5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

Jcalton

Reaction score
you might need a different windshield
If you are talking to moparleo51 he posted a picture a few posts above of his windshield, if has a humidity sensor already so hes good.

But yeah. If the windshield doesnt have the clear spot in the frit for the humidity sensor, gonna need a new one. And probably a lot more work unless the wiring is there already.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Konrad

Reaction score
Ok, so had a chance to install the new sensor today.

Part number I bought was 68298334AA.

Enabled the following:
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM

Tested with a squirt bottle and....

I now have rain sensing wipers!

So to confirm, if you have auto climate control and not rain sense, the sensor located under mirror shroud is a humidity sensor only to tell the truck when to turn on defrost.

The part number above is the rain sensor and humidity sensor in one. No extra wiring necessary, plug and play.

Excellent info! Part ordered! How does it mount to the windshield? It's there some kind of bracket or mount or anything else that needs to be ordered? I won't have my truck until Thursday, but would like to get everything in hand when I get it back. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jcalton

Reaction score
Excellent info! Part ordered! How does it mount to the windshield? It's there some kind of bracket or mount or anything else that needs to be ordered? I won't have my truck until Thursday, but would like to get everything in hand when I get it back. Thanks!

There is a bracket that the humidity sensor is already clipped into. Two metal clips, one on each side then the humidity sensor comes off. Same bracket will be used with the new rain sensor.

Be sure to not mix them up, they look identical, other than the printed part number of course.

You may need to replace the gel pad. A gel pad is used between the sensor and the glass. I used a heat gun to gently heat up the area hoping it would make the sensor detach from the gel without issue. Not sure if that worked well or not, it was still quite hard to pry off from the gel.

You do not want any air bubbles, wrinkles, smudges or anything else on the gel or it can affect the sensors ability to work as intended.

The gel pad and mount might be one piece, not 100% sure. But if it does need to be replaced, the part number for the pad is 68488349AA.

I did not replace that part on mine. So far it appears to be working well. It rained yesterday, wipers turned on when it was raining and stopped when the rain did.

Jcalton

Reaction score
@Jcalton

Perfect. Thank you, sir!

No problem. I had the easy part. Thanks to -RotorDemon- for the part numbers, and everyone else for the legwork. All I had to do was fork over the money for the new sensor to see if it would work, haha.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So how does the wiper function compared to the timer mode? Happy you did it ?

Konrad

Reaction score
I believe you can turn it off in settings and go back to timer mode at any time, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jcalton

Reaction score
Jury is still out. Unless its pouring out I'm very much a turn on for one wipe when I need it kind of person. The rain I had yesterday was too intermittent for me to mess with the different sensitivities.

I could see liking it in 1 or 2. But it did work well. When I was testing with a squirt bottle if I hit it with a short burst it would only wipe once or twice, a steady stream it would speed up and wipe until i stopped.

Once I get my hands on a smartbeam mirror I'll be set. 90% of my driving is back country roads where high beams are on unless I'm passing a car which can be miles between.

Only problem is alfaobd can be addictive. I'm finding myself wondering what else I can add and activate lol.

But overall I'm happy I did it. $50 for anything on these trucks is chump change, it works good so far and if I decide I dont like it I can turn it off in the settings and go back to the intermittent wipers.

Jcalton

Reaction score
I believe you can turn it off in settings and go back to timer mode at any time, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Didnt see this as I was typing my reply. Yes. You can. If I decide I dont like the rain sense I can turn it off. And I'd just be out the $50ish bucks for the sensor. But I kept the old one so I guess you could say I have a spare humidity sensor lol

papester

Reaction score
Jury is still out. Unless its pouring out I'm very much a turn on for one wipe when I need it kind of person. The rain I had yesterday was too intermittent for me to mess with the different sensitivities.

I could see liking it in 1 or 2. But it did work well. When I was testing with a squirt bottle if I hit it with a short burst it would only wipe once or twice, a steady stream it would speed up and wipe until i stopped.

Once I get my hands on a smartbeam mirror I'll be set. 90% of my driving is back country roads where high beams are on unless I'm passing a car which can be miles between.

Only problem is alfaobd can be addictive. I'm finding myself wondering what else I can add and activate lol.

But overall I'm happy I did it. $50 for anything on these trucks is chump change, it works good so far and if I decide I dont like it I can turn it off in the settings and go back to the intermittent wipers.

Do you think the wiring is there for the "smartbeam" mirror for the auto highbeams?

Jcalton

Reaction score
Do you think the wiring is there for the "smartbeam" mirror for the auto highbeams?
I believe so, yes. It communicates on the can bus and I believe it is through the same wire the rain sensor communicates through. On 4th gens if wiring was available for one it was available for both and the smartbeam mirrors are listed as compatible with both 4th and 5th gens.

I dont know all the ins and outs of the can bus systems but I do know it is an internal network for the truck. Gone are the days where each component needed it's own wire to function. Being a network, packets of data from multiple sensors can be sent with the same wire.

Jcalton

Reaction score
I believe so, yes. It communicates on the can bus and I believe it is through the same wire the rain sensor communicates through. On 4th gens if wiring was available for one it was available for both and the smartbeam mirrors are listed as compatible with both 4th and 5th gens.

I dont know all the ins and outs of the can bus systems but I do know it is an internal network for the truck. Gone are the days where each component needed it's own wire to function. Being a network, packets of data from multiple sensors can be sent with the same wire.

Let me correct that and say if truck already had a humidity sensor, yes I believe it does. If not, I doubt it. We may get lucky and it be like the 4th gens where the harness runs right under the front of the head liner and a harness can be made/bought to tap in there to get the wiring needed for smartbeam and rain sensor if the truck doesnt have the wiring present at the mirror

moparleo51

Reaction score
i`m giong to do this soon, but i might wait and get ahold of the smartbeam mirror as well then do it all at once. where can i find the smart beam mirror in question?

moparleo51

Reaction score
can anyone with the smartbeam rearview mirror take a picture of the front and back so i can use for refenence. or if you can even see a part number to confirm the one im looking at? thanks

moparleo51

Reaction score
so i found one i think that will work. its a salvage one for $131.00

moparleo51

Reaction score
Local salvage yard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread