5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with power running boards

Skater

Reaction score
Hi everyone, seems to be a issue, 2020 LTD with 1800 miles and wife’s running board is intermittently not deploying first start of the day, hopefully FCA is narrowing down the problem. Looks like I’ll need to take to dealer to start a case.
Yeah, seems to be an issue for some. Be patient. It took my dealer two weeks to get the parts in stock to install.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Welp, nothing has been done about this from factory end. I just recently bought 2021 Laramie 1500 and my passenger board is doing EXACT thing. Haven’t had time to leave it at dealership. I stopped by to show them, but, of course it wouldn’t do it. I will video in meantime for proof. And, drop it by dealership when have time. Really seems like a solution should’ve been found by now, @RamCares. Thank you for being here at our disposal! I will update as soon as I get fixed!

Rynel08

Reaction score
Welp, nothing has been done about this from factory end. I just recently bought 2021 Laramie 1500 and my passenger board is doing EXACT thing. Haven’t had time to leave it at dealership. I stopped by to show them, but, of course it wouldn’t do it. I will video in meantime for proof. And, drop it by dealership when have time. Really seems like a solution should’ve been found by now, @RamCares. Thank you for being here at our disposal! I will update as soon as I get fixed!
I'm going on over a month since the dealership ordered the wrong part, have an appointment for Tuesday so hopefully that takes care of it. They are still replacing the entire unit so I would push for that since the dealership really had no idea what was wrong with it.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I'm going on over a month since the dealership ordered the wrong part, have an appointment for Tuesday so hopefully that takes care of it. They are still replacing the entire unit so I would push for that since the dealership really had no idea what was wrong with it.
Roger that! My fingers are crossed they handle my case efficiently.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone, seems to be a issue, 2020 LTD with 1800 miles and wife’s running board is intermittently not deploying first start of the day, hopefully FCA is narrowing down the problem. Looks like I’ll need to take to dealer to start a case.

Hello everyone --

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns as well. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need additional support while working with your Ram dealers to get this properly addressed. Our @RamCares would be happy to look into it! Otherwise, please follow up with an update once you visit your dealers like @Rtasma80 is! We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

djgiron

Reaction score
Hhm, same issue here passenger side. Took it to 3 different dealers and 1 said they couldn’t replicate it, but claimed to replace it, still didn’t work the next day, the other 2 kept it for several days and claimed they couldn’t replicate the issue. I can’t be without my vehicle for multiple days at a time continually only to not have it fixed. I guess I need to escalate this. What is frustrating is I bought a used Rx8 in 2011 for $12k, and every time I took it in for anything, I was offered a loaner vehicle from Mazda, I bought a $72k truck from Ram and they keep my truck for a week (with 1500 miles on it) and I just get to be out my vehicle.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Hhm, same issue here passenger side. Took it to 3 different dealers and 1 said they couldn’t replicate it, but claimed to replace it, still didn’t work the next day, the other 2 kept it for several days and claimed they couldn’t replicate the issue. I can’t be without my vehicle for multiple days at a time continually only to not have it fixed. I guess I need to escalate this. What is frustrating is I bought a used Rx8 in 2011 for $12k, and every time I took it in for anything, I was offered a loaner vehicle from Mazda, I bought a $72k truck from Ram and they keep my truck for a week (with 1500 miles on it) and I just get to be out my vehicle.
Crazy!! Mine is getting worse, I believe. I still haven’t had time to take and leave with dealership. In meantime, I try to video record as much as possible. Most of the time I forget, but then when I do remember, it doesn’t do it. I’ve got 2 videos so far. 9 out of 10 times, the first door open in over 24 hours will not deploy. I went to pick my Dad up a few days ago from hospital. He REALLY needed the step. The nurse that pushed him wheelchair opened the door and of course it didn’t deploy. It was embarrassing, to me. Brand new truck and stuff not working. I had to get out and open and close 3 times before it finally came out!
I recommend you start taking video as much as possible.

djgiron

Reaction score
Crazy!! Mine is getting worse, I believe. I still haven’t had time to take and leave with dealership. In meantime, I try to video record as much as possible. Most of the time I forget, but then when I do remember, it doesn’t do it. I’ve got 2 videos so far. 9 out of 10 times, the first door open in over 24 hours will not deploy. I went to pick my Dad up a few days ago from hospital. He REALLY needed the step. The nurse that pushed him wheelchair opened the door and of course it didn’t deploy. It was embarrassing, to me. Brand new truck and stuff not working. I had to get out and open and close 3 times before it finally came out!
I recommend you start taking video as much as possible.

I do when I remember, I have 3 or 4 so far, since it is the passenger side I am not usually over there to catch it.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I do when I remember, I have 3 or 4 so far, since it is the passenger side I am not usually over there to catch it.
For the first week, I would get so angry when I would forget to do, haha! I would go to get something out of truck, open door, and it would deploy an inch and then retract. I SWEAR I’m sure I heard it laughing at me!! Haha. And, then, like I said, I would FINALLY remember and then the SOB would deploy! Once again, I would hear a laughing. Not sure if it was the power step or my 7 yr old from hearing me cuss aloud!

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well add me to the list. In the past 2weeks mines my driver side has failed to deploy 3 times and 5 times it states their is some type of obstruction when I see nothing. I’ve taken a look under there near the motor assy and see nothing. Truck has 3700 miles. WTF. Took to dealer and they stated to power wash as there may be a rock or something binding. I disagree. I meticulously clean the area around the engine each time I clean my truck. I even clean inside my wheel well area. Funny soon as I got home closed the door it deployed then didn’t go back up so now 6 times. Not a good feeling.

Sengdemund

Reaction score
Having passenger side issues. No problems deploying, but getting the “obstruction” warning in DIC and fail to retract. Aug ‘20 build truck. 3600 miles

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting
Mine was built in Aug 2020 as well. I think RAM got a bad batch as I noticed most with this issue are built around the same time.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram Care -What’s your take on my observation. This can’t be a coincidence that all these trucks were built around the same time. Isn’t this when the factories open back up to production. Bottom line what is FCA going to do to fix the issue.

Last edited:

Shawn_m

Reaction score
Same issue for me. Passenger side, 2021 1500 laramie. Built Aug 2020. Sometimes it comes out half way then goes back in. Sometimes it doesn't move at all. Today it worked fine getting in then when my kid got out it worked but instead of retracting when he shut the door it only went in half way. So driving around town with the passenger side step halfway out.

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
Add me to the list. Passenger side started acting up and not deploying at times. Going to try and clean/lube it but I feel like that won’t solve the problem.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2019 limited. Right now, the driver's side is stuck down and won't retract. Ever since it got cold here in MN, it has been working intermittently. I have a heated garage, so I know it's not frozen after sitting inside overnight. I do use white lithium grease on it. Since I'm out of basic warranty, I'm guessing nothing will be covered. I do have an extended warranty, but they say this a "body part" and won't cover it.

usedup

Reaction score
Does it do the same thing if you try the back door when the front door fails to work?

Users who are viewing this thread