5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
its interesting psychology. doing the dance is always an experience no matter how many times you do it in your lifetime.

i straight up had a envelope full of cash and went on the last day of the year trying to find a stealership that needed to move 1 more unit to make their number.

in DFW they chose their margin over the envelope of cash. But there are nothin but paper-tag new cars putting around here too freaking new cars are everywhere they arent hurting to sell new trucks right now
They don't want your cash...they want you to finance. Eons ago, cash was king...it is not any longer.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a pretty good deal on my truck. 2020 1500 Limited-MSRP:$69500. I got it for around $63000.

Right now I have one I'm looking at

MSRP: 69,365
Sale Price w/ all incentives: 60,562.00 (Not including TTL)

With that being under 15% off MSRP I'll continue to hunt. I have emails out to about 20 different dealerships with bascially the same MSRP to see what they come back with. Looks like up to $2000 cash allowance and the $500 First responder is all that is really out there.

I went back to them and told them your trying to sell it to me for just the 1% under invoice (if my math is correct) and I'll continue to look. It's hard for me to think with all the kickbacks that dealers make that atleast 5% under invoice isn't achievable.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Right now I have one I'm looking at

MSRP: 69,365
Sale Price w/ all incentives: 60,562.00 (Not including TTL)

With that being under 15% off MSRP I'll continue to hunt. I have emails out to about 20 different dealerships with bascially the same MSRP to see what they come back with. Looks like up to $2000 cash allowance and the $500 First responder is all that is really out there.

I went back to them and told them your trying to sell it to me for just the 1% under invoice (if my math is correct) and I'll continue to look. It's hard for me to think with all the kickbacks that dealers make that atleast 5% under invoice isn't achievable.
That's actually a 12.7% deal. You may be able to eek another $2K to get you to a 15% deal if you can find a dealer that wants to sell a truck 😂

Silent Bob

Reaction score
You should be getting at least 5% under invoice before including incentives and rebates.

These days paying invoice is like paying full price.
Why Invoice is the New MSRP - LINK

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should be getting at least 5% under invoice before including incentives and rebates.

These days paying invoice is like paying full price.
Why Invoice is the New MSRP - LINK

Your right, it doesn't have to be hard to get 5% under invoice. I just sent a price back to another deal for starting at 5% under before discounts. We will see where it goes.

I do appreciate the links for the other threads as I did look over those and review them again.

Last edited:

jai91

Reaction score
I ordered a truck via Koons, it arrived and I am going to pick it up later this week.
2021 Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn
MSRP: 74,590
Vehicle Price (Koons discount including Tread Lightly): 64,104
Rebates: 3500 (1500-Private Offer, 1500-Consumer Cash, 500-Military)
Price Before TTL/Fees: 60604 (about 18.7 percent?)
Financing via Navy Fed at 1.54%. I would say all around, I am happy with this as I do not enjoy negotiating. I am not excited that they stated their new policy to avoid fraud is to run a credit check even with outside financing...

I could use some advice on my trade-in. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie with 26500 miles.
Originally, I was quoted 51,000 as a trade in(which was around the value then), but I have been following the values of used trucks online and it has gone up. KBB Avg for "Very Good" condition(truck is ceramic coated) is 53.5k with a range of 51-55k, and Carfax app shows my vehicle around this too. Debating how much more I should fight for. In my mind, if the opposite had happened the dealer would most certainly try to take value.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
I ordered a truck via Koons, it arrived and I am going to pick it up later this week.
Financing via Navy Fed at 1.54%. I would say all around, I am happy with this as I do not enjoy negotiating. I am not excited that they stated their new policy to avoid fraud is to run a credit check even with outside financing...

I could use some advice on my trade-in. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie with 26500 miles.
Originally, I was quoted 51,000 as a trade in(which was around the value then), but I have been following the values of used trucks online and it has gone up. KBB Avg for "Very Good" condition(truck is ceramic coated) is 53.5k with a range of 51-55k, and Carfax app shows my vehicle around this too. Debating how much more I should fight for. In my mind, if the opposite had happened the dealer would most certainly try to take value.
Is the $1500 private offer the pop up coupon from the website? If so, are you sure they’re allowing you to use that with Tread Lightly? I’m asking because I understand Lakeland is now allowing it to be used with Tread Lightly. Thanks and congrats on the new truck!

jai91

Reaction score
Is the $1500 private offer the pop up coupon from the website? If so, are you sure they’re allowing you to use that with Tread Lightly? I’m asking because I understand Lakeland is now allowing it to be used with Tread Lightly. Thanks and congrats on the new truck!
I believe so. I didn't even have to mention I had it. I was just told it was available. I said I had the offer code and was told I don't need it because they already had it. Koons only does an extra .5% for Tread Lightly instead of the full 1%, if I remember correct.

enigmaaron

Reaction score

For the trade, check carvana, vroom, or any other local online used car sites for prices. Also if you have a carsense, carmax, or the like nearby get a quote from them. You can either use that as leverage with the dealer or just trade it in to them.

saylor

Reaction score

For the trade, check carvana, vroom, or any other local online used car sites for prices. Also if you have a carsense, carmax, or the like nearby get a quote from them. You can either use that as leverage with the dealer or just trade it in to them.
funny i was just typing this basically. i saw the market and listed a 2015 crew cab big horn 2x with 75k miles for $22k in autotrader and autonation was first response and they bought it, and even ubered me home.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I sold a ZL1 to Vroom 2 years ago. Great price and easy transaction

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Two things:

1. Great deal...congrats on an 18.75% off MSRP deal.
2. KBB means NOTHING and dealers go off if a totally different platform

You can do what I did and get an instant quote from both www.carvana.com and www.vroom.com Just enter your license plate number and state. I found I got realistic numbers and leveraged that to get my best trade in price.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the $60,604 include Koons hefty $899 Document Fee?
Bob, STOP with the push on doc fees already. I totally get your point, but they only muddy the water as does the tax, title and tag issue. What's important to compare apples to apples is the final cost of the deal minus all incidentals.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Bob, STOP with the push on doc fees already. I totally get your point, but they only muddy the water as does the tax, title and tag issue. What's important to compare apples to apples is the final cost of the deal minus all incidentals.
You are 100% incorrect on doc fees. Maybe because this fee is so common you think it is required. It is not. It is not a required government tax or fee. It is not a factory fee. It is pure dealer profit. Once a fee is mandatory, it becomes an integral part of the total price, and the fact that the dealers give the artificial carve-out a plausible name doesn't alter that fact.

If a dealership charges a $1000 doc fee and and sells you a car at actual cost they still make $1000. Would you be able to make the same deal where the doc fee is $50?

I will sell you any new RAM for 50% off MSRP.
Just don't forget my Doc Fee of $60,000

By your logic (apples to apples) I have the best price in the world and everyone should buy from me.

You can't include government taxes and fees for "apples to apples" because they are unavoidable and different depending on location.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are 100% incorrect on doc fees. Maybe because this fee is so common you think it is required. It is not. It is not a required government tax or fee. It is not a factory fee. It is pure dealer profit. Once a fee is mandatory, it becomes an integral part of the total price, and the fact that the dealers give the artificial carve-out a plausible name doesn't alter that fact.

If a dealership charges a $1000 doc fee and and sells you a car at actual cost they still make $1000. Would you be able to make the same deal where the doc fee is $50?

I will sell you any new RAM for 50% off MSRP.
Just don't forget my Doc Fee of $60,000

By your logic (apples to apples) I have the best price in the world and everyone should buy from me.

You can't include government taxes and fees for "apples to apples" because they are unavoidable and different depending on location.
Bob, you are correct that it is now common place in many states. State laws have been passed which allow dealers to create these fees and also governs and caps them. They are non-negotiable in most states and what one customer pays is what ALL customers must pay or the dealer can be sued and fined by the state. However, you can negotiate them down by getting concessions on other parts of your purchase like the main deal, accessories, etc. I fully comprehend that these "fees" are pure profit which is why, smart people, understand that if a fee is $500, I can ask for an additional $500 off the cost of my vehicle while still paying the state required $500 dealer fee so net zero fee. Since these fees vary so much by state, and even county in many cases, you cannot use that fee as a part of how good of a deal did you really receive. All fees and taxes need to be removed for a true apples to apples compare. I have been buying cars since 1980 and this truck is number 38. I know a ton about purchasing vehicles and would consider myself a self-proclaimed expert on buying cars. Most all people that know me locally have me negotiate their deals or go with them to the stealership. Not puffing out my chest...just stating fact. Ask my kids, they have heard General Manager after General Manager tell me that they have never met a person that could negotiate a deal as well as I did. I know where all of the dollars are buried. Maybe that's why I am in the position I am today professionally and negotiate huge deals for a living. I understand your logic but it is flawed. We are all trying our best to look at what is the true bottom line. The true bottom line should not include the doc fee as they vary so dramatically, as do tax rates, title and tag fees, etc.

We can agree to disagree on this one as we won't be changing each others mind;)

dixobr01

Reaction score
Hi!

So I’m at this deal so far
MSRP 72,900 2021 Limited Black Night edition - various options
The deal $60,500 on 60mo finance 0.0%

Trying to get close to $59,00 but they are pretty dug in.

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread