5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating the 4x4 system

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The easiest way I tell is if you have the 4wd auto button you have the 48-11.

If not you have the 48-12.

You can also go to this link

enter your VIN and it will tell you every option your truck has
i guess i got the clutch ha :/ i hope it dont over heat while im off roadinf 😂☠️

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i guess i got the clutch ha :/ i hope it dont over heat while im off roadinf 😂☠️
The key is to keep forward momentum. If you are getting in and out of the gas the clutches will slip. If you are crawling around and coasting off of obstacles...the clutches will heat up.

Once you select 4wd lock or low...it will be better than 4wd auto...but still...the clutches will slip.

Judging we have not had much talk on this issue...either it has been addressed...or no one is using their truck off road...lol

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The key is to keep forward momentum. If you are getting in and out of the gas the clutches will slip. If you are crawling around and coasting off of obstacles...the clutches will heat up.

Once you select 4wd lock or low...it will be better than 4wd auto...but still...the clutches will slip.

Judging we have not had much talk on this issue...either it has been addressed...or no one is using their truck off road...lol
i go with no one off roading😂☠️
yea i noticed the a few things but i used it a bunch and 4 lo and high were solid

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My offroad use is limited to fields and rough trails. I don't foresee any rock crawling or attempting Moab. ;)

My biggest obstacles are ditches, fallen limbs/trees, and mud. The slopes are fairly benign (by Moab standards). And, I don't go so far out into the wilderness that my cell phone loses signal, so it's not a life-or-death situation even if I did get jammed up. I know that all of the above can be different for others.

I'm really happy with the system as I currently have it.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know on the Canadian website when you build the new you you can get the Auto or just the normal T-case. Think the auto is about $300 more so when you got your you must have checked that box.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know on the Canadian website when you build the new you you can get the Auto or just the normal T-case. Think the auto is about $300 more so when you got your you must have checked that box.
not for me :(

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Puts my mind at ease some. Thank you 👍🏻
I don't think the weather has changed much, at least where I am, but have you had a chance to put your truck through its paces to see if it will hold up as you need?

LouNY

Reaction score
Well now that I've gotten most of a winter on my "19" Laramie with the 48-11 I will say that it works much better then the 44-44 ever thought of working. I do not trust it completely as at different times it has behaved a bit different.

The clutches in this 48-11 do hold much better then the ones in the 44-44 did stock, and maybe a touch better then the 44-44 did after I installed Brandon's switch kit.

On the 48-11 when in the lock mode you can feel a bit of binding and jumping while doing a tight turn. Not as much as a non-clutched t-case but some.

This winter on very slick spots it worked well for walking up and easing through. I couldn't feel any difference in the t-case at light throttle loading the electronic clutch seemed to stay looked up good and tight. This is using very limited throttle to try and avoid breaking the tires loose and loosing all traction.

All in all this 48-11 t-case hasen't tried to kill me like the 44-44 did, I also didn't intenionally stop and get out of the truck on as steep and icey section to see if it came out of 4wd whrn put in park, that situation didn't happen to come up this year.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well now that I've gotten most of a winter on my "19" Laramie with the 48-11 I will say that it works much better then the 44-44 ever thought of working. I do not trust it completely as at different times it has behaved a bit different.

The clutches in this 48-11 do hold much better then the ones in the 44-44 did stock, and maybe a touch better then the 44-44 did after I installed Brandon's switch kit.

On the 48-11 when in the lock mode you can feel a bit of binding and jumping while doing a tight turn. Not as much as a non-clutched t-case but some.

This winter on very slick spots it worked well for walking up and easing through. I couldn't feel any difference in the t-case at light throttle loading the electronic clutch seemed to stay looked up good and tight. This is using very limited throttle to try and avoid breaking the tires loose and loosing all traction.
I know your post is a month old here, but my situation is almost the same as yours. My 2014 had the 44-44, and it was the primary reason for trading that truck in; I could not trust it's 4x4. I also purchased Brandon's switch kit, and unfortunately for me, it was only a mild improvement.

I had read and heard that the 48-11 was better, and yes, it really is. Almost night and day. No regrets.

vandersnoot

Reaction score
Only time I had the overheating warning show up was when I sunk my truck to the frame rails in snow and was spinning the tires. Once I got the truck pulled out, no issues for the rest of the trip, which consisted of 4x4 low, rear locker engaged for the whole day. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with the 4wd system.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Only time I had the overheating warning show up was when I sunk my truck to the frame rails in snow and was spinning the tires. Once I got the truck pulled out, no issues for the rest of the trip, which consisted of 4x4 low, rear locker engaged for the whole day. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with the 4wd system.
Me too. My new 2020, down to the frame, but it wasn't in snow, it was soft powdery sand with my 30' trailer in tow. Had to dig, air down to 13psi and my snapped me out with his diesel Excursion. First time in 72 years of towing - not fun.

jafred

Reaction score
Just had the 4wd over temp warning while hunting in Idaho. Climbing steep rocky slopes in 4 low. I have the Ecodiesel and installed a Pedal Commander to combat the "dead pedal" feeling. I did turn the setting down when in 4 low but after reading the thread turning it completely off may have been best. Has any more testing been done with the bypass switch?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into swapping a bw 48-11 for a 48-12? I can't find anything on size comparison or if it would work. I've seen write-ups on 4th gen between the two t-cases and using a tazer programmer to change what transfer case the truck thinks it has. Id rather give up the auto for true 4x4, If I go into high on asphalt to test I want to feel bind up, which I don't in this one. I've also had my big horn offroad package with the locker and give me the overheat code on the dash. But it still acts weird, even with the code 4x4 stayed engaged, just wouldn't let me Rev above 2k... for a clutch transfer case, I still feel it bump in when shifting into 4x4 high.... making it feel like a non clutch tcase. And it will climb ramps in my shop for oil changes in low range. Truck had ab 3000 on it when it went into limp mode trying to pull my sister out of the dich on a snow day. Had both Trac and esc off that day.

That's what I'd love to know. The 48-12 would be an easy swap mechanically. The case should bolt right up, and then you have to use the driveshaft(s) from the donor 48-12 truck also. what I wonder though is the programming. Can you just swap out the switch bank on the dash and then have a dealer program it? Or is it way harder than that?

Maxmarik

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll read it once I get through that other discussion thread on RAM Forum. I think I'll probably go with Brandon's switch (if he releases one for the 5th gen) and if/when the TC fails out of warranty do a direct 44-45 swap. If I have the truck that long.

It appears the 5th gen has a different TC than the 44-44 actually.
Need help with my truck, 4x4 is overheating, tried everything nothing helps, can’t get it to work, you guys talk about Brandon switch, how can I get it and where? Im really trying to figure this ******** out with 4811 t case

Smon

Reaction score
I do still have a solid gear swap for the 4th gen 44-44. Not sure if its the same and can be used. It worked great for its intended use, the only issue I ever had was the transfer case switch got confused and would not move the 1st (2wd) position. It moved about 80% of the way, so it was still going from 2wd to 4wd (totally locked rather than clutched), but it would not disconnect the front driveshaft from spinning. The front diff was still disconnected. I didn't see any issues or loss of mpg while I ran it.

If someone wants to give it a shot, I will sell it for dirt cheap. I could probably fit it in the small flat rate USPS box.

jcolez28

Reaction score
Guessing you have the 48-11 (44-44) AKA 4wd auto transfer case.

This is why the Rebel does not use this transfer case.

The 48-11 (44-44) uses clutches to engage 4wd, even in 4wd lock.

The 48-12 (44-45) in the Rebel uses a direct chain drive.

The 48-11 (44-44) never locks and actually switches in and out of 2wd 4wd while operating.

4 wheel low will help some, but you basically overheated the clutches.

Why i get so anxious when someone says it is stupid the Rebel doesn't offer 4wd auto.

My educated guess.

Love the bumper mod
What does this have to do with the fix or his problem?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does this have to do with the fix or his problem?
That post is almost 4 years old dude. And, I believe what he was saying is that he would not have had the problem if he had the 44-45 Transfer Case.

Users who are viewing this thread