5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jlud

Reaction score
Only adds were a 150 doc fee, registration and license, and the fricking super high tax of 9.3%. So for apples d to apples only thing to compare would be the extra 150.

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m a brand new truck buyer and I have never driven a truck or a Ram before but I’m purchasing my first one very soon. Just wanted to search up some feed back on if you think this is a good deal or not.

I’m in Atlanta, GA

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Crew cab
4x4
5.7L V8
Tradesman level 1 equipment group
MSRP: $44,515
Dealer rebates: $9000
Negotiated discount: $2000
Sale price: $33,515
I’ve got a trade in valued at $3000 so my amount financing would be roughly $30,515.

Wanted your thoughts if this is average or can I do better? Not well versed with how Rams are selling.

Thanks

Cravenschild

Reaction score
You were absolutely right. Once I got to the dealer the finance guy kept changing the length of time required before I could pay it off. Once I looked at the paperwork it clearly stated "No prepayment penalty." Will pay it off as soon as I get the first statement.

They say that because they get some sort of a "charge back" if the loan isn't open for certain amounts of time. My finance guy asked if I could keep the loan for 4-months so they wouldn't, but Chrysler isn't exactly handing out premium rates unless you have a perfect credit score.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m a brand new truck buyer and I have never driven a truck or a Ram before but I’m purchasing my first one very soon. Just wanted to search up some feed back on if you think this is a good deal or not.

I’m in Atlanta, GA

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Crew cab
4x4
5.7L V8
Tradesman level 1 equipment group
MSRP: $44,515
Dealer rebates: $9000
Negotiated discount: $2000
Sale price: $33,515
I’ve got a trade in valued at $3000 so my amount financing would be roughly $30,515.

Wanted your thoughts if this is average or can I do better? Not well versed with how Rams are selling.

Thanks

What dealer are you going to? I live in the Atlanta area and I went to Palmer Dodge in Roswell. Offering 12K in discounts on all trucks before negotiating even starts. Depending on what you want you could get a Big Horn instead of Tradesman for $35,665 before even negotiating as long as you finance with Chrysler. I got a pretty loaded out Big Horn for $37,000 (MSRP was $50,070) once all discounts/rebate/negotiations were done.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
What dealer are you going to? I live in the Atlanta area and I went to Palmer Dodge in Roswell. Offering 12K in discounts on all trucks before negotiating even starts. Depending on what you want you could get a Big Horn instead of Tradesman for $35,665 before even negotiating as long as you finance with Chrysler. I got a pretty loaded out Big Horn for $37,000 (MSRP was $50,070) once all discounts/rebate/negotiations were done.
^^^ is GREAT advice--- A tradesman is ONLY good for a company truck it is as NO FRILLS as they come... NOT as a FIRST truck, NOT as a "Personal" vehicle....A tradesman even when adding just a few options comes out to the "least equipped" Big Horn / Lone Star + or minus just a handful of cash.... If you add even a couple of options, ur wayyyy better off getting a Level 1 Big Horn, and if u can find the RIGHT deal (maybe one that is alittle "odd bird" that isn't selling off the lot becuz the dealer equipped it "quirky" For example he put a pano roof on a Level 1, or he added a rambox, or it has 18 inch wheels on a Level 2 (easily upgradeable on ur own) things ppl usually won't want when they are "bargain shopping : ) you could EVEN find a Level 2 Big Horn/Lone Star for almost same price after all the discounts if you search LONG & HARD enough : )

When shopping, LOOK at the vin#'s... ANYTHING that starts KN5+++++ is going to get you the BEST deal, as it has probably been on their floor plan and they have been paying interest on it since DAY ONE and it needs to SELL!!!!

My goto move is to ALWAYS leave telling them, i'll pray on it & get back to you. (and that is after they have ALREADY lowered price & bumped trade from initial offer : ) When asked what would make you "buy right now", i always hit them AT LEAST 1000 more for trade & 1000 reduced selling price ... On the higher priced trucks, i double that : )

Last edited:
Reaction score

I was checking out Don Jackson Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat in Union City.

I would appreciate all the advice you can give me, $35,655 would be a great price for a higher model big horn than what I am seeing off their website. Could you PM me the details of your deal/negotiation for the $37,000 big horn? Want to know what rebates and discounts are already available in the Georgia/ATL area.

Reaction score
^^^ is GREAT advice--- A tradesman is ONLY good for a company truck it is as NO FRILLS as they come... NOT as a FIRST truck, NOT as a "Personal" vehicle....A tradesman even when adding just a few options comes out to the "least equipped" Big Horn / Lone Star + or minus just a handful of cash.... If you add even a couple of options, ur wayyyy better off getting a Level 1 Big Horn, and if u can find the RIGHT deal (maybe one that is alittle "odd bird" that isn't selling off the lot becuz the dealer equipped it "quirky" For example he put a pano roof on a Level 1, or he added a rambox, or it has 18 inch wheels on a Level 2 (easily upgradeable on ur own) things ppl usually won't want when they are "bargain shopping : ) you could EVEN find a Level 2 Big Horn/Lone Star for almost same price after all the discounts if you search LONG & HARD enough : )

When shopping, LOOK at the vin#'s... ANYTHING that starts KN5+++++ is going to get you the BEST deal, as it has probably been on their floor plan and they have been paying interest on it since DAY ONE and it needs to SELL!!!!

My goto move is to ALWAYS leave telling them, i'll pray on it & get back to you. (and that is after they have ALREADY lowered price & bumped trade from initial offer : ) When asked what would make you "buy right now", i always hit them AT LEAST 1000 more for trade & 1000 reduced selling price ... On the higher priced trucks, i double that : )

Really helpful advice, I had no idea about the KN5 vins... I'll start looking at that. I wanted the big horn initially but did not want to spend over $40,000 for one. My price point is right around $30-38k MAX

ramhead

Reaction score
Anyone in NJ have out the door prices they are getting/seeing on 2019 Big Horn 4WD, 5.7 hemis ?? Please also post where you are getting the deals.

Also, have they stopped taking individual factory orders by now??

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Way too high.

Yeah I got you beat by a few thousand. My payment after everything came at about $51K after I even rolled roughly $3K into price to payoff rest of my lease. I think your dealership could had moved your rebates into down payment, you sure you pay taxes on that? I thought it comes right off the top.

Moved the rebates into the downpayment? What is that about?
And yes. $420 is 7% of $6,000 in rebates and the sales tax was $420 higher than I had anticipated. I pointed this out after doing the math by hand and he elaborated. Shady stuff but I caught it. Did not help me much, as I still feel Northgate Ram in Cincinnati did not appreciate or respect my business as much as they should have. Told him from the start Title would be held by my LLC and last minute they tell me the extended warranty goes from $2,600 to $4,800 for a “commercial warranty” due to the business owning the truck. That is not included in the math I had described previously, as I just learned this today.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Really helpful advice, I had no idea about the KN5 vins... I'll start looking at that. I wanted the big horn initially but did not want to spend over $40,000 for one. My price point is right around $30-38k MAX

Very welcome : ) Also the older builds cost approx 500-1500 less depending on Trim Level since had a price increase on all models/options mid year : )

The discounts he's giving you seem GREAT, trade amount seems fair since its ALL "cash down" but i don't know what you're trading so i can't 100% say) but the problem is the vehicle you're choosing. ONCE again, the newness of the truck will were off fairly quick, ESPECIALLY if you visit the forums often and you will WISH you went with the higher end of your budget to get some EXTRAS. (Especially REMOTE start : ) Personally, i think Level 1 Lonestar with ZERO extra added options (not a 33 gallon tank, side steps, bed Pkg, tow pkg, or heaven forbid 12 inch Nav : )might be doable with a "hungry enough" dealer : )

I know its hard to "take your time" BUT there are SUCH good deals out there right now, ya gotta either "look to find one" OR "turn an OK deal into an AMAZING deal" by some serious negotiating...Let them make it up on the next customer : ) : )

I would look for a Level Level 1 with 3.92 axle & remote start option, should sticker for approx 49 and it is conceivable with the RIGHT deal you could get your price. I worked you up a quick sample, i also am pricing right now so i just subbed what your looking for into my equation : ) i just type "2019 Big Horn level 1 3.92 4x4 your city/state" in google search and a bunch will come up : )

In the sample i provided, i know being 3000 apart from his price might seem like "whoa" he'll never do that, but trust me, the total of only 7300 off MSRP is not that great, i've easily seen Big Horns being discounted 10-12,000, its not unheard of, and like i said, if he's hungry enuf.... Try going last day of month, they usually "starving" by then...lol

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
That dealer thinks you’re a chump. Terrible price.

9,000 is over 20% discounted off sticker, that isn't a bad price at all....i just think he could get an even BETTER deal on a MORE equipped unit....don't forget, the lesser the MSRP the LESS room they have to discount it....The ppl here with 15,000 off are on MUCH higher priced trucks : )

Last edited:

jastevenson

Reaction score
9,000 is over 20% discounted off sticker, that isn't a bad price at all....i just think he could get an even BETTER deal on a MORE equipped unit....

Yeah, but his dealer discount is tiny, it's just that he qualifies for a ton of rebates that makes the deal semi-ok. But the dealer is throwing him crumbs.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Yeah, but his dealer discount is tiny, it's just that he qualifies for a ton of rebates that makes the deal semi-ok. But the dealer is throwing him crumbs.

Yeah perhaps but maybe its just the way that NewRamBuyer broke it down or you could be right, and dealer didn't discount it enuf. But i have never seen ANYONE qualify for $9,000 in rebates, but there's always a FIRST time : )

Cravenschild

Reaction score
I was checking out Don Jackson Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat in Union City.

I would appreciate all the advice you can give me, $35,655 would be a great price for a higher model big horn than what I am seeing off their website. Could you PM me the details of your deal/negotiation for the $37,000 big horn? Want to know what rebates and discounts are already available in the Georgia/ATL area.

I don't really like them. They didn't communicate well before I bought at Palmer, and one of them called me after I bought at Palmer and proceeded to cut me off and hang up on me when I told him I had already purchased. Every other dealer that has called has congratulated me and told me to come in any time for service, but they were a bit rude. Palmer had good discounts and a hell of a deal on the Big Horns, and so did Hayes in Lawrenceville. Palmer knocked a $50,070 truck down to $38750 before we even started talking.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
NewRamBuyer243 this is an exact match to what I bought from them. Depending on your trade in and cash down situation you could easily walk out the door in the $38,000 range.

I made my salesman (Jim Miller) guarantee via email that the $12,000 wasn't some gimmick to get me to the lot. I told him if it was all negotiations would cease and I would walk off the lot. They didn't know they were the only dealer within 250 miles that had the truck I wanted. He guaranteed that as long as I financed with Chrysler those discounts were valid. I financed with them, and will refinance it here in a month or so before my first payment hits. I talked them down further beyond that point. They did their sales crap, and the last thing I did was cut the out the door price by like $1000-1200, scratched their number out, wrote my lower number on the paper and signed it. Told them that price or I will keep my car and go home. One failed attempt to get me to budge by offering a lower interest rate later they told me they were gonna start washing up my truck.

Reaction score
NewRamBuyer243 this is an exact match to what I bought from them. Depending on your trade in and cash down situation you could easily walk out the door in the $38,000 range.

I made my salesman (Jim Miller) guarantee via email that the $12,000 wasn't some gimmick to get me to the lot. I told him if it was all negotiations would cease and I would walk off the lot. They didn't know they were the only dealer within 250 miles that had the truck I wanted. He guaranteed that as long as I financed with Chrysler those discounts were valid. I financed with them, and will refinance it here in a month or so before my first payment hits. I talked them down further beyond that point. They did their sales crap, and the last thing I did was cut the out the door price by like $1000-1200, scratched their number out, wrote my lower number on the paper and signed it. Told them that price or I will keep my car and go home. One failed attempt to get me to budge by offering a lower interest rate later they told me they were gonna start washing up my truck.

Great to know that the discount can be locked in before I even enter the dealership.

I'm looking at these three trucks right now

two from hayes and one from palmer. The one from Palmer has the additional spray-in bed liner and premium lighting group. I am leaning towards the level two package but how much better is it compared to the level 1?

So I am active duty military, I initially needed a truck to travel around work since occasionally my time now will be spent driving to work and occasionally on dirt roads or through slightly wooded trails to training areas/firing ranges. I can't take my sedan anymore because it can't handle any wet dirt trails or mud hence the economic reason for switching to a truck. I love the new RAM appearance which is I'm sold on the truck.

For the Palmer one I'm looking to negotiate it down from $38,050 to atleast $36,050 and add in my cash trade in of $3000 which should bring me right around $33,050 financing. Is that doable?

For the one from Hayes, I'm looking to bring it down from $34,910 to $32,000 and add my trade in of $3000 to right at $29,000 before taxes and fees.

Thoughts? So far I'm glad I found this forum before making my decision. Helpful advice all around

GuSRomero

Reaction score
For my 2019 1500 Bighorn:
MSRP $41580
Discount $5851
Rebate $5250
Sale price $30479

Reaction score
Got this offer from a local dealership.

What are your thoughts? Would I be able to haggle this offer down to $36,000 out the door? I would be able to walk out with $33,000 factoring in my trade in worth $3000

Attachments

• 19191A1D-57A2-498B-A89E-CB8836A9FE71.png
    19191A1D-57A2-498B-A89E-CB8836A9FE71.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 51

Cravenschild

Reaction score
NewRamBuyer, its honestly going to come down to your preference. I spent the extra money on the level 2 package because if I was going to spend 35-45K on a vehicle it was going to be something I would enjoy completely for many years. The spray in line helps protect the truck, and most people end up adding it later on anyway so might as well have it done from the get go. That package also includes lighting in the truck bed and storage hooks/bars for strapping things down. My level 2 also has the sun roof and the alpine sound system. In the long run don't let 1500-2000 dollars keep you from getting the slightly more loaded truck if you plan on keeping it. That is maybe a $10-20 per month difference in payment depending on interest rate you get.

Users who are viewing this thread