5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
DrStein has it right. Dealers love to negotiate. The longer they can keep your attention and interest, the better their chance to feed you more BS you might believe. Rebates and discounts and jibber jabber about their holdbacks and margins and other nickel dime stuff plays right into their hand. Keeping it simple to the price you will pay, and walk if they won’t meet it. Forget about all their rebates and discounts stuff. It’s real, for sure, but let them worry about it. It’s their job (not yours) to figure-out how to get to your price. Again, it’s just a truck. A simple capital purchase. And all the advantage is with the buyer, because there are thousands of dealers competing for your business. Just keep hunting till you find the right truck at your price. Be patient, keep working at it, and eventually you’ll score YOUR truck at YOUR price. There shouldn’t need to be much negotiation, if any at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chavez98

Reaction score
I'm I the only guy who typically negotiates to the last hundred. lol...My RAM purchase was the only purchase I didn't have to negotiate to that extent. June was a good month.

Wil P

Reaction score
Unsure why are you justifying your purchase, congratulations on getting the deal you received.

I’m simply trying to keep the validity of this thread in tact. And the FACT is that you can’t show up expecting a certain percentage off any truck they have. You need to know what the current pricing in on the trim you are looking at. A big horn and a limited/longhorn have much different incentives. You aren’t going and getting 25-30% off every longhorn or limited on the lot.

And look the post above this, “12k off is standard”. That’s a ridiculous statement. He also thinks that dealer discounts ARENT the part of the deal you are negotiating, they are STANDARD.

MSRP mInus STANDARD dealer discounts monies rebates minus NEGOTIATIONS

Dude, you are seriously smoking some stinky *** weed. My standard MY MY MY standard is $12k off. I’ve gotten on my last 3. So, that would be MY MY MY standard. So I guess if I say on a LIMITED $12k is MY standard.

Last edited:

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
It’s not difficult to think through why a dealer/migrant is much less likely to give you a quick high discount deal on a Longhorn or Limited vs a Bighorn or Laramie. If a buyer has already made the personal justification to want a Longhorn or Limited - then they have essentially already declared themselves to be buying on taste and emotion vs utility. ...an immediate light bulb for salesman. In fact, it is the core psychology behind the high end trim lines existence within a brand and model, and marketing campaigns are designed to reinforce it, and therein lays the best margin expectations for the manufacturer.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re talking to me like I’m looking for a truck. I have a truck. The purpose of this thread is to UNDERSTAND what’s happening at the dealer, not to wait for the magic deals to show up and hope you catch one.

Your advice to someone trying to buy a truck is “just keep waiting until it’s on sale”. I mean That’s great for a small percentage of people who have the time for that, but for people trying to buy a truck TODAY it’s worthless.

I’m done with this, I’ve already replied too many times as it is.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Tradesmans and Bighorns and some Laramies are for volume and the CFO’s base gross margin target. Longhorns and Limiteds are primarily there to satisfy a truck customer niche, as long as they can pull in higher margins.

ldoh

Reaction score
And the FACT is that you can’t show up expecting a certain percentage off any truck they have. You need to know what the current pricing in on the trim you are looking at. A big horn and a limited/longhorn have much different incentives. You aren’t going and getting 25-30% off every longhorn or limited on the lot.

The smart money negotiates and knows % off MSRP before setting foot on the dealer lot.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
That’s great unfortunately I’m in Sask, but may be going to T.O. In the fall... kinda wish there was a Canadian pricing price negotiated thread

I can help with this. I was working in finance at an alberta dealership. Tell me the trim level and ill tell you how much room there is in the truck.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
who is the lender with 84 months at 2%? I’ve never seen 84 months that low, ever, and rates are currently up as compared to past few years. In fact when I just looked into it at my credit union, whom is usually close to the lowest, the current rates for 60 months are 2.99% and 3.3% for 72.
If its in canada its TD, RBC or Scotia. Those are the three lenders who subvent with FCA

Brroland19

Reaction score
I can help with this. I was working in finance at an alberta dealership. Tell me the trim level and ill tell you how much room there is in the truck.

I’ve been shopping online for some 2018 leftovers and emailing with a few dealers. The only prices I’ve gotten back is a couple hundred lower than price once you figure in all the incentives....I guess no one gives serious numbers via email? I’m in the market for a 2500 crew cab (gas). But I have found some nice mega cabs. Does anyone have any insight for good pricing on a 2018 2500 mega cab or crew cab bighorn. % off that would be a good price. Thanks

drstein

Reaction score
1. You are truly a idiot!
2. I’m glad you can use a calculator dip ****. $57703. Then I negotiated another $3k. $54,703 after negotiations. Read the post. Dip ****s like you think you know it all. Oh BTW, you can stack USAA and Military. It’s all in the wording dumbass.

Wow, this is truly a idiot!!
Insulting aren't you ? YOU list the monies / rebates / you get off of MSRP and show a numbers that don't add up. Then lash out when called on it like a petulant 13 year old. Its the way you wrote it, worded it. Then when questioned, you resort to name calling. You insult SilverSurfer over MY post. You are a mess. Grow up.

drstein

Reaction score
Unsure why are you justifying your purchase, congratulations on getting the deal you received.

I’m simply trying to keep the validity of this thread in tact. And the FACT is that you can’t show up expecting a certain percentage off any truck they have. You need to know what the current pricing in on the trim you are looking at. A big horn and a limited/longhorn have much different incentives. You aren’t going and getting 25-30% off every longhorn or limited on the lot.

And look the post above this, “12k off is standard”. That’s a ridiculous statement. He also thinks that dealer discounts ARENT the part of the deal you are negotiating, they are STANDARD.

MSRP mInus STANDARD dealer discounts monies rebates minus NEGOTIATIONS

Everyone is an expert but don't question them, you will be called an "idiot" You are correct Silver but don't tell Wil P, he will call us names, something like " You are truly a idiot "

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Here is a real tip. MSRP means nothing. FCA controls these and throughout the months constantly increases it with “market supply” meaning the profit to the dealer just keeps going up because MsRP is a made up number and changes. The number you want to see is called GKRP. Ask the dealer if they will show you this number and be prepared for a bunch of back-peddling and excuses. GKRP is the real cost on the invoice. Its called “bottom left”

drstein

Reaction score
I gotta break this down for the incompetent individuals.........

Limited
Longhorn
Laramie
Minimum $12k off MSRP. is very easy to accomplish

Now if you have a lower end model, $9k is even easier to accomplish
Big Horn
SLT
Tradesman

As stated before by another incompetent individual, you don’t have to wait for “magical deals” these a deals are done every day. Find the right dealership, they will work with you. But if you go in dumb they will play you. It’s the game. Either you play and win or you just take your $4k off and be happy. But don’t dog other people when they tell you what they have accomplished. $17k off MSRP is a great deal. Just gotta know how to play the game. But the people that can’t wheel and deal. Are the ones that never believe others or have something stupid to say.
There you go again with the name calling.........

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Well said Wil P. Some people are willing to pay ‘whatever’ to get the truck they’ve fallen in love with. It is maybe more often the case than not. The dealer takes some money off a hugely margined MSRP, tells the Customer they are ‘... getting a great deal, a bunch of discounts, and rebates, and pulling teeth to get mgmt’s approval, ...”. Yada, yada, yada. All to make the Customer feel OK, and boom, a deal gets done (this is how my first inexperienced new vehicle purchase went back in 1979). The salesman and dealer are happy... making quota and lots of money, and so is the Customer most likely... getting the vehicle they have listed for. At the other spectrum are those of us in love with our hard earned money, and when we buy a truck WE run the show and declare what the acceptable price is. ...and if we walk (most often the case) and don’t get that particular truck, we are still happy, and just carry-on to the next truck and next dealer. We are willing to wait months and years if need be for the right timing and deal. My guess is that many truck buyers - that get all wrapped-up in trying to out-smart, out-knowledge the scheister dealer - waste more time ‘negotiating’ with a dealership on a truck than they do/did for their last house. But that’s OK. If it makes them happy, and gives them something to do, and they feel good when they finally buy that truck - perfect. All is good.

drstein

Reaction score
I gotta break this down for the incompetent individuals.........

Limited
Longhorn
Laramie
Minimum $12k off MSRP. is very easy to accomplish

Now if you have a lower end model, $9k is even easier to accomplish
Big Horn
SLT
Tradesman

As stated before by another incompetent individual, you don’t have to wait for “magical deals” these a deals are done every day. Find the right dealership, they will work with you. But if you go in dumb they will play you. It’s the game. Either you play and win or you just take your $4k off and be happy. But don’t dog other people when they tell you what they have accomplished. $17k off MSRP is a great deal. Just gotta know how to play the game. But the people that can’t wheel and deal. Are the ones that never believe others or have something stupid to say.
Might I ask, WHERE are you from ? Insulting and bad grammar, you are a charmer.
Well said Wil P. Some people are willing to pay ‘whatever’ to get the truck they’ve fallen in love with. It is maybe more often the case than not. The dealer takes some money off a hugely margined MSRP, tells the Customer they are ‘... getting a great deal, a bunch of discounts, and rebates, and pulling teeth to get mgmt’s approval, ...”. Yada, yada, yada. All to make the Customer feel OK, and boom, a deal gets done (this is how my first inexperienced new vehicle purchase went back in 1979). The salesman and dealer are happy... making quota and lots of money, and so is the Customer most likely... getting the vehicle they have listed for. At the other spectrum are those of us in love with our hard earned money, and when we buy a truck WE run the show and declare what the acceptable price is. ...and if we walk (most often the case) and don’t get that particular truck, we are still happy, and just carry-on to the next truck and next dealer. We are willing to wait months and years if need be for the right timing and deal. My guess is that many truck buyers - that get all wrapped-up in trying to out-smart, out-knowledge the scheister dealer - waste more time ‘negotiating’ with a dealership on a truck than they do/did for their last house. But that’s OK. If it makes them happy, and gives them something to do, and they feel good when they finally buy that truck - perfect. All is good.

Being insulting and dismissive to others is considered " Well said".......I must be getting old.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
The reality is, everyone is going to pay a different price. Some will pay more than others... maybe significantly more. But if they are OK with whatever their deal is, and they perceive the value to be worth it, then it its a ‘good deal’ for them, and no-one else should judge it. If I got $20k off my truck, but someone else got $10k... they might both be good deals in the minds of the buyer. If I did it via an experienced corporate buyer-like technique vs a one-off consumer negotiating with a salesman - that’s OK too. To each his own. It might be valuable for the one-off negotiator type buyer to know what a ‘best price’ could be, perhaps via info from this forum. But obviously not everyone is going to get that price - since it is so heavily dependent on the dealer, the truck, and the timing.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Again, the purpose of this thread is To see what others are paying. To educate future buyers on what to look for, what normal dealer discounts are, what the best dealer discounts are, what bad dealer discounts are.... as it’s the only part of the deal you control.

Sure rebates change monthly, timing is the most important part of the deal which is what you were trying to say... incorrectly. If you wait long enough, you can usually find a month where the model you want is on sale, or they have extra rebates to help you out such as bonus cash for crew cabs or trading a competitive truck.

But this thread isn’t about who paid the least, it’s about what people are currently paying and what to expect when you are buying.

Contrary to your belief, there IS actually a static formula at play in calculating the price you are going to pay for the truck. And it’s not generic percentages off. Or generic dollar amounts off.

I’d also bet a LOT of these numbers are calculated with trades, which skews the whole thing. For example, in my purchase the truck was 58k and I got a dealer discount of 5800, which is 10%. He started at 4500. But they also gave me 1k more than NADA normal trade, and about 1500 more than most the other dealers offered which put me where I wanted to be with the rebates that were happening at the time back in January. Now I know the extra money on the trade came from the extra money left in the dealer’s discount, but see I KNEW what was going on because I’ve become educated on how this process actually works. So when my OTD figure isn’t what I want, I know WHERE to look and WHY. And based on those variables, you can quickly tell if a dealer is going to be the right choice.

The trade can also go the other way, show you extra money off the truck you’re buying while lowing your trade value, which could be how some of these numbers are being inflated.

Summary:

I DID have an OTD figure I wanted to pay, but I KNEW what it should be based on the FACTS. It wasn’t magic where I just showed up expecting or saying “I’m getting 25% off” or “I’m getting 12k off”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread