5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating the 4x4 system

troverman

Reaction score
Note the sensor and electrical connector off to one side, away from the main connector near the shift motor. I wonder if this transfer case has a real temp sensor or its algorithmic.

Pristine1

Reaction score
How much did your mpg suffer with the tires you have?
It really seams pretty close to the same mpg. Maybe a 1/2-1mpg at most. In the past with gas engines I lost an easy 2 mpg going up a couple sizes. So this is rather refreshing. The tires measure about 2 inches taller and about 12 lbs a piece more. I’m getting a solid 18mpg towing my 2k 5x8 enclosed. So far around 12 with the 7600 lbs travel trailer on the big tires. @ 65 mph.

JD300WM

Reaction score
I wish I would’ve seen this forum and thread BEFORE I bought my 2021 RAM BigHorn North edition. This literally makes me nauseated because I use my trucks in just about every scenario described here where the system sucks at except rock crawling. I NEED true, locked 4wd for some of the snowy, icy, steep back roads that I travel in WV, western MD, and PA. I have a utility trailer that I haul materials, ATVs, and UTVs on that I have to back up on slippery terrain at times. And we have had a few snows the last 5 years that accumulated up to over 2’ of snow that I have to try to make it to work in. My 02 Silverado Z71 has never let me down in any of the above situations. I guess I’ll have to keep it to be the REAL 4x4 and use this $50k+ RAM as a friggin mall crawler. I knew I should’ve bought a Silverado Trail Boss. Having a brand new truck with a fake 4wd system is like being a man having no genitalia.
I may see what kind of trade in I can get on a Rebel or 2500.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I would’ve seen this forum and thread BEFORE I bought my 2021 RAM BigHorn North edition. This literally makes me nauseated because I use my trucks in just about every scenario described here where the system sucks at except rock crawling. I NEED true, locked 4wd for some of the snowy, icy, steep back roads that I travel in WV, western MD, and PA. I have a utility trailer that I haul materials, ATVs, and UTVs on that I have to back up on slippery terrain at times. And we have had a few snows the last 5 years that accumulated up to over 2’ of snow that I have to try to make it to work in. My 02 Silverado Z71 has never let me down in any of the above situations. I guess I’ll have to keep it to be the REAL 4x4 and use this $50k+ RAM as a friggin mall crawler. I knew I should’ve bought a Silverado Trail Boss. Having a brand new truck with a fake 4wd system is like being a man having no genitalia.

Silverado Trail Boss uses a clutch-based transfer case (MP3023) that operates the same as Ram

JD300WM

Reaction score
Silverado Trail Boss uses a clutch-based transfer case (MP3023) that operates the same as Ram
Really🤔 Thanks for the info. I did not know that. My 2002 Silverado Z71 has the auto 4wd option, but I never thought about whether it uses clutches or not. It has never failed me, kicked out, or left me stuck in 2wd.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I have had mine in some nasty mud on some fairly steep incline and decline without a problem. Snowy climbs, no problems. Haven't run across any heavy ice per se, just frozen snow pack. Again, no issues. 2ft deep creek crossing, no problem. Good tires, air down, you're likely to not have an issue.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thrashed mine in deep sand for 10 minutes straight, didn't want to stop for fear of losing momentum. Coolant, oil, and transmission temps were very high, the whole truck had that hot smell. No complaints from the 4x4 system. The clutch is for smooth 4 auto engagement. Its basically locked when in 4 hi or 4 lo, might be slightly more complicated than a chain drive but will still take a beating

JD300WM

Reaction score
I thrashed mine in deep sand for 10 minutes straight, didn't want to stop for fear of losing momentum. Coolant, oil, and transmission temps were very high, the whole truck had that hot smell. No complaints from the 4x4 system. The clutch is for smooth 4 auto engagement. Its basically locked when in 4 hi or 4 lo, might be slightly more complicated than a chain drive but will still take a beating
Good to hear. Thank you👍🏻

JD300WM

Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Puts my mind at ease some. Thank you 👍🏻

LouNY

Reaction score
I have not seen a parts breakdown of the newer t-case in the new 1500's.
The modes of operation are the same as the previous ones, if the internals are similar
under decent traction conditions they will hookup and work good.
The previous ones such as I had in my 2015 Big Horn and a ball and cam ramp,
as the rear axle tried to turn faster then the front was the torque created by the rear ends traction would shove that
ball and cam together which in turn would apply the clamping force to the t-case clutch pack.
The electric part is only for the initial activation the ball and cam is what provided the clamping force to hold without slipping.
When the previous t-case would act up and over heat was in low traction conditions with the rear axle as without traction torque is not developed
and the ball will not clamp the clutch pack and with only the electrical trying to engage the clutch pack and RAM's idiotic programming not putting
full voltage to the clutch pack it will slip and over heat.
Hopefully this newer generation behaves better, I haven't had mine in those conditions yet to see how it behaves.
Packed wet snow or wet ice on hills is were mine had it's problems and Brandons kit helped that immensely.

Smon

Reaction score
The previous ones such as I had in my 2015 Big Horn and a ball and cam ramp,
as the rear axle tried to turn faster then the front was the torque created by the rear ends traction would shove that
ball and cam together which in turn would apply the clamping force to the t-case clutch pack.
The electric part is only for the initial activation the ball and cam is what provided the clamping force to hold without slipping.
The activation was 100% electronically controlled via the clutch pack. The physical activation via the transfer case actuator only allowed for the possible connection to the front axle (as well as a separate disconnect on the front transfer case). The actuation was essentially only used to disconnect the front driveshaft from turning under the small amount of friction, not to apply drive force.

When I did the solid gear swap in my 44-44, the actuator control would not match up with the fork positions of a 44-45. With the 44-44, the position really didn't matter as the clutches did all the 4 wheel drive work.

LouNY

Reaction score
The activation was 100% electronically controlled via the clutch pack. The physical activation via the transfer case actuator only allowed for the possible connection to the front axle (as well as a separate disconnect on the front transfer case). The actuation was essentially only used to disconnect the front driveshaft from turning under the small amount of friction, not to apply drive force.

When I did the solid gear swap in my 44-44, the actuator control would not match up with the fork positions of a 44-45. With the 44-44, the position really didn't matter as the clutches did all the 4 wheel drive work.

The activation of the t-case clutch pack was electrical, after it was engaged electrically the ball and cam in the t-case applied much more clamping force to the clutch pack.
When the ball and cam didn't apply the clamping force the clutch pack would slip under load and over heat.
The physical activation in that case was simply for neutral and low and back to Hi.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I picked up my 21 Bighorn a few weeks ago. I like having 4x4 auto as my truck sees use on tons of different boat ramps. Other than getting out of wet grass in our barn lots I will only really need 4x4 for some snow usage.

I was curious about the operation of this case after reading here. In the rain the other day in 2wd I easily spun taking off with minimal throttle. I engaged 4x4 auto and took off with more power and had 0 rear wheel spin. My road is very busy and 55 mph so that will be helpful in snow or rain getting into a hole in traffic.

For what it’s worth, at work a few days ago I engaged 4x4 lock and even turning slightly it bound up like a locked system would.

Camelot

Reaction score
Coming from the off road world, if you truly go off road (Sand, mud and ruts) use 4 X 4 LOW. Seen a few Jeeps burning on the trailside because they did not and the transmission could not take it anymore.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guessing you have the 48-11 (44-44) AKA 4wd auto transfer case.

This is why the Rebel does not use this transfer case.

The 48-11 (44-44) uses clutches to engage 4wd, even in 4wd lock.

The 48-12 (44-45) in the Rebel uses a direct chain drive.

The 48-11 (44-44) never locks and actually switches in and out of 2wd 4wd while operating.

4 wheel low will help some, but you basically overheated the clutches.

Why i get so anxious when someone says it is stupid the Rebel doesn't offer 4wd auto.

My educated guess.

Love the bumper mod
was reading this but my rebel 2021 has 4wd auto

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
was reading this but my rebel 2021 has 4wd auto
At the time it was wrote...the Rebel did not come with the 4wd auto case. That has since changed...I would still recommend the other case for serious off roading...but the auto case is great for everything else.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the time it was wrote...the Rebel did not come with the 4wd auto case. That has since changed...I would still recommend the other case for serious off roading...but the auto case is great for everything else.
lol sad times for me cause i like to go off roadinf and feel like my rebel got the weaker t case 😂

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol sad times for me cause i like to go off roadinf and feel like my rebel got the weaker t case 😂
I would like to think RAM has made some adjustments to it for the Rebel. But the sad truth is trucks just are not used the way one would presume.

I am sure as long as you understand the possible short comings, it will do just fine

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to think RAM has made some adjustments to it for the Rebel. But the sad truth is trucks just are not used the way one would presume.

I am sure as long as you understand the possible short comings, it will do just fine
i mean i will take care or it and do all the stuff needed to maintain it but kinda sad my truck would be limited and possible have issues. when its suppose to be a off road vehicle … how can i find out which t case i have ? i seen some rebels 2021 have no auto also so im abit confused

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i mean i will take care or it and do all the stuff needed to maintain it but kinda sad my truck would be limited and possible have issues. when its suppose to be a off road vehicle … how can i find out which t case i have ? i seen some rebels 2021 have no auto also so im abit confused
The easiest way I tell is if you have the 4wd auto button you have the 48-11.

If not you have the 48-12.

You can also go to this link

enter your VIN and it will tell you every option your truck has

Users who are viewing this thread