5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

ramhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just saw this site and joined up....I've been a member of several other Dodge truck sites but since I'm planning on getting a new Ram 1500 soon this site seems golden & I figured the best place to get some advice.

I've been out of "the game" for awhile now since I bought my last truck new (2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi) and have driven since.....don't put many miles on (93K currently on odo) and I keep it in pristine shape so should get a decent price for it when I sell it. For many years (almost 40) I've always done my own work on my vehicles but with age and wear & tear (on me!!) I'm pretty much done with all that and aside from basic oil changes will farm out any future repair work. With that in mind, some points/questions I have:

My first inclination is to lease (never have before) with the thought that I'll never again have to worry about doing my own repairs or deal on my own with such problems since the truck will always be under warranty (and due to my low mileage I'd never have to have a brake job, new tires, etc.). Yes, I know in the long run it will cost me more but I'm at a stage in my life & financially secure enough to absorb that for having that advantage & the ability to have a new truck every 3 years.

A second option is to buy it myself (or buy it out after lease) if I can get a really good deal and then add a mfg. extended warranty which I'd get the full term (8 yrs - so, 5 additional years of coverage) use of (due to no mileage concerns)....although I realize then I'd be dealing with the wear item costs, etc. - However, since in 8 years I'd have only about 50K miles on it (if that) I could sell it just as extended warranty was expiring and move on. The one thing bothering me about leasing it is I'd be giving them back a truck after 3 years with 15 -18K miles on it and little wear/pristine condition.

I know it's a "to each his own" situation but I was just looking for some different takes or opinions on what I am considering and/or what some of you would do if was you. Also, if anyone had any input as to what model I should be looking at that has the best trade off/mid ground for what I need. I know I want the 5.7 Hemi again but I;m confused as to which model gives you the best for the buck.....in reading around I think it's the Laramie edition but just wanted some info as to if there's a better option in my case. THANKS!!!

P.S. - forgot to mention towing is not a concern and not a factor in which model/package I'd be looking at.

Last edited:

yellowboy

Reaction score
Never got the whole lease thing - wasting your money month after month on something that you will never have any equity in or own. If you keep it for three years everything is covered and then get another if you are worried about repairs. Keep it for 5 and you will likely not have many issues AND at least you get some of your money back.

artu4bbk

Reaction score
Looking at a Laramie 4x2 mrsp $52k what should be my target price OTD?

ramhead

Reaction score
Never got the whole lease thing - wasting your money month after month on something that you will never have any equity in or own. If you keep it for three years everything is covered and then get another if you are worried about repairs. Keep it for 5 and you will likely not have many issues AND at least you get some of your money back.

Ergo my thought that the best option would be to buy it and take the extended warranty as insurance for the total of 8 years. Some advantages of a lease though are no money down, if truck is in an accident or totaled you are not out the money other than what you've paid already and also you get to find out within the lease term whether the specific truck you have is problem prone or a "lemon". There's always the option to buy it out after the lease which I've heard of deals being made on the back end because the dealer would rather get rid of it quickly than have it sit around on the lot or have to auction it off (although in my case my low mileage/keeping it pristine would probably work against me in trying to work a buyout deal since the dealer would be able to sell one in that condition pretty quickly and at a decent profit).

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Ok, I got my Limited today! Sweet truck and the wife likes it, so bonus!

I ended up financing $48,888 at 3.31%. Sticker price was $69,585. Pretty sure the selling price on the truck was about 15% under MSRP.

That is all inclusive, and includes a 3rd party warranty 6yr/75k, $15000 in equity from my trade, a tire warranty, and 3yr/35k maintenance, with oil changes every 5k. My wife beat up the finance guy on the warranty costs he had tied into the dealer paying down my rate from 4%. He ended up getting very close to my payment at 4%, but at the lower 3.3% APR with the extras.

I know it isn't the best deal, but apart from a pushy finance guy, the transaction was smooth and fun, and I couldn't ask for a better dealer to work with. If this truck and dealer treat me well, they know they've got a Pacifica sale coming in a year or so.

They are Criswell RAM in Gaithersburg, M.D. Salesperson was Connor Cool. He's young but knows a lot about these trucks - usually hard to find someone this knowledgeable. Tell 'em John with the silver Limited sent you.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with my truck and the deal I got on it, and so is my wife, so win-win! They also threw in 2 RAM hats (to replace my Ford ones lol) and didn't mind that I swapped out my husky mats for the stock cloth ones.

Now to go dig into the owner's manual and figure out all the bells and whistles. That's gonna take a hot minute for sure!

If anyone wants me to work a deal on their behalf or handle introductions, feel free to message me, I love working car/truck deals and have no qualms sending people their way.

John

EBradley

Reaction score
Ok, I got my Limited today! Sweet truck and the wife likes it, so bonus!

I ended up financing $48,888 at 3.31%. Sticker price was $69,585. Pretty sure the selling price on the truck was about 15% under MSRP.

That is all inclusive, and includes a 3rd party warranty 6yr/75k, $15000 in equity from my trade, a tire warranty, and 3yr/35k maintenance, with oil changes every 5k. My wife beat up the finance guy on the warranty costs he had tied into the dealer paying down my rate from 4%. He ended up getting very close to my payment at 4%, but at the lower 3.3% APR with the extras.

I know it isn't the best deal, but apart from a pushy finance guy, the transaction was smooth and fun, and I couldn't ask for a better dealer to work with. If this truck and dealer treat me well, they know they've got a Pacifica sale coming in a year or so.

They are Criswell RAM in Gaithersburg, M.D. Salesperson was Connor Cool. He's young but knows a lot about these trucks - usually hard to find someone this knowledgeable. Tell 'em John with the silver Limited sent you.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with my truck and the deal I got on it, and so is my wife, so win-win! They also threw in 2 RAM hats (to replace my Ford ones lol) and didn't mind that I swapped out my husky mats for the stock cloth ones.

Now to go dig into the owner's manual and figure out all the bells and whistles. That's gonna take a hot minute for sure!

If anyone wants me to work a deal on their behalf or handle introductions, feel free to message me, I love working car/truck deals and have no qualms sending people their way.

John
Thanks for the recommendation for a dealer. I've contacted several dealers to order a truck and have met with frustration after frustration. I can't believe how awful it has been.

I contacted Connor this morning via email and by end of business today, I have an order placed. Simple and easy process. At this point, your recommendation is holding true. Thank you!

ghost796

Reaction score
Got my Laramie Longhorn last weekend. I feel like I got a great deal as I paid less than dealer invoice. In Canada. I used pricing from Unhaggle.

MSRP: $84,010 + GST
Out the door: $65,000 + GST

Oscmon08

Reaction score
$51,450 MSRP
$5,244.36 dealer discount
$3,450 in rebates
$48,000 OTD.

Truck was ordered on 4-6-19
Located in SoCal.

Attachments

• 3E5D6ECF-3B6D-41DA-AB7C-96C8CB594EA7.jpeg
    3E5D6ECF-3B6D-41DA-AB7C-96C8CB594EA7.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 58
  • AAA809DF-A268-45B5-BED1-0559730EA1EF.jpeg
    AAA809DF-A268-45B5-BED1-0559730EA1EF.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 61
  • 5DB2072A-5F3E-4765-88D8-9AE6CB0F0CDE.jpeg
    5DB2072A-5F3E-4765-88D8-9AE6CB0F0CDE.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 60

ADJS

Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster!

If there is a different thread that is better suited for this question, please move. :)

Newbie here, moving from a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited to a (hopefully) 2019 1500 Laramie V8 4x4.

MSRP in the window is $54,705.

After reading a few pages in this thread, should I stick with the invoice cost on it? It looks as tho almost everybody seems to be able to get an average of 10K off MSRP.

Any thoughts, opinions, first time advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Stasek

Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster!

If there is a different thread that is better suited for this question, please move. :)

Newbie here, moving from a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited to a (hopefully) 2019 1500 Laramie V8 4x4.

After reading a few pages in this thread, should I stick with the invoice cost on it? It looks as tho almost everybody seems to be able to get an average of 10K off MSRP.

You should be able to get under invoice (5-6%) + whatever incentives you qualify for.

ant0064

Reaction score
MSRP was $64,410, after dealer incentives and Ram rebate I was at $56,401 so $8,209 off MSRP...then I had 2 trades (2014 Ram Express and 2010 Camaro SS) and after all that was said and done I was out the door at $19,700. Not a bad deal! At least I thought so.

ADJS

Reaction score
Good to know!

Ive been getting quoted 2K under MSRP. heh
And 5 minutes after mentioning invoice and TMV I get a call from the finance manager to "explain how leases work"... :rolleyes: did everybody else go through all this? Getting frustrating. heh

Oscmon08

Reaction score
Huh? The 12 inch display is now available on the big horn???? The online build and price gave me that option on it..Can someone confirm?

psyberai

Clinically Abnormal Attention Paid To This Truck
Reaction score
Huh? The 12 inch display is now available on the big horn???? The online build and price gave me that option on it..Can someone confirm?
Wow...yea...I just ran through the online configurator. I could definitely select the 12" display. I rebuilt the one I ordered and selected the 12" - there was only about a $400 net difference.

Oscmon08

Reaction score
This is huge since rebates on the big horn are significantly higher...And I just picked up my Laramie last week..smh

ADJS

Reaction score
final offer I was given.
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 V8 Crew Cab 5.7 box
15K miles 36 Month Lease
Retail Price: $54705
Sales Price $51005
Gross Cap Cost: $52117
Rebate: $2750
Cash Down: $1000
Net Cap Cost: $46367
Monthly Payment:$620-$635

12K miles 36 Month Lease
Retail Price: $54705
Sales Price $51005
Gross Cap Cost: $52117
Rebate: $2750
Cash Down: $1000
Net Cap Cost: $46367
Monthly Payment:$588-$603

Opinions, thoughts, concerns, ideas, backup, or firepower would be greatly appreciated. \(^__^)/

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When I was shopping during March the Big Horns were a heavier discount than the other higher trims. Not sure how it is now (May) but in March Laramies were advertised a little over $5K off MSRP and Bighorns were closer to $10K off MSRP. I'm sure things went a little up or down from there based on the individual truck but that's what I was seeing a month and a half ago.

I saw a number of Bighorns with 12" displays when I was truck shopping a couple of months ago.

Jlud

Reaction score
2019 New 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Add Trailer tow group, Level 2 equipment, 3.92 axle, and 5.7 Hemi

Sticker MSRP = 48,180
Negotiated price with USAA 1,000 rebate 34,000 plus 115 doc and registration/tax. Throwing in set of weather tech type mats as well.

Jzelbst

Reaction score
2019 New 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Add Trailer tow group, Level 2 equipment, 3.92 axle, and 5.7 Hemi

Sticker MSRP = 48,180
Negotiated price with USAA 1,000 rebate 34,000 plus 115 doc and registration/tax. Throwing in set of weather tech type mats as well.
That’s about the deal I walked out with for the same truck. Dealer here in El Paso took mine from 49,900 down to 34k with a bedcover thrown in the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread