5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Paultg

Reaction score
Heminator, after reading your post yesterday, I googled this and could not find the answer anywhere. Not doubting you but I would like to see where that is in writing. This is my first time for ordering a new vehicle. I want to know my rights in case I am gone when it comes in. I‘m sure some dealers will try to put pressure on you when it comes in to say you only have 3 days to pick it up for example. Thanks for yours and anyone else’s input on this. I am sure this will help more than just me.
Does your paperwork not indicate the information? I would read all the documents you signed to place the order. Its a contract. It should be a Purchase / Sales agreement. Whatever it says in those documents is what needs to be followed. - Paul G.

Paultg

Reaction score
i 100% agree this forum has really cool members... in my 2 yrs haven't even come close to running across ONE fool here : ) ...Can't say THAT about any place on line these days....

Next, i would say if you REALLY have given it enough thought and are willing to have a new truck with the older body style, before you pull the trigger on a 2019 classic, look around for a super low milege 4th gen and i will bet you could prolly find a great deal on a 2018 loaded Laramie and i'm sure it would easily meet or beat the price a new 2019 classic would cost you....
Thanks. Leather isn't important to me so I haven't been focusing on Laramie trucks. I only went to the step #2 option because they include the items I do want and are easier to find. I have leather in a current vehicle, took very good care of it, treated it regularly, stored vehicle out of the sun much of the time, and am only 140 lbs. My driver seat side/bottom has split above the adjustment controls. Pretty annoying. Vehicle is 7 years old. I don't have kids or anything either. Vehicle looks pretty much new with 115K miles otherwise. So I sort of want to just go back to heater seats / cloth. The truck will probably be outside most its life (don't think it will fit in my carport) so I fear the leather will become difficult to maintain. Again if I found the correct truck and it has leather, I wouldn't skip it though.

blizzisu

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Laramie coming up on the end of it's lease. I've been trying to lease a 2020 Laramie and dealers don't seem to interested in even responding while negotiating. Going to try another dealer a couple hours away today.

Is this a realistic target purchase price?

• 2020 Laramie 4x4 5'7" Crew Cab 5.7l eTorque
  • MSRP: $63,170
  • Dealer Discount: -$9,000
  • Incentives: -$2,750
  • Purchase Price: $51,420

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
All those waiting for 2021's, reality is orders for them likely won't be opened up until later summer (july/august) and won't start arriving on dealer lots until mid fall. So far the only real change noted for the 2021 model is the UConnect 5 system. With that said, it is a brand new system so expect the same glitches/crap with it as some are currently having with the current system. And with that said, every year there will always be something newer and greater in terms of technology. I am happy with my 2019 Limited and have no plans on trading for at least 4-5 years when they do a mid cycle refresh.

My thinking is why not just wait for the 2021’s due to the fact that dealers aren’t budging on pricing on the 2020’s right now and the incentives suck. Best price I can get is 1% below invoice with the Affiliate pricing. They won’t budge below that. Some dealers won’t even respond to me and some have stopped responding. That’s as low as I can get plus whatever rebates will be available the month it’s delivered. So my thoughts are just wait for the 2021’s and hope for better incentives then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeemerG

Reaction score
Ok, looking for some more guidance. Thanks in advance as this forum has been wonderful and everyone is so polite.
My search has taken a bit of a turn.
  1. Started at 5.7L no etorque 4WD 1500 CC/SB Big Horn Lv2 with LED lamps and bed group. Low $50-$53k MSRP and hoping for a low $40s buy price. Hard to find the right truck around here.
  2. Then said I’ll just look for 5.7L no etorque 4WD 1500 CC/SB Laramie Lv1 with bed group since it’s the same truck with heat/cool Leather & blind spot. More trucks available but most have more adds and with current pricing it’s hard to be under $45k.
  3. So I started looking into 2019 1500 Big Horn Classics. I have found quite a few new trucks still available. CB / SB with 5.7l and option package w/heated seat group. Comes with F/R park sense, bed lamps, power fold mirrors, 8.4” screen. All the stuff I want. MSRP is $49k. I am seeing prices in the $35ks to start. This truck checks off my “wants” and I think I’m more interested in the “deal” than the new gen cab. Mechanically it’s pretty much the same correct? I don’t mind the looks one bit.​
I’m assuming a year ago a good buy on a $49k MSRP Classic was ~$40k ish.
What do you think the right buy for a brand new one today?
I’m tempted to see If I can get it closer to $32k, or maybe just see if the dealer will include/install trailer brake, remote start, all weather mats, and do the linex bed treatment. That will cost me $1300-$1500, can’t cost them nearly as much.

I’m waiting for my credit union loan check to show up.
Once I have it I can pretty much go somewhere and make an offer.

Thoughts?
Ps: which forum do I post in if I purchase a classic?
I don't know where you are, dealer here in NJ called Dover Chrystler Jeep Dodge and Ram has 305 Big Horn different variations in stock. My neighbor just bought one MSRP was 55 and change he paid 39 and change plus tax and tags.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Heminator, after reading your post yesterday, I googled this and could not find the answer anywhere. Not doubting you but I would like to see where that is in writing. This is my first time for ordering a new vehicle. I want to know my rights in case I am gone when it comes in. I‘m sure some dealers will try to put pressure on you when it comes in to say you only have 3 days to pick it up for example. Thanks for yours and anyone else’s input on this. I am sure this will help more than just me.

No worries. This is from actual experience but I got the information back in 2014 from the incentive center. 1-800-227-0757; Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm EST.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this forum,
looking to purchase 2020 ram limited v8/ without etorque I had a dealer price me at $54297 and then tell me they added a protection plan which bring the price to $57297.
I told him I didn't want it and he said it standard.
What shall I do?
Msrp on the truck is $68025

Walk. Whatever they're trying to force you to buy as an add-on is pure profit or at least 95% plus. That changes the dynamics of the "deal". It's a trick they play. They show you a BS low price and then say it's real but tack on $3k in garbage which now effectively reduces the deal by that amount.

Personal example: Back in the middle of April, I started negotiation on a Limited that had everything but the MFT. The dealer offered $9907 in dealer discount with no add ons. I didn't do the deal because the trade offer was too low and I really wanted the MFT and didn't want to settle. Fast foward...the same dealer last week had a truck I simply asked about that had a $9405 dealer discount and the quote he sent me back included a $1999 "protection package". They were worried back in April and now with low inventory they know they have the upper hand. I'd walk if I were you if they won't take that off.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
All those waiting for 2021's, reality is orders for them likely won't be opened up until later summer (july/august) and won't start arriving on dealer lots until mid fall. So far the only real change noted for the 2021 model is the UConnect 5 system. With that said, it is a brand new system so expect the same glitches/crap with it as some are currently having with the current system. And with that said, every year there will always be something newer and greater in terms of technology. I am happy with my 2019 Limited and have no plans on trading for at least 4-5 years when they do a mid cycle refresh.

They'll open up orders in early July and they'll start arriving August/September time-frame as usual. I would advise those to wait for 2021s at this point because the price you're paying for 2020s is the same you'll pay for 2021s because they've already increased the base prices on all trims...look it up. In addition, the Uconnect 5 has significant advantages over the Uconnect 4 so while if you bought in 2019 I wouldn't trade up for that, if you're still debating at this stage of the game, you're better off waiting for the 2021s and the 2020s have terrible incentives that don't come close to covering the fact you're immediately buying a one-year old vehicle once the 2021s start production.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Laramie coming up on the end of it's lease. I've been trying to lease a 2020 Laramie and dealers don't seem to interested in even responding while negotiating. Going to try another dealer a couple hours away today.

It's 19% off MSRP. Dealer discount is good but be sure they're not tacking on bs fees for protection packages etc. that are 2-3K. Also, ensure you are good with buying a 2020 at the very end of the model year because you'll take a bigger deprecation hit in a month when 2021s start being produced. At the end of the day, if it's the truck you want and you're happy with the price, then it's a good deal to YOU.

Last edited:

BeemerG

Reaction score
I hope incentives for July and August will be better since rail yards are opening up after Covid 19. It seems rail and shipping terminals are start releasing vehicles slowly. I was passing by few dealer yesterday saw car haulers making delivery of new cars and truck.

Paultg

Reaction score
I don't know where you are, dealer here in NJ called Dover Chrystler Jeep Dodge and Ram has 305 Big Horn different variations in stock. My neighbor just bought one MSRP was 55 and change he paid 39 and change plus tax and tags.
I'm in NH, but have family in NJ (grew up in Central Jersey). It's frustrating up here, dealers barely call you back, and when they do the price online is low and the price on the phone is thousands higher. Maybe I should just wait. I have the time. The leftover Gen 5 2020s will eventually be less money, and otherwise leftover 2019 1500 Classics will be even more discounted. Knowing the deals folks have already been successful with I'm not really willing to buy unless a Gen5 is close to 20% off MSRP, and a Classic if its 35-40% off MSRP.
Your neighbors deal seems insane, it's like 30% off MSRP!

blizzisu

Reaction score
It's 19% off MSPR. Dealer discount is good but be sure they're not tacking on bs fees for protection packages etc. that are 2-3K. Also, ensure you are good with buying a 2020 at the very end of the model year because you'll take a bigger deprecation hit in a month when 2021s start being produced. At the end of the day, if it's the truck you want and you're happy with the price, then it's a good deal to YOU.

I got a much better deal back in 2017, but realize I probably can't get the same deal today. Am I being too agressive in what I'm asking for, or is 19% off still leaving room for the dealer to make some money and accept my offer?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Thanks. Leather isn't important to me so I haven't been focusing on Laramie trucks. I only went to the step #2 option because they include the items I do want and are easier to find. I have leather in a current vehicle, took very good care of it, treated it regularly, stored vehicle out of the sun much of the time, and am only 140 lbs. My driver seat side/bottom has split above the adjustment controls. Pretty annoying. Vehicle is 7 years old. I don't have kids or anything either. Vehicle looks pretty much new with 115K miles otherwise. So I sort of want to just go back to heater seats / cloth. The truck will probably be outside most its life (don't think it will fit in my carport) so I fear the leather will become difficult to maintain. Again if I found the correct truck and it has leather, I wouldn't skip it though.
Hey Paul!
While leather is nice, its not really why i suggested the 4th Gen Laramie Pkg to you... Standard options even in a 2018 Laramie Level 1 group include much nicer grille/headlights/taillights/proximity key-remote start/navagation etc etc ... the list really goes on & on : ) So if your ok with last gen's body style AND you can find a nice low milege model, you really can't do better value for your dollar than a 4th gen Laramie vs a 2019 5th gen Classic....

Last edited:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I got a much better deal back in 2017, but realize I probably can't get the same deal today. Am I being too agressive in what I'm asking for, or is 19% off still leaving room for the dealer to make some money and accept my offer?

No there is most definitely still meat on the bone at 19% off it’s just a matter of wether the dealer will budge. $9000 dealer discount (if real and no add ons to offset that) is the second highest I have seen myself. Difference being that the $9000 and $9907 dealer discounts I saw when I attempted to engage were on Limiteds over $70K MSRP. One low balled my trade ($9907) and the other ($9000) threw on a bs $1999 protection pkg so I said nope.

CaptLiteBeerd

Reaction score
2020 Ram limited 1500, night edition, level 1 equipment group, 33gal tank, ram box, 5.7L non etorque. MSRP 70, paid 64k. 67k OTD no additional dealer add ons or packages.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's 19% off MSPR. Dealer discount is good but be sure they're not tacking on bs fees for protection packages etc. that are 2-3K. Also, ensure you are good with buying a 2020 at the very end of the model year because you'll take a bigger deprecation hit in a month when 2021s start being produced. At the end of the day, if it's the truck you want and you're happy with the price, then it's a good deal to YOU.
I got 18% off MSRP when I bought my truck last year (dealer discount + FCA incentives). Some have gotten more and some have gotten less.

It was a good deal for me - it had all the "must have" options I wanted, was the color I wanted, and was in the budget range I had. I also made sure there were no added fees (I declined all the extras - GPS tracking, extended warranty, etc.) and only had tax, title, and document fees after we agreed on the price.

Would I have liked to be one of the lucky ones to get a Laramie for 25%+ below MSRP? Yes. Am I happy with what I got? Definitely. I could have got a Laramie but wouldn't have been able to get all the options I wanted (too much cost and I had to pick from dealer stock since my vehicle was totaled). As Heminator said, if you're happy with it then it's a good deal to you and that's what matters.

Over a year later (and 28K+ miles) and I still get a smile on my face when I walk out to my driveway and see my truck. Even with 7 visits to the dealership for warranty work I still love it. It is the best of the 1/2 tons for what I wanted. Nothing else was close.

Last edited:

TexasAggie02

Reaction score
GM is the only one giving decent incentives right now ($6000 rebates on AT4s and Denali Sierras in TX) as Ram's are just terrible my experience has been dealer's only willing to go about $7K off sticker with dealer discounts but then want to tack on $2K BS "protection packages" so if you're intent on a Ram.....just wait.

I'll likely be waiting.

Hawk123456

Reaction score
Still seeing if anyone knows if you can combine both the USAA and The PenFed rebates. Thanks.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys new to this forum,
looking to purchase 2020 ram limited v8/ without etorque I had a dealer price me at $54297 and then tell me they added a protection plan which bring the price to $57297.
I told him I didn't want it and he said it standard.
What shall I do?
Msrp on the truck is $68025
Walk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 Ram limited 1500, night edition, level 1 equipment group, 33gal tank, ram box, 5.7L non etorque. MSRP 70, paid 64k. 67k OTD no additional dealer add ons or packages.
(Edited)That‘s ok for today’s (this month’s) limited (ha ha) selections. 2x4? That high of an msrp sounds like 4x4. If so, that was good enough, especially if it had what you wanted. You got some good options with the (spendy) level 1, 33 gallon tank, night edition, ram boxes... probably a few more hiding in there too. Now you’re driving, not wishing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online