5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Right, but is it an ADDITIONAL 1% or is it a flat 1% below invoice pricing?

So, if i’m getting 11% off MSRP now, does that automatically become 12% off or is it not stackable?

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Not stackable. For example, 12% off MSRP on a $60,000 truck brings you down to $52,800. Then, let's say the factory invoice is only $55,000. Now you take 1% off that invoice not MSRP. So your final price now becomes $52,250 ($52,800 - .01($52,800)).

Paultg

Reaction score
1% off invoice and 1% off MSRP and being mixed and matched in this thread. Giving an additional 1% off MSRP is a lot more than the claimed 1% off invoice for TreadLightly. Others are also mixing apples to oranges with the % off from dealers when ordering by changing invoice to MSRP; 8% off invoice is a WAY better deal than 8% off MSRP (about $5,500 difference OTD without factoring in rebates or other add ons).
Well my paperwork is indicating 1% off MSRP for the Tread lightly. See if that sticks when we actual do the final paperwork. Its a difference of only $50 if its wrong.
Regarding % off MSRP vs % off invoice, everyone should run the math both ways. In my situation the Criswell deal was better, and it's off MSRP.
I think that is generally true as the MSRP is higher, but it depends if the actual invoice pricing trends upward at the same rate as MSRP.

My Truck is $58,035 MSRP. Invoice is $53,563.
This is how the deal worked out between Criswell and Koons. If Koons was still doing the 8% off Invoice they would be been less. But they aren't and $800 dealer fee is ridiculous.
Pricing Comparison.JPG

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Well my paperwork is indicating 1% off MSRP for the Tread lightly. See if that sticks when we actual do the final paperwork. Its a difference of only $50 if its wrong.
Regarding % off MSRP vs % off invoice, everyone should run the math both ways. In my situation the Criswell deal was better, and it's off MSRP.
I think that is generally true as the MSRP is higher, but it depends if the actual invoice pricing trends upward at the same rate as MSRP.

This is how the deal worked out between Criswell and Koons. If Koons was still doing the 8% off Invoice they would be been less. But they aren't and $800 dealer fee is ridiculous.
View attachment 62434
Wow! That's awesome. All the more reason for me to go with Carl. In any case, you're right - the difference is around $50.

Venom700

Reaction score

View attachment 62434
This is a good breakdown. If the extra 1% off TreadLightly stick then that’s great! I will be running the numbers between these two dealers when I’m ready to order a 2021.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Koons gave me 8% below invoice, and with tread lightly another 1/2%... total of 8 1/2% off.. Haven’t finalized deal yet so I might dig in about giving me the full 1% tread lightly discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on at Koons all of a sudden... Was supposed to go down there tomorrow and pick her up. Been waiting on the finance dept all week to get in touch with me, never did. Got one call from someone just stating that I was approved for 72 months and that was it. The Lady had no other info for me. I told her I would like to see the actual paperwork and numbers.. she said someone will get in touch with me. Never did. Had to cancel appt with salesman for tomorrow. I told him, I’m waiting on them. I’m ready. Guess I’ll have to reschedule. F@&K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas

Reaction score

View attachment 62434
Interesting, when I communicated with Koons two weeks ago their break down all of a sudden included the 1695 destination fee. I walked.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Interesting, when I communicated with Koons two weeks ago their break down all of a sudden included the 1695 destination fee. I walked.
Yeah, the $1695 is supposed to be part of MSRP.

Paultg

Reaction score
I stopped discussing with Koons when I found out the 8% on the forums here was reduced to 6%. So my math above was never in writing, was just for comparisoon.
You are correct about destination (heard others say that about them). The destination fee would probably be added in my example above and make the Criswell deal even better for me. - Paul G.

Reactions: Bas

imolar

Reaction score
I've read over most of this thread so apologies if I missed it somewhere but can we stack the Tread Lightly with the USAA $1K discount? Didn't see anything saying no on USAA's site.

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
I stopped discussing with Koons when I found out the 8% on the forums here was reduced to 6%. So my math above was never in writing, was just for comparisoon.
You are correct about destination (heard others say that about them). The destination fee would probably be added in my example above and make the Criswell deal even better for me. - Paul G.

Note - For Criswell, it appears the price you work out with Carl is unrelated to the prices you see on the Criswell site as they all have this disclaimer at the bottom:
The New Vehicle Internet Sale Price (ePrice) includes rebates, incentives and dealer discounts. Customers may not qualify for all incentives. Freight, sales tax, tags, wheel locks and a $500 processing charge are additional. To provide you with the best upfront pricing, ePrices are valid on in stock units only. Internet Sale Prices (ePrices) are valid based on manufacturer incentive program time periods. We make every effort to provide accurate information; please verify options and price before purchasing. All prices, specifications, and availability are subject to change without notice. All financing is subject to approved credit. Pictures may be for illustrative purposes only; offers not valid on prior sales. Please contact Criswell Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM and FIAT in Gaithersburg, MD for complete details and the most current information.

The link on this site for Criswell's special pricing program notes:
The Ram 1500 Ranch at Criswell RAM, located in Gaithersburg MD, is proud to announce their nationwide Special Pricing Program for new in stock and factory ordered RAM 1500's.
11% Off MSRP On 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie/Longhorn/Limited PLUS Incentives
10% Off MSRP On 2021 RAM 1500 Big Horn/Rebel PLUS Incentives
No Games, No Gimmicks
Must contact Carl Wilhelm
, at [email protected]. Email me what you are looking for and I can get you your price quote. I will provide you with a your transparent price breakdown including the rebates you qualify for. The only additional fees you would have to add would be your state's taxes, tags and the $500 Maryland processing fee.
The price I provide you will only include the rebates YOU qualify for at time of delivery. Not rebates you may or may not qualify for.

So both Koons and Criswell play games with freight/destination not being part of their advertised prices on their web sites. I say games because, for now, most other sites show their internet prices minus MSRP, which includes freight/destination. Koons/Criswell (and others) state their internet prices independent of MSRP, so what looks like a good price now is short of the $1700 for freight/destination and another $700 for admin fees.

But it looks like with Criswell, as long as you go through Carl, you can skip the games. The question is, even with skipping the games, is Criswell's price better or as good as other's prices? Can you negiotiate and stack offers to get a better price than what Carl offers? If so, you have to remember to add in whatever the other dealers try to throw in on the back end - freight/destination, a $700 admin fee, do yo need to buy $3000 paint and etching protection? Does their price include a mandatory trade in? $500 wheel locks? So on and so forth.

It seems that savvy buyers can cut through the crap, but there may be other caveats to consider when trying to add in rebates from FCA and other programs.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Note - For Criswell, it appears the price you work out with Carl is unrelated to the prices you see on the Criswell site as they all have this disclaimer at the bottom:
The New Vehicle Internet Sale Price (ePrice) includes rebates, incentives and dealer discounts. Customers may not qualify for all incentives. Freight, sales tax, tags, wheel locks and a $500 processing charge are additional. To provide you with the best upfront pricing, ePrices are valid on in stock units only. Internet Sale Prices (ePrices) are valid based on manufacturer incentive program time periods. We make every effort to provide accurate information; please verify options and price before purchasing. All prices, specifications, and availability are subject to change without notice. All financing is subject to approved credit. Pictures may be for illustrative purposes only; offers not valid on prior sales. Please contact Criswell Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM and FIAT in Gaithersburg, MD for complete details and the most current information.

The Ram 1500 Ranch at Criswell RAM, located in Gaithersburg MD, is proud to announce their nationwide Special Pricing Program for new in stock and factory ordered RAM 1500's.
No Games, No Gimmicks
, at [email protected]. Email me what you are looking for and I can get you your price quote. I will provide you with a your transparent price breakdown including the rebates you qualify for. The only additional fees you would have to add would be your state's taxes, tags and the $500 Maryland processing fee.
The price I provide you will only include the rebates YOU qualify for at time of delivery. Not rebates you may or may not qualify for.

So both Koons and Criswell play games with freight/destination not being part of their advertised prices on their web sites. I say games because, for now, most other sites show their internet prices minus MSRP, which includes freight/destination. Koons/Criswell (and others) state their internet prices independent of MSRP, so what looks like a good price now is short of the $1700 for freight/destination and another $700 for admin fees.

But it looks like with Criswell, as long as you go through Carl, you can skip the games. The question is, even with skipping the games, is Criswell's price better or as good as other's prices? Can you negiotiate and stack offers to get a better price than what Carl offers? If so, you have to remember to add in whatever the other dealers try to throw in on the back end - freight/destination, a $700 admin fee, do yo need to buy $3000 paint and etching protection? Does their price include a mandatory trade in? $500 wheel locks? So on and so forth.

It seems that savvy buyers can cut through the crap, but there may be other caveats to consider when trying to add in rebates from FCA and other programs.

You can find as good or better deals NOT using Criswell or Koons. It will however require that you put in a significant amount of work and patience as there is a tremendous amount of games and overall bulls**t going on with dealers. I bought my truck a week ago, prices were far better in Feb/March than they are now but I ended up paying about 2K more than I would have earlier . Now, that said, a dealer that I tried to buy a Limited Level 1 truck from at that time for $45K, he gave me a quote that had $10K in add-ons. He now has that same truck "on sale" for $52K, I guarantee there's going to be another $8-9K in add-ons. Thats what you need to look out for, those prices that seem "smokin".
You have to be patient AND willing to put some work into it and check these dealers.
Criswell/Koons may be the easiest to get close to your "good" price but they can be beat.

If you're in Texas,
Richard Burkhalter
[email protected]
(682) 228-0934 Cell
(682) 747-0498 Office

Nyle Maxwell in Austin is another good no BS dealer

RiverOaks in Houston is also one, aside from the sales manager that tried to backout of my deal, Blake Helfman, the GM/Owner tried to make it right but his price was ultimately beat by $500 and a shorter drive
Blake Helfman
Sales Manager
713-899-5529)

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Easy choice to buy through Carl if you’re anywhere close to MD to take delivery. Transparency should be rewarded.

The admin fee or doc fee has been going up as more of us squeeze dealerships. It’s a way for dealerships to guarantee some income on new trucks but none of that profit goes to the sales team. No wonder sales people are less educated on new trucks than we are on this forum. It’s a hard job to make a career from for the average guy. You need to sell a bunch of used cars or luxury brands in order to make a good living.

Paultg

Reaction score

No Games, No Gimmicks

I think you are misreading Criswell info.
Criswell pricing (and Chrysler MSRP) includes the destination fee.
The *Freight* they are referring to is if you want your truck shipped from their dealership to you. That’s how I read it.

Also my deal is on a 2020. You can see on here in their forum the pricing I got was posted back in Sept 2020 by Carl. He honored it no questions asked when I started this process in June 2020.

Criswell (and other dealers) offers different pricing for 2021 trucks.
As of July 1st the Criswell dealer fee went up to $500.
That’s the only real change. It’s not “games” in my opinion.

Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score
Criswell/Koons may be the easiest to get close to your "good" price but they can be beat.

I agree. I just got so tired of trying to work with local dealers. I know my deal might not be the best ever, but considering the time spent getting it it just might be. It’s all depends on how much effort/time you care to spend.
1%-2% more off for my deal is $500-$1000 total. If I get lucky and the rebates for 2020s improve in my favor I’ll be closer to 20% on a truck I configured.
Ill be real happy if that happens. I’m really hoping for the rebates to go from $2500 to almost $5000. That would be awesome.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
I agree. I just got so tired of trying to work with local dealers. I know my deal might not be the best ever, but considering the time spent getting it it just might be. It’s all depends on how much effort/time you care to spend.
1%-2% more off for my deal is $500-$1000 total. If I get lucky and the rebates for 2020s improve in my favor I’ll be closer to 20% on a truck I configured.
Ill be real happy if that happens. I’m really hoping for the rebates to go from $2500 to almost $5000. That would be awesome.
This is exactly how I feel- tired of dealing with the dealers. I'm not just talking about those who are close to where I live but across the state lines. Even at 11% off MSRP wiyh no rebates and even if I have to drive the truck myself or ship it, I still come out ahead compared to the joke of a price I've been getting offered all around. I think we should start a database of the most consumer-friendly dealers who are reasonable pricewise and don't waste our time. Let them get all the business from all over the country.

BeemerG

Reaction score
I think you are misreading Criswell info.
Criswell pricing (and Chrysler MSRP) includes the destination fee.
The *Freight* they are referring to is if you want your truck shipped from their dealership to you. That’s how I read it.

Also my deal is on a 2020. You can see on here in their forum the pricing I got was posted back in Sept 2020 by Carl. He honored it no questions asked when I started this process in June 2020.

Criswell (and other dealers) offers different pricing for 2021 trucks.
As of July 1st the Criswell dealer fee went up to $500.
That’s the only real change. It’s not “games” in my opinion.
I don't think he misread it. I was all set to order my 2020 Rebel ED with Criswell, I asked for break down of the price, or itemize everything since I am stupid. I want to be sure exactly how much this truck will cost me without any rebates and taxes. Since no one knows what the rebates will be at the time of delivery. He didn't want put it in writing so I asked him repeatedly HOW MUCH I WILL PAY FOR THIS TRUCK. At the end he verbally gave me the breakdown MSPR less the discount plus $1695 delivery charge plus $500 processing fee.
I asked him why would I pay for delivery charge since FCA already includes delivery charge of $1695, and his answer was I am not paying MSRP. I am paying their special order price. That's when I stop my order.
I know you are still waiting for arrival of your truck hopefully they don't tack on $1695 destination fee on your order.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
I don't think he misread it. I was all set to order my 2020 Rebel ED with Criswell, I asked for break down of the price, or itemize everything since I am stupid. I want to be sure exactly how much this truck will cost me without any rebates and taxes. Since no one knows what the rebates will be at the time of delivery. He didn't want put it in writing so I asked him repeatedly HOW MUCH I WILL PAY FOR THIS TRUCK. At the end he verbally gave me the breakdown MSPR less the discount plus $1695 delivery charge plus $500 processing fee.
I asked him why would I pay for delivery charge since FCA already includes delivery charge of $1695, and his answer was I am not paying MSRP. I am paying their special order price. That's when I stop my order.
I know you are still waiting for arrival of your truck hopefully they don't tack on $1695 destination fee on your order.
So they want you to pay $1695 destination price twice?? The MSRP already includes that fee!!

Users who are viewing this thread