5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Runagun

Reaction score
That was the first Ram I fell in love with, Patriot Blue with Indigo/Frost. I think it's the most elegant and cosmopolitan. Like, if I wanted to step out for valet parking in front of the opera house, this would be the right truck for it. I came very close, but the dealer was too proud and really enjoyed looking at it on their lot. In fact, it's STILL there, and has been since October.
Some dealers like being parking lots and others wanna sell cars. Stay clear of parking lot dealers.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
No one has specifically said it yet, but you should stop shopping by "monthly payment" and start shopping by price of the vehicle.

Don't Ever Negotiate Based on Monthly Payments​

The biggest mistake when negotiating for a car is to focus on the monthly payments.There's nothing that will make a car salesman salivate more than a "payment buyer" - that's what they call these suckers.
Surprisingly, many car shoppers will go to a dealership and the first thing they'll ask a salesman is "Can I get this car for $500 per month?", or "Which cars can I get for $500 per month". These poor saps have no idea what's in store for them - mainly being ripped off to the extreme.

The truth is, car dealerships don't make much money on the sale of a new vehicle. Their profit usually comes from financing, trade-ins, and add-ons such as warranties and service contracts. If you're only focused on the monthly payment, the dealer can adjust the purchase price, the interest, terms on the financing, and the trade-in allowance to get you the exact monthly payment you're looking for.

The problem is, you'll get ripped off. It's easy for a dealer to get you practically any monthly payment you want - all they have to do is extend the car loan or low-ball you on the trade-in, or any number of other tricks.

Always remember one thing: You need to separate the negotiation of the car price from all the other related transactions. If you have a trade-in, you need to negotiate that separately. If you take out a car loan, you need to negotiate that separately. If you want add-ons, you need to negotiate that separately - you get the idea.

If you separate everything into its own negotiation, there's no room for the dealer to play shell games. While you should have a good idea of what your budget is, do not discuss monthly payments with a car dealer - EVER!

:)

dorocks

Reaction score
Final 2021_RAM TRKS_RAM 3500 4WD_Quote_02232021_095850 for smaller forum.jpg

Went to Phoenix to find 2021 Ram 3500 4x 4 Single Rear Drive. Very hard to find nationally. Price advertised on Web at Autonation was stuck to. They had said this pricing was contingent to using Chrysler Credit from the get-go. Honest folks. When we drove over and actually talked I told them I was not comfortable with the interest rates. And since my credit is stellar, they went local and got a better rate. I would have used my San Diego area credit union, but they did not do loans, for even new cars, bought out of state. May refinance after California title is issued.

Borsig

Reaction score
View attachment 84318

Went to Phoenix to find 2021 Ram 3500 4x 4 Single Rear Drive. Very hard to find nationally. Price advertised on Web at Autonation was stuck to. They had said this pricing was contingent to using Chrysler Credit from the get-go. Honest folks. When we drove over and actually talked I told them I was not comfortable with the interest rates. And since my credit is stellar, they went local and got a better rate. I would have used my San Diego area credit union, but they did not do loans, for even new cars, bought out of state. May refinance after California title is issued.
4.49 seems like a terrible rate.

have rates gone up that much? I can't remember ever paying more than 1.9, ever.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
$67,993 is only an 8.85% decrease of $74,600. This would not be a good percentage discount on a 1500. Maybe its okay for a 3500? Did you get any rebates on top of this?

Always have your financing preapproved before you go into the dealership so you have a number for them to beat or at least match.

You could join PenFed and refinance.

1614618934520.png

Last edited:

dorocks

Reaction score
4.49 seems like a terrible rate.

have rates gone up that much? I can't remember ever paying more than 1.9, ever.
Current rates are 3.89 % at my credit union which seems to the current going rate. They would not finance out of state purchse but after a couple months and when I get CA title. I will get a refi.

slatersan

Reaction score
I stated a qualifier, "if you are financing, that might be a terrible decision." If you and I buy identical trucks from the same dealer for the same price, but you get a 2.9% loan from your credit union and I get a 0% loan from Chrysler Capital, one of us has a better deal. And since the 0% is not out in the free market but is actually offered nationally, through Ram dealerships, from an FCA branded lender, and promoted on the Ram Trucks website, it IS a dealer incentive. You have to be able to identify which is the better deal if the 3rd party financed price is lower and the CC financed deal is a little higher because of removed rebates. It needs to be calculated. Is it a Ram offer? Of course it is. How much more of a discount would the dealer need to offer the 3rd-party-finance-rate buyer so that it was equivalent to the 0% rate? Calculate it, because that's its value.

No one is going to finance and then pay it off the next day. That's just silly and doesn't belong in your scenarios. If a buyer does intend to pay off a loan early, because he is waiting on lottery wins, or proceeds from a stock sale to become available, or for his rich dead aunt's will to be read and processed...GREAT! Obviously the total loan interest paid will be less. But that's really not the discussion I was making when I said "if you are financing, that might be a terrible decision."

The price off MSRP discussion that's regularly conducted here is absolutely fine and standardized. I have no problem with it whatsoever. Nevertheless, when choosing whether to accept 0% from Chrysler Capital, and with the intent of keeping the loan full term, interest avoided becomes a very serious consideration of which deal you accept. And yes, if your credit score disqualifies you, then price off MSRP is critical.

Good luck with your market investments. I eagerly await your offer to manage my or anyone else's nest egg with guaranteed rates of return.

Hey Chief...I said that 0% WAS an incentive. I even told you you were right about that. I also gave a qualifier...'for the informed." Not shocking you missed that. Also, lots of people here take the financing to get the $500 rebate and then pay off or refinance elsewhere. I didn't bc it's too much hassle, but to say 'nobody' does it...I'll refer you back to my qualifier.

Interest saved simply doesn't qualify as a percentage off msrp. If that is too difficult a concept to understand, please stay off the roads and kindly wash the saliva stains off the licked windows of your truck.

Last edited:

GTLimited

Reaction score
Unavailable features on Laramie are:
Technology group
Advanced Safety Group
Blind Spot

That's really interesting. I placed an order for a '21 Big Horn on 2/23 and was able to spec the XAN Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection standalone package. This is contrary to the moparinsiders article. There's been other's experience here that they've been told that it was restricted on stock vehicles, but not on sold orders....again, your experience is contrary to this second nuance as well.

What's also interesting is that things seem inconsistent as to whether rebates/incentives can be locked in at the time of ordering, or you're beholden to whatever they are at the time of delivery. For my order and dealer, I was told the latter with confirmation that I couldn't lock in the current rebates.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
What's also interesting is that things seem inconsistent as to whether rebates/incentives can be locked in at the time of ordering, or you're beholden to whatever they are at the time of delivery. For my order and dealer, I was told the latter with confirmation that I couldn't lock in the current rebates.

It has been confirmed that you can lock in most factory incentives, including both rebates and special financing. Your dealer has to be made aware of the program and willing to fill out the paperwork.

Sold Order Consumer Incentive Protection

I have just had a dealer confirmation that you can definitely lock in current incentives, including Chrysler Capital 0% financing, on factory orders. Some salesman may not know this but it is a Chrysler (FCA) program. It does require some paperwork be done by the dealership. When your truck arrives you can take whatever is better. Either the incentives from the month you ordered or the month you truck arrives. You can not mix and match however. Keep in mind that your dealer must fill out the proper paperwork to lock in. This is great news.

View attachment 83842

Here is an old 2017 post from a dealer on a Jeep forum. Once again though, I have current confirmation of incentive protection.

Price Protection
Price Protection is available on sold orders to protect the customer from price increases which occur between the vehicle order date and the KZ (invoice) date. A claim for Price Protection must meet the following criteria:
The sale must be documented by a signed and dated buyer’s order which details the agreed upon selling price at the time of order and secured by a customer’s deposit with receipts at time of order. Dealer must print and retain the Order Confirmation
Ordered new for immediate production, or selected from dealer stock orders not yet invoiced, and delivered to the original customer

Must be delivered within 14 days of the date the vehicle is received at the dealership (KZX date)
Must be delivered to the customer whose name is on the factory order and subsequent factory invoice at the documented agreed upon price at time of order
You must claim Price Protection by inserting the price protection program number on the Exception Claim Entry Screen when reporting the sale. Program numbers are in the Pricing Announcements and stored in DealerCONNECT eFiles under Sales.
Price Protection claims are made via "DealerCONNECT > Sales > Incentives Claims Processing > Incentive Claim Entry > Exception Claim Entry"
Sold Order Consumer Incentive Protection
This program protection may be available when a vehicle is sold or ordered for a customer during an incentive program and that program has expired by the time the vehicle is physically delivered. This protection is available unless stated otherwise in the Official Program Rules. A claim for sold order consumer incentive protection must meet the following criteria:
The sale must be documented by a signed and dated buyer’s order, during the program period, which details the agreed upon selling price, and secured by a customer’s deposit with receipts, at time of order. Dealer must print and retain the Order Confirmation
Ordered new for immediate production, or selected from in-transit dealer stock, and delivered to the original customer
Must be delivered within 14 days of the date the vehicle is received at the dealership (known as X date)
Must be delivered to the customer for whom the order was placed and at the originally agreed upon price at the time of order
All consumer incentives must be documented as being passed on to the customer on the buyer’s order as described in the Required Incentive Disclosure/Documentation Section
If the vehicle is delivered after the end date of the eligible program, the customer will have the choice of either the consumer programs available at the time of customer order or consumer programs at the time of vehicle delivery, but not both
The qualification date is the date the dealership and customer agree on the purchase or lease of a vehicle. The purchase/lease terms, conditions, and price of the vehicle must be clearly documented via a completed signed buyer’s order and proof of deposit/payment on the date of sale. This date can override the delivery date for incentive payment. This date protects the customer and/or dealership for any eligible incentives available at the time of sale (excluding objective-based and stair step programs). Qualification Date is also known as Sale Date
Incentive Protection claims are made by entering the Program ID and Qualification Date (in addition to delivery date) on the Exception Claim screen found via "DealerCONNECT > Sales > Incentives Claims Processing > Incentive Claim Entry > Exception Claim Entry"

1614629371782.png

Last edited:

GTLimited

Reaction score
Hmm ... what do I do to 'educate' my salesperson who insists it's up to delivery rebates?

Mind sharing if this was a confirmation from RAM? or based on a collection of some member experiences? Or is it simply a willingness of a dealers' finance dept?
DOH - just saw your second link. Deleting.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
That's really interesting. I placed an order for a '21 Big Horn on 2/23 and was able to spec the XAN Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection standalone package. This is contrary to the moparinsiders article. There's been other's experience here that they've been told that it was restricted on stock vehicles, but not on sold orders....again, your experience is contrary to this second nuance as well.

This is only a Laramie restriction from what I was told by Aaron at Mark Dodge. A Rebel I was considering was able to be ordered with all 3 items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
This is only a Laramie restriction from what I was told by Aaron at Mark Dodge. A Rebel I was considering was able to be ordered with all 3 items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t understand why they are restricting it to one model. Does not make sense.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I don’t understand why they are restricting it to one model. Does not make sense.
It could be as simple as "they have to draw the line somewhere". I remember living in a house where my neighbors across the street could get Chinese food delivered but my house was out of their delivery area.

Last edited:

GTLimited

Reaction score
It could be as simple as "they have to draw the line somewhere". I remember living in a house where my neighbors across the street could get Chinese food delivered but my house house was out of their delivery area.
And bean counters I suspect.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Last week I bought a 2021 1500 Limited MSRP was $66.5k got it for 10% off MSRP AND 0% financing which saves me another $6-7k on interest.
0% financing meant that I could not get the $2k factory rebate as it is an exclusive OR.
I live in Southern California (Orange County).
And the dealership I went to had no BS dealer markup like paint protection and theft stuff for $2k
They had exactly the truck i wanted on their lot.
I did not get the best deal but I am satisfied the deal I got.
2021 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4X4
Granite Crystal Metallic
Customer Preferred Package 27M
3.92 Rear Axle
5.7 Hemi with eTorque
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
MSRP $66,580, paid $59920 + tax and registration

DAT84

Reaction score
Welp, walked away from my dealer and their best deal on a Big Horn with everything I wanted (Night Edition with premium lighting and sunroof). They wouldn't budge on price (13% ish off MSRP with 0% for 72). With standard financing at 2.99%, even with all the additional rebates and coupons, I would have been paying another $30 more per month. Oh well, for the first time in almost 20 years, I have no car payment.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Welp, walked away from my dealer and their best deal on a Big Horn with everything I wanted (Night Edition with premium lighting and sunroof). They wouldn't budge on price (13% ish off MSRP with 0% for 72). With standard financing at 2.99%, even with all the additional rebates and coupons, I would have been paying another $30 more per month. Oh well, for the first time in almost 20 years, I have no car payment.
I think that was a smart move. Plus you never know, they may give you a call in a few weeks and be ready to deal on your terms. I had that happen a few years ago when I was looking for a used Ford F-250. Told them where i needed to be on my trade and the OTD price and they would not deal so i walked away. about 3 weeks later i get a call and they ask if i was still interested and if so they would like to close the deal! So i went down there did the deal and got them to throw in a new Yeti 110 Cooler (they were running a promotion with them on new vehicles even though i was buying used) and a full tank of gas. They fought me more on the tank of gas than the cooler! They said we dont give full tanks of gas with used vehicles.I told them i dont drive a new to me vehicle off the lot without a full tank of gas. So they filled it up and off I went. All this is to illustrate, they need us more then we need them. Make them work for your hard earned money and make them give you a good deal. If they wont another dealer will because there are plenty of them out there.

Users who are viewing this thread