5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating the 4x4 system

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are we sure that there's an actual physical difference between the two T-Cases, aside from minor component differences? Based on what little I could find online, I'm not. Borg Warner themselves group the two together.

I remember reading something when this thread first kicked off that gave the strong inference the only real difference is software and programming. Of course I can't find it now, however I got nuthin but time, so when I do I'll post it up.

My strong suspicion is that 4A isn't offered in the Rebel or Tradesman for reliability reasons... so the choice is either on or off. The concern, I think, is that 4A on a truck that frequently goes off road would get premature clutch wear. Big Horn's, Laramie's, etc. are presumed to go off road a lot less, so 4A would have less wear and is included. Again, it's just my theory.

I'll be happily proven wrong if there's some supporting info.

Smon

Reaction score
Huge difference between the two physically - one has clutches, the other has solid gears.

I did a 44-44 to 44-45 gear swap. The issue I had was with the internal programming of the 4x4 switch. The front driveshaft does not turn in 2wd normally with a 44-44. Once you engage 4wd (or auto), the front diff locks the axles and then the driveshaft turns when power is needed.

Once I went into 4wd, the TC motor could not figure out to all the back to the 2wd indent and unlock the driveshaft. The front diff still unlocked, but the front driveshaft was always spinning until I manually reset the motor. Honestly probably wasn't and issue, but it bothered me.

I still have the gear kit and extra TC motor. Had it installed for maybe 6 months. Never actually got to use it offroad.

I don't know if the same concept applies to the 5th gens with different programming. My guess is that it's the same. Less stuff turning equals better mpg and less wear.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 44-44/45 so I can't speak for them. The 48-12 doesn't use clutches? How does it engage 4WD seamlessly while the truck is in motion?

I've found a few blurbs from when I was poking around, but not the main one I read before:

If you Google search "Borg Warner 48-12" the third result directs you to a BW press release for the 5th Gen Ram:
Auburn Hills, Michigan, March 27, 2018 – BorgWarner debuts its Electro-Mechanical On-Demand (EMOD) transfer case on the 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 pickup truck. Building on BorgWarner’s proven Torque-On-Demand® clutching system, the new EMOD technology delivers faster response and higher torque output for better on- and off-road performance. For automakers, the scalable system offers easy traction calibration and integration for a variety of vehicles, from small SUVs to heavy-duty pickup trucks.

From Off-Road.com:
"Two transfer cases are available on the truck. The Borg Warner BW 48-12 offers a 2.64 low-range ratio and selectable four-wheel drive. Opting for the BW 48-11 brings along an on-demand feature called 4WD Auto, which will send power to whichever wheels need it. That case also has a 2.64 low range. " (emphasis added to show the author understood that 4Auto was an added capability, not a completely different system)

From a Ram PDF press sheet:
"The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity." (emphasis added to show RAM discussing both T-Cases as having the same characteristics and enhancements, again suggesting they're the same platform)

I'll keep digging...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 44-44/45 so I can't speak for them. The 48-12 doesn't use clutches? How does it engage 4WD seamlessly while the truck is in motion?

I've found a few blurbs from when I was poking around, but not the main one I read before:

If you Google search "Borg Warner 48-12" the third result directs you to a BW press release for the 5th Gen Ram:
Auburn Hills, Michigan, March 27, 2018 – BorgWarner debuts its Electro-Mechanical On-Demand (EMOD) transfer case on the 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 pickup truck. Building on BorgWarner’s proven Torque-On-Demand® clutching system, the new EMOD technology delivers faster response and higher torque output for better on- and off-road performance. For automakers, the scalable system offers easy traction calibration and integration for a variety of vehicles, from small SUVs to heavy-duty pickup trucks.

From Off-Road.com:
"Two transfer cases are available on the truck. The Borg Warner BW 48-12 offers a 2.64 low-range ratio and selectable four-wheel drive. Opting for the BW 48-11 brings along an on-demand feature called 4WD Auto, which will send power to whichever wheels need it. That case also has a 2.64 low range. " (emphasis added to show the author understood that 4Auto was an added capability, not a completely different system)

From a Ram PDF press sheet:
"The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity." (emphasis added to show RAM discussing both T-Cases as having the same characteristics and enhancements, again suggesting they're the same platform)

I'll keep digging...
Thanks

RainDesert

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I thought this recent thread might give me some insight. Today I was up on logging roads in about 12" of snow. I was in 4x4 and the truck engine temp reached 224. Is that normal for this truck? I did make sure the Efans were working and they were, at least when I checked. This was my first time off road and using 4x4. I have the 48-12 if that matters. Thanks.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’d think if the outside temperatures were at the point that the foot of snow wasn’t a river, your truck wouldn’t run that hot, unless it was a real 4Lo slug, then I’d be more concerned with transmission temps.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I thought this recent thread might give me some insight. Today I was up on logging roads in about 12" of snow. I was in 4x4 and the truck engine temp reached 224. Is that normal for this truck? I did make sure the Efans were working and they were, at least when I checked. This was my first time off road and using 4x4. I have the 48-12 if that matters. Thanks.
I've seen my truck's temps get that high from time to time, usually at idle after driving for a while. The fan kicks in briefly and the temp comes back down. Did it stay there or go down after a minute or two?

RainDesert

Reaction score
I've seen my truck's temps get that high from time to time, usually at idle after driving for a while. The fan kicks in briefly and the temp comes back down. Did it stay there or go down after a minute or two?
It was not there for very long. I noticed it, then within a few minutes it was heading back down to 200-205 range. That is where it was most of the time. I was just a little surprised it climbed up to 224 first. It was 35-40 degrees up there today. I was pushing fairly hard in 4hi for about 5 mins at times, as I didn't want to stop until I had a turn around.
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Yeah, I ignorantly thought 4x4 meant 4x4. It should really be advertised as a really good AWD system. If they did that I might have put up with all the red in the Rebel interior lol. I would be in a new Power Wagon after all this, but now I'm waiting to see what the TRX is going to do. I will be in one of those as soon as the TRX drops and I can decide which to get.

Most people will never see this shortcoming. Enjoy your trucks!

The money I was going to put towards a TRX/Power Wagon went to this instead. Scratches my track day/fast car itch. The best part is I registered it for street use. So basically a second car for me. My truck makes a cameo and the end of the video....

Ram1992

Reaction score
The money I was going to put towards a TRX/Power Wagon went to this instead. Scratches my track day/fast car itch. The best part is I registered it for street use. So basically a second car for me. My truck makes a cameo and the end of the video....

How does the mopar kit with ORP springs perform off road?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now imagine that same trip in a 717HP supercharged Hemi. The soundtrack would be more pleasant and the jumps probably a bit more comfortable.

I have no need or reason to own a TRX...but I sure would like to drive one

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Now imagine that same trip in a 717HP supercharged Hemi. The soundtrack would be more pleasant and the jumps probably a bit more comfortable.

I have no need or reason to own a TRX...but I sure would like to drive one

I took out the muffler baffle on the car to make it sound more aggressive. It's pretty glorious now at 11,000rpm. This thing is running a Fox podium 2.5 crossover setup. The TRX would be lucky to get an equivalent suspension. I'm going to spend Friday on the highspeed trails dialing it in.

How does the mopar kit with ORP springs perform off road?

Like factory. Granted I only had the OEM suspension on the truck for about a month. I could feel the higher center of gravity over the front end on pavement at the limit. Not a worry for most.

Last edited:

Ram1992

Reaction score
I took out the muffler baffle on the car to make it sound more aggressive. It's pretty glorious now at 11,000rpm. This thing is running a Fox podium 2.5 crossover setup. The TRX would be lucky to get an equivalent suspension. I'm going to spend Friday on the highspeed trails dialing it in.

Like factory. Granted I only had the OEM suspension on the truck for about a month. I could feel the higher center of gravity over the front end on pavement at the limit. Not a worry for most.

Have you experienced any kind of bouncy feel on the pavement?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Any new developments on the 5th gen switch?

Nothing yet. I'm just waiting on v2 of the switch to test.

I suggest that if you're interested in this switch that you go and let them know. Not much demand for a 5th gen swtich right now. Ask them for it here:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Hey everyone who's following the switch on the 4th gen and Anthonys truck, I just wanted to chime in and say I Havnt forgotten about you guys with the newer models. Ive been crazy busy with other projects but, I will circle back around to doing more development on my switch to make it cooperate with the new trucks. I'll get back to you guys once I find out what's going on and get more in depth testing done.
Thanks
Brandon

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Hey everyone who's following the switch on the 4th gen and Anthonys truck, I just wanted to chime in and say I Havnt forgotten about you guys with the newer models. Ive been crazy busy with other projects but, I will circle back around to doing more development on my switch to make it cooperate with the new trucks. I'll get back to you guys once I find out what's going on and get more in depth testing done.
Thanks
Brandon

I was going to reach out to you the other day, but didn't want to bug you :) Hope the move is still going well.

I took this video a while back for Brandon so we could see if the new 5th gen 48-11 TC really does react faster than the 4th gen 44-44 TC like BorgWarner claims in their marketing material. It's much faster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread