5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My catch can and intake are on the way from T&S Speed Shop....They have a few catch cans for the ED instock...I think they had 3 if anyone was looking.

Sparcky

Reaction score
whats the scoop with some that have breathers on top and some don't?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
whats the scoop with some that have breathers on top and some don't?
The ones with breathers on top are generally used in supercharged, ior turbo applications on the fresh air side of the system

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Catch can and intake from T&S.....as others have said - Its HIGH quality from what I can tell.....if anyone wants pics I can post or email. Just fire me a message. I'll install once the weather is a little nicer.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is what I have

PQY Oil Catch Can Baffled Oil Separator Tank 6oz for Trucks Compatible with 09-on Dodge Challenger Ram 1500 2500 5.7L 6.4L Hemi Black https://a.co/d/gzJqCfz

Just ordered this one, thanks for the tip.

Hoping it cuts down on my knocking/pinging. It's not likely to help but worth a shot.

silver billet

Reaction score
This is what I have

PQY Oil Catch Can Baffled Oil Separator Tank 6oz for Trucks Compatible with 09-on Dodge Challenger Ram 1500 2500 5.7L 6.4L Hemi Black https://a.co/d/gzJqCfz

My CC just arrived, pretty disappointed with it. Looks like the "filter" aspect is just some metal shavings they threw in, and the likely hood of some of those shavings or pieces of it entering my intake manifold are very high.

It's going back immeditately. Hopefully your filter is different, but you may want to double check that.

The rest of the filter seems high quality from a first glance, have no idea what they were thinking with those shavings, it's a complete WTF if you ask me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My CC just arrived, pretty disappointed with it. Looks like the "filter" aspect is just some metal shavings they threw in, and the likely hood of some of those shavings or pieces of it entering my intake manifold are very high.

It's going back immeditately. Hopefully your filter is different, but you may want to double check that.

The rest of the filter seems high quality from a first glance, have no idea what they were thinking with those shavings, it's a complete WTF if you ask me.
It should have course steel wool in it. You can take it apart and check. Mine came empty and I added the steel wool

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's not a filter as such. Sure, it will filter out anything large enough to be caught in the mesh. But its main purpose is to help with condensing the vapors which enter the can into a liquid state so it can be contained within the can. Obviously no pieces of the media should leave the can though.

silver billet

Reaction score
It should have course steel wool in it. You can take it apart and check. Mine came empty and I added the steel wool

Maybe I over reacted, I'm completely new to CC's. This is what was inside:

You guys aren't worried about this or steel wool pieces breaking off, even if it's stainless?

cc.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I over reacted, I'm completely new to CC's. This is what was inside:

You guys aren't worried about this or steel wool pieces breaking off, even if it's stainless?

View attachment 157428
No issues. It should never break off. And the steel wool is what helps slow down the air to conense the vapors. You need it for the catch can to function properly

Insanity

Reaction score
I got the same looking stuffs I don't ever think it will pass through the holes in the baffles then it has to have enough vacuum to lift it up and go through the other baffle holes. The metal cover things didn't fit over the hoses so they are still in the box. If I ever get a burr up my 4th point I might be bothered to get hose that they fit over, probably not.

I did add a barb to my drain plug and a foot of the cheap clear tube from the hardware store to make draining cleaner.

Attachments

• 20230425_182735.jpg
    20230425_182735.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 36

silver billet

Reaction score
Guess it's just me then. After looking around a bit on the net it appears that putting stainless steal material/wool in as the "filter" is very common and recommended. But going to be honest, it gives me the heebie jeebies, I just picture a little bit of that stuff breaking off and ending up inside my engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess it's just me then. After looking around a bit on the net it appears that putting stainless steal material/wool in as the "filter" is very common and recommended. But going to be honest, it gives me the heebie jeebies, I just picture a little bit of that stuff breaking off and ending up inside my engine.
If it did find its way out of the catch can, it would have to make its way through the PCV valve, which wouldn't be easy. And then if it gets passed that, would end up in intake manifold and would have to get lucky to make it into a d through a runner

lapoolboy

Reaction score
If it did find its way out of the catch can, it would have to make its way through the PCV valve, which wouldn't be easy. And then if it gets passed that, would end up in intake manifold and would have to get lucky to make it into a d through a runner
Kinda like fertilization 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread