5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize the purpose of the catch can is to catch the vapors and collect it as condensated liquid.
No, actually I thought the purpose was to catch the oil and particulates carried by the PVC vapors. Your own photo seems consistent with that. If you want to condense all the water vapor too, I think you'll need a lot bigger container and keep it significantly cooler than the engine. Near as I can tell, water vapor is no problem for the engine to recycle. Heck, ambient air is loaded with the stuff. Oil you can make an argument for, and particulates definitely good to catch. That's my take on it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, actually I thought the purpose was to catch the oil and particulates carried by the PVC vapors. Your own photo seems consistent with that. If you want to condense all the water vapor too, I think you'll need a lot bigger container and keep it significantly cooler than the engine. Near as I can tell, water vapor is no problem for the engine to recycle. Heck, ambient air is loaded with the stuff. Oil you can make an argument for, and particulates definitely good to catch. That's my take on it.
In winter, you will see a lot more water condensation. Sometimes it will drain out looking like a milkshake. Catch can placement has some to do with it as well. If your engine is operating at the correct operating temperature, there shouldn't be much water vapor in the crankcase to condensate.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

In the winter months. You’re going to get a lot more moisture / water vs oil in your can and have to empty it more often. This is nothing new. It’s well documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately we won’t have a ending to this.

Apparently they even had a special tech come in and try and fix it. But it’s intermittent when it stays locked in v4 mode.

Well still no ending to this. The dealer is still trying to figure out this issue on his old truck. He visited today.

He is a guy who went off the olm vs doing 5/6k oil changes. So maybe a oil passage is partially blocked somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online