5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
just here to state:

pay cash, dont finance kids. if you cant afford it now, save your money up longer.

rockwall dodge lies about their internet prices.

that is all.
I only finance when the rate is 0% to use someone else's money versus my own. There is a time to finance and a time not to.

slatersan

Reaction score
My statement is also in the context that it could have been a $450 option versus a $1200 after the fact purchase if he was able to wait for the right truck versus buying one that didn't meet his immediate needs. I was trying to determine is this a "need" or a "want". If a "want", it doesn't make much sense to spend that money on a fuel tank when there are far better ways to spend $1200 on a new truck. If a "need", which the OP clearly stated it was and why, then it makes total sense now that we all understand the dynamics behind the decision. Does he need to justify anything to me? Absolutely not just like I don't have to justify to anyone why I buy what I buy. However, that shouldn't stop me , or anyone else, from asking a question and receiving clarification. Members on this forum have questioned items I purchased...like my $75 shift knob. I, for one, don't mind the questions and enjoy the interaction and/or debate it creates. However, with all that being said, thanks for attempting to school me on the topic that I already knew and understood ;)
Interesting revisionist spin. Thanks for confirming.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
just here to state:

pay cash, dont finance kids. if you cant afford it now, save your money up longer.

rockwall dodge lies about their internet prices.

that is all.

Cash is no longer king.
If you can get a better deal with cash then do it.
Financing nowadays will tend to get the better deal.
With that said, finance away to get that deal, then just pay it off with the cash right afterward.

WReckeR

Reaction score
Ram is currently offering 0% until the end of the month.
After reviewing this thread, it seems most feel 14-15% has a bit more room to go.
16-18% is generally good.
19% or better is considered great.
But all of that is considering when the buyer is financing, and right now good credit score can get you 2-4%.

So...what is considered a good discount if you can get 0%?

smanthrav

Reaction score
Ram is currently offering 0% until the end of the month.
After reviewing this thread, it seems most feel 14-15% has a bit more room to go.
16-18% is generally good.
19% or better is considered great.
But all of that is considering when the buyer is financing, and right now good credit score can get you 2-4%.

So...what is considered a good discount if you can get 0%?

Including the destination fee, my custom ordered Rebel came to 68k. Dealer gave me an offer for 62k with 0% APR. My alternative offer was 16% off MSRP with dealer financing (which I would have refinanced to a better interest rate asap). That would either have been more expensive or at least a pain in the ***. I took the 0% APR offer. Truck has been sitting in a lot outside my city for 10 days. Hoping I’ll have it any day now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Including the destination fee, my custom ordered Rebel came to 68k. Dealer gave me an offer for 62k with 0% APR. My alternative offer was 16% off MSRP with dealer financing (which I would have refinanced to a better interest rate asap). That would either have been more expensive or at least a pain in the ***. I took the 0% APR offer. Truck has been sitting in a lot outside my city for 10 days. Hoping I’ll have it any day now!

If the MSRP is 68k and the dealer offer is 62k that is only 8.82% off. The 16% offer is $57,120. That means you paid $4,880 more for the 0.0% financing. Whether this is a better deal or not depends on multiple factors. Use the below link to find out your best deal.

Rebate vs. lower interest: Which car incentive is right for you?

Last edited:

WReckeR

Reaction score
If the MSRP is 68k and the dealer offer is 62k that is only 8.82% off. The 16% offer is $57120. That means you paid $4880 more for the 0.0% financing.
Exactly. That's unrecoverable unless the best 3rd party finance rate was higher than 4%. It's more or less a wash. 0% should have some degree of benefit.

obrien

Reaction score
Exactly. That's unrecoverable unless the best 3rd party finance rate was higher than 4%. It's more or less a wash. 0% should have some degree of benefit.
I generaly prefer to owe less then pay less interest.

You can always refinance, and in case you sell early lower price is what matters!

smanthrav

Reaction score
I generaly prefer to owe less then pay less interest.

You can always refinance, and in case you sell early lower price is what matters!

Absolutely. There’s not a one size fits all solution here. 0% APR came out to have better deal or at least a wash for my circumstances in terms of the total cost over the term of the loan. I can afford to pay cash for this truck if I save up for a few months so the only consideration for me was total cost over the term of the loan. I plan on keeping this truck at least for 5-6 years if not longer so the resale during loan-term perspective was not appealing to me.

NJT3

Reaction score
What to do if delivered with scratches?
What to do if dealer placed dealer decal though requested no decals

obrien

Reaction score
Absolutely. There’s not a one size fits all solution here. 0% APR came out to have better deal or at least a wash for my circumstances in terms of the total cost over the term of the loan. I can afford to pay cash for this truck if I save up for a few months so the only consideration for me was total cost over the term of the loan. I plan on keeping this truck at least for 5-6 years if not longer so the resale during loan-term perspective was not appealing to me.

Sure if you are confident you will pay it off interest/loan condition is what matters.
I would not recommend to pay in cash today as dealerships usually provide insentive if you finance through them and also interests are so low today that you are better off having money (IMHO)

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Have them repair the scratches and remove the decal before you take possession.

"New cars are also frequently damaged when moved around the lots. The cars are in tight spaces, with dings and scratches quite common."

"Before taking delivery of your car, make sure you do a close inspection, both on the outside and interior of the car. Look carefully for overspray of paint in the door jams, near the headlamps under the hood, and chrome trim."

"Also pay attention to the spacing between openings such as when the trunk, hood, or doors are closed. Make sure the spacings are even on both sides."

"Small scratches and dents are not uncommon to find. Make sure the dealer agrees to fix these blemishes before you drive off the lot."

"If you suspect the car has been damaged and repaired, ask the dealer to confirm or deny this in writing."

NJT3

Reaction score
Have them repair the scratches and remove the decal before you take possession.

"New cars are also frequently damaged when moved around the lots. The cars are in tight spaces, with dings and scratches quite common."

"Before taking delivery of your car, make sure you do a close inspection, both on the outside and interior of the car. Look carefully for overspray of paint in the door jams, near the headlamps under the hood, and chrome trim."

"Also pay attention to the spacing between openings such as when the trunk, hood, or doors are closed. Make sure the spacings are even on both sides."

"Small scratches and dents are not uncommon to find. Make sure the dealer agrees to fix these blemishes before you drive off the lot."

"If you suspect the car has been damaged and repaired, ask the dealer to confirm or deny this in writing."
Funny thing is wife was out and seeing by and looked at it before me... Scratches are on frame around rear window

smanthrav

Reaction score
Sure if you are confident you will pay it off interest/loan condition is what matters.
I would not recommend to pay in cash today as dealerships usually provide insentive if you finance through them and also interests are so low today that you are better off having money (IMHO)

Completely agree. I preferred to take an interest free loan and invest more of my cash flow now

AK103

Reaction score

Have them fix them if they're minor.
Mine had a minor scuff on the bed that was taken care of when it was detailed and ceramic coated.

Have them remove the decals.

Mastabob5

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum and looking to purchase a 2021 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Night Edition.

Currently have this as my first offer, didnt accept as I am waiting to here back from more dealers. (Plus you never accept the first offer :p)

Packages:

- Premium Lighting.
- Night Edition
- 33 Gal Tank
- Big Horn Level 2
- eTorque Engine
- Floor Mats

MSRP: $52,750.00
Dealer Discount: $3482.00
Rebates: $4500.00

Cost: 44.768.00 before taxes/fees.

Roughly 15% off MSRP.

I was thinking this is an OK deal, but I am shooting for around 20% off MSRP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good dealers in the Indiana area?

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
If the MSRP is 68k and the dealer offer is 62k that is only 8.82% off. The 16% offer is $57,120. That means you paid $4,880 more for the 0.0% financing. Whether this is a better deal or not depends on multiple factors. Use the below link to find out your best deal.

Rebate vs. lower interest: Which car incentive is right for you?
This is very relevant. I did the math on my purchase and I was better off on a monthly rate and over the life of the loan with extra cash incentives (also lower taxes as a result) and 2.99% vs 0% financing.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum and looking to purchase a 2021 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Night Edition.

Currently have this as my first offer, didnt accept as I am waiting to here back from more dealers. (Plus you never accept the first offer :p)

Packages:

- Premium Lighting.
- Night Edition
- 33 Gal Tank
- Big Horn Level 2
- eTorque Engine
- Floor Mats

MSRP: $52,750.00
Dealer Discount: $3482.00
Rebates: $4500.00

Cost: 44.768.00 before taxes/fees.

Roughly 15% off MSRP.

I was thinking this is an OK deal, but I am shooting for around 20% off MSRP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good dealers in the Indiana area?
Does your rebate portion of your deal include the $1,500 Ram pop up cash? If they are still doing that it'll get you to 18% off MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread