5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Paultg

Reaction score
I don't think he misread it. I was all set to order my 2020 Rebel ED with Criswell, I asked for break down of the price, or itemize everything since I am stupid. I want to be sure exactly how much this truck will cost me without any rebates and taxes. Since no one knows what the rebates will be at the time of delivery. He didn't want put it in writing so I asked him repeatedly HOW MUCH I WILL PAY FOR THIS TRUCK. At the end he verbally gave me the breakdown MSPR less the discount plus $1695 delivery charge plus $500 processing fee.
I asked him why would I pay for delivery charge since FCA already includes delivery charge of $1695, and his answer was I am not paying MSRP. I am paying their special order price. That's when I stop my order.
I know you are still waiting for arrival of your truck hopefully they don't tack on $1695 destination fee on your order.
Very surprised. Not to ask a dumb question but are were dealing with Carl at Criswell? Not Koons? It looks like you combined the Koons & Criswell info above.

Where did you get that text from you quoted above?
Using the Criswell link from this site I don’t see the language about freight that you posted. It must be from Koons.
See this link:

I have a signed document with my pricing so I’m not too worried. I’m also planning to ask for all paperwork upfront to go to my local bank before flying down there to pick it up.

Skater

Reaction score
I don't think he misread it. I was all set to order my 2020 Rebel ED with Criswell, I asked for break down of the price, or itemize everything since I am stupid. I want to be sure exactly how much this truck will cost me without any rebates and taxes. Since no one knows what the rebates will be at the time of delivery. He didn't want put it in writing so I asked him repeatedly HOW MUCH I WILL PAY FOR THIS TRUCK. At the end he verbally gave me the breakdown MSPR less the discount plus $1695 delivery charge plus $500 processing fee.
I asked him why would I pay for delivery charge since FCA already includes delivery charge of $1695, and his answer was I am not paying MSRP. I am paying their special order price. That's when I stop my order.
I know you are still waiting for arrival of your truck hopefully they don't tack on $1695 destination fee on your order.
Good for you. You always need to be willing to walk away from a transaction. If you are too involved to the point where you lose the ability to say "no" and walk away, you will most likely be taken advantage of by not only dealers, but anyone with whom you negotiate a contract. Good for you. (y)

BeemerG

Reaction score
So they want you to pay $1695 destination price twice?? The MSRP already includes that fee!!
Here is what they said to me word by word I wrote it down.
The freight is included in the window sticker(MSRP) price but it's excluded from our discount price so it has to be added on all new vehicles. You're not paying the window sticker price, hence why it's added on the price what we are giving you now. Also note our processing fee is now $500 up from $300.

Paultg

Reaction score
The freight is included in the window sticker(MSRP) price but it's excluded from our discount price so it has to be added on all new vehicles. You're not paying the window sticker price, hence why it's added on the price what we are giving you now. Also note our processing fee is now $500 up from $300.
If a dealer is doing this they should just be removing the $1695 from the calculation for discount, not charging you for it twice.

IE:
$60k MSRP with destination.
$60k MSRP - $1695 = $58,305
$58,305 x 0.11% = $6,413 discount
———-
Truck price is $58,305 - $6,413 = $51,622
Add Destinaton back in: + $1695
———-
$53,317 + dealer fees - rebates

11% of $1695 is $200. It’s not that you are charged twice. Their discount is just $200 less than if they did the math of 11% off the full $60k.

BeemerG

Reaction score
Very surprised. Not to ask a dumb question but are were dealing with Carl at Criswell? Not Koons? It looks like you combined the Koons & Criswell info above.

Where did you get that text from you quoted above?
Using the Criswell link from this site I don’t see the language about freight that you posted. It must be from Koons.
See this link:

I have a signed document with my pricing so I’m not too worried. I’m also planning to ask for all paperwork upfront to go to my local bank before flying down there to pick it up.
It is Criswell, I never email or spoke to anyone in Koons about RAM 1500. I did however bought my F250 from Koons few years back.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
I think I understand now. When they calculate your 11% or 12% off MSRP, the MSRP in that calculation does not include the freight figure of $1695 so they add it back later. If that's the case, then you're only paying the freight fee once but it cannot be discounted.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
If a dealer is doing this they should just be removing the $1695 from the calculation for discount, not charging you for it twice.

IE:
———-
———-

11% of $1695 is $200. It’s not that you are charged twice. Their discount is just $200 less than if they did the math of 11% off the full $60k.
Exactly!

Paultg

Reaction score
It is Criswell, I never email or spoke to anyone in Koons about RAM 1500. I did however bought my F250 from Koons few years back.
Was it Carl or someone else? Just curious. I’m going to ask him about this when I call for an update on my truck this week.

BeemerG

Reaction score
Was it Carl or someone else? Just curious. I’m going to ask him about this when I call for an update on my truck this week.
It was Alex. Carl must of have day off or something that day. I'll wait until 2021's come out then I order it or find something on dealer lot. I am 55% Ram Rebel vs 45% GMC AT4 let's see what August and September will bring.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
It was Alex. Carl must of have day off or something that day. I'll wait until 2021's come out then I order it or find something on dealer lot. I am 55% Ram Rebel vs 45% GMC AT4 let's see what August and September will bring.

Check into Len Stoler also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniscientMercifulz

Reaction score
Hey guys. New member here!

Any way to get some insight on a deal i'm working on? Trying to haggle my way downward with a 2020 limited that has an MSRP of $68,025. Invoice on it is $62,876.84. With an employee pricing discount, it ends up being 5% off and thus $59,733. In my regional area, there is $3250 in rebates. So, then would dealer cost in this case be invoice - 5% - $3,250(rebates) - $2,040 (3% holdback)? This would end up being $54,443. I am currently being offered 14% net discount which is $58,500. I feel like it's lacking but I guess not in this market.

Opinions? Pretty evident that there is more meat on the bones but I'd like your opinion as well.

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score

IE:
———-
———-

Yes. I think the dealers will come back and say freight/destination is a standard fee that the factory charges and that everyone pays the same amount. So when they take it out of their Internet/ePrice-whatever and add it back later, their teaser advertised price looks better. Especially against competitors who don't take it out of their advertised prices. Now when it is added it back in at the end of the deal, their price is closer to what their competitors change. But by this time they have at least have hooked you into talking with them.

It seems Criwell's "skip the crap" process rewards the savvy buyer who uses this process with a sort of "no haggle" or "pre fixe" price. But as noted, you may be able to beat this price elsewhere with some more work.

Paultg

Reaction score

Any way to get some insight on a deal i'm working on? Trying to haggle my way downward with a 2020 limited that has an MSRP of $68,025. Invoice on it is $62,876.84. With an employee pricing discount, it ends up being 5% off and thus $59,733. In my regional area, there is $3250 in rebates. So, then would dealer cost in this case be invoice - 5% - $3,250(rebates) - $2,040 (3% holdback)? This would end up being $54,443. I am currently being offered 14% net discount which is $58,500. I feel like it's lacking but I guess not in this market.

Opinions? Pretty evident that there is more meat on the bones but I'd like your opinion as well.
I’m not sure if you can combine/stack everything indicated in your EP example to get to $54,443.

On your 2nd option, would it be the 14% net discount to $58,500 - $3500 rebates for $55,000? If yes that’s also pretty good in my opinion.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
Keep Shopping!

If they want to sell you a vehicle at what you want to pay they will, of not just tell them your going to keep looking. Tyson’s Corner, VA (ram) has good deals also a non-haggling price. What you see online is what they offer. I bought my 2017 Scat Pack there very good people. Also Len Stoler in Westminster, MD have good deals you want to deal with Tara, who’s the online sales manager. She even got me a Mopar 6’4 bed cover for $790.00 thrown in for free for my 2020. But whatever you buy make sure e-torque isn’t on it. Just got my truck back after a month in the shop. If your willing to drove a bit you can save. I don’t buy vehicles in PA way overpriced. My scat pack was $16,000 cheaper brand new in Virginia.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As @Paultg said, typically when you use any type of discount (employee pricing, 1% under invoice, etc.) you will only get that discount plus any applicable rebates/incentives. Dealers won’t really move from there...such as taking away their holdback, etc.

With your figures, 5% under invoice minus the $3250 in rebates brings you to approximately $56,500. $12K off MSRP is really good, especially in this market. I’d be happy with that and make the deal.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score

Just a point of contention...that isn't dealer cost. Invoice has been slowly inflated since 1995 because many savvy shoppers were on to the invoice minus holdback so I cringe when I see people think that's that invoice minus holdback is dealer cost..it's not..not even close. Sounds like you have a good deal though from the numbers you posted.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone recently buy there truck at Koons... Before you went to pick up the truck, did they supply you with the final price and financials? My Truck is ready to be picked up but I am trying to get any sort of paperwork with final numbers and I feeling resistance from them. When I asked, the salesman said there really isn’t any paperwork, you just have to make an appointment, come in, sign it and it’s yours. I’m like, but right now I don’t know what I’m really going to paying monthly for the truck, and I would like to know!!! Ugh.. Starting to get frustrated.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Anyone recently buy there truck at Koons... Before you went to pick up the truck, did they supply you with the final price and financials? My Truck is ready to be picked up but I am trying to get any sort of paperwork with final numbers and I feeling resistance from them. When I asked, the salesman said there really isn’t any paperwork, you just have to make an appointment, come in, sign it and it’s yours. I’m like, but right now I don’t know what I’m really going to paying monthly for the truck, and I would like to know!!! Ugh.. Starting to get frustrated.

No way would I go to any dealership in my city let alone travel without a copy of the buyer sheet with all costs broken out by line item. Walk if they don’t provide it as that tells me they’re trying to hide something but once you travel there, you’ll likely cave. That’s shady business practices period.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score

Trying to hide something! Yeah not a lot of paperwork they are scared your going to take it to another dealer and beat that price.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No way would I go to any dealership in my city let alone travel without a copy of the buyer sheet with all costs broken out by line item. Walk if they don’t provide it as that tells me they’re trying to hide something but once you travel there, you’ll likely cave. That’s shady business practices period.

I know.. He has been very good and up front up until this point. As soon as the finance dept has been involved, it got weird. So far all I have is the order sheet that has my trade in there. Don’t have any of the rebates, and don’t even know what my APR rate is?? This is an out of state but also. I’m not trying to take a 5 hour ride there only to find out my monthly is astronomical or something...

Users who are viewing this thread