5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Since im waiting for incentives to go up and am really itching for a new truck (more want than need and have no problem waiting), I'm looking over all available options. Since FCA will transition over to making 2021 models before too long, is it unreasonable to expect them to not flood the market with 2020s? Surely customer and dealership orders will be satisfied, but separate from that I don't think it would be a wise business decision to do so. We all know FCA's incentives have steadily been getting worse since March, mostly due IMO to lack of inventory and trying to maximize profit on in stock units. Flooding the market with more 2020s would only cause FCA to potentially have to heavily discount any models they don't sell. It would make more sense if they started building 21's, as they should be more sought after (potential improvements, new Uconnect system, etc.) and would not be last year's model. With that said, there is a slim chance incentives could get better in that coming months. If I were to hypothetically custom order a truck, all applicable incentives would apply at pickup. If incentives weren't to my liking and I wanted to hold out an additional month, is that a remote possibility? Do you have to take delivery of the truck as soon as it's available or can you delay a few weeks in order to see the next months incentives? At this venture, is it better to just wait for 2021 models to come out? Besides the new Uconnect, I would doubt any of the other issues with these trucks would be fixed (AC, etc.). I should Google before asking but are there any other new options worth waiting for on the 21s? Lastly, sorry for the rant. I totally envisioned myself in a new truck by now and have even contemplated other brands despite me wanting a new ram ever since the body was redesigned (over a year). I'm a bit salty and tired of waiting, but need to stay strong and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Since im waiting for incentives to go up and am really itching for a new truck (more want than need and have no problem waiting), I'm looking over all available options. Since FCA will transition over to making 2021 models before too long, is it unreasonable to expect them to not flood the market with 2020s? Surely customer and dealership orders will be satisfied, but separate from that I don't think it would be a wise business decision to do so. We all know FCA's incentives have steadily been getting worse since March, mostly due IMO to lack of inventory and trying to maximize profit on in stock units. Flooding the market with more 2020s would only cause FCA to potentially have to heavily discount any models they don't sell. It would make more sense if they started building 21's, as they should be more sought after (potential improvements, new Uconnect system, etc.) and would not be last year's model. With that said, there is a slim chance incentives could get better in that coming months. If I were to hypothetically custom order a truck, all applicable incentives would apply at pickup. If incentives weren't to my liking and I wanted to hold out an additional month, is that a remote possibility? Do you have to take delivery of the truck as soon as it's available or can you delay a few weeks in order to see the next months incentives? At this venture, is it better to just wait for 2021 models to come out? Besides the new Uconnect, I would doubt any of the other issues with these trucks would be fixed (AC, etc.). I should Google before asking but are there any other new options worth waiting for on the 21s? Lastly, sorry for the rant. I totally envisioned myself in a new truck by now and have even contemplated other brands despite me wanting a new ram ever since the body was redesigned (over a year). I'm a bit salty and tired of waiting, but need to stay strong and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Don't expect the Ucoonect 5 to be available right at switch over. They have not announced when it will happen, so expect it to be late 2021/early 2022.......

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Looks like Ram will get a plow kit and new Uconnect system with a new larger screen.

For those with the 8.4 inch screen (2020) model, is it safe to assume FCA will push an over the air update to upgrade older systems to Uconnect 5?

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Don't expect the Ucoonect 5 to be available right at switch over. They have not announced when it will happen, so expect it to be late 2021/early 2022.......
It's not a massive part of my decision making. I'm totally fine with the 8.4" screen. We have it in our Durango and it's user friendly and a good size. Would be cool to eventually get tht new software, assuming it's pushed OTA to non 2021 models.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Looks like Ram will get a plow kit and new Uconnect system with a new larger screen.

For those with the 8.4 inch screen (2020) model, is it safe to assume FCA will push an over the air update to upgrade older systems to Uconnect 5?

Is this new larger screen any different than the current 12 inch system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchrob85

Reaction score

Venom700

Reaction score

No. Reading the info online, it’s a whole new system. There is no way to upgrade. This is keeping me from ordering until Uconnect 5 is in RAMs as the updates/support for current systems will likely take a back seat.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
You make some good points about 2021s being more valuable to FCA at this point then 2020s, but I wonder if FCA has all of the parts necessary for 2020 models, let alone 2021s. If there are any mechanical changes to the 2021s, I wonder if they can't start 2021 production early, or even on time, with supply chain issues.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
You make some good points about 2021s being more valuable to FCA at this point then 2020s, but I wonder if FCA has all of the parts necessary for 2020 models, let alone 2021s. If there are any mechanical changes to the 2021s, I wonder if they can't start 2021 production early, or even on time, with supply chain issues.

This. I’m kind of in the same situation as mitchrob85. Although I’m getting to the point of needing a new one sooner rather than later with the miles I currently have on mine. I’ve been in the process of talking with multiple dealers about placing an order on a 2020 but now that I see this new system, I’m thinking just wait for the 2021. But like you said, who knows when they’ll be able to start production on them. Odd times for sure!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly! Thank you. Even something like a 2019 with $5-10,000 miles is still going to be a great deal. The whole 0% that these manufacturers have been offering is only if you pay full MSRP price....crazy!
I don't think it requires MSRP, just lose the incentives. Either way you will get upside down fast... never a good thing.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Answers to your questions/comments IMHO:
How would the last built 2020's flood the market/dealers? They aren't making very many as we speak. Likely won't be that many coming to dealers prior to 2021's being shipped.
I doubt you can hold off on picking up your truck for more than days, certainly not weeks and weeks.
LIkely some TSB's are being applied (12" screen, Uconnect surely, e-torque software maybe) however the ac hack would require a re-engineering so, doubtful.
Leaking rear stoplights, cracked rear glass all has to do with suppliers. Again, doubt that they would be remedied so soon.
I'd wait for 2021's.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
How would the last built 2020's flood the market/dealers? They aren't making very many as we speak. Likely won't be that many coming to dealers prior to 2021's being shipped.
I doubt you can hold off on picking up your truck for more than days, certainly not weeks and weeks.
LIkely some TSB's are being applied (12" screen, Uconnect surely, e-torque software maybe) however the ac hack would require a re-engineering so, doubtful.
Leaking rear stoplights, cracked rear glass all has to do with suppliers. Again, doubt that they would be remedied so soon.
I'd wait for 2021's.
Sorry if I misspoke. I was simply saying FCA has low inventory currently. They are replenishing customer and dealer orders, but probably won't go hog wild build a ton more 2020s. If they did, they would have excess inventory and might have to highly incentivize in order to move them. They appear to be in a position to keep inventory relatively low and not incentivize as much in previous years. Long story short, incentives for the remainder of 2020 might not get much better. In fact, it might be December or next march until remaining 2020s are highly discounted. With the current state of affairs (covid and now riots), that's not a given either.

Last edited:

ktl5005

Reaction score

This link says, "The new screen is 12.3 inches with up to 15 million pixels in Ultra HD..."
The size of the screen is the same as it is currently, though it will run on Android with all new hardware and software with more pixels and supposedly be faster. AKA will have the same bugs and glitches as the current system.

BeemerG

Reaction score
Or you may travel in very rural areas where there simply are no gas stations to fill up at. See Alaska and the Yukon Territory.
I traveled lower 48 and Alaska on motorcycle, all on secondary roads, never had problem finding gas station within 200 mile radius. On my Harley 6 gallon tank good for 230 miles to the tank, on the BMW 7.9 gallon 370 miles to the tank. Few nights had problem finding hotel room but never gas station.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
I'd wait for 2021's.

One comment/question about one of your statements above.......
“I doubt you can hold off on picking up your truck for more than days, certainly not weeks and weeks.”

I have already ordered a truck through Koons in DC. I live in Georgia. However I plan to go on a vacation for 2 weeks near the time the truck “may“ get delivered to the dealer. So if I am out of town, on the west side of the country on vacation, you don’t think the dealer would hold onto my truck till I can get there? We have already agreed to the price plus rebates etc. in writing. It is a SOLD vehicle in my mind. Do you think they would sell it out from under me and keep the deposit? There is nothing in writing that says I must pick up the truck within a certain amount of days or weeks from arrival to the dealership before I lose my deposit and the rights to the truck. I agree if it’s more than a couple of weeks then they would probably have a stronger leg to stand on (unless the person was in the hospital for Covid19 or some other good reason). Thoughts?

ktl5005

Reaction score
One comment/question about one of your statements above.......
“I doubt you can hold off on picking up your truck for more than days, certainly not weeks and weeks.”

I have already ordered a truck through Koons in DC. I live in Georgia. However I plan to go on a vacation for 2 weeks near the time the truck “may“ get delivered to the dealer. So if I am out of town, on the west side of the country on vacation, you don’t think the dealer would hold onto my truck till I can get there? We have already agreed to the price plus rebates etc. in writing. It is a SOLD vehicle in my mind. Do you think they would sell it out from under me and keep the deposit? There is nothing in writing that says I must pick up the truck within a certain amount of days or weeks from arrival to the dealership before I lose my deposit and the rights to the truck. I agree if it’s more than a couple of weeks then they would probably have a stronger leg to stand on (unless the person was in the hospital for Covid19 or some other good reason). Thoughts?
No they can't. It is in contract with you, that VIN is on contract with you that truck is yours

TexasAggie02

Reaction score
This. I’m kind of in the same situation as mitchrob85. Although I’m getting to the point of needing a new one sooner rather than later with the miles I currently have on mine. I’ve been in the process of talking with multiple dealers about placing an order on a 2020 but now that I see this new system, I’m thinking just wait for the 2021. But like you said, who knows when they’ll be able to start production on them. Odd times for sure!

I'm new here and in the same situation. I know what options I want and have been trying to order from a Houston-area dealer for the last month. Every single one seems to expect me to sign off on a truck at MSRP without any dealer discounts. As much as I want to order now and have a new truck sometime this summer, I might as well hold out for the 2021s. Maybe dealers will be more inclined to place orders at that point.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
I'm new here and in the same situation. I know what options I want and have been trying to order from a Houston-area dealer for the last month. Every single one seems to expect me to sign off on a truck at MSRP without any dealer discounts. As much as I want to order now and have a new truck sometime this summer, I might as well hold out for the 2021s. Maybe dealers will be more inclined to place orders at that point.

Same here. Every single one I’ve checked with is giving me MSRP. I tell them that’s crazy and then tell them I’m a member of an FCA Affiliate and get that discount. They will honor that but nothing more. It’s very aggravating seeing the deals people were getting before all this but I get it. We’re in odd times. I’m still kicking myself for not buying in April. Saw many good deals then and was hoping for the same or better in May for Memorial Day but the good deals are gone for sure. I’m still considering building a 2020 but now with more info coming out on the 2021’s I’m thinking about just waiting and ordering one of them.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
No they can't. It is in contract with you, that VIN is on contract with you that truck is yours

It's your's for 15 days after it's invoiced upon arrival at the dealership. If you locked any incentives at the time of order, they are also good for only 15 days after the truck arrives. I've ordered before and was able to negotiate an additional $500 because I knew the College Grad bonus was about to be added and my truck arrived on the 17th of the month so the 15 days carried me into the next month. The dealer agreed to give me an additional $500 off before I took delivery because they wanted to make sure they booked the sale at the end of the month it arrived.

Bottom line it's not actually sold until you buy it (pay for it). They HAVE to hold it for 15 days after they receive it and if you don't finalize the transaction by then, they can sell it to whomever they want.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score

GM is the only one giving decent incentives right now ($6000 rebates on AT4s and Denali Sierras in TX) as Ram's are just terrible my experience has been dealer's only willing to go about $7K off sticker with dealer discounts but then want to tack on $2K BS "protection packages" so if you're intent on a Ram.....just wait.

Users who are viewing this thread