5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with power running boards

barrak

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but this one seemed to have the most activity. I just bought a used 2020 and I have problems with the running boards. It happens mostly when it's cold. I think it probably just needs some lubrication. What are the various lubrication points? I have white lithium grease in a tube, will that work? Or, should I get a spray. Should I power wash the locations first to try to blast out crud? Not sure about this as it may force water into hinges that may lead to corrosion. Thanks!

Check out this thread:

For a more thorough job with sticking boards, the following video might be helpful. He used, in sequence, a wire brush, rust penetrant, WD-40, Fluid-Film. Seems to know what he's doing.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Check out this thread:

For a more thorough job with sticking boards, the following video might be helpful. He used, in sequence, a wire brush, rust penetrant, WD-40, Fluid-Film. Seems to know what he's doing.

Thank you so much. Fun to see him use Mopar branded spray. Currently on hand i have some aerosol brake and parts cleaner and I have a tube of white lithium grease. I'm thinking about using the brake cleaner to blast out and gunk and then slather up all hinge points with the grease.

If you have the air suspension you can raise it all the way up and look under the rear 1/3 of the running board and you'll see the motor and linkages there. Check them for binding ( do not crush yourself ) and lube them too. Thats where the real magic happens, not the hinges you can see.

This is great tip. I'll be sure to check this area as well.

texasrider8516

Reaction score
Bought a new 3500 Laramie and the drivers side running board is having difficulties immediately after delivery. It sometimes doesn’t deploy and often when it retracts it stops and redeploys. The display reports a possible obstruction but that’s not an issue. Dealer had it for a week and they couldn’t get it to repeat enough to diagnose even though it doesn’t work for me more than it works properly, go figure. dealer said they tested everything and the passenger side works flawlessly. I wanted them to preplace the motor and hinges but they said Dodge told them to send it back to me if they couldn’t reproduce issue. Dealer said they are liable for cost of parts taken off if Dodge tests and confirms they were good but I’m getting really tired of it not working. It will be going back into shop soon but if they again say they can’t reproduce I’ll go crazy. I’ve sent them numerous videos of it not working. i think it’s a failed motor. Anyone else have this issue?
I finally solved this issue, like many have stated start with cleaning and lubrication. If that doesn't work follow these steps.
1. Deploy your steps either through the screen or the rear door.
2. Grab a 10 Mil wrench ( socket will not work)
3. With the step fully or semi deployed
4. Crawl under the truck ( helps if you have air suspension raised all the way up)
5. Just under the opening to the front door you will see the running board motor, just to the left is the front hinge.
6. On top of the front hinge is a bolt, while pushing the steps all the way out with one hand tighten the bolt.
7. Mine was stripped a little (probably the same with yours so keep fighting until your running boards have zero play to move back and forth.
8. Move out the way!!
9. Close the rear door, listen for the motor to engage if it's quiet and steps moves in. (Great means the motor is working fine.)
10. If you still have Play in your steps. With the doors closed. Crawl back under the truck and while press the running board in its closed position tighten the bolt until there is zero Play in the step.
11. More out the way!!
12. Open either door, the steps should now operate as normal.

Attachments

• 20240111_062437.jpg
    20240111_062437.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240111_062345.jpg
    20240111_062345.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 31

texasrider8516

Reaction score
I finally solved this issue, like many have stated start with cleaning and lubrication. If that doesn't work follow these steps.
1. Deploy your steps either through the screen or the rear door.
2. Grab a 10 Mil wrench ( socket will not work)
3. With the step fully or semi deployed
4. Crawl under the truck ( helps if you have air suspension raised all the way up)
5. Just under the opening to the front door you will see the running board motor, just to the left is the front with hinge on top of the front hinge is a bolt.
6. While pushing the steps all the way out with one hand tighten the bolt.
7. Mine was stripped a little (probably the same with yours so keep fighting until your running boards have zero play to move back and forth.
8. Move out the way!!
9. Close the rear door, listen for the motor to engage if it's quiet and steps moves in. (Great means the motor is working fine.)
10. If you still have Play in your steps. With the doors closed. Crawl back under the truck and while press the running board in its closed position tighten the bolt until there is zero Play in the step.
11. More out the way!!
12. Open either door, the steps should now operate as normal

Attachments

• 20240111_062437.jpg
    20240111_062437.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240111_062350.jpg
    20240111_062350.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
An update for mine that were getting stuck and erring- I generously applied white lithium grease to just the driver side (white grease, not spray) and no sticking or errors since. I did go ahead and buy spray and will try that on passenger side to see what i like best. I think spray may work best at it can really get in there but we'll see.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Ram Cares posted a TSB in another thread
Does anyone know if @RamCares is aware of another TSB for this issue that covers a 2019 Ram 1500? This TSB is for a 2020-2021. I have a 2019 Limited with Power Steps, about 54k miles on the vehicle (Just out of warranty), and for the past month my steps attempt to deploy and then retract back and I get a warning on the dash that says "Power Side Step(s) Obstructed. Check Surroundings". Same exact issue as the TSB for the 2020-2021, so I don't know why my 2019 would be discriminated against here. Sometimes they work, most times they don't. Drivers side only. Very frustrating. But If there's a TSB I can give my dealership that would cover the cost out of warranty, that would obviously be great. TIA.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if @RamCares is aware of another TSB for this issue that covers a 2019 Ram 1500? This TSB is for a 2020-2021. I have a 2019 Limited with Power Steps, about 54k miles on the vehicle (Just out of warranty), and for the past month my steps attempt to deploy and then retract back and I get a warning on the dash that says "Power Side Step(s) Obstructed. Check Surroundings". Same exact issue as the TSB for the 2020-2021, so I don't know why my 2019 would be discriminated against here. Sometimes they work, most times they don't. Drivers side only. Very frustrating. But If there's a TSB I can give my dealership that would cover the cost out of warranty, that would obviously be great. TIA.
TSB are not free to preform so it doesn't matter.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
My 2019 did exact same thing. Dealer told me there‘s a ridge up under the body that fills with dirt that has to be blasted out (lived in NM & EVERYTHING there fills with dirt)… this was bs and typical. After moving to TX, dealer here said motor was shorting. I have 7 yr extended so it was free replacement and has worked great since.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi there,

Our team would like to see what we can do to help. Please private message us with the details of your concerns, so we can best assist you.

Gia
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread