5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

keyser soze

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently own a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie with 76k. The dealer initially offered me 20k then raised it to 22k when I walked off the lot. Since I have been back and forth with the dealer on a 2020 Laramie crew with off road pkg. The MSRP is 56,280. Right now they have thrown in $7700 in dealer incentives and 5k in rebates but I have to finance through Chrysler capitol to receive the rebates. At 12,700 off. I would go the incentive route if i had flexibility to shop the rate. I was quoted 2.89% from local credit union: However I know it won’t be that low through Chrysler. First, what are your thoughts where they are dealer discount wise? Second should I go incentives and take loan through Chrysler or forgo and take 0%? Third should I just wait it out for a month or two? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The easiest to comment on is in taking the full incentives vs 0% financing. That is strictly a math equation which you can analyze by punching numbers into a loan calculator.

In general, depending on the term, even at sub 3%, total interest will exceed $2000....therefore i think that the best finance offer I've seen advertised is the 0% 60 months which require giving up about $2,000 in rebates/incentives.

Personally I've been targeting the 2019 1500 Classic's with EcoDiesel primarily because they carry the biggest factory incentives and secondary because they are older inventory and dealers may also be more motivated to deal those. I'll be posting the deal i'll be closing on Friday separately.

Are they as nice as the 2020's ? That's debatable. Are they 10-15k nicer? Not to me.

Best of luck !!

keyser soze

Reaction score
Just wanted to come on here to thank everyone who posts and offers advice. I've been doing quite a bit of due diligence and it looks like I'll be closing a deal on Friday (details to follow).

I'll be compromising quite a bit, but at the end of the day I'm sure I'll be happy regardless. I had been targeting 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Laramies. My preference was 4x4 and Rambox. I had a deal for one on 3/31 and was at the dealership doing paperwork, @ $34,225 with FCA financing ($38,100 out the door, $53825 MSRP)) when the dealership received a call, kicked everyone out, and closed the doors due to an order to shut down. The next day they did away with all dealer discounts and the price went up by nearly $10k, so i passed.

Fast forward to today....after some back and forth I've accepted an offer at a dealer 250 miles away on a 2019 1500 Classic, EcoDiesel Laramie 4x2 and NO rambox.

MSRP $47,845
Net Cost $30,639.10 with dealer discounts and full incentives

3117.37 tax
711.75 lic
85 doc
$ 34,553.23 out the door.

I'm leaning on passing up $2,000 in incentives and taking the 0% 60 month option. The best rate i've seen up here in Northern California has been roughly 2.5%...so it's pretty close.

Thanks again to everyone who posts and comments. It's been a big help.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So guys I was able to get the dealership to go from a $55,200 MSRP on a loaded Big Horn to $46,000 and with the 0% interest deal. I am probably going to take it since that is around 17% off MSRP from just dealership fees. I reached out to a couple of other local dealers to see if they could beat it, but you think that is a good deal to pull the trigger on?
That is a very good deal for a dealer discount. That said, Big Horns depreciate quickest so 17% off is not much. I would not even consider one less than 27% off. Unless you need the truck now, wait until rebates are better and refinance a month or two after (should be able to get 2.5% or better for 60-72 months with good credit).

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently own a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie with 76k. The dealer initially offered me 20k then raised it to 22k when I walked off the lot. Since I have been back and forth with the dealer on a 2020 Laramie crew with off road pkg. The MSRP is 56,280. Right now they have thrown in $7700 in dealer incentives and 5k in rebates but I have to finance through Chrysler capitol to receive the rebates. At 12,700 off. I would go the incentive route if i had flexibility to shop the rate. I was quoted 2.89% from local credit union: However I know it won’t be that low through Chrysler. First, what are your thoughts where they are dealer discount wise? Second should I go incentives and take loan through Chrysler or forgo and take 0%? Third should I just wait it out for a month or two? Thanks in advance for any advice.
That is an OK dealer discount, 13.6%. Not outstanding but you are not getting ripped off. I plan to wait until 3rd or 4th week of June and see what deal I can get on a fairly stripped Larimie. Last half of the month for what will be an abysmal quarter. Last June factory incentives were great, hopefully they will be again. Otherwise I will wait until Dec if the deal I want is not there in June. I will be looking for 15% off MSRP dealer discount, and 30% off MSRP at least including rebates (including conquest and PenFed), and KBB on trade (2018 f150). If they won't do it I will wait.

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
So I put down a $1k deposit on a Longhorn two weeks ago and the plan was to buy it today. I received a call just before noon telling me that the owner of the dealership sold it to a buddy because he wasn’t aware that I had a deposit on it.

They found a very similar truck (same color, same primary features, etc) in Idaho and its on the way and expected to be ready by M/T of next week. It actually has a slightly higher MSRP due to having the painted bumper package and the bed utility option. They have obviously agreed to eat the cost on those. The things that are missing are not that important to me (3:92 gears, tow package with the oversized side views), so I’m likely going to take the replacement.

My question to this group is what should I ask for to make this right? I see the deposit as a two way commitment, and they would not have shown me any sympathy if I needed to back out for some reason. I recognize that they found a replacement that is pretty much like for like, but I also had plans for the truck as early as this weekend.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you be asking for? A straight reduction in the cost is obviously the most ideal, but I’m curious if there are other things people would recommend.

The old "we can breach a contract but you can't" scenario. To me that sounds like some "they found someone else to pay a lot more for the truck" BS.

So it's OK for the dealership owner to blow off his company's legal responsibilities and unprofessionally disregard his company's standard operating procedures to sell a vehicle off the lot to his "buddy" without first checking to see if that vehicle is optioned or sold to someone else. I mean this is not a dinette set or a washing machine. These are cars, which have their own set of specific laws governing the sale, use and protection of, a kin to "horse thievery is a hangin' o-ffense 'round here pilgrim".

But as you said, if your grandma needed an emergency kidney transplant, you'd either have to drive around in a brand new truck looking for a discount kidney for granny or eat the $1000 deposit.

I guess it comes down to how much you want the truck vs. how hard you push for something in return. The way I see it, you have now have additional leverage over the dealer other than the ability to walk way since, technically, they are in breach of contract. Unless on your deposit write up/contract it gives them the option to sell to another party for some reason and return your money.

It also depends on if they know or not that you're not all broken up about the sold truck having 3:92 gears ($87 -invoice) and the tow package ($409) vs. the new truck missing those options but having the BUG ($368) and painted bumper ($179) options. That's only a $51 difference to the dealer. Not to mention you already had plans for the new truck. Your time is worth something.

In addition to eating the cost for the gigantic price difference, I'd float the idea of knocking the $1000 deposit from the price (or go down to a minimum of $500). You could mention they screwed up and they need to make it right. You can always just ask. Again, it depends on how much you're willing to push vs. loosing that particular truck. Some would go as far as additionally asking for some free synthetic oil changes and/or services. Yelling at the top of your lungs in the showroom, in front of other customers, "WE HAD A SIGNED DEAL!" and "I HAD PLANS FOR THAT TRUCK THIS WEEKEND!" would also be a nice touch.

And make sure the Finance desk doesn't re-add it back when writing it up or that they don't add it back with some BS dealer options or outrageous doc fee.

Esneaky

Reaction score
Awesome forum and awesome thread you guys have here. Looking to join the family soon, was wondering if you guys have experience leasing, can I apply same logic of discount off msrp in a lease? And obviously plug into calculator depending on residual and money factor that month.
Do you think the lease rates/incentives will be more aggressive may or June vs this month ?

Want to get a 2020 Laramie 4x2 with a lot of options close to 60k truck. Would a truck like that be possible to be had in lows 500s for a lease or maybe even high 400s? Or am I asking for too much

ramfanatic

Reaction score
I would take the $5k in rebates. You only get the maximum benefit from the 0% 84 month deal is if you keep the truck for the entire length of the loan. Do you really think you'll have the truck for 8 years? Personally I wouldn't want a car loan that long even at 0%. Take the Chrysler Capital financing to get the additional rebate and refinance after a few payments, that way the dealer will still get their kickback from Chrysler Capital. If you refinanced 43K @ 2.89% for 60 months the interest is $3233, 72 months $3887, and that's if you kept the truck for the entire length of the loan. So you're better off taking the 5K. And you really don't know how long you"ll keep the truck. Like me, you may get bit with the new car bug after a couple of years and that 0% loan would be an even less benefit. As far as the trade goes, do yourself a favor and take the truck to Carmax to get an offer. The offer is good for 7 days. That way you know if the dealer is giving a fair offer. Just bear in mind when you trade in your vehicle you would have a sales tax savings. Depending on the sales tax rate in your state it could be substantial. Just do the math and figure out what is best. I'm not sure but you might be able to get the 0%-36 month loan from Chrysler and STILL get the $5k in rebates. And if the payment on the 36 month loan is too high just refinance a longer term at 2.89%. Good luck.

ramfanatic

Reaction score
Just wanted to come on here to thank everyone who posts and offers advice. I've been doing quite a bit of due diligence and it looks like I'll be closing a deal on Friday (details to follow).

I'll be compromising quite a bit, but at the end of the day I'm sure I'll be happy regardless. I had been targeting 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel Laramies. My preference was 4x4 and Rambox. I had a deal for one on 3/31 and was at the dealership doing paperwork, @ $34,225 with FCA financing ($38,100 out the door, $53825 MSRP)) when the dealership received a call, kicked everyone out, and closed the doors due to an order to shut down. The next day they did away with all dealer discounts and the price went up by nearly $10k, so i passed.

Fast forward to today....after some back and forth I've accepted an offer at a dealer 250 miles away on a 2019 1500 Classic, EcoDiesel Laramie 4x2 and NO rambox.

MSRP $47,845
Net Cost $30,639.10 with dealer discounts and full incentives

3117.37 tax
711.75 lic
85 doc
$ 34,553.23 out the door.

I'm leaning on passing up $2,000 in incentives and taking the 0% 60 month option. The best rate i've seen up here in Northern California has been roughly 2.5%...so it's pretty close.

Thanks again to everyone who posts and comments. It's been a big help.
That's a great deal. I didn't know they offered the Laramie trim in a classic.

slapthatplank

Reaction score
It seems that if you finance thru CC, the interest rate won't be that great. I think I was initially quoted around 6%, and my credit rating is around 850. What you can do though, is refinance after 4 payments to your credit union. You might pay a couple of hundred additional in interest, but then you'd qualify for the 5k in rebates.
I did the 84/0% since we did the math and figured we only had to make 1.5% annually on our money to offset the loss of rebates. Something else to consider. It might be tough making 1.5% this year or even next, but 2022 and onwards should be easy to make 10%+.

Big Ballers

Reaction score
That is an OK dealer discount, 13.6%. Not outstanding but you are not getting ripped off. I plan to wait until 3rd or 4th week of June and see what deal I can get on a fairly stripped Larimie. Last half of the month for what will be an abysmal quarter. Last June factory incentives were great, hopefully they will be again. Otherwise I will wait until Dec if the deal I want is not there in June. I will be looking for 15% off MSRP dealer discount, and 30% off MSRP at least including rebates (including conquest and PenFed), and KBB on trade (2018 f150). If they won't do it I will wait.
Thanks for the input, and I appreciate everyone’s insight. I went in first thing this morning and spoke with the salesman again. I was originally told I could build the truck if I so chose, and it wouldn’t change things, so I did, to my exact specs omitting anything on the one at their lot I didn’t want. It came in cheaper. Then the salesman began to backtrack a bit. Said the dealer discount number presented was only good for the one in stock.
For a bit of background, I am in a relatively small town about an hour north of KC, so I have access to dealers in the city as well. I know the owner personally, as we are on many of the same community organizations together. He is a booster and I am the head football coach at a very successful University here in town. I try not to play that card if I don’t have to. All of the people in the building know who I am. In addition I have several former players in the car business , but I try to support local whenever fiscally possible for political reasons.
The salesman shifted back to the stock truck. I told him I didn’t like the number and didn’t want to be confined to the Chrysler loan when I knew I could secure a better rate elsewhere. Then the sales manager comes over... he is the only new guy in the dealership.. we have met a couple of times. He told me that he had been back and forth with the owner and the owner was questioning the deal for on my behalf,, stating that “it didn’t make sense” but he was trying to “help me out”, based on who I am. Said the price they were offering was the absolute bottom line, and there was no way they would go lower. I politely said I understood, and that I would just wait to see what happens in the next couple of months. Explained I have no need to make a deal, and my truck is in perfect condition. He told me he doubted that the deals would get any better, and I told him that was a chance I was willing to take.
Just then the owner walks in. He walks right over to me and begins a conversation. I could see the sales manager beginning to look nervous. Within seconds he scurried away. I visited with the owner for about 10 minutes. He asked how things were going and I told him fine, but I may be waiting a bit to consider my options.
At that point I got a phone call from a recruit I had to take so I excused myself and went to my truck. I could see through the glass as I sat in my vehicle the owner become very animated with the salesman and sales manager. Within the hour the salesman just left me a message asking if we were close and to throw him a number. The owner wants me in his vehicle. We have discussed this many times and I have always bought from this dealership. So now my question is what number do you guys suggest I throw? MSRP is 56280. They knocked off 7750. Ad you stated that’s 13.6%. Appreciate the help guys, it’s a bit more difficult to negotiate when you have personal relationships with all of these people, but at the same time I am looking for a great deal or no deal at all. I don’t want to regret leaving money on the table in two months. Sorry for the long post.

Big Ballers

Reaction score
I would take the $5k in rebates. You only get the maximum benefit from the 0% 84 month deal is if you keep the truck for the entire length of the loan. Do you really think you'll have the truck for 8 years? Personally I wouldn't want a car loan that long even at 0%. Take the Chrysler Capital financing to get the additional rebate and refinance after a few payments, that way the dealer will still get their kickback from Chrysler Capital. If you refinanced 43K @ 2.89% for 60 months the interest is $3233, 72 months $3887, and that's if you kept the truck for the entire length of the loan. So you're better off taking the 5K. And you really don't know how long you"ll keep the truck. Like me, you may get bit with the new car bug after a couple of years and that 0% loan would be an even less benefit. As far as the trade goes, do yourself a favor and take the truck to Carmax to get an offer. The offer is good for 7 days. That way you know if the dealer is giving a fair offer. Just bear in mind when you trade in your vehicle you would have a sales tax savings. Depending on the sales tax rate in your state it could be substantial. Just do the math and figure out what is best. I'm not sure but you might be able to get the 0%-36 month loan from Chrysler and STILL get the $5k in rebates. And if the payment on the 36 month loan is too high just refinance a longer term at 2.89%. Good luck.
Appreciate your reply. Hadn’t thought about just switching the loan after a few months, and allowing the dealer to get a kickback. Agree with your thoughts on loan term completely. 7 years is a long time. Exactly the amount of time I have driven my current vehicle. And you may be right in the fact that I could very well get the new car bug. My hang up was on the idea that I knew if I took the incentives that the apr would not be competitive with what I could get elsewhere. Your solution is spot on. Now help me throw them a number. The only option the truck doesn’t have is running boards. I know I can get them negotiated into the deal. What percentage off would you ask for in dealer discounts? Thanks in advance

Ninjabros

Reaction score
Appreciate your reply. Hadn’t thought about just switching the loan after a few months, and allowing the dealer to get a kickback. Agree with your thoughts on loan term completely. 7 years is a long time. Exactly the amount of time I have driven my current vehicle. And you may be right in the fact that I could very well get the new car bug. My hang up was on the idea that I knew if I took the incentives that the apr would not be competitive with what I could get elsewhere. Your solution is spot on. Now help me throw them a number. The only option the truck doesn’t have is running boards. I know I can get them negotiated into the deal. What percentage off would you ask for in dealer discounts? Thanks in advance
Im in the same boat. Im in KC and working with a dealer and Im at 38,150 with a trade in (2500-3000), MSRP 52,450. From what Ive seen on here 27% off msrp at least is what I should be looking at on a big horn. with that in mind, That gets me to 38,289 before trade. I told them "35,700 you have my number" and walked out the door. that was about a week ago and have not heard back. But there is still time till the end of the month. Im in no rush so I can wait out their games. Its also a built to serve edition in gator green. Does not look like many people like that color. I actually love the color. Ball is in their court now.

Im also going not going with 0@84. I have a nice size down payment to put on it and plan on refinancing after a few payments depending on the rate they give me. (excellent credit)

Last edited:

Big Ballers

Reaction score
Im in the same boat. Im in KC and working with a dealer and Im at 38,150 with a trade in (2500-3000), MSRP 52,450. From what Ive seen on here 27% off msrp at least is what I should be looking at on a big horn. with that in mind, That gets me to 38,289 before trade. I told them "35,700 you have my number" and walked out the door. that was about a week ago and have not heard back. But there is still time till the end of the month. Im in no rush so I can wait out their games. Its also a built to serve edition in gator green. Does not look like many people like that color. I actually love the color. Ball is in their court now.

Im also going not going with 0@84. I have a nice size down payment to put on it and plan on refinancing after a few payments depending on the rate they give me. (excellent credit)
Mine is a Laramie with off road pkg. happen to know the magic percentage off MSRP on that? Sounds like you have a good situation, color isn’t mainstream for most but exactly what you are looking for. All I know is trucks aren’t moving, at least up here, and the longer we wait the better the chance they will deal. Especially with unemployment numbers I saw this morning!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, and I appreciate everyone’s insight. I went in first thing this morning and spoke with the salesman again. I was originally told I could build the truck if I so chose, and it wouldn’t change things, so I did, to my exact specs omitting anything on the one at their lot I didn’t want. It came in cheaper. Then the salesman began to backtrack a bit. Said the dealer discount number presented was only good for the one in stock.

So now my question is what number do you guys suggest I throw? MSRP is 56280. They knocked off 7750. Ad you stated that’s 13.6%. Appreciate the help guys, it’s a bit more difficult to negotiate when you have personal relationships with all of these people, but at the same time I am looking for a great deal or no deal at all. I don’t want to regret leaving money on the table in two months. Sorry for the long post.
You can take Chrysler financing for the rebates then refinance later, you should be able to get 2.5% or better for at least 60 months (Navy Federal, if you qualify by yourself of anyone in your immediate family ever having been in any armed service, is 72 at 2.29% right now). The dealer gets a kickback on financing if you keep the loan at least 3 months (that is the way it is with Ford, Chrysler may be the same or may be a month or so longer or shorter). Your time is worth something and they've used up a lot of your time so far. Plus the truck on the lot has things you don't really want, but are none-the-less part of the price. If it were me, I'd offer 18% off MSRP dealer discount and say you'll finance through Chrysler and keep the loan long enough for them to get their kickback. Part of the problem is your OTD price including rebates, and right now rebates are pretty bad.

Ninjabros

Reaction score
My dealer is at 6% dealer discount without rebates. I think I made the mistake of trying to be straight up with them and went in with a ram affiliate code and that 1% under invoice is the dealer discount they are giving me.

plankthetank

Reaction score

Out here in Texas, my dealer won't go below 47148 with an MSRP of 53610 for the built to serve edition. That is about 12% off MSRP. How are you getting that low? Seriously, about to go to GA to make a purchase. And out here, dealers keep trying to add addendums, like factory tinted glass, and nitrogen filled tires for and extra 4300.

Brutus

Reaction score
Been tracking the forum for awhile and appreciate the collective wisdom. Thinking about pulling the trigger on this deal and would welcome any feedback.

2020 1500 Limited: 5’7” box, 4x4, Hemi w/o etorque, Level 1 equipment, 22” wheels, sunroof, other...

$68,665 msrp
$10,046 dealer discount (14.6%)
$4,000 incentive (0% APR for 36 months)
$54,619 before TTL (20.5% off msrp)

Strife

Reaction score
How did I do? Might be picking this up on Saturday.

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

5'7" box, hemi w/ etorque, 4x4, customer preferred package z27, level 2 equipment, blind spot and cross pass detection, trailer brake controller

0% over 60 financing

1587684530069.png

Hopefully going to get them to remove the nitro and OCP charge....

Dramrod

Reaction score
For a bit of background, I am in a relatively small town about an hour north of KC, so I have access to dealers in the city as well. I know the owner personally, as we are on many of the same community organizations together. He is a booster and I am the head football coach at a very successful University here in town. I try not to play that card if I don’t have to. All of the people in the building know who I am. In addition I have several former players in the car business , but I try to support local whenever fiscally possible for political reasons.
The salesman shifted back to the stock truck. I told him I didn’t like the number and didn’t want to be confined to the Chrysler loan when I knew I could secure a better rate elsewhere. Then the sales manager comes over... he is the only new guy in the dealership.. we have met a couple of times. He told me that he had been back and forth with the owner and the owner was questioning the deal for on my behalf,, stating that “it didn’t make sense” but he was trying to “help me out”, based on who I am. Said the price they were offering was the absolute bottom line, and there was no way they would go lower. I politely said I understood, and that I would just wait to see what happens in the next couple of months. Explained I have no need to make a deal, and my truck is in perfect condition. He told me he doubted that the deals would get any better, and I told him that was a chance I was willing to take.
Just then the owner walks in. He walks right over to me and begins a conversation. I could see the sales manager beginning to look nervous. Within seconds he scurried away. I visited with the owner for about 10 minutes. He asked how things were going and I told him fine, but I may be waiting a bit to consider my options.
At that point I got a phone call from a recruit I had to take so I excused myself and went to my truck. I could see through the glass as I sat in my vehicle the owner become very animated with the salesman and sales manager. Within the hour the salesman just left me a message asking if we were close and to throw him a number. The owner wants me in his vehicle. We have discussed this many times and I have always bought from this dealership. So now my question is what number do you guys suggest I throw? MSRP is 56280. They knocked off 7750. Ad you stated that’s 13.6%. Appreciate the help guys, it’s a bit more difficult to negotiate when you have personal relationships with all of these people, but at the same time I am looking for a great deal or no deal at all. I don’t want to regret leaving money on the table in two months. Sorry for the long post.
If it’s a Big Horn $42000 Is what I’d offer. Laramie, $43250.

If you qualify for rebates (Usaa, penfed, etc? Take an additional $1k plus off. I’m eyeballing this one now https://www.heritagechryslerjeepdod...Mills+MD-674c35d80a0e0ae823c005a3014d998b.htm

Users who are viewing this thread