5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
Yes, thanks. I just checked the wiring diagram for the mirror and see that it's basically a Bus connection and power supplied on the connector. I ordered the new mirror so will see how it goes with that and the rain sensor I have on order also.

You have a wiring diagram?! I have been asking for one from dealer and ram bodybuilder with no response.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a wiring diagram?! I have been asking for one from dealer and ram bodybuilder with no response.
I have this.. not sure if it helps or not.

this is all I have.

Attachments

• MIRROR---INTERIOR.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 103

RTRAMNV

Reaction score
Ok, so had a chance to install the new sensor today.

Part number I bought was 68298334AA.

Enabled the following:
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM

Tested with a squirt bottle and....

I now have rain sensing wipers!

So to confirm, if you have auto climate control and not rain sense, the sensor located under mirror shroud is a humidity sensor only to tell the truck when to turn on defrost.

The part number above is the rain sensor and humidity sensor in one. No extra wiring necessary, plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
How did you "Enabled the following:?" OBD? I have a rain sensor in my windshield but it doesn't show in uconnect. Besides the wipers themselves is there more hardware required? Running my vin for equipment does not show this truck as having rain sensor wipers although I do have the correct windshield with sensor.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am going to assume that to make anything work, something will need to be programmed by the dealer so the vehicle computer recognizes what's been done. You just can't throw parts into a car and expect them to work.

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rain sensor, different multi function switch/assym, then coding/programming for the truck to know it’s there/enable

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did this a couple of weeks ago. If your truck is equipped with the “auto” function on your climate controls, you just need to replace the sensor with the correct one (part number is listed in this thread and worked on my 2020 Bighorn). Once you do that, you need to enable the two settings in the BCM, I did so with alfaoOBD, and then the option for rain sensing wipers shows up in the settings on the uconnect. I have used it multiple times in varying conditions and it seems to function as intended.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I just did this a couple of weeks ago. If your truck is equipped with the “auto” function on your climate controls, you just need to replace the sensor with the correct one (part number is listed in this thread and worked on my 2020 Bighorn). Once you do that, you need to enable the two settings in the BCM, I did so with alfaoOBD, and then the option for rain sensing wipers shows up in the settings on the uconnect. I have used it multiple times in varying conditions and it seems to function as intended.
How difficult was it to remove the old sensor and install the new one? I ask because I would like to add this feature to my truck but was not sure if I should order the gel pad at the same time just in case.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Personally, I HATE the rain sensing wipers and prefer to turn them on manually when I need them. Not sure why anyone would go to any expense to add them after the fact.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How difficult was it to remove the old sensor and install the new one? I ask because I would like to add this feature to my truck but was not sure if I should order the gel pad at the same time just in case.

I used a plastic trim tool and just applied gentle, steady, pressure from the lower end of the sensor and it popped right off from the pad which stayed on the windshield. My truck is pretty new so I’m not sure if age may affect the gel pad or how hard it adheres to the sensor. Looking at it from the outside, it doesn’t appear any different than before so I’m guessing there’s no air pockets.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Personally, I HATE the rain sensing wipers and prefer to turn them on manually when I need them. Not sure why anyone would go to any expense to add them after the fact.
To be honest, I've never had that feature on a vehicle before and sense I plan on adding bed lights and getting the OBD tools and Alpha etc I might as well try it out.
If it turns out I dont like it I will just turn it off in the U connect.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I used a plastic trim tool and just applied gentle, steady, pressure from the lower end of the sensor and it popped right off from the pad which stayed on the windshield. My truck is pretty new so I’m not sure if age may affect the gel pad or how hard it adheres to the sensor. Looking at it from the outside, it doesn’t appear any different than before so I’m guessing there’s no air pockets.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try as mine is fairly new to me so I hope to have the same success you did.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Well good news, I ordered the Mopar 68298334AA sensor and it came in today and just got done installing it then using Alpha OBD to turn on the rain sensing wiper feature and right after it started to sprinkle, talk about good timing. With the light sprinkle and on the lowest sensitivity it would randomly wipe on its own, so it looks like I'm good to go.
As far as the time it took to update, I may of waited a minute before turning the truck on and the feature was already on the Uconnect screen. (y)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's good to see that we have options for enabling some of the features these trucks have, besides paying a dealership huge sums of $$ to enable them. My Laramie came with rain sensing wipers and auto dimming headlights. Love the wipers, not as fond of the headlights.

How do you like the smartbeam. I've seen people say it doesnt work well for them but they all seem to mainly live in city.

I'm just a country boy, I rarely go into town (not even city, just town). So I figure it will work pretty well for me. Especially since if I do go into the city it's nothing but backroads for me to get anywhere.

Which gives me plenty of time to play with the electronics in the truck. I'm thinking of sniffing out the canbus and see if theres anything interesting there for me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have mixed feelings about the auto dim headlights. They work great if there are no road signs or houses with bright lights near the road. And I was really excited to get a truck that has the option. After using them all of last winter, I've identified a few problems with them on my normal 25 minute work commute, which is 90% highway. There are quite a few road signs which reflect enough to dim the headlights. There are also two separate houses with bright exterior lights, which also cause the headlights to dim. I've also found that if a car is approaching around a corner from an elevated position, my lights dim very late. The approaching cars will often flash their lights at me before the lights dim. And lastly, having the option in one vehicle, and not in the other means that if I get too used to the auto dimming feature, I might sometimes forget to dim the lights in my car without that feature.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well good news, I ordered the Mopar 68298334AA sensor and it came in today and just got done installing it then using Alpha OBD to turn on the rain sensing wiper feature and right after it started to sprinkle, talk about good timing. With the light sprinkle and on the lowest sensitivity it would randomly wipe on its own, so it looks like I'm good to go.
As far as the time it took to update, I may of waited a minute before turning the truck on and the feature was already on the Uconnect screen. (y)
When you ordered the part, did you also order the gel pack?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^. What is this “ gel “ you gents are referring to ?
The rain sensor has a gel pack that attaches to the windshield then sensor attaches to that.

Users who are viewing this thread