5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

SMJBAV

Reaction score
NEW 21' RAM CAME IN ... got the statement of charges ... so here it is ... again ... trading up from a 2020 4x2 Limited M.S.R.P. $64,880 to a 2021 4x4 Limited M.S.R.P $70,855 .. E.P. is $61,944 ... strong trade price of $52,000 ... rebates of $4,500 ... net difference is $6,133.72 ... based on the tax and doc fee paid.. l think this was a smoking deal ... not many drive a truck off the lot, let alone a full year and tradeup to a new vehicle for less than the difference of both msrp's ....
Indeed you did very well...Congratulations.

saylor

Reaction score
Some of us have figured out that putting a large lump sum of cash into a depreciating asset isn't as good as financing at low to no interest and investing that same amount and making returns in excess of any finance charges, resulting in having a truck AND capital gains vs. just the truck.

It's a radical concept, but I think it might just catch on.
o, dude said he was leasing my bad

saylor

Reaction score
imma go ahead and stay debt free. but at least we talked homedude out of a crap deal.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Debt free is a good approach too. Pros and cons to both attacks.

Yes...hopefully he listens.
Yeah I have no idea where this debt thing came from if he's referring to me. I think he thinks "payoff" means that's how much I owe. It's paid off, that's why it shows customer allowance $36k, and down as $18k. I was just wondering if putting the other $18k down on a lease was a bad idea over the term of the lease. Seems like it is from your guys' thoughts.

ddocrt

Reaction score
What % off MSRP did you get? I wasn’t impressed with local dealers when I ended up getting mine through Mark Dodge.

about 21% and they gave me a good deal on my trade too. i got the feeling they really wanted to move that truck. i think it happened to be in contact with them at the right time.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
imma go ahead and stay debt free. but at least we talked homedude out of a crap deal.
Debt free is always a good thing...UNLESS you can get 0% financing. Then it is MUCH BETTER to use someone else's money, versus your own, so you can MAKE money off of what you would have put down on the vehicle (I am earning well north of 7% on my poorest investments). I may frazzle a few people here, but to NOT TAKE A 0% DEAL, if you can get one, is just plain STUPID! Now, to be clear, if the 0% eliminates thousands in discounting, I am not talking about that scenario as the thousands in savings could be better than a 0% deal based on the final math.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Debt free is always a good thing...UNLESS you can get 0% financing. Then it is MUCH BETTER to use someone else's money, versus your own, so you can MAKE money off of what you would have put down on the vehicle (I am earning well north of 7% on my poorest investments). I may frazzle a few people here, but to NOT TAKE A 0% DEAL, if you can get one, is just plain STUPID! Now, to be clear, if the 0% eliminates thousands in discounting, I am not talking about that scenario as the thousands in savings could be better than a 0% deal based on the final math.
Agree with you but what can sometimes happen (to the less disciplined) is instead of taking the cash and investing it, they go out and blow it on a boat or something. Now they have no cash, no investment, and a fat payment.

WReckeR

Reaction score
It's official, now a RAM owner! Drove two hours yesterday down to Ourisman in Clarksville. Everything went well. Highly recommend working with Keiri Flores if you are in the market. Was a very transparent and easy transaction. Most of the initial discussions were done over email and one quick phone call.
ddocrt,
Was this a 2021 Big Horn? I emailed with Ourisman regarding a 2021 Limited. They told me they have a $1995 "Dealer Protection Fee". Did they mention this fee? You didn't pay that fee? The Limited I discussed with them was, and still is, on the lot. No where near 22% off. Keiri is not listed on their website as staff. Can you share her email?

Last edited:

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and have been lurking for a little bit trying to get tips on everything. I'm looking to purchase my first 2021 Ram 1500 Limited but wanting to see what you guys think of the deal or give me some pointers. I did read from one of the sales people on here that the Limited has the most markup.

MSRP: 70,600
Edmunds Invoice: 64,748

Supposedly there is a $2000 rebate, I would also get $500 for First Responder, and do also have Affiliate. I have heard that some dealers are still somehow doing Employee pricing even though it ended on 1/4. Would be trying to hit say 20% off MSRP total before TTL and fees be right where I want to be? Any tips, hints, tricks would be greatly appreciated.

enigmaaron

Reaction score
ddocrt,
Was this a 2021 Big Horn? I emailed with Ourisman regarding a 2021 Limited. They told me they have a $1995 "Dealer Protection Fee". Did they mention this fee? You didn't pay that fee? The Limited I discussed with them was, and still is, on the lot. No where near 22% off. Keiri is not listed on their website as staff. Can you share her email?
I was unimpressed with Ourisman as well. They tacked on the $1995 fee, and added back in $1695 freight charge. When I asked them to take it off I got crickets. That was after their internet sales manager immediately redirected me to a salesman, and three other people from the dealership contacted me for some reason.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I was unimpressed with Ourisman as well. They tacked on the $1995 fee, and added back in $1695 freight charge. When I asked them to take it off I got crickets. That was after their internet sales manager immediately redirected me to a salesman, and three other people from the dealership contacted me for some reason.

It doesn't make sense that ddocrt received such a great deal. I can think of a couple possibilities. 1, they are overstocked on Big Horns. 2, that particular Big Horn had been on the lot for too long. 3, the Big Horn was new, but a 2020. He hasn't confirmed the year yet. Anyway, all of their internet information says they add the Dealer Protection Fee. His salesperson, Keiri Flores, does not appear in their staff section on their website. I determined their email pattern ([email protected]) and I emailed her. BUT, half a day with no reply. Even if I cannot get his deal, I'd like for them to be transparent about why they could give that deal to him.

WReckeR

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and have been lurking for a little bit trying to get tips on everything. I'm looking to purchase my first 2021 Ram 1500 Limited but wanting to see what you guys think of the deal or give me some pointers. I did read from one of the sales people on here that the Limited has the most markup.

MSRP: 70,600
Edmunds Invoice: 64,748

Supposedly there is a $2000 rebate, I would also get $500 for First Responder, and do also have Affiliate. I have heard that some dealers are still somehow doing Employee pricing even though it ended on 1/4. Would be trying to hit say 20% off MSRP total before TTL and fees be right where I want to be? Any tips, hints, tricks would be greatly appreciated.

During the official Employee Pricing event, dealers would offer the EP, the financing rebates if you wanted to go through Chrysler Capital (0% incompatible with EP), and any conditional rebates like your First Responder. Some people had Private Offer coupons, something you might get as a pop up while browsing the corporate website.

Unless your conditional rebates were abundant, you could not get 20% off. I think 16% was closer. However, if you read this thread, *some* people ARE getting 18-22%+. There isn't much known about how to do that in a clear-cut, never-fail way. I am guessing that dealers may have scenarios that will lead them to discount further. Old stock, overstock, unpopular configurations, trying to hit a sales goal. Buyers who succeeded in getting deeper discounts aren't often reporting exactly what the scenario was.

There is advice about end of the month, end of the quarter, holiday special event, being aggressive or defiant, walking away. But a dealers have policies and true costs. They're not in business to lose money. Further, behavioral tactics won't change the facts on the ground. That is to say, you can't throw a fit to get your way if the dealer can't meet your price.

saylor

Reaction score
During the official Employee Pricing event, dealers would offer the EP, the financing rebates if you wanted to go through Chrysler Capital (0% incompatible with EP), and any conditional rebates like your First Responder. Some people had Private Offer coupons, something you might get as a pop up while browsing the corporate website.

Unless your conditional rebates were abundant, you could not get 20% off. I think 16% was closer. However, if you read this thread, *some* people ARE getting 18-22%+. There isn't much known about how to do that in a clear-cut, never-fail way. I am guessing that dealers may have scenarios that will lead them to discount further. Old stock, overstock, unpopular configurations, trying to hit a sales goal. Buyers who succeeded in getting deeper discounts aren't often reporting exactly what the scenario was.

There is advice about end of the month, end of the quarter, holiday special event, being aggressive or defiant, walking away. But a dealers have policies and true costs. They're not in business to lose money. Further, behavioral tactics won't change the facts on the ground. That is to say, you can't throw a fit to get your way if the dealer can't meet your price.
its interesting psychology. doing the dance is always an experience no matter how many times you do it in your lifetime.

i straight up had a envelope full of cash and went on the last day of the year trying to find a stealership that needed to move 1 more unit to make their number.

in DFW they chose their margin over the envelope of cash. But there are nothin but paper-tag new cars putting around here too freaking new cars are everywhere they arent hurting to sell new trucks right now

Users who are viewing this thread