5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

WReckeR

Reaction score
Not wiggle room, but room the size of the Grand Canyon!
SG,

It appears that you already have a Night Edition. That doesn't already come with black exhaust tips? Maybe the 5" or the Ceramic is the difference for what you modded?

I go to pick up my Laramie Saturday. I saw the soft barrier OEM cargo tray, now I understand why you went with the Du-Ha.

Also, after previous discussions, I agree about the Dash Camera...I guess I should be talking with you about this in the "What did you do to your Ram today?" forum. Anyway, I'm going to need advice on how to wire up that dash camera. I'll take a look at the Blackvue also. Maybe you can respond in the other forum. Sorry to hijack here.

jai91

Reaction score
On the 21st I picked up my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn from Craig at Koons, spec'd out as you can see in my signature. Ordered 10/9/2020, took delivery 01/21/2021.

MSRP: 74,590
Price(Group Buy + Tread Lightly): 64,104
Rebates: 3,500 (1,500 private offer, 1,500 consumer cash, 500 military)
Price before TTL: 60,604 (18.7% off MSRP)
TTL(state fee(NH) + Koons 899): 2836 (they over estimated my state fees, because NH doesn't allow out of state dealer to register or title vehicles so I expect to get some of this back)
Price After TTL: 63,440 (14.9% off MSRP)

I am very happy with this deal, I know some of you have ways you can get more from "dealer x" vs "dealer y", but for zero haggling I am happy. I view my time as more valuable than money, and I hate having my time wasted, which has generally been my experience surrounding automobiles. I am very happy with Craig and the professionalism and timely response he provided during the buying process. He held up his end of the bargain at every step, and did provide a pain free process. I would recommend buying from him, and would buy from him again.

While I told Craig I was very happy with the service he provided, I was going to be honest about what I dealt with in the financing department. I went through all the paperwork with Craig and did a once over of the truck before he handed me off to the "back of the house" to close out the deal. I don't know if the person(finance) I was dealing with was so new, or the finance department is a little dysfunctional, but it took about 2+ hours to make it out of there, and I even had an approved check from Navy Federal. They tried to get me to buy the warranty and service contracts, I declined 3 times while they played the "how about this price." By the 3rd time, even if they had given me 7 years/100k for 100 bucks, I would've declined off principle. They digitized the whole process, and I think it honestly made things take longer. When I was presented with the "digital" buyer sheet, the numbers were wrong. My final pay line was off by 2 grand. I had to point out, what was wrong (down payment). What bothered me more was the buyers sheet I signed with Craig, they kept in a folder and didn't reference it until I insisted they did(which made it seem shady, but I know that wasn't their intent). At which point they realized their mistake. This was after, what I assumed was the finance manager came in and looked at the numbers and fixed it. There were a few other mistakes like NY taxes calculated not NH, since I am military (legal resident of NH but live in NY). The finance department also tried to tell me what the law was around this, to which I cited both NH and Federal law and they fixed it. Bottom line, double check everything and if something is messed up, just ask for the manager. I don't think I have ever had a positive interaction with a finance department.

I was honest with Craig about the finance department, and spoke to his boss about it too. As far as I am concerned Craig did right by me, and I plan to buy from him in the future. If I were to walk into the finance department again, I would probably tell them they have 25 minutes to get through everything or they are gonna knock off money for each minute past 25.

Just trying to provide you all an accurate picture of what the process was like. I love the truck, it is like driving a spaceship.

WReckeR

Reaction score
On the 21st I picked up my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn from Craig at Koons, spec'd out as you can see in my signature. Ordered 10/9/2020, took delivery 01/21/2021.

MSRP: 74,590
Price(Group Buy + Tread Lightly): 64,104
Rebates: 3,500 (1,500 private offer, 1,500 consumer cash, 500 military)
Price before TTL: 60,604 (18.7% off MSRP)
TTL(state fee(NH) + Koons 899): 2836 (they over estimated my state fees, because NH doesn't allow out of state dealer to register or title vehicles so I expect to get some of this back)
Price After TTL: 63,440 (14.9% off MSRP)

I am very happy with this deal, I know some of you have ways you can get more from "dealer x" vs "dealer y", but for zero haggling I am happy. I view my time as more valuable than money, and I hate having my time wasted, which has generally been my experience surrounding automobiles. I am very happy with Craig and the professionalism and timely response he provided during the buying process. He held up his end of the bargain at every step, and did provide a pain free process. I would recommend buying from him, and would buy from him again.

While I told Craig I was very happy with the service he provided, I was going to be honest about what I dealt with in the financing department. I went through all the paperwork with Craig and did a once over of the truck before he handed me off to the "back of the house" to close out the deal. I don't know if the person(finance) I was dealing with was so new, or the finance department is a little dysfunctional, but it took about 2+ hours to make it out of there, and I even had an approved check from Navy Federal. They tried to get me to buy the warranty and service contracts, I declined 3 times while they played the "how about this price." By the 3rd time, even if they had given me 7 years/100k for 100 bucks, I would've declined off principle. They digitized the whole process, and I think it honestly made things take longer. When I was presented with the "digital" buyer sheet, the numbers were wrong. My final pay line was off by 2 grand. I had to point out, what was wrong (down payment). What bothered me more was the buyers sheet I signed with Craig, they kept in a folder and didn't reference it until I insisted they did(which made it seem shady, but I know that wasn't their intent). At which point they realized their mistake. This was after, what I assumed was the finance manager came in and looked at the numbers and fixed it. There were a few other mistakes like NY taxes calculated not NH, since I am military (legal resident of NH but live in NY). The finance department also tried to tell me what the law was around this, to which I cited both NH and Federal law and they fixed it. Bottom line, double check everything and if something is messed up, just ask for the manager. I don't think I have ever had a positive interaction with a finance department.

I was honest with Craig about the finance department, and spoke to his boss about it too. As far as I am concerned Craig did right by me, and I plan to buy from him in the future. If I were to walk into the finance department again, I would probably tell them they have 25 minutes to get through everything or they are gonna knock off money for each minute past 25.

Just trying to provide you all an accurate picture of what the process was like. I love the truck, it is like driving a spaceship.
I was leery of the air suspension, so I chose a Laramie instead. Fewer parts to fail, don't need to worry about winter functionality, and saved money. Besides the ability to lift up or lower the vehicle to ease trailer attachment, or improve ground clearance for off-roading, I wonder how "spaceship like" the air suspension contributes to the ride. In other words, will my Laramie feel less like a spaceship.

Your discounts are very good. I would say only 20%+ is "excellent". You're almost there, so congrats. Did you consider 0%? I had 15.3% off, but the 0% saved me additional thousands. I'm assuming with Navy Fed that you got 1.9-2.2%? They're saving lots of people good money!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
SG,

It appears that you already have a Night Edition. That doesn't already come with black exhaust tips? Maybe the 5" or the Ceramic is the difference for what you modded?

I go to pick up my Laramie Saturday. I saw the soft barrier OEM cargo tray, now I understand why you went with the Du-Ha.

Also, after previous discussions, I agree about the Dash Camera...I guess I should be talking with you about this in the "What did you do to your Ram today?" forum. Anyway, I'm going to need advice on how to wire up that dash camera. I'll take a look at the Blackvue also. Maybe you can respond in the other forum. Sorry to hijack here.
WR, yes. It did come with the 4" black chrome tips. I sold them to a member on this forum and replaced them with 5" Ceramic tips from B2. The Du-Ha is very nice and well worth the cost. Feel free to PM me and share your cell and I'll give you a ring about the camera. Happy to help you out my friend!

jai91

Reaction score
I was leery of the air suspension, so I chose a Laramie instead. Fewer parts to fail, don't need to worry about winter functionality, and saved money. Besides the ability to lift up or lower the vehicle to ease trailer attachment, or improve ground clearance for off-roading, I wonder how "spaceship like" the air suspension contributes to the ride. In other words, will my Laramie feel less like a spaceship.

Your discounts are very good. I would say only 20%+ is "excellent". You're almost there, so congrats. Did you consider 0%? I had 15.3% off, but the 0% saved me additional thousands. I'm assuming with Navy Fed that you got 1.9-2.2%? They're saving lots of people good money!
It's actually the lighting and technology in the cabin that makes it feel like a spaceship. The roads are beat-up on Long Island and the air suspension makes the drive to work much smoother, worth it to me haha.

I got 1.52% via Navy Federal. The dealer offered to "try" to beat it, to which I told them 0% or no deal and they dropped it. They said the only way I could get 0% was by dropping my rebates. I joined PenFed a few months ago, but their customer service for me has been horrible, so I am fine with giving NavyFed a few more dollars to have a percentage rate that is barely higher.

WReckeR

Reaction score
It's actually the lighting and technology in the cabin that makes it feel like a spaceship. The roads are beat-up on Long Island and the air suspension makes the drive to work much smoother, worth it to me haha.

I got 1.52% via Navy Federal. The dealer offered to "try" to beat it, to which I told them 0% or no deal and they dropped it. They said the only way I could get 0% was by dropping my rebates. I joined PenFed a few months ago, but their customer service for me has been horrible, so I am fine with giving NavyFed a few more dollars to have a percentage rate that is barely higher.
With $0 down, you'd pay about $2500 in interest at that rate, I estimate. So if they were going to drop that much or more of your discount, then yeah, it'd be a wash. There have been a few here who have gotten 18% along with 0%, but under rare conditions. At any rate, I'm not in NavyFed. I don't think I could get below 3% financing.

slatersan

Reaction score
Finally found a good deal on a new Longhorn that had everything I wanted besides the bigger tank like i had on the Limited and tow package. It has the trailer brake controller and the trailer camera wiring kit. I didn't really need a new truck but for a 2021 4WD vs my 2019 2WD justified upgrading since having 4WD for boat launch or camping is good insurance and getting a good deal on the new truck and decent deal on the old one cost about $14500 with a difference of 10,200 MSRP

MSRP - $71465
Discount - $11,300.46
Rebates -$4000
Bonus cash - $ 1500
Total - $54664.54

Total discount - $16800.46 (about 23.5%)

I had to finance through them and they also has a $999.95 dealer fee but overall was the best deal I could find anywhere locally in Florida. Told them what I was willing to pay from MSRP and didn't care about trade values, dealer discounts, rebates or anything in between the MSRP and my final OTD price and after waiting til the main Finance person was able to properly apply the bonus cash today, I was within $900 of where I wanted to be. Initial offer was not good but took salesman one talk to manager to get me where i wanted to be. Trade in was $39,875 for my 19 Limited KBB trade was a bit higher but (reconditioning fees) lowered the trade but the discounts made it all balance out in the end. Dealer was in Wesley Chapel.
Congrats on a screamin deal. Even counting the $1000 dealer fee ( it counts...you paid the dealer), thats 22.2% off.

jai91

Reaction score
With $0 down, you'd pay about $2500 in interest at that rate, I estimate. So if they were going to drop that much or more of your discount, then yeah, it'd be a wash. There have been a few here who have gotten 18% along with 0%, but under rare conditions. At any rate, I'm not in NavyFed. I don't think I could get below 3% financing.
Yes, I think if I was financing the entire price of the truck 0% would be much more enticing. I think there is always some way dealers get their money back. They aren't known as "stealer-ships" because they let you walk out paying the bare minimum. All that matters is whether you think you got a good deal or not.

This forum definitely helped me get a significantly better deal than I have ever received before. So my wallet thanks you all, but I am sure I will end up spending what I saved on mods...

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
61103FFC-6D3C-4E5C-8FEF-88530053B800.png
Dealer I am looking at currently has this listed at $42,754. MSRP $54,835. Website says $12,061 Dealer Discount. When I click details it’s provides no info as to where that comes from. I am assuming there are some manufactures discounts in there but it doesn’t say. I did reach out to them and will chat tomorrow.

I’ve been reading this page since when it was in the early 300 page mark, I’ve learned and forgotten so much. I have a max budget of 41k which I think would be like 25% off MSRP. Anybody gotten close to this lately? Can a bighorn with these exact options be had for that right now? Any ideas if feb incentives get better?
Thanks all.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
25% could be achievable but going to take some work plus all depending on what incentives you qualify for and how much the dealers are willing to budge or how far your willing to travel.

Runagun

Reaction score
25% could be achievable but going to take some work plus all depending on what incentives you qualify for and how much the dealers are willing to budge or how far your willing to travel.
oh yeah good luck on that. I thought my 23% off was unbelievable. If you can do 25 you got some skills.

flyfingers

Reaction score
If those 12K in discounts actually hold up then my vote goes towards sign the dotted line already. That's darn close to 22% off. Not sure how you are paying but at that discount there is no doubt they will require you to finance at between 7 and 10K thru them. Not a big deal as you can just pay it off right away if that's where you're at.

Runagun

Reaction score
It's not skill...it is how desperate a dealer needs to sell another vehicle!
I understand, There's two types of dealers. One looks to make money on selling a car. The other looks to make money on selling cars. Find the one that wants to sell cars.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
For those of you who have been following this thread for a long time, what do you consider a good discount from MSRP?

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP.
Good Discount 16% to 19%
Great Discount 20% to 24%
Amazing Discount 25% or more

I saw WReckeR post something similar awhile back.

Thoughts?

Ram is currently offering 0% until the end of the month.
After reviewing this thread, it seems most feel 14-15% has a bit more room to go.
16-18% is generally good.
19% or better is considered great.
But all of that is considering when the buyer is financing, and right now good credit score can get you 2-4%.

So...what is considered a good discount if you can get 0%?

bob225

Reaction score
There are so many variable that fall into place with everyone trying to compare to each other. What you qualify for may not apply to me. Financing or not? Regional discounts play a factor. Trades always muddy the waters for price comparisons. People always say they gave me x when its really only worth y and they use that delta in the pricing assumptions.

For me, cash deal worked out to 18% and I was satisfied. I didn't qualify for anything else (but i tried). I used this thread as a tool to help me make my decision but it comes down to individual situations to maximize their discounts but that percentage comes down to what you can get, not what others were able to achieve under their situation.

smcleod417

Reaction score
Wife and I got tired of sharing, so we just picked up another Ram. Found a left over 2020 Laramie spec'd exactly the way I would order (except it has useless Ram Telematics). MSRP $62,295, sale price $48,000 + tax and license fees. Essentially 23% off MSRP + tax and license fees. Truck also came with dealer adds, some of which I wanted (wheel locks, window tint, ceramic coating), which would cost me somewhere in the $700 range.

Of course the way the dealer does the paper work the dealer adds are shown as $1,995. Why do dealers do stupid stuff like this? They show the wheel locks as $245 on the deal, when they have them on the shelf in their parts department for $50. Or my favorite dealer add - useless nitrogen fill in tires at $115 (actual cost - $10 for the labor). Are there people that believe this stuff costs this much? Even though it was a good deal on basically the exact truck I wanted, I almost passed on the deal because I was annoyed by the absurdity in how the deal was written.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife and I got tired of sharing, so we just picked up another Ram. Found a left over 2020 Laramie spec'd exactly the way I would order (except it has useless Ram Telematics). MSRP $62,295, sale price $48,000 + tax and license fees. Essentially 23% off MSRP + tax and license fees. Truck also came with dealer adds, some of which I wanted (wheel locks, window tint, ceramic coating), which would cost me somewhere in the $700 range.

Of course the way the dealer does the paper work the dealer adds are shown as $1,995. Why do dealers do stupid stuff like this? They show the wheel locks as $245 on the deal, when they have them on the shelf in their parts department for $50. Or my favorite dealer add - useless nitrogen fill in tires at $115 (actual cost - $10 for the labor). Are there people that believe this stuff costs this much? Even though it was a good deal on basically the exact truck I wanted, I almost passed on the deal because I was annoyed by the absurdity in how the deal was written.
hahah I hear ya, but frankly if they marked wheel locks at $48k and tossed in the truck for free, I'd probably bite. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread