5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

ckwolfe11

Reaction score
Oh boy, seems like I'm not getting a good deal at all. They said that user fee is taxes and I don't see taxes anywhere else on the worksheet but who knows.

How much more off would it be before this was a decent deal? The deposit is $1,000 and i signed something that said it's non-refundable but I'm fairly certain it isn't legal in NC to keep it if I don't purchase the car.

I'm happy to walk away if I can get a better deal.
Where in NC, that is where I am. Check out Kernersville CDJR for pricing too they had decent pricing on a build I just did but I liked another dealer better in SC and they honored it. Volume dealer. I think that is a lot for that truck when you can upgrade to the Laramie black out addition.

ckwolfe11

Reaction score
I don't either actually, but I was sitting beside the order entry/sale rep when they entered into the system and the ordering software displayed can't delete it/wouldn't accept the order without that option being checked/entered. Have your dealers actually tried to enter your order in the system and if so did it let them?
I ordered a longhorn recently also and when they told me about that package I said it was too much bling for me lol. The side panels are chrome and just some stuff I would never want.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
That makes sense because the Costco discount ends up being equivalent to a dealer discount. You’re not going to get both. It’s the same with buyers who have a corporation code through their employer to get 1% under invoice. They’re not going to get that, a dealer discount, and manufacturer rebates/incentives. It’s just going to be the 1% under invoice and manufacturer rebates/incentives.

Those programs are NOT for people who want to get the best deal, they're for people just looking for an "easy no haggle" purchase. What these guys said is right, you will get NO dealer discount only rebates on top of the "program" price be it, corp discount, COSTCO, USAA Car Buying Service, Navy Federal Car Buying Service, Pentagon Federal Car Buying Service, etc. etc. The dealers do not even HAVE to honor that pricing. When I was still deciding between a Sierra AT4 CarbonPro and the Ram Limited (I'll be going with the Ram Limited), both dealers I dealt with would NOT honor the GM Military Pricing code I had which was 1% below invoice because they didn't want to because they were selling those trucks at MSRP to at most $1000 off MSRP and my discount code was equivalent to $4000 off MSRP. IMO, dealers LOVE when you have a code as they make much more off you than if you were to negotiate them against each other. These aren't normal times however, and deals are definitely harder to come by but as we've seen, they can still be done. It just depends on how flexible and patient people are.

Last edited:

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Heminator I fully agree. These programs are for the buyer that wants the “no haggle” purchase. Yes, they are getting a decent deal, especially if manufacturer rebates/incentives are good, but it typically won’t be the best deal you can get.

cowboy99

Reaction score
Yes, I haven't had great luck with them either ... especially Baxter. They haven't treated me very well or with respect over several attempted car purchases, and honestly I'm not hard to please I don't think. Just basic courtesy stuff. That's great to hear! Would love to hear your experience with the eco-diesel!

Baxter and Woodhouse were the same with me. Neither would budge, answer questions, or give me straight answers. Baxter had a bunch of Limiteds for $15k off and I inquired on the last one but they sold it. They had another identical limited purchased at the same time, so must have been a bulk order, but they had that at only 10k off and would budge. Then found out it's a demo car with 5000 miles and they'd only "maybe" come down $500. No thanks, so I walked.

. I just got everything finalized with Jeff Belzer outside Minneapolis and they did everything they said they would. The pricing on their site is what I'm paying. It even dropped $200 after I started the deal and they honored it, no questions asked. They even use a titling company to deal with Nebraska taxes and that fee is only $134. Very reasonable considering how bad it is to figure out what Nebraska wants. Even their doc fees were half of Baxter and Woodhouse. Either way, a 6.5 hour drive to save over $2k is worth it for me. At this point I'd highly recommend them

I just saw they still have a new 2019 Longhorn pretty decked out with the 5.7 going for $47,316 with MSRP of $62,955. That's really tempting, but I drive highway everyday so the diesel is more practical.

https://www.jeffbelzer.com/new-Lakeville-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie+Longhorn-1C6SRFKT5KN830902

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when refinancing right out of the gate you are getting “New” car rates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepdinger

Reaction score

Yes, auto loans for new cars are generally current model year and 1 year back, so right now you get NEW rates on 2019-2020 cars. Doesn't matter when you buy them. You could buy a 2019 already used and probably finance it with new rates. Used rates apply for 2018 models and older. This way you can use rates for purchase or refinance. I suspect it's based on age and mileage being low and they are competing for getting the loan. You can check Penfed, USAA, Navy Federal and see how they break out their auto loan rates. They have details on websites for public access. Generally, the credit unions still have good rates even on used cars.

Gitter

Reaction score

Correct. Late last year, I was able to refinance and get the "new" car rate for a 2018 Mazda we had had bought from the dealer the month before.

HellaHarry

Reaction score
So I just found the exact truck I want with the crew cab and 6'4" bed, I'm pretty excited about that. They seem to be rare. Is there anything I need to know that would deter me from wanting the extra bed space?

I'm torn if I should try to just work the deal with the dealership that has the truck or stuck with the one that has my deposit but doesn't seem to be budging off the 1% below invoice price.

I'm afraid if I don't get a much better deal it isn't worth driving 4 hours to get the car myself and not have a local dealership. But if they have someone interested in the truck they aren't going to sell/trade it to the local one here.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just found the exact truck I want with the crew cab and 6'4" bed, I'm pretty excited about that. They seem to be rare. Is there anything I need to know that would deter me from wanting the extra bed space?

I'm torn if I should try to just work the deal with the dealership that has the truck or stuck with the one that has my deposit but doesn't seem to be budging off the 1% below invoice price.

I'm afraid if I don't get a much better deal it isn't worth driving 4 hours to get the car myself and not have a local dealership. But if they have someone interested in the truck they aren't going to sell/trade it to the local one here.

The Crew's with 6'4" Beds are definitely pretty rare (at least out here in California). I honestly don't think there are any negatives to having the standard bed. Some might say the increased turning radius or not being able to park it in a garage would deter them or not being able to get the Ram Box, but I don't find any of those to be an issue.

The dealership that has your deposit isn't budging off the 1% below invoice because you used that corporation discount code. That IS the best you will do at that dealership...you'll just get the manufacturer rebates/incentives on top of that discount.

How much was your deposit, and are you sure you can't get it back? What' the MSRP on the Crew 6'4"? Looking at the dealership that has the truck you want, what kind of dealer discount are they showing on their website for the trucks (same trim as the truck you're wanting) they have in stock? If it's greater than say $3,500, chances are that might up being better deal than using your corporation code (I say this because the typical difference between MSRP and "Invoice" averages $3,500...granted this is all dependent on how much the MSRP is). IF you begin communicating with the other dealer that has the truck DO NOT immediately mention the corporation code you have, or else you'll find yourself in the same situation with them as far as not budging from that discount. Work with them first, and if you can't come up with a deal, then mention the corporation code.

BeemerG

Reaction score

Buy the exact truck you want, even if it is few bucks more and few hours away. This is big purchase and it is something you and your family will drive every single day for next few years. You should not settle get exactly what you want.

LaserPP

Reaction score
Don’t worry too much about the details. The reason they ask those questions is to determine if you qualify for additional FCA discounts.

I suggest you decide what you are willing to spend on the truck (total). Give them that number. How they get their is no concern of yours. Generally I’d want to be at least 18%-20% off MSRP. So your truck at $68,025 + dealer fee (not shown above) would sell around $12k-$13k off, then add taxes. But that’s me. Inventory is low and if this truck is the only truck you can find that meets your requirements, then maybe you can be OK with less of a discount.

The other thing to keep in mind is rebates are not great. A good dealer discount is $7k -$8k. To get to $12-$13k off you would need another ~$6k in rebates which isn’t happening in most places. Dealers can offer coupons to make up some of the difference. But many don’t seem desperate to move inventory.

Personally I like a great deal. But you should not feel like 10-15% off is bad either. Your truck above for like $58k is pretty good. Just watch for the fees and stuff they don’t show yet.

Thanks! Yea I offered 56K (including the rebates they showed on site), CarGurus shows a great price is 56K and that is liek 17-18% off MSRP. Dealer fees don't seem crazy, they have a cool online offer that shows them - I do need to find out the MF since I will be leasing. Manager is suppose to get back to me.

HellaHarry

Reaction score
The Crew's with 6'4" Beds are definitely pretty rare (at least out here in California). I honestly don't think there are any negatives to having the standard bed. Some might say the increased turning radius or not being able to park it in a garage would deter them or not being able to get the Ram Box, but I don't find any of those to be an issue.

The dealership that has your deposit isn't budging off the 1% below invoice because you used that corporation discount code. That IS the best you will do at that dealership...you'll just get the manufacturer rebates/incentives on top of that discount.

How much was your deposit, and are you sure you can't get it back? What' the MSRP on the Crew 6'4"? Looking at the dealership that has the truck you want, what kind of dealer discount are they showing on their website for the trucks (same trim as the truck you're wanting) they have in stock? If it's greater than say $3,500, chances are that might up being better deal than using your corporation code (I say this because the typical difference between MSRP and "Invoice" averages $3,500...granted this is all dependent on how much the MSRP is). IF you begin communicating with the other dealer that has the truck DO NOT immediately mention the corporation code you have, or else you'll find yourself in the same situation with them as far as not budging from that discount. Work with them first, and if you can't come up with a deal, then mention the corporation code.

The Deposit was 1K and in a fit of frustration with me the sales guy actually offered to give it back, I've really been haggling him on the price. I'm not too worried about the 1K, I'm pretty sure they can't keep it if I don't buy a truck. Not to mention, at this point the deposit doesn't even seem to be for any particular vehicle as I have made it clear I want to go with the Laramie which they don't have. He called a few days ago and said he had someone interested in the Big Horn (think this was a bluff), which I told him, "go sell that truck!". As I knew I wanted something different at that point.

Pricing online for the truck I want is
64,375 MSRP
11,488 Dealer Discount
52,887 Price

No mention of rebates so I'm assuming that all possible rebates are in the 11k including ones I don't qualify for.

This is a much better deal than I'm getting locally. I am at 50K plus my car valued at ~8K... However, that's the final price taxes and fees.

They have the same truck in a different color so, I called and I am waiting for a sales manager to call me back with the out the door pricing on that one. This way I don't lock up the one I want. I certainly didn't mention any corp discount or trade in this time around, lesson learned.

If I can get this truck for a fair price, I will be very happy with the configuration! It would be pretty much what I would build.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Deposit was 1K and in a fit of frustration with me the sales guy actually offered to give it back, I've really been haggling him on the price. I'm not too worried about the 1K, I'm pretty sure they can't keep it if I don't buy a truck. Not to mention, at this point the deposit doesn't even seem to be for any particular vehicle as I have made it clear I want to go with the Laramie which they don't have. He called a few days ago and said he had someone interested in the Big Horn (think this was a bluff), which I told him, "go sell that truck!". As I knew I wanted something different at that point.

Pricing online for the truck I want is
64,375 MSRP
11,488 Dealer Discount
52,887 Price

No mention of rebates so I'm assuming that all possible rebates are in the 11k including ones I don't qualify for.

This is a much better deal than I'm getting locally. I am at 50K plus my car valued at ~8K... However, that's the final price taxes and fees.

They have the same truck in a different color so, I called and I am waiting for a sales manager to call me back with the out the door pricing on that one. This way I don't lock up the one I want. I certainly didn't mention any corp discount or trade in this time around, lesson learned.

If I can get this truck for a fair price, I will be very happy with the configuration! It would be pretty much what I would build.

That is a great deal if you can get that discount. I imagine that $11,488 discount includes manufacturer rebates/incentives. Usually the website will include the fine print about what rebates are included in the discount. Even with the possible rebate situation at the new dealer, get your deposit back, and I'd go for the other truck. Forget about your corporation code, as it appears you'd be getting a better deal without it. Is the new truck a Big Horn or Laramie?

dmax4me

Reaction score

I want the Unicorn too. Crew Cab with 6'4" bed, Ecodiesel and the MFT. I've only found 4 in the nation and there not the color I want.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I want the Unicorn too. Crew Cab with 6'4" bed, Ecodiesel and the MFT. I've only found 4 in the nation and there not the color I want.

Ram has made the 6'4" Box with Rambox before in the 4th Gens as I ordered it that way for my 2014 Longhorn. Apparently, when the HDs re-design, they will bring back the 6'4" box with ramboxes but so far that may not be until the 2022 models but it's still possible for 2021s so we'll see soon enough.

Paultg

Reaction score
My only suggestion is if you plan to use a garage to keep the truck in, you might want to measure a bit and make sure the longer truck will fit.
I would also just try to deal with the dealer who has the truck you want. It doesn't sound like the other dealer with your deposit has been a great experience, and you said they already offered to give you the deposit back. Just call back and ask for it back for real this time. - Paul G.

Paultg

Reaction score
Thanks! Yea I offered 56K (including the rebates they showed on site), CarGurus shows a great price is 56K and that is liek 17-18% off MSRP. Dealer fees don't seem crazy, they have a cool online offer that shows them - I do need to find out the MF since I will be leasing. Manager is suppose to get back to me.
Awesome. Let us know how it works out! - Paul G.

Users who are viewing this thread