? Like there is for the rain sensor.
It actually looks under the frit. If you look at the windshield from the front of the truck, there should be a square cutout on the mirror shroud on the bottom right. That's where the camera would be

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

papester

Reaction score
It actually looks under the frit. If you look at the windshield from the front of the truck, there should be a square cutout on the mirror shroud on the bottom right. That's where the camera would be

Yep, i checked and see the spot that the camera goes into. So all you added was the mirror with the camera (Part Number 68312206AA), and enabled the Smartbeam? Is the required wiring harness in the headliner or is it the same harness to the existing mirror?

hulk181

Reaction score
Yes. You use the same connection as the old mirror and enable using AlfaOBD.

Jcalton

Reaction score
How do you like the smartbeam. I've seen people say it doesnt work well for them but they all seem to mainly live in city.

I'm just a country boy, I rarely go into town (not even city, just town). So I figure it will work pretty well for me. Especially since if I do go into the city it's nothing but backroads for me to get anywhere.

Which gives me plenty of time to play with the electronics in the truck. I'm thinking of sniffing out the canbus and see if theres anything interesting there for me

papester

Reaction score
Yes, thanks. I just checked the wiring diagram for the mirror and see that it's basically a Bus connection and power supplied on the connector. I ordered the new mirror so will see how it goes with that and the rain sensor I have on order also.

hulk181

Reaction score
How do you like the smartbeam. I've seen people say it doesnt work well for them but they all seem to mainly live in city.

I'm just a country boy, I rarely go into town (not even city, just town). So I figure it will work pretty well for me. Especially since if I do go into the city it's nothing but backroads for me to get anywhere.

Which gives me plenty of time to play with the electronics in the truck. I'm thinking of sniffing out the canbus and see if theres anything interesting there for me

The smart beam works as it should. The only issue is when road signs reflect my led headlights enough to turn off the high beams.

sconzy23

Reaction score
Hate to ask this, but what is smart beam? Is that for auto brights? Googled it but couldn’t find an answer.

JamesS

Reaction score
Initially when I put mine in and used the five AlfaOBD commands that are posted online to activate it my tailgate would lock up and couldn't open it. I went through line by line and found out what was causing it to happen. It was the third AlfaOBD line LIN & Misc: Smart Beam Present (AHBM). Once I changed it back to NO the tailgate worked again and the smart beam worked. View attachment 45764 I
I don't think that is the right part. Here is my 2019 part. Is this for a 2019/2020?

Attachments

• IMG_6329.jpg
    IMG_6329.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 195

Jcalton

Reaction score
I don't think that is the right part. Here is my 2019 part. Is this for a 2019/2020?
Does yours have lane sense, adaptive cruise & all that? If so, you have different hardware than the trucks that just have smart beam. Not sure if they use the hardware for lane sense for smartbeam or if they also use the same camera

JamesS

Reaction score
Does yours have lane sense, adaptive cruise & all that? If so, you have different hardware than the trucks that just have smart beam. Not sure if they use the hardware for lane sense for smartbeam or if they also use the same camera

My truck does have the lane sense,adaptive cruise. The one I pictured is the camera part behind the rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hulk181

Reaction score
If all you are looking to accomplish is to have smart beams/auto high beams this the right part. It is all I changed to have this work. This was done in a 2019.

Jcalton

Reaction score
My truck does have the lane sense,adaptive cruise. The one I pictured is the camera part behind the rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, with those options there is different hardware behind the mirror. Again, I'm not sure if those take the place of the smartbeam camera that hulk listed the PN for. But he is correct, that is the right PN. There are a few different ones depending on other features (assist & sos for one) but they all include the same smartbeam camera. If someone that has lane assist & smartbeam can chime in on if they have the camera from that PN that should settle it.

If not next time I'm at the dealership I'll look at one and see

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Got my new windshield installed today. I asked them to replace the sensor in my console with the other when they swap the windshield out. Their response was.. "Uh, ok? you didn't have to buy a new one, we just put your old one on the new windshield."

I said, "I understand, however this is a different part so I can enable a feature on higher trim levels"

More confused faces.

"Rain sensing wipers!" They said.. Oh you're a hacker?. Yeah sure, whatever. LOL..

Got home and
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present - YES
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM - YES

Turned those two on. Waiting for the BCM to update. Always slow to make a change but it should pop up tomorrow. Then I can give it a shot!

IMG_20200309_151002.jpg

Jcalton

Reaction score
I'd say it's a sure thing but nothing ever is. However, I'm confident itll work fine. I've actually gotten a lot of use out of mine since I put it in.

I guess one good thing about the non-nav systems is they update pretty much instantly so I didnt have to wait.

Of a more long term review:

When it's barely raining, turn it off completely. One rain drop in the right spot on an otherwise completely dry windshield and itll turn the wipers on for a pass or two. I just turn the switch off and turn it on/off whenever theres enough water to warrant it.

Same with light rain, it tends to wipe more than it needs to. It does take speed into account, when you are stopped it doesnt wipe as much. Its not as bad as when it's barely raining but can still be somewhat annoying.

When it's actually "raining" it does well. The harder the rain the faster they wipe, really nice for that intermittent rain where it's raining hard then let's up some, then hard again, etc. You dont have to constantly fiddle with the speed.

I find myself leaving it in auto on the lowest sensitivity most of the time and only take it out when it's that light drizzle.

Users who are viewing this thread