5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play in Lower Control Arm Ball Joints

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
UPDATE - My lower control arms have been replaced very much to my satisfaction!

Huge shout outs to @RamCares, Carrie at RAM/Stellantis, and Quirk CDJR in Marshfield MA. After a couple discussions, it was decided that my control arms would be replaced under warranty with just a $250 deductible! Took a while for the control arms to come in, but they're installed and all is well.

I have to say I was most impressed with RAM in how they treated me and my issue. Genuinely took interest, understood my complaint, and took pretty decisive action quickly. All around, one of the best customer service experiences I've ever been a part of, professionally or personally.

My general PSA - before you get to 36K miles on your truck, get the lower control arms inspected, just in case. They would be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty and you might not be as lucky as me.
Hey there!

Thank you for the tag! We're so glad that you got your vehicle fixed and had a great experience!

Callie
Ram Cares

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score
Appears to be a lip on the top and bottom of the ball joint so I just don't see how it's possible to press it out. Maybe if I get bored I will experiment with it a little bit.
View attachment 127122 View attachment 127123

Appears to be a lip on the top and bottom of the ball joint so I just don't see how it's possible to press it out. Maybe if I get bored I will experiment with it a little bit.
View attachment 127122 View attachment 127123
We are attempting this right now! Everything I have researched has said this ball joint is a replacement. 🤞 IMG_3821.jpeg IMG_3822.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3819.png
    IMG_3819.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 47

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score
Nice, keep us posted. I have two perfectly good LCA's sitting in my garage that could use some new ball joints.
It worked, just grind the top of the old ball joint off where it is pressed over. Then press it out and press in the new one. Then cold shot the top of the newly installed joint to keep it in place like anyone replacement.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It worked, just grind the top of the old ball joint off where it is pressed over. Then press it out and press in the new one. Then cold shot the top of the newly installed joint to keep it in place like anyone replacement.
What do you mean by "cold shot the top"??

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, a 20 buck ball joint and a cold shot kit v.s a complete lower control arm that has not been "hacked "with?
Curious mind want`s to know...

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score
Pics of new ball joints in old control arm? I didn’t think this was a possibility and mine might need replacing soon.
I will try to get a picture tomorrow, truck is filthy with the early winter thaw.

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score
Pics of new ball joints in old control arm? I didn’t think this was a possibility and mine might need replacing soon.
Here is a picture of the OEM ball joint on the passenger side and the replacement that we did on the driver side.

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3965.jpeg
    IMG_3965.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31

skyhawk42

Reaction score
so did you grind the old ones or just press them out? Is there a clip on the new ones?

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score
so did you grind the old ones or just press them out? Is there a clip on the new ones?
So the top of the OEM has to have the tops grounded down to be pressed out. The replacement I bought didn’t have any clips. So it was just pressed back in and “cold shot” which is you just take a punch and hit the edge out a little to act like a retaining clip.

JCLAYTON13

Reaction score

Peen might be the proper vernacular in this case
If that’s the word you would prefer…. Then yes “peen” the top. There are other ball joints that have a retaining clip that is installed on the top side but they are usually sold out. I was lucky enough to have bought the last two for backups just incase I need to do another one.

Users who are viewing this thread