5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I guess they just want people into a RAM period no matter the trim level. You would think they would give discounts on higher trims to entice them to upgrade so they make more...

As you can see other than the Tradesman work truck the Big Horn is the lowest cost trim. It appeals to those looking to spend less. By adding extra incentives it makes it even more attractive to that segment of buyers. Once hooked there is also lots of upgrades that can be added to get them to spend more.

1614714552248.png

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
dealer told me that the leather on the seats are different and you can only get them in the limited. Not really sure if its true or not but seems legit.

Thats correct, Limited and Longhorns have a different leather than Laramie. I think the lower trims only have leather "seating surfaces" also not full leather.
Limited/Longhorn leather is really soft, feels very high quality. The other leather is for peasants
:hide:

Jk

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
dealer told me that the leather on the seats are different and you can only get them in the limited. Not really sure if its true or not but seems legit.
The Limited and Limited Longhorn have the highest quality leather.
The Laramie and Rebel have "Leather Trim".

1614715797325.png

1614715873244.png

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen that on Laramies and Longhorns -- wow, that MSRP is higher than a Limited! That said, I haven't run the options on the Limited to prove it side by side.

It is a good exercise for a prospecting buyer to understand what makes a Limited a Limited, because many of its inclusions are options on lower trims. No matter how you build it, there are exclusive features on a Limited. The question is, whether they're worth it to you.

The one feature of a Limited I miss on my Laramie is the projector LED headlights, vs my reflector LEDs. These lights are great, compared to my 2001 Dakota. I'm really curious how much better the projector types are though. I didn't want the air suspension, so I don't miss that at all, and I'm happy not to have paid for it. Little doors over the coin and cup holders seems useless. The zebra striped trim is...just a style choice, along with the exclusive stitching. Non-functional. The wheels are a matter of taste as well. Ventilated back seats...I'll never use them, and I'm sure the standard A/C will be comfortable enough for my passengers. Those are the differences that stand out to me.

Agreed.
I didnt "need" anything on the Limited, I had a Laramie in 2019 as a loaner for a week and it had leather and the 8.4 screen and premium lights, it was super nice and drove/rode good, then I saw a Limited and the spec sheet. I love the air ride, the zebra wood, I could have done without as well as the stitching on the seats and doors. The ventilated rears ill use and I think the doors clean up the center console. I don't care for the wheels and liked the standard 20" better (may get a set at some point) but the 22"s weren't a deal killer when they finally dealed with me. My biggest issue was finding a black, 3.21 Indigo Frost 4x2, there was only 4 in Texas, 1 in LA, 1 in GA and 1 in OK. Somehow they figured out that was a desirable combination and wouldn't deal.

I had to go to my 3rd backup truck in Georgetown TX to get a deal done
When I did the build your own Laramie, it came out in the high $58K range, my Limited's msrp was 65k, I paid $51,2 ish or 54,700 OTD in July

WReckeR

Reaction score
The Laramie leather seat upgrade has Alcantara in the creases between the seat surfaces and the side bolsters. Wikipedia describes it as "Alcantara is the brand name of a common synthetic textile material. It has a soft, suede-like microfiber pile and is noted for its durability. Alcantara is commonly seen in automotive applications, as a substitute for leather and vinyl in vehicle interior trim." It does indeed feel like soft suede. Altogether, the seats look great and feel great. There is nothing cheap looking or poorly styled with the dual materials. Whether the leather itself is of a cheaper grade is hard to say.

What I can say is that when I bought mine at the end of January, there was a Limited in Minnesota (I purchased mine in SC, and I live in Indiana) with the same color and options. But, it was $5000 more and that dealer wasn't discounting as much. So...$5K was really not something I wanted to cover for questionably nicer leather, cool projector LEDs, and air suspension that gives almost no advantages and adds mechanical complexity while being exposed to midwestern winter salt. They're beautiful trucks, and I would take one if money was flowing like cheese in a nacho fountain.

Nova90

Reaction score
It has been confirmed that you can lock in most factory incentives, including both rebates and special financing. Your dealer has to be made aware of the program and willing to fill out the paperwork.

View attachment 84340
Craig Benner at Koons in Va will not complete this form to price protect on any build order. He wouldn't offer any other justification other than that's what they do for the 6% off invoice group buy. Seems lazy on their part for not willing to fill out a form that would guarantee their customer incentives available at time of order. Does completion of this form cost them anything?

Criswell (forum vendor below Koons on side panel) doesn't even respond to my build price request.

On the other end of the spectrum, Aaron at Mark Dodge has been easy to work with and would complete the price protection form. I just wish Lake Charles, LA wasn't so far away from eastern PA. I think I might just end up going that route...even though some of savings will be eaten up with shipping.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Craig Benner at Koons in Va will not complete this form to price protect on any build order. He wouldn't offer any other justification other than that's what they do for the 6% off invoice group buy. Seems lazy on their part for not willing to fill out a form that would guarantee their customer incentives available at time of order. Does completion of this form cost them anything?

Criswell (forum vendor below Koons on side panel) doesn't even respond to my build price request.

On the other end of the spectrum, Aaron at Mark Dodge has been easy to work with a would complete the price protection form. I just wish Lake Charles, LA wasn't so far away from eastern PA. I think I might just end up going that route...even though some of savings will be eaten up with shipping.

I dont think so but many have made the same complaint in this thread about Koons and Craig. I found no advantages to using them

Runagun

Reaction score

On the other end of the spectrum, Aaron at Mark Dodge has been easy to work with a would complete the price protection form. I just wish Lake Charles, LA wasn't so far away from eastern PA. I think I might just end up going that route...even though some of savings will be eaten up with shipping.
Shipping from la to northern illinois was $955. I honestly thought I could have paid in the 700 range if I wanted to wait. This was right around the freeze in houston. And prices started to rocket up.

Nova90

Reaction score
Shipping from la to northern illinois was $955. I honestly thought I could have paid in the 700 range if I wanted to wait. This was right around the freeze in houston. And prices started to rocket up.
Thanks for the info. Aaron guessed somewhere in the $1000-$1300 range for LA to north of Philadelphia in PA. I assume everything worked out ok with the shipping? It does make me a little nervous.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
It is my understanding that it doesn't cost them anything. However, "time is money" and there is also the "pain in the ***" and "learning new things" factors.
Even with that in mind it should be part of good customer service.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Aaron and Phillip seem to be the go-to guys in both pricing and customer service.

Phillip Olson, General Sales Manager at Bud Clary in Washington State
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

Aaron Ginsburgh, New Car Sales Manager at Mark Dodge in Louisiana
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 318-792-1220 (text is great)
[email protected]

RDNn2jc

Reaction score

Nova90 - I am in the Philadelphia area (western suburbs), and have reached out to Criswell (MD) also with no response. I am having trouble finding a dealer that is relatively close to work with that is offering competitive pricing. Louisiana seems pretty far.... Washington State seems insane haha. I am willing to take local inventory instead of ordering if it ticks most the boxes... buts still... the prices I have gotten from 3 local dealerships are all insane (even with an FCA Affiliate employer).

GTLimited

Reaction score
I dont think so but many have made the same complaint in this thread about Koons and Craig. I found no advantages to using them
To me, a couple advantages are a no hassle order experience, and the ability to see and test drive the truck before taking delivery.

I wouldn’t take delivery of a vehicle without doing so, so buying from afar and having it shipped is a non starter.

I ordered from Craig and confirmed their non-participation for sold order protection. Would I have looked elsewhere had I known about this beforehand? I’m not sure as the dealers in my metro NY/NJ area would’ve been a PITA do deal with overall. I’m willing to roll the dice on delivery incentives for a no haggle pricing structure and taking physical delivery at the dealer before signing the paperwork. Doesn’t hurt that my chances aren’t bad given I ordered a Bighorn.

TravisJ

Reaction score
I am getting to the point walking to Lake Charles sounds better than my current search. I inquired about a truck today and was told the price before incentives was $55,500...the MSRP of the truck was $56,100.

69Safari

Reaction score
I am getting to the point walking to Lake Charles sounds better than my current search. I inquired about a truck today and was told the price before incentives was $55,500...the MSRP of the truck was $56,100.
The closest dealer to me in Texas said the lowest they could go on a Limited was $500 below MSRP. I ordered from Mark Dodge!

Nova90

Reaction score
Nova90 - I am in the Philadelphia area (western suburbs), and have reached out to Criswell (MD) also with no response. I am having trouble finding a dealer that is relatively close to work with that is offering competitive pricing. Louisiana seems pretty far.... Washington State seems insane haha. I am willing to take local inventory instead of ordering if it ticks most the boxes... buts still... the prices I have gotten from 3 local dealerships are all insane (even with an FCA Affiliate employer).
Right, my local dealer Chapman Ram in Bucks County (where I bought my 2017 Ram) is acting like they are doing me a favor by honoring my employer FCA 1% affiliate deal. Maybe we can get a volume deal for shipping from Mark Dodge to PA :).

I have no idea why Criswell would pay site sponsorship and not actually appear to be interested in selling to members.

The knowledge shared on this site has been valuable. Thanks all!

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, my local dealer Chapman Ram in Bucks County (where I bought my 2017 Ram) is acting like they are doing me a favor by honoring my employer FCA 1% affiliate deal. Maybe we can get a volume deal for shipping from Mark Dodge to PA :).

I have no idea why Criswell would pay site sponsorship and not actually appear to be interested in selling to members.

The knowledge shared on this site has been valuable. Thanks all!

Think how many thousands of people are saving $500 on a Limited that are out driving around paying a full 10 grand more than many others here. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

L2R512

Reaction score
Thats weird - I ordered from Criswell in February. Carl got right back to me any time I emailed him. Here's the link where I found his info just in case it helps.

Nova90

Reaction score
Think how many thousands of people are saving $500 on a Limited that are out driving around paying a full 10 grand more than many others here. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Honestly, I've bought many vehicles using my employer's supplier status with manufacturers and always assumed I was getting a good deal on those transactions (although I did know about holdbacks, etc). Yes, ignorance is bliss. Did you ever make a deal with that NJ dealer? Seems like Mark Dodge is the spot.

Now, I just wish that I didn't know that I could expect a cracked and leaky rear window on my future Rebel!

Runagun

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Aaron guessed somewhere in the $1000-$1300 range for LA to north of Philadelphia in PA. I assume everything worked out ok with the shipping? It does make me a little nervous.
Yeah, thank God. Everything was perfect. Took me a lil more then a week to get the truck. Was very happy with the experience. I posted a pic of the car a few pages back.

Users who are viewing this thread