5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

wpm1960

Reaction score
The fact that they're forcing you to pay through them is a bad sign. You know what the offer is, go to a real bank or credit union with better APR (most likely) and go back.

Just my 0.02c
I didn't even want to finance, just pay cash but I would loose rebates if I don't go through them with some financing. He said I can make a large first payment and figure the balance for the next 6 and not pay much interest in the end. The hoops they make you jump through.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't even want to finance, just pay cash but I would loose rebates if I don't go through them with some financing. He said I can make a large first payment and figure the balance for the next 6 and not pay much interest in the end. The hoops they make you jump through.

I've never seen an auto loan with an early payoff penalty. He probably loses his commission on the financing if you don't make at least 7 payments.

I would ask him to show you in the contract where it states you have to make payments for at least 7 months. If it's not in the contract I would tell him okay I'll make payments for 7 months. Then do the deal and just pay it off right away. Worst case it might cost you a few hundred to save a few thousand.

klail

Reaction score
Here is the deal I am looking at:
2019 Big Horn
Hemi V8
Premium Speakers and Sub
Blind Spot Detection
Big Horn Level 2 Equipment
Sunroof
Lighting Group
Sport Appearance Package
20" Wheels
Brake controller and rubber mats thrown in by dealer.
MSRP: $50700
Discount: $5500
Rebates: $6500
Trade-in: $10800 (Fair)
$27900 Total, Just under $31,000 OTD
Only hitch is I have to finance the full amount through them for a minimum of 7 months before I can payoff. Don't know rate yet but my credit score is excellent. They did say I can pay as much extra per payment as I want thereby reducing the total interest I pay over the 7 months. What do you all think?
They may say you have to finance it for the full 7 months but if they do not specifically mention a prepayment penalty, they are just blowing smoke. Most dealerships want you to keep it for that long but generally it is not legally binding. Just a way for them to make some of there money back. My dealer said the same thing but when I read the truth in lending disclosure it specifically stated no prepayment penalty shall be imposed. Refinanced it a week later for 1.95 instead of 4.66%. Just read the disclosure to be sure.

ADJS

Reaction score
Up next on is the price right! :)

Different vehicle, different dealership.

MSRP $59,455
Sale Price: $51,935
Rebates and incentives: $3,500

36 month 15K miles lease is 550 with 1114 due at signing or 582 with nothing down.

It was a demo and has 4800 miles on it, which does eat into the lease miles I was told.

Seems like a good deal to me but...

Deal/no deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kisame

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in California lookikg for a longhorn. So far I have seen few dealers offering $9500 off of Msrp on all long horn. I am wondering if it’s possible to bring it down anymore than this? I tried few dealerships they are al quite hesitant. I am trying my best to get $50k OTD deal. Possible??

Also if you Can recommend me good dealers that can work with prices and let me m ow how much you get your
Long horn for and did you like it,,

Thanks

agjr85

Reaction score
Hi All

2019 Laramie Longhorn 4x2 with almost every option. (Level 1, Advn. Safety, Pano, Hemi...)
MSRP: $61,855
Rebate: $4000
Discount: $9,856
Sales Price: $47,999 (plus TT&L)

Purchase Date: 5/21/2019

jb772

Reaction score
Local dealer quoted me $56,235 (MSRP) and $52,741 (Factory Whole Sale) prices for a 2019 Big Horn and said they would do $3,000 off as a rebate to bring the total to $49,741 - does this seem high or should I shoot for a better deal?

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Local dealer quoted me $56,235 (MSRP) and $52,741 (Factory Whole Sale) prices for a 2019 Big Horn and said they would do $3,000 off as a rebate to bring the total to $49,741 - does this seem high or should I shoot for a better deal?

Super high.

My MSRP was $57,405 on up optioned Laramie
I got it for $49K in dealer negotiations before rebate. About $45K after rebates plus TTL

woolfski

Reaction score
Sounds like they receive a kickback on the financing,

agjr85

Reaction score

Must be 4x4 and fully decked out for it to be that high.
Check my post and how much I paid for a Longhorn.

jb772

Reaction score
Must be 4x4 and fully decked out for it to be that high.
Check my post and how much I paid for a Longhorn.

It is, 5'7 Crew cab 4x4, Anti spin diff, Premium LED, 12" Display, Rambox, Tow package, Cross path detection, Front/Rear parking sensors, Bed liner, Panoramic sunroof.

Jlud

Reaction score
Many dealers make as much on financing a certain vehicle than they do the vehicle itself. Ask the employees...my bet is a local bank or credit union buys them all lunches on the weekend for taking business their way, and they jack the points up a bit to make more on it. That’s fine, it’s just business and if people are happy with it what does it matter?

As mentioned can also move that loan over anytime unless you sign some sort of secondary agreement stating you will keep it. In those cases, the dealer may get an amount from a bank and they pass that discount or part of it to you. If you don’t keep it long enough, they lose that money from that bank...so in some ways it’s somewhat fair in that situation.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Super high.

My MSRP was $57,405 on up optioned Laramie
I got it for $49K in dealer negotiations before rebate. About $45K after rebates plus TTL

Man, you got me jealous.

Retail Price - $57,575

Savings - $4,500

Selling Price - $53,075

Rebates - $6,000
**learned that you pay tax on rebates, so negotiate better savings!

Options (add-on we forgot earlier) - $1,299
**I suppose that changes the MSRP, so my numbers might seem confusing

Sub-total - $48,374

Net Sales Price (after fees and tax) - $52,481.18

Saved $6,396 INCLUDING tax off of MSRP. Got $10,500 off of MSRP from the get-go.

Last edited:

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x2

MSRP : $50,750

Price after rebates/Discount: $38750 (Immediate $12,000 in discounts before negotiating)

Additional discounts negotiated: $1750

All in price: $37,000

Financed around $39,000 after warranty/gap add ons.

Memorial Day sales/rebates helped knock things down. I saw others posting that dealers said they had to finance through Chrysler and keep the loan for 7 months...that is a lie. You can lose partial rebate by not financing it through them, but there is no time limit. My finance guy asked me to keep the loan open for 4 months to keep them from getting some sort of chargeback because I fully plan to refinance it throuch my credit union for a much better rate/loan term.

wpm1960

Reaction score
They may say you have to finance it for the full 7 months but if they do not specifically mention a prepayment penalty, they are just blowing smoke. Most dealerships want you to keep it for that long but generally it is not legally binding. Just a way for them to make some of there money back. My dealer said the same thing but when I read the truth in lending disclosure it specifically stated no prepayment penalty shall be imposed. Refinanced it a week later for 1.95 instead of 4.66%. Just read the disclosure to be sure.
You were absolutely right. Once I got to the dealer the finance guy kept changing the length of time required before I could pay it off. Once I looked at the paperwork it clearly stated "No prepayment penalty." Will pay it off as soon as I get the first statement.

Jlud

Reaction score
So finally did pull the trigger, changed truck a bit from earlier post and didn’t get as far down as some in Texas but I’m in Seattle area and didn’t want to fly or drive far.

Financed through Chrysler, USAA 1,000 rebate

MSRP = 49,775

Price paid = 35,448

Total discount = 14,327

Feel good about it for this area, no far drives.

Big horn, long box, 4x4, crew cab, level 2, granite crystal, trailer tow, North Edition, 3.92, Hemi

Deriggs007

Reaction score
It is, 5'7 Crew cab 4x4, Anti spin diff, Premium LED, 12" Display, Rambox, Tow package, Cross path detection, Front/Rear parking sensors, Bed liner, Panoramic sunroof.

Way too high.
Man, you got me jealous.

Retail Price - $57,575

Savings - $4,500

Selling Price - $53,075

Rebates - $6,000
**learned that you pay tax on rebates, so negotiate better savings!

Options (add-on we forgot earlier) - $1,299
**I suppose that changes the MSRP, so my numbers might seem confusing

Sub-total - $48,374

Net Sales Price (after fees and tax) - $52,481.18

Saved $6,396 INCLUDING tax off of MSRP. Got $10,500 off of MSRP from the get-go.

Yeah I got you beat by a few thousand. My payment after everything came at about $51K after I even rolled roughly $3K into price to payoff rest of my lease. I think your dealership could had moved your rebates into down payment, you sure you pay taxes on that? I thought it comes right off the top.

B

brbnova

So finally did pull the trigger, changed truck a bit from earlier post and didn’t get as far down as some in Texas but I’m in Seattle area and didn’t want to fly or drive far.

Financed through Chrysler, USAA 1,000 rebate

MSRP = 49,775

Price paid = 35,448

Total discount = 14,327

Feel good about it for this area, no far drives.

Big horn, long box, 4x4, crew cab, level 2, granite crystal, trailer tow, North Edition, 3.92, Hemi
Out The Door?

Users who are viewing this thread