5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
No pref price is employee pricing. Usually off by about 700-1000 depending in the vehicle. Many people qualify for pref as is determined by your place of employment. In canada its called “advantage plan” and you need to generate whats called a control number to be able to qualify. I an sure here is a similar plan in the USA

My company here in the US is part of the 'FCA Affiliate Rewards' which also uses a control number to bring along with you to a participating dealer. Per the reward description, "receive up to 1% below factory invoice when you purchase or lease a new U.S. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, Ram or FIAT® vehicle". Supposedly there is a special promo happening for Labor Day - I guess I'll find out when I go truck shopping this weekend.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My company here in the US is part of the 'FCA Affiliate Rewards' which also uses a control number to bring along with you to a participating dealer. Per the reward description, "receive up to 1% below factory invoice when you purchase or lease a new U.S. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, Ram or FIAT® vehicle". Supposedly there is a special promo happening for Labor Day - I guess I'll find out when I go truck shopping this weekend.

I’m curious to see how good this pricing is, if it’s in line with the 14-15% discount that some of the aggressive dealers are handing out on some of these trucks. Like this one is 15.3%

Last edited:

yZrs

Reaction score
I can help with this. I was working in finance at an alberta dealership. Tell me the trim level and ill tell you how much room there is in the truck.

I've been stalking this thread a while a while but joined the forum to participate now that there is some fresh Canadian action!

I'm in ALberta looking at a 2019 Big Horn with an MSRP of $62,600 including destination and AC tax. Dealer has an identical configuration used (employee vehicle) with 20k km on the odo and stepper bars installed listed for $42k.

Trying to figure out how much past the $10500 rebate I can expect to negotiate off up here.[/QUOTE]

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I’m curious to see how good this pricing is, if it’s in line with the 14-15% discount that some of the aggressive dealers are handing out on some of these trucks.

Not for me on a Power Wagon. MSRP $67,555 - affiliate price of $62,219, so that's actually less than 9% but doesn't include any other available rebates.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for me on a Power Wagon. MSRP $67,555 - affiliate price of $62,219, so that's actually less than 9% but doesn't include any other available rebates.

That’s my experience with all these “preferred” pricing plans, they aren’t very good. Good for someone who doesn’t want to put any effort into shopping but bad compared to what you can get. Like the truck I just posted when I edited his comment you quoted.

Although 2500 discounts are a bit different, 9% isn’t great.

yZrs

Reaction score
Up North here in Canada, Alberta. Price there is before taxes, fees, etc blah blah

What dealership? I'm in Calgary and I did a test run at a dealership that didn't have my configuration in stock and their 'best offer' was only $2K below MSRP-rebates, but I know they would have had to source the truck from another dealer.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
What dealership? I'm in Calgary and I did a test run at a dealership that didn't have my configuration in stock and their 'best offer' was only $2K below MSRP-rebates, but I know they would have had to source the truck from another dealer.
Wow, try somewhere else. I am only a few more hours south of you. I no longer work for the FCA score but ill grab some details for you. What are you wanting exactly?

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
I've been stalking this thread a while a while but joined the forum to participate now that there is some fresh Canadian action!

I'm in ALberta looking at a 2019 Big Horn with an MSRP of $62,600 including destination and AC tax. Dealer has an identical configuration used (employee vehicle) with 20k km on the odo and stepper bars installed listed for $42k.

Trying to figure out how much past the $10500 rebate I can expect to negotiate off up here.
[/QUOTE]
Current alberta program is as follows. $8500 consumer cash, pull ahead program (only for returning customers and conditions apply) this will get you a 1% rate break on subvented finance rates and a $2000 available after tax credit. Big horn has about $5000 in profit to dealer (thats if all rebates are applied to purchaser) Rates of 3.99% for 96 months. If they are at 42K on a real 62K truck, thats an offer you should buy. All said 8500+2000+5000 = $15,500 is a deal cost discount deal to the dealership meaning profit =$0 subject to kickback which is about $750 in alberta to the dealer. If you are getting 15 grand off on a bighorn you are just fine. Dont be insane or greedy. They are giving you a good deal. Push for the subvented finance program. They will try to upsell the rate for more kickback. Either that or ask for ATB or FIrst Calgary Financials 96 month hot summer promo rate.

habfan

Reaction score
No pref price is employee pricing. Usually off by about 700-1000 depending in the vehicle. Many people qualify for pref as is determined by your place of employment. In canada its called “advantage plan” and you need to generate whats called a control number to be able to qualify. I an sure here is a similar plan in the USA

Ok, good to know, thanks, so back to the original reply, how much room do you think there is in a sport package pricing?

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Ok, good to know, thanks, so back to the original reply, how much room do you think there is in a sport package pricing?
Which province are you in? That will determine the programs. Here is the simple math.
MSRP = who cares
GKRP = the real "retail value" that banks use to determine the actual booking value of the truck
PREF = dead cost of vehicle on invoice

How to know if you get a good deal.
1. MSRP - all rebates = Normal selling price (they can do better but are not required to)

A ram SPORT in canada will have about 5800 profit in it for the dealer. You cant be a greedy bastard all the time, so you need to let them make a little money. If i was the sales manager on the deal and someone wanted a truck and we were making 2000 on the front end, I would take it meaning you could potentially get
MSRP - rebates - negotiation = price - after tax rebates (currently 2000 right now) Financing is agressive as FCA is allowing for 96 months at 3.99% and bank of canada rate is 3.45 on a house, meaning thats a crazy deal on financing in this day and age in our garbage economy.

Keep in mind, the dealership has absolutely zero requirement to allow the buyer to receive the consumer cash. ZERO. Its just good practice to give your customers a good deal. Some dealers in Alberta will go MSRP down to invoice cost so lets say MSRP is 60,000 and there is 5800 profit in that before consumer cash. They show you the invoice at $54,200 and sell it to you for that. Sounds good right? WRONG. Dealer just put up to $10,500 in their pocket on consumer cash.

Does this make sense? Sorry if im speaking dealer language and its confusing just let me know.

yZrs

Reaction score
Current alberta program is as follows. $8500 consumer cash, pull ahead program (only for returning customers and conditions apply) this will get you a 1% rate break on subvented finance rates and a $2000 available after tax credit. Big horn has about $5000 in profit to dealer (thats if all rebates are applied to purchaser) Rates of 3.99% for 96 months. If they are at 42K on a real 62K truck, thats an offer you should buy. All said 8500+2000+5000 = $15,500 is a deal cost discount deal to the dealership meaning profit =$0 subject to kickback which is about $750 in alberta to the dealer. If you are getting 15 grand off on a bighorn you are just fine. Dont be insane or greedy. They are giving you a good deal. Push for the subvented finance program. They will try to upsell the rate for more kickback. Either that or ask for ATB or FIrst Calgary Financials 96 month hot summer promo rate.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, $62k is MSRP for the new truck I am looking at. The rural dealership (Camrose) that has that truck in stock also has a used equivalent (almost identical specs) posted for $42k, with 20,000km on the odometer and 16 months in service. I have not been in touch with that dealership other than to find out how much warranty was left on the used.

It's a very particular config (long box with a bench Big Horn level II) so when I went to a local Calgary dealership to test drive (a different configuration) and they found me the configuration I was looking for I know they had to factor in getting it from another dealership in their price. I'm trying to figure out what's a good dealer discount from the original Camose dealership. I figure the used one will probably come in at $40k after haggling, and if I can get the new one for $46k it's worth going new, otherwise used.

I'll be paying cash either way.

Last edited:

Superman78221

Reaction score
I’m curious to see how good this pricing is, if it’s in line with the 14-15% discount that some of the aggressive dealers are handing out on some of these trucks. Like this one is 15.3%

Stay away from Boerne Dodge at all costs. Just read a few of their yelp reviews to understand the type of scams they are running. Walked into their dealership last Monday will all intentions of buying a truck that day. Internet price does not include $5,100 in dealer add ons that cannot be negotiated down. These add ons include $800 for GPS tracking (which requires a monthly subscription to use) $1000 for cheap nerf bars, $1000 for some extra maintenance program, $500 for paint protection, $200 for wheel locks, etc. These add ons are added to every truck on the lot and do not reflect on the internet price. I believe someone else on this forum had a similar situation of the ol bait n switch.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stay away from Boerne Dodge at all costs. Just read a few of their yelp reviews to understand the type of scams they are running. Walked into their dealership last Monday will all intentions of buying a truck that day. Internet price does not include $5,100 in dealer add ons that cannot be negotiated down. These add ons include $800 for GPS tracking (which requires a monthly subscription to use) $1000 for cheap nerf bars, $1000 for some extra maintenance program, $500 for paint protection, $200 for wheel locks, etc. These add ons are added to every truck on the lot and do not reflect on the internet price. I believe someone else on this forum had a similar situation of the ol bait n switch.

Interesting, I’ve seen their decals/plates all over San Antonio and surrounding areas. But I’ve never been there, so good to know, thanks

Superman78221

Reaction score
Interesting, I’ve seen their decals/plates all over San Antonio and surrounding areas. But I’ve never been there, so good to know, thanks

I ended up going to Lonestar Dodge on the south side and picking up a Laramie Sport

MSRP 53,995
Paid 43,900 after dealer add ons of $400 that couldn’t be negotiated down any further.

Users who are viewing this thread